Will Isidro enter the lair of the Sea God?

How do you think Isidro will react to what the girl told him in episode 312?

• He ventures forth, considering himself a "pro" when it comes to these situations. The girl follows.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • He recklessly enters the cave, and the girl runs to the village to warn them.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • He runs back to the group with the girl in tow.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He runs back to the group. The girl goes her own way.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • He and the girl are in danger inside the cave. Puck flies to Guts to save them.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • He's stepping back but it's too late, the Sea god is already stirring.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • He gets possessed!!

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

puella

Berserk forever
We have less than a week to answer this poll since the next episode will come out soon. Hurry and vote! :troll:

Actually it was a very hard question for me. I can't stop expecting them to end up like Tom Sawyer and Becky. :guts:
So I voted for option 1. My two cents are on "He ventures forth, considering himself a "pro" when it comes to these situations. The girl follows."

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm going with number 1, as well. My guess is that this will eventually lead to Puck racing off to Guts to get help. :void:

Went with number one, but I could easily see them already being in trouble and Guts having to come save them. :isidro: Would also presumably be a quick and easy way to deal with this side island and move along with the story, assuming that this is just a stepping stone to Elfhelm naturally.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
sanjii said:
Would also presumably be a quick and easy way to deal with this side island and move along with the story, assuming that this is just a stepping stone to Elfhelm naturally.

They stopped on that island for a reason, and from a storytelling point of view that reason is most certainly not just to repair their ship (a pretext that might have been why we saw more of the pirates in the first place). Something's cooking, and I don't expect them to just quickly move along after slaying a random monster.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
The first one is my pick as well.

Aazealh said:
Something's cooking, and I don't expect them to just quickly move along after slaying a random monster.

Yes, and there's the possibility that after this Sea God quest, the scene will come back to Falconia.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
Yes, and there's the possibility that after this Sea God quest, the scene will come back to Falconia.

Which do you think Isidro will get, the Flippers or the Zora armor? :troll:

King_Zora_OoT.png

Behold the Lord of the Sea!

I voted for option one but I thought about a more far-fetched option: He enters the cave and finds nothing except that the girl is not just a girl.

Aazealh said:
They stopped on that island for a reason, and from a storytelling point of view that reason is most certainly not just to repair their ship (a pretext that might have been why we saw more of the pirates in the first place). Something's cooking, and I don't expect them to just quickly move along after slaying a random monster.

Oh, I agree with you, I'm not saying that there isn't some purpose to this island, there almost certainly is. I was more trying to reference the fact that it seems lately the story has been moving forward a little bit more quickly, and so perhaps Isidro will quickly get into trouble, quickly be saved and then we will find out why they are on this island, they'll realize where they need to go next, etc. Of course assuming that they aren't already on Elfhelm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
I voted for option one but I thought about a more far-fetched option: He enters the cave and finds nothing except that the girl is not just a girl.

That's an interesting possibility and one that I also considered at first, but yeah when you look at the girl and her dialogue it seems a bit unlikely.

sanjii said:
I was more trying to reference the fact that it seems lately the story has been moving forward a little bit more quickly, and so perhaps Isidro will quickly get into trouble, quickly be saved

I wouldn't say that it was moving "slowly" before. The merging of the worlds wasn't going to happen in a single episode, nor was the war against the Kushans.

sanjii said:
we will find out why they are on this island, they'll realize where they need to go next, etc.

Well as far as the story goes they only stopped there because their ship was damaged during their fight against the ghost ship. They're supposed to leave the following morning. If everything goes well they won't have any special place to go to other than Elfhelm after that.

sanjii said:
Of course assuming that they aren't already on Elfhelm.

We already know they aren't on Skellig (the island Elfhelm lies on).

puella

Berserk forever
Aazealh said:

http://aazealh.net/Divers/King_Zora_OoT.png

Behold the Lord of the Sea!

Well, I kinda agree with you since I'm imagining the Sea God might look like a sort of merman.

Aazealh said:
That's an interesting possibility and one that I also considered at first, but yeah when you look at the girl and her dialogue it seems unlikely.

I wouldn't say that it was moving "slowly" before. The merging of the worlds wasn't going to happen in a single episode, nor was the war against the Kushans.

Well as far as the story goes they only stopped there because their ship was damaged during their fight against the ghost ship. They're supposed to leave the following morning. If everything goes well they won't have any special place to go to other than Elfhelm after that.

We already know they aren't on Skellig (the island Elfhelm lies on).

i was more referring to smaller story arcs in the larger whole when i said moving more quickly, for instance the rosine arc, was far more nuanced, in my opinion, than say the neo-band of the hawk dealing with ganishka. the merging of the worlds was a huge undertaking that you could really say has been developing since the eclipse. but whatever, this is all speculation anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

As of right now yes they dont have anywhere else special to go besides Elfhelm, but who knows what will happen on this island. this is the beginning of the elfhelm portion of the fantasia arc, which to me implies that its still going to be a bit of time before we actually get to Elfhelm. there is probably some story development miura needs to accomplish before the crew can move on to skellig (along the same lines of the crew getting involved with the trolls, so that Guts could eventually get his berserker armor).

Which brings me back to my original post. I voted for the first option because i think there is a good chance the involvement on this island will be deeper than just a passing trip to repair and get some supplies. there will be a plot development essential to later events. BUT i qualified that statement with the idea that, based on the recent rapidity of smaller stories, this development could happen quickly so that maybe we can move closer to the much anticipated Elfhelm on skellig. whether that means they now need to go to a new island who knows, course it seems like they will have to stop somewhere else doesn't it? roderick said something along the lines of "doesnt look like we will be able to get supplies here after all" if i remember correctly

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:

Ahahah! :guts: When I'll get a Twilight Princess, and I'll try those equipments, I'll think about it!

Anyway I have to agree with you, I think too that the Sea God could be a kind of (giant) merman.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:
Well, I kinda agree with you since I'm imagining the Sea God might look like a sort of merman.

I have a hard time imagining that honestly. Considering the shape of the idol I'm expecting something not human-looking.

sanjii said:
i was more referring to smaller story arcs in the larger whole when i said moving more quickly, for instance the rosine arc, was far more nuanced, in my opinion, than say the neo-band of the hawk dealing with ganishka. the merging of the worlds was a huge undertaking that you could really say has been developing since the eclipse.

More nuanced? What do you mean? The story of Rochine was contained in a single chapter (Lost Children) that was covered in 23 episodes, continuously and without interruption. By comparison the conflict between Griffith and Ganishka (which was on a much bigger scale) was only shown on and off and across 3 times more volumes, different locales and involved a lot more characters. It's hardly comparable, and given the magnitude of the events I'd rather argue that it was done quickly (31 episodes, counting only those involving Ganishka's side versus Griffith's and excluding those featuring Guts).

sanjii said:
there is probably some story development miura needs to accomplish before the crew can move on to skellig (along the same lines of the crew getting involved with the trolls, so that Guts could eventually get his berserker armor). Which brings me back to my original post. I voted for the first option because i think there is a good chance the involvement on this island will be deeper than just a passing trip to repair and get some supplies. there will be a plot development essential to later events.

Actually I believe that's what I told you myself after you said you hoped they could be quickly and easily done with the island.

sanjii said:
BUT i qualified that statement with the idea that, based on the recent rapidity of smaller stories, this development could happen quickly so that maybe we can move closer to the much anticipated Elfhelm on skellig. whether that means they now need to go to a new island who knows

Ok, but I don't see the relevance in comparing the war against the Kushans and the merging of the worlds to an adventure on a small island. And I don't see what point there would be in quickly moving on from this island only to stop on yet another island on the way, but maybe that's just me. I think we already have a good basis for character development here with these strange villagers worshipping a mysterious sea god. I'm not in a hurry to see them leave.

sanjii said:
course it seems like they will have to stop somewhere else doesn't it? roderick said something along the lines of "doesnt look like we will be able to get supplies here after all" if i remember correctly

He just said he was expecting to restock on food but that it seemed unlikely considering the welcome they're getting. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll have to stop somewhere else or that said stop will need to be detailed in the manga. The main reason they landed was so the ship could be fixed.

Marik said:
Anyway I have to agree with you, I think too that the Sea God could be a kind of (giant) merman.

That was puella's post actually; personally I don't find the merman idea especially likely.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
That was puella's post actually; personally I don't find the merman idea especially likely.

Yes I know, in fact I used "you" meaning you and Puella, since she agreed with you about the idea. Then if you don't find this idea good it's a misunderstanding of mine.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
Yes I know, in fact I used "you" meaning you and Puella, since she agreed with you about the idea. Then if you don't find this idea good it's a misunderstanding of mine.

Yeah, the Zora reference was just a joke because you were talking about a "quest". No harm done.

Anyway, this talk of sea god reminds me of what Schierke had said about the Kundalini being powerful enough to be considered a god by polytheists.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
Yeah, the Zora reference was just a joke because you were talking about a "quest". No harm done.

Ok got it, no problem.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, this talk of sea god reminds me of what Schierke had said about the Kundalini being powerful enough to be considered a god by polytheists.

So you suggest that "Sea God" couldn't be meant as the absolute one?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Marik said:
So you suggest that "Sea God" couldn't be meant as the absolute one?

Oh yeah, I definitely don't expect it to be a Poseidon-like figure who rules over all sea life. More like a powerful monster whose wrath is best not incurred. If any being is supposed to serve as the "absolute" master of the sea I would rather think of the elemental king of water, and I don't think he's situated in a cave on some podunk island.

I agree with Aaz. An alternative which there is currently no bearing for would be a Wizard of Oz like scenario where the little girl is controlling the Sea god behind a curtain.

Aazealh said:
Oh yeah, I definitely don't expect it to be a Poseidon-like figure who rules over all sea life. More like a powerful monster whose wrath is best not incurred. If any being is supposed to serve as the "absolute" master of the sea I would rather think of the elemental king of water, and I don't think he's situated in a cave on some podunk island.

maybe this sea god will turn out to have something to do with the pirates being under the control of some unknown entity. the whole encounter took place relatively close by and it would be a good opportunity to have them return to the story pretty soon. course that would mean the sea god would have some way of leaving the cave or have something under its control that can

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
sanjii said:
maybe this sea god will turn out to have something to do with the pirates being under the control of some unknown entity.

You know, I've actually been thinking about exactly the same thing ever since the episode came out... It would also make it possible for all the villagers to be transformed as well (next episode would have them attacking the group!), with the girl being an outcast. But I don't know, it doesn't really fit with the ghost ship being apparently sapient and having glowing eyes in its portholes (and Schierke not relating the two Ods together). Would be a pretty cool development nevertheless.

Aazealh said:
You know, I've actually been thinking about exactly the same thing ever since the episode came out... It would also make it possible for all the villagers to be transformed as well (next episode would have them attacking the group!), with the girl being an outcast. But I don't know, it doesn't really fit with the ghost ship being apparently sapient and having glowing eyes in its portholes (and Schierke not relating the two Ods together). Would be a pretty cool development nevertheless.

Yeah the Schierke point is a good one, my other thought was that the sea god might have something to do with one of the God Hand, kinda like Slan's image being in the bonfire of the sex cult, but there is absolutely no basis for that, just might be cool. :void:

Also, while the battle with the pirates happened relatively close (it seems) to the solitary island. Don't forget that the sea horse had traveled quite a distance since leaving the pirates with crippled ships floating in the ocean (some number of days I think?) The pirates were then able to catch up to the seahorse at an alarming rate. But I think that makes it likely that any correlation to how close the recent battle is to the Island, doesn't mean much if you consider how far away from the Island the pirates were demonized.

puella

Berserk forever
Many people voted for option 1, myself included. But do you guys really think Isidro is so reckless as to think he can even fight a monster like the sea cucumber? I doubt it. I guess in that regard he will have to assume there's no monster in the cave for some reason.

Also, I personaly think the god is much more powerful than something like the Kundalini, considering what Schierke says (Od wrapping the whole island). I also like the idea that the god could be related to the pirates' transformation. And he might even be the one who transformed the pure, innocent and nutritional sea cucumber into a monster.

Top Bottom