Lord of the Rings: The two Towers

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
What do you think?

Like "The Fellowship of the Ring" it was surpassing my expectations - once more.

It was close to perfection. Directing, Camera, CGI, Acting, Music, etc... were just incredible.
They focussed a lot on the battle of Helm's Deep - well i didn't have a problem with that. ^^;

Never seen a fully animated character of such perfection as Gollum - it's truly unbelievable what can be accomplished in this field today - if you have a budget. ^^

Some Scenes were really close to my imaginations when i read the second book of tolkien's fantasy epos.

-TS

P.S. IMO there are too many "Hollywood-needs-to-be-in-the-movie-events". Does Gimli really have to be funny all the time?
How about the first inner monolog (dialog?) of Gollums/Smeagols split personality? :-\

Other than that, it was a fantastic movie.

BOB

poruno sutâ
liked it i think. have to watch it several times tho.
some cheap blue box shots made me angry as there was this perfect cgi gollum on the other hand.
also the exorcism was too cheesy and some of legolas remarks as well

CnC

Ad Oculos
Gollum arguing with Smeagol was the best acting i've seen done by a cg character... why? because you sometimes forget that he doesn't exist.

And i thought the mood would have been almost too dark without gimli.
"Well you sure picked the perfect spot"

The13thScroll

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Yar, the high point of my year. I saw it Wed. at noon, and the theater was packed. Helms Deep, jesus man, what an orgy of battle that was! Gandolf and the Ents etc were all amazing. Gimli was awesome too. C'mon he was funny as hell. "We dwarfs aren't good at running long distances, we're sprinters." or " Toss me, but don't tell the elf." Classic. ;D And Gollum has to be seen to be believed, fo shizzy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Two Towers is a big, fat, juicy masturbation fest. The last time I saw that much walking/jogging/running in a movie was either any given Roger Corman movie, or Chariots of Fire (which is cheating since its about Track). This film proved to me one thing, and one thing alone: Yep, that sure was a boring, ill-paced adaptation of an OK book.

The lowest point in the film for me was struggling to get through Helm's Deep (Helm's Deep Pit of Agony). Although that's being fairly nice, since any scene associated with Theoden (Theo from here on) was just pure torture. Look, Mr.Jackson. We really don't care about Theo or Mr.Huxtable. Or the fact that he just "lost" his only son. Please move the camera away from his general vicinity.

Of course, we can't overlook the heroes of the story. The random rebelers Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. The crowd I was in loved Legolas. I couldn't figure it out until I realized he's basically Boba Fett with blonde hair. And british. I still think Aragorn's casting is poor, but it does work... somewhat. The few Aragorn flashbacks with Agent Smith's daughter Liv Tyler were well done and weren't overly boohoo, in my opinion. The laugh a minute Gimli could have been toned down, but this isnt really the main fault of the film. Its the whimsical world of Tolkien and I wouldnt change it for all the nerds in the world.

Right, onto the main fault of the film: MOTHERFUCKING PACING.

Whoever thoguht it was a good idea to intersplice scenes of Helm's Deep (LETS BATTAL A LOT!) and the sloowww, meandering dialogue of the Ents... was pure genius, pure motherfucking genius. It was a very effective way to cut off the audience's appeal of 50% of the story. I remember reading that section of the book and loving it. The ents came off as giant bowling balls, which really isn't fair to their characters as established in the book.

I praise the Gollum scenes. Although some of the comedic elements weren't necessary. That could just be my reaction to general theater crowd banter/laughter, but I digress. Gollum's character has always been my favorite in the LoTR series and I thought they did a damend fine job of juxtapositioning Smeagol's light with Gollum's dark.

But every chance I got to the point where I could have possibly enjoyed the film, theyd switch to a terrifically boring Ent scene or more BATTALING at Helm's Deep ("RETREAT!").

Ultimately, I simply couldn't enjoy this movie. I honestly tried and was even looking forward to it, even though I didn't like the first movie in theatres (but am at least nuetral in opinion over the 4-set DVD (which I bought, *gasp!*)

-Walter
(Let the flames come forth) 8)

CnC

Ad Oculos
I agree with your gripe about the cutting between the battle and the ents... they seem to be on opposite ends of the exitement spectrum.

Guess i don't make the connection between legolas and boba fett... don't get where you're coming from. I got over the fact that agent smith (with hair) is the elf dude in the last movie (he even uses the same tone of voice in the matrix). I thought gimli was funny. Gollum was great.

I'm gonna go see it again sometime soon... just need to find some time. ( it being 3 hours and all).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Guess i don't make the connection between legolas and boba fett... don't get where you're coming from.
It's the one-dimensional badass syndrome.
I got over the fact that agent smith (with hair) is the elf dude in the last movie (he even uses the same tone of voice in the matrix).
Not me. Im convinced he'll forever be typecast.

BOB

poruno sutâ
thank you both for being the only americans who don't give us this general "oh wow" "that was sooo awsome" "that's sooo cool" blah blah.

Seen it twice now and i might add that there's a lot of utter bollox in it but some more subtle stuff was quite good. i loved brad dourif's performance for example and Gollums junkie appearance is also still standing out

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
It gave me chills of joy and sadness, it was great the second time i saw it, the first time i was a little disapointed with the anti-climatic cuts and the cheap modifications just to put a little action on the screen (wargs fight) and to move things faster (what the hell was that "exorcism"?)...
But when i saw it for the 2nd time i was more relaxed, and let the emotions flow, without criticizing this or that just for not being in the book, or for being a lame adaptation (faramir :( )...we have to see that this film is not meant to be a faithfull transcription of the book, its just "based by", and i think PJs vision of the book is on screen (and he had to inclued climax situations in all 3 parts of the movie, altought some are bullshit) and he worked hard for several years to bring this epic to us, and almost his changes were for the best, so dont be such a critic...

It happened to me with fellowship and again with the TT, the first time i saw them, i was very judgemental, but the movies somehow grow on you the more times u see them...

Just enjoy the movie for the great epic that it is, cause it stands tall in front of all the crapppy movies that are going out these days, people are just criticizing alot...

And i dont consider myself a tolkien fan (i only like the silmarillion)
but this movie deserves 5 stars!!!

Yar, the high point of my year.
Yeesh, and I thought I had a bad year overall :p I'm sorry!

Well, since I saw it with Wally I can pretty much mirror what he felt, but to a much lesser degree. The cuts were disgustingly ridiculous and really took away a consistent feeling. It also in NO WAY stood on its own as a film - but given the way these three movies are being released, I suppose that's a moot point.
At least pretty much everyone agrees that Gollum rocked, and I'd have words with anyone who said otherwise. It's not too often you can feel torment coming from a CG character, or forget for a time that he/she isn't real.
I guess I don't have too much to say about this movie that hasn't already been said, but I was overall fairly neutral about it. But I will say this - I'm not seeing Return of the King until maybe 2 or 3 weeks after it's opened and everyone has seen it. I'm starting to realize that I enjoy a movie a lot more if I just see it on my own and I'm not bombarded by a bunch of maniacs jeering and screaming around me when their favorite character comes on screen...But maybe that's just me. Star Wars Episode 3 will be the same.
Terminator 3 is well...another story. 8)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Two Towers = Versus with a bigger budget.
goodblow.jpg

Terminator 3 = Commando 2003.

bennenator.jpg

-Griffith

P.S. Wow, I just realized I like the retarded Yakuza psycho in Versus more than any character in Two Towers... I feel empty.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Arnie's gettin' on.. he's what? 50?
Those machines are becoming adept at blending in with present day america they're even putting on a couple of pounds to be unnoticiable to the rest of obese america.

Sounds like the entire appeal of the movie is that the "new" terminator is fine

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Really a great movie:
"the only thing u can say bout it is: UH and WOW!"(H.Grant)

"Ich saß und konnte es nicht fassen,er kann das nicht mache!nicht mit mir ;nicht mit uns!doch er macht es...."(M.Johnson)

"u watch it and u be like...ähm iwish i couldseethatagain!"(K.Malone)

don t hate me but i didn t finish the first book yet... :p
*screams* >:(

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
trapped_soul said:
Does Gimli really have to be funny all the time?

on a side note, Gimli visited my town!!!!!

I mean, the guy acting him came here as they were shooting some movie about a female musketeer or something, and he was in it. Then he fell from the set and got hurt pretty bad, but was ok in the end. He's really a cool guy while he's not a dwarf... :D

p.s.-forgive the morondom of this post

Cloud Strife

Ive got a big sword to damn it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really a great movie:
"the only thing u can say bout it is: UH and WOW!"(H.Grant)

"Ich saß und konnte es nicht fassen,er kann das nicht mache!nicht mit mir ;nicht mit uns!doch er macht es...."(M.Johnson)

"u watch it and u be like...ähm iwish i couldseethatagain!"(K.Malone)

don t hate me but i didn t finish the first book yet...
*screams*

Sorry to flame but people who speak diffrent languages in boards fucking pisss mee off. i speak 4 diffrent languages myself. Why on gods green earth am i going to speak german in a english board? Hm? hmmm? make me wang size bigger? Make me feel more intelegent? Just what exactly does it do for you? ::breath:: ok im done now >.<

BOB

poruno sutâ
Cloud Strife said:
Sorry to flame but people who speak diffrent languages in boards fucking pisss mee off. i speak 4 diffrent languages myself. Why on gods green earth am i going to speak german in a english board? Hm? hmmm? make me wang size bigger? Make me feel more intelegent? Just what exactly does it do for you? ::breath:: ok im done now >.<

he's right. maxi schäm dich was

maximus

Cloud Strife said:
Sorry to flame but people who speak diffrent languages in boards fucking pisss mee off.
Mais pourquoi mon ami?
i speak 4 diffrent languages myself.
zán'nen nagara damé des!
Why on gods green earth am i going to speak german in a english board? Hm? hmmm?
(EARTH 70% covered with water-->blue planet) ;)

u don t have to if u don t want 2!
make me wang size bigger? Make me feel more intelegent? Just what exactly does it do for you? ::breath:: ok im done now >.<
hehe *lol* i m kind of amused that it bothers u soo much but itell u it wasn t ment offensive or anything (make me wang size bigger? Make me feel more intelegent? ).
it was just an insider for my friend trapped_soul and maybe for anyother who may got a clue what i was talkin about.
Actually my mother tongue is German so i just wanted to put in some fun for some certain people...
others might not get it even if i d translate it because as i said :IT IS AN INSIDER!
So why don t u just accept that and stop loosing nerves about things that are absolutely none of ur buisness!
apart from that i don t think that it would be very impressive to show off some language skills on this board cauz nearly every part of this world is represented here and people.
Furthermore there this guy named Olivier that overshadows everyone concerning knowledge and i guess that putting some words in german doesn t really challenge anyone here at all!!
I think that this right here:
ispeak 4 diffrent languages myself

that is exactely that attitude u talk about right?

think about it and u ll find out that this is absolutely ridiculous!

NOBODY CARES!
WHY DON T U USE UR SUPER KNOWLEDGE BOUT LANGS AND POST IN 4 DIFFERENT LANGS...
IF NOT WHY DON T U TAKE A F....HOTEL ROOM WITH UR FREAKING 4 AND F OFF!??
I DON T CARE!!

Das meiste dieser post ist eh nur spass aber ich finde trotzdem das du ein bißchen überreagierst,oder??

BOB

poruno sutâ
your reaction was well designed and creative but impollite as fuck and i don't quite get the logic behind posting "insider" stuff on an official forum that ain't none of other peoples business. that's bullshit elitist attitude and a dipsy tipsy tiny bit premature. moanst net bua?

maximus

BOB said:
your reaction was well designed and creative but impollite as fuck
urs aswell!^^;
and i don't quite get the logic behind posting "insider" stuff on an official forum that ain't none of other peoples business. that's bullshit elitist attitude and a dipsy tipsy tiny bit premature. moanst net bua?
ok this post i put in was partly an insider but only partly!
those are just three quotes of famous bball playaz that some of u even might know.
one quote is translated in german because i only know it in the german version which is really funny one!
(btw. those quotes are from the "Above and Beyond" video)
so if anyone who doesn t understand german or the quote at all,is pissed and fucks off because of that,i can t do anything bout it.
it is truely not the first time that some nonsense or inside stuff is posted on this board and btw. i am not the only one!(u just did it!)o_O
Of course posting this inside shit everytime would be pretty damn bullshit,...
BUT this was only one little sentence,damn it!
i didn t want to show any attitude or fuck everyone off at all!!
i really don t understand why u step on me because of that...
Simply ridiculous in my eyes! :p

Top Bottom