Casca Sculpture round 2!

Re: Casca Sculpture

O thanks! That's quite a compliment considering you pretty much own the art forum! All my techniques were learned while spending nearly 7 years with McFarlane toys. I sculpt in wax and use a lot of dental style sculpting tools. You can see a bit more of my work here... http://ehrenbienert.blogspot.com/
Here's a photo of the portrait. Clean up went pretty smoothly. Nothing too tricky. Of course the hair takes a while to clean up and there is a seem from the mold on the face but to put it all in perspective, I cleaned up the casting and painted it in the time it took to watch Ninja Scroll. LOLOLOL :slan:

paint1.jpg

Oh God this one about Caska is so good... I love particularly your ability to create such details with the clothes, which is really difficult In my humble opinion...
Could you tell us more about the process you uses ? How many hours did you spent on Caska ? What kind of 'framework do you use to build something like that ? Will it be possible one day to see a timelapse about one of your works ? It would be amazing...

I saw your other works on Mc Farlayne toys... Very Impressive, actually it's the kind of things I like to buy X]...

By the way, good continuation ^^

Much better facial detail than the AOW statues I've seen of Casca. I'm actually really interested in learning to sculpt things like this (statues, figures, etc.) any tips on how to start learning?

Hey thanks again everyone. I'd say that I've spent about 120-140 hours working on Casca to get her this far. I don't have any time lapse videos of myself sculpting but it's something I've thought about. Maybe one day... my problem is that I just want to dive right into work! I don't even remember to take photos most of the time. My process is very traditional. I use wax called castilene that is quite hard and actually does not require an armature because it can be melted together and it just stays there until you apply heat to it again. I start by blocking in the basic forms of the body. Really basic shapes to show the pose and proportion of the head, torso, waist, arms and legs. Once I have this 'rough sculpt' where I want it, I start doing the anatomy. I always get the anatomy pretty refined before I add armor or clothing because if the anatomy is wrong, the stuff you put on top of it will look weird. From that point on it just gets really tedious. The final steps of refining the details of the sculpt take forever! Often I need to go back over things 4 or 5 times before I'm happy with it. The portrait is always very challenging as well. A human portrait is the most difficult thing to sculpt. Especially an attractive female. It's easy to make something look ugly LOL! My advice for anyone interested in the arts is to study the human form. It is the most complex and beautiful object there is. Once you can draw, paint or sculpt a human adequately, everything will fall in place behind it. I went to a classical art school and sculpted from nude models for hundreds of hours. It takes a lot of work and patience but if you are determined you could do this too!

Thanks for all these informations Silvia !
A few more questions anyway :guts:... So, you are making a "nude" version of the character, and only when you get satisfied with this nude anatomy version, you put clothes and armor ?

Could you say In how many parts do you split your sculpture ? For Caska, we can see you Cut off her head, to be more confortable I guess to work on it. Did you cut other parts ?

So, you block the massive shape in its global nature and you cut just after into pieces to work each part separately ? or not ?

Sorry for all the questions, you just makes me want to do the same ...

Anyway I love your art, you've got true skills, can't wait to see a final version of your Caska =]

Yes that's right. I sculpted a naked Casca first! LOL Then as I begin to detail the sculpt I will break it down in to pieces. Casca's legs, arms and head come off. The torso and waist are one piece. the cape, sword, and scabbard all come off as well.

At first it looked (at least to me) a little chubby on the photos, but with the paint on the face is spot on perfect.
Awesome project. Although I have very little interest in figures/statues (all the nice looking ones are just too expensive, I prefer to buy a ton of comics instead) I'd really like to have one as beautiful as that.

My Casca Sculpture FINALLY!

I need to take better photos but these will have to do for the time being. This thing has been kicking around my studio for like a year now. Glad to see it finished. Hope you like her
paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

paint1.jpg

This was a long time coming. The pics don't do it justice. I need to snap some pics with my SLR. Meh

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

As a Dodgers fan, I'm disgusted, but As a Berserk/Art enthusiast, I'm delighted! I agree with Gobolatula, very nice work, silvia. :ubik:

Hey is anyone gonna be at Comic Con NY next weekend (8-10)? This Casca sculpt will be there. At the Brain Theft booth. Stop and say hi!

silvia said:
Hey is anyone gonna be at Comic Con NY next weekend (8-10)? This Casca sculpt will be there. At the Brain Theft booth. Stop and say hi!

Ahh! I'm going to be out of the country!!! Balls!!! Otherwise, I'd totally go!

Top Bottom