Dead Space 2

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yep. Lookin forward to it. The draft stuff looks great so far. Lookin forward to dispatching hordes of creepy necrokids. And they promise some sanity issues, so, I'm hoping we'll get at least one reversal where you realize you've gone nuts and killed a bunch of your own team.

From IGN:

EA: Dead Space 2 Will Have Modern Warfare-Level Action
The company says its survival horror sequel is less survival and more action; compares the game's intensity to Modern Warfare and Uncharted.
by Matt Casamassina
February 5, 2010 - Last December, Electronic Arts revealed that internal studio Visceral Games was underway with a sequel to the acclaimed survival horror title Dead Space. Then, the publisher said that series hero Isaac Clarke would prove more aggressive and that the sequel would also include a new online mode.

Speaking to IGN, senior vice president and head of Visceral Games, Nick Earl, offered a few more details about the anticipated project -- namely, that action and polish are at the forefront of the sequel. Earl even compared the effort with two non-EA franchises known for their undiluted intensity.

"I can tell you that we're a little more focused on action horror as opposed to survival horror. We just created a really beautiful sequence that we're showing internally -- we haven't showed it externally yet, but we will get it out there soon -- that I think speaks to the high voltage nature of the game," he said. "Some really strong action sequences that I think are on par with the level that we're seeing in the Modern Warfare series and with the level that we're seeing in Uncharted. Just beautiful, visual imagery and very electric action."

He also said that Dead Space 2 will see further polish, "... which is saying a lot since Dead Space was so highly rated."

While he wouldn't yet talk about any more specifics, he did say that the experience would prove "jaw-dropping in terms of scale and scope."

"I feel very confident about where Dead Space is. I can tell you that we're not resting on our laurels. We're going very, very aggressively to take it to the next level," said Earl.

Proj2501 said:
From IGN:

EA: Dead Space 2 Will Have Modern Warfare-Level Action
The company says its survival horror sequel is less survival and more action; compares the game's intensity to Modern Warfare and Uncharted.
by Matt Casamassina
February 5, 2010 - Last December, Electronic Arts revealed that internal studio Visceral Games was underway with a sequel to the acclaimed survival horror title Dead Space. Then, the publisher said that series hero Isaac Clarke would prove more aggressive and that the sequel would also include a new online mode.

Speaking to IGN, senior vice president and head of Visceral Games, Nick Earl, offered a few more details about the anticipated project -- namely, that action and polish are at the forefront of the sequel. Earl even compared the effort with two non-EA franchises known for their undiluted intensity.

"I can tell you that we're a little more focused on action horror as opposed to survival horror. We just created a really beautiful sequence that we're showing internally -- we haven't showed it externally yet, but we will get it out there soon -- that I think speaks to the high voltage nature of the game," he said. "Some really strong action sequences that I think are on par with the level that we're seeing in the Modern Warfare series and with the level that we're seeing in Uncharted. Just beautiful, visual imagery and very electric action."

He also said that Dead Space 2 will see further polish, "... which is saying a lot since Dead Space was so highly rated."

While he wouldn't yet talk about any more specifics, he did say that the experience would prove "jaw-dropping in terms of scale and scope."

"I feel very confident about where Dead Space is. I can tell you that we're not resting on our laurels. We're going very, very aggressively to take it to the next level," said Earl.

I realise MW2 sold quite well but I wish devs wouldn't hold it so highly. This is the second time I've seen devs comparing their game to it and IMO, MW2 lacked a lot of substance. I can't say I like this turn Dead Space 2 is taking. It seems like it's going to ruin the atmosphere that the first Dead Space did so well.

I know those suits look cool and all, but has anyone explained why the main character is running around in engineering suits again? Isn't there better armor available in the far future or do engineers just have the pinnacle of damage resistance gear?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I know those suits look cool and all, but has anyone explained why the main character is running around in engineering suits again? Isn't there better armor available in the far future or do engineers just have the pinnacle of damage resistance gear?
Maybe he got caught while on the job again?

I think I'd go into long term retirement after the crazy crap that happened in the last game. Imagine the space bucks Isaac could have gotten suing that mining company. :troll:

Oburi said:
Was it a lot more action oriented or did still have that creepy survival aspect?

Very creepy moves very slow at first then moves very fast. The demo was pretty long too I feel it maybe more creepy then the first for a reason you learn while playing the demo.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finished Dead Space 2 the other night. I thought it was awesome and I really loved the ending (
the fake credits trolled me so hard).
I do miss the silent hero from the first one but by the end it didn't matter because what was happening was just so interesting and cool. The graphics are beautiful as well.

BTW,
did anyone else expect to see something like the first game when Isaac looked over to Ellie at the end? She just looks confused and asks "What"? I thought it was a great nod to the first game.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Finished Dead Space 2 the other night. I thought it was awesome and I really loved the ending (
the fake credits trolled me so hard).
I do miss the silent hero from the first one but by the end it didn't matter because what was happening was just so interesting and cool.

It was all serviceable to the real point of the game, shooting necromorphs in new and exotic locales, but nothing special.

Oburi said:
The graphics are beautoful as well.

Now that really served the game. Though seemingly fewer "wow" moments in that regard than the first, as well as less bosses or unique enemy encounters (in zero G for example). Perhaps I'm remembering the first too fondly, but my point is this one wasn't much different save for some of the environments, and seemed to do fewer unique gameplay situations in favor of more straight up fighting.

Oburi said:
BTW,
did anyone else expect to see something like the first game when Isaac looked over to Ellie at the end? She just looks confused and asks "What"? I thought it was a great nod to the first game.

I think everyone expected it since they obviously set it up that way, and it was an obvious payoff to boot. I have mixed feelings about ending on that note, it's sort of the cheesy equivalent of this. Also, the epilogue
message from Revolver Ocelot revealing the dozens of potential Dead Space sequels and spinoffs out there
was the worst.

It took me like two years to finish Dead Space 1 cause I kept getting tired of every place looking the same and backtracking all the time. Beat this one in a couple of days. Superior to the first, except it wasn't scary at all, and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary bideo gaems. Then again, it's basically Aliens while the first game was Alien, so.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
dwarfkicker said:
Beat it on Hard Core

I technically beat it on Hard Core. :carcus:

Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
It took me like two years to finish Dead Space 1 cause I kept getting tired of every place looking the same and backtracking all the time.

"Isaac, there's a leaking faucet in engineering, could you go back there and fix it before you get my clothes from the laundry area? Also, pick up lunch for the rendezvous point."

Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
Beat this one in a couple of days. Superior to the first, except it wasn't scary at all, and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary bideo gaems. Then again, it's basically Aliens while the first game was Alien, so.

Interesting comparison, I thought both could get repetitive at times, and it hurts 2 more for being the second time around. Though, I didn't have trouble getting through either, and definitely thought the first one was scarier and more effective in and of itself. I still enjoy 2 very much, it's a logical progression and they didn't try to fix something that wasn't broken, but I just wish they'd upped the ante a bit more.

Top Bottom