8.8 Chilean Earthquake

Santiago, Chile was just hit with an 8.8 magnitude Earthquake (worse than Haiti's which was 7.0).

My father was in the capital, Santiago, and I am unable to get in touch with him to see if he's alright.

I know there's some Chilean members (I believe) that post here. I hope you all are safe.

Please keep everyone in Chile and my father in your prayers.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Proj, I'm sorry to hear such bad news that involve someone in your family. I hope there aren't many casualties for you and the country of Chile.

Thanks guys. I haven't heard anything from any of my family there. So, no news is good news as far as I'm concerned. My father has good wits about him and knowing him, if he can't use the phones or internet then he's either helping people or documenting it.

Chile has the most powerful earthquakes in recorded history, thankfully not the deadliest.

Edit: He just called. He's fine. Thanks for the good wishes guys.

All my other relatives are fine too.

Turns out my father drove over this huge bridge and 15 minutes after he crossed, it collapsed. The lucky fuck.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
All my other relatives are fine too.

Turns out my father drove over this huge bridge and 15 minutes after he crossed, it collapsed. The lucky fuck.

Hahaha with that kind of luck he should start gambling. :void:

Anyway this is really a relief, and I hope the country itself wasn't hit too hard.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Good to hear your family is safe Proj.

For anyone who hasn't read an article about it yet, this seems to be the current breakdown: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Apparently, Chile was also hit with an earthquake with a magnitude of 9.5 back in 1960 (I think the biggest earthquake ever recorded?). Hopefully folks down there are well-equipped to deal with this sort of thing.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that your dad's doing alright, Proj. It's a terrible tragedy, and I really feel for the victims and their families.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Wow! That's so terrible...Too much of this stuff has been going on. So good to hear that your family was alright.

Back in 2004 we had a 4-5 Earthquake, can't imagine what 8.8 feels like. But I saw it on the news, pretty devastating. I hope there weren't many casualties.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not that it's very relatable but the north of France just got hit by a huge storm during the night, the fiercest in 10 years. There's at least 5 dead.

I live in Rancagua, it's located 90 km to the south of Santiago. The worst of the earthquake was around Concepción (800 km to the south of Santiago). Chile is a long country, so keeping the country connected always has been an issue. After the earthquake, all the main roads collapsed in some points.

Luckily, the epicenter wasn't in Santiago which is the most populated city and the center of the country.
Sadly some people went nuts an started to loot several stores, taking anything (from basic supplies to LCD TV's), so the government send the military to the most affected zones.

There are zones whose status is unknown and it's expected that the number of casualties arises (it's like 700 at the moment).
This isn't the first earthquake and certainly is not the last that will happen here, so we are relatively prepared (all buildings follow special rules and all that).

Proj: Is your father chilean or he is just working here?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know that things aren't as bad as they could have been. Sadly, looting and the like is always to be expected in such situations... Quite revealing of the opportunistic nature of human beings.

brinco said:
Proj: Is your father chilean or he is just working here?

He's 100% Chilean. He was there on business/visiting family. He and my uncle went camping just south on Concepcion. They were driving back up north back to Santiago and were a few miles away from the epicenter (on the highway) when it hit.

I hope you and your family are all safe Brinco.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Happy to hear your father is safe, Proj. Was legitimately worried when I first read the thread over the weekend, and was impressed with your calm.

Hope everyone else that has love ones there finds them well soon.

Thanks Proj, nothing bad happened to my family or friends. Your father was really lucky to be fine, specially in the highway.

Top Bottom