another short translation... please? :]]]

CnC

Ad Oculos
actually, Olivier, its closer to, "its been a while, HASN'T IT?"

i jest, of course.

but seriously... i've heard Osashiburi and just sashiburi (one being more formal than the other i'm guessing)... but whats HIsashiburi?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
"It's been a long time", something among those lines.
pardon me, but with my very little knowledge, i believed that desu=it's and ne was a 'reprise' , just as Cnc has shown in his post. Does it disappear with a less litteral but more appriate translation ? is it that ?

Translating all the "ne"'s isn't _absolutely_ necessary as it can actually get a bit tedious...
Have you played the US version of Final Fantasy X? "Y'know?" ^^

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Translating all the "ne"'s isn't _absolutely_ necessary as it can actually get a bit tedious...
Have you played the US version of Final Fantasy X? "Y'know?" ^^
in fact, i'm not a ff player ( well i've played to the one or two but before the 7 ^^ )

but seriously... i've heard Osashiburi and just sashiburi (one being more formal than the other i'm guessing)... but whats HIsashiburi?

same as the former, just another way of saying it (though, i think it may be more polite. not 100% on it though).

CnC

Ad Oculos
figures... thanks for the clarification... i think i'm gonna stick to the first 2 :)

...less confusion

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Another note, you probably just aren't hearing the "hi" in "hisashiburi". In common speech, "hisa" is pronounced more like "h'sa". Generally when there's two unvoiced consonants like that with a "u" or "i" in between, the vowels become unvoiced.

Other examples where vowels are often unvoiced:
"kusa" pronounced "k'sa" (grass)
"chikan" pronounced "ch'kan" (groper/pervert)
"fukai" pronounced "f'kai" (deep)
"hiten (mitsurugi ryuu)" pronounced "h'ten" (for all the Kenshin fans ;))
and one more, for anyone who recognizes it...
"kutabare" pronounced "K'TABAREHHHHH!"

CnC

Ad Oculos
i'm perfectly aware of the silent vowels... thanks tho.

i guess my question would be phrased better if i asked is there even a "sashiburi" or am i really hearing, "hisashiburi". Because up till now all i've only heard it spoken to me...
...you should see me around the japanese people i know here, i'm the guy with the deer-in-headlights look

"eigo de, eigo de, eigo de"

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
You're probably hearing "hisashiburi".

I guess people can shorten it so much that it becomes just "sashiburi" in speech. But it's not a separate word, nor a separate meaning.

It gets worse though... at least it isn't "ba-ro-" (shortened version of "bakayarou" :p), or "zakennayo" (shortened version of "fuzakeru na yo") or anything like that. ^_^

And don't feel bad... I have an actual freelance job translating, and I *still* freeze up ninety percent of the time I actually try and talk to anyone Japanese. ^^;

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
"katte ni shiro" is one way. It's a bit rude and grudging, though. Anyone have more polite ways?

Top Bottom