Be prepared for the apocalypse

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whether it be brought by zombies, humans, or the Christian God, at some point, shit is going to go down on planet Earth. Let's all be prepared by tossing around items that would be essential.

Example:
-backpack
-first aid kit (including gauze and basic medications to treat infections)
-flashlight w/ shake-to-charge feature
-machete
-shotgun w/200 shells
-campbell's soup 20x
-10-pack of Bic lighters
-bottle of lighter fluid
-cast-iron skillet (also used as a weapon)
-gas mask
-map of US, map of my city
-towel (because you never know...)

What would you guys pack?

If I've learned anything, I'd say pack a giant muscley dude with some sort of weapon. Those guys tend to do pretty well, though they do seem to have a real problem with actually keeping anyone else around them alive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
If I've learned anything, I'd say pack a giant muscley dude with some sort of weapon. Those guys tend to do pretty well, though they do seem to have a real problem with actually keeping anyone else around them alive.
What happens when that giant muscley man turns into a zombie and is able to overpower you?

Are we talking about being a mobile survivor?

-Firearm (if possible)
-Some type of pipe. (Long if you need to keep any nasties at bay or knock something down you can't reach)

-Compass
-Knife
-Backpack
-Fishing Line & Hook (Fishing line can have multiple uses: Snare Traps, Tourniquet, etc.)
-Rope
-Med-Kit
-Goggles ('cuz you need any shit getting into your eyes!)
-Weather resistant boots (a good pair, not sneakers that will far apart)
-Energy Bars (200 calories or higher. Light weight. Not like soup. Plus the fire will give your position away! C'mon Walter!) :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I was sure there was a better food to pack. I just really don't like energy bars.

Another basic necessity when scavenging off the land: a tool box, or at the very least, something like a Leatherman.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'd bring my gun gun. It's my gun that shoots guns. I'd only shoot it straight into my other hand so the gun doesn't accidentally shoot a gun at the zombies.

I would also need my Knife-Ray. It's like a regular ol' space age ray gun, but it shoots an endless barrage of knives at 60 kps (knives per second).

For clothes, I'd make sure to wear a suit made of the skin of the enemy force that is destroying our mama earth. That way they'd know I'm pissed.

Can't go wrong with Clif bars. Those things are like... Everything you need to sustain yourself... IN BAR FORM!

Plus I'd bring a female sidekick to, you know, keep things equal. I'd probably love the company of a batshit insane Sarah Connor character. Me-owww.

Well if we are dealing with the Undead, my ideal location would be a 2-3 story building (in case you have break out rope and get out of there) The bottom floor would need to be sealed and virtually airtight. If there were a flight of stairs (which likely, there would be), all the furniture, desks, bookshelves, mattresses, chairs would have to be thrown there to make it 'unclimbable'. It would also make sense to try and tear off sheetrock and throw that on the stairs as well. This is as imporant as sealing the doors and windows on the first floor. So the narrower the stairway, the better. If the building has a fire escape with a retractable ladder this would be ideal. It would also be the only way to get in and out of the building.

Also, it'd be nice if this was in a rural location. Obviously.

2nd location: An oil rig. It's big. You could fish... I can't think of anything else. Hope you like the water. :/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If any of you guys have read Walking Dead, I think the characters there had a good idea with a jail. With enough people, you can clear out what's there and then lock it down with the existing fences and security. In rural counties, jails are in relatively unpopulated areas and would provide plenty of room for basic farming needs to provide food.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I have read the Walking Dead. It was all fine and good but uh, look how that ended. :judo:
That was an external factor, not zombie-related. But yeah, always a possibility.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
A good coastal aquarium can be a fun place to hold out against zombies. There was one in Sarasota that would be easy to secure where you could run your own aquaculture without outside supplies. Plenty of space too and a nice view for defense n relaxation. But there's always the threat of attack by underwater zombies; gotta keep an eye on those grates.

Holing up somewhere apparently safe isn't enough. The place needs some strategically placed improvised traps, Home Alone-style.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the more elaborate you think of things, the less they'll work. A "trap" like a moat/draw bridge could be enough to hold off hordes of zombies.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I'm glad you asked Walter. A lot of my time is spent on this very real possibility of the undead coming for my sweet ass.

First off, you can't do anything without a proper armaments. You'll have to stick with an assortment of small arms for the situation at hand.
Weapons:
For long distance, stick with hunting rifles [assault rifles work also]. In a post-apocolyptic word, you, won't just come across Zombies. Survivalists will be more than happy to kill you, so keep in mind to splatter their brains from 300 meters away.
Close Quarters & MONT Warfare, go with a combination of weapons. Assault Rifles, Semi-automatic Shotguns and a handgun [as a sidearm for last resort].
Melee, be realistic, get a wooden baseball bat or a hatchet.

As for a personal inventory go for the following, compass, helmet, flack jacket, knee pads, I'd personally go for a small burner to purify my drinking water. Get a ruck sack and look for some place high where there wouldn't normally be much travel. Make sure to move very quickly to raid pharmacies. Stock up on, pain killers, antibiotics and birth control or condoms.

If you do have the chance to barricade your self into a home, go for it. Try to stay away from places with a lot of windows, they can easily be smashed, so lets avoid that! Prisons are the best idea, but I wouldn't go in tackling this alone or a small number of people, 15 to 20 recommended.

Also I'd recommend avoiding cities. You don't want to go to where it's most populated. You run a higher risk of getting diseased or infected, or better yet killed.

Very relevant question Walter.

In order of importance:
-Backpack
-My anarchist's cookbook :carcus:
-Knife
-Water
-Flashlight
-Med supplies
-Rope
-Radio/Walkie
-Hunting rifle

If attacked by zombies I'd probably hole up in my home. It's in the 3rd floor w/ catwalks around the whole building giving a good overview of the neighborhood and pretty easy to barricade.
But if the something else brings the apocalypse I'd probably just try to roam around far away from cities, in the mountains.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
But if the something else brings the apocalypse I'd probably just try to roam around far away from cities, in the mountains.

That's the answer. For zombies or anything else. Standard hunting rifle, camping kit, holing up in the mountains. And if survival isn't your thing, there are some nice isolated houses with all the comfort of modern life but built to run in stand-alone.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
First thing is, I'm not sharing any of my secrets with my likely competitors. Thanks for the tips, though. :badbone:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
グリフィス said:
First thing is, I'm not sharing any of my secrets with my likely competitors. Thanks for the tips, though. :badbone:

Sure, all my suggestions were legit. I wouldn't tell you to do something that would get you killed. :carcus:

Of course you could also watch Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel and become.. THE ULTIMATE SURVIVOR! :rakshas:
That guy is awesome, he's like some modern version of McGyver, but real.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Of course you could also watch Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel and become.. THE ULTIMATE SURVIVOR! :rakshas:
That guy is awesome, he's like some modern version of McGyver, but real.

He's a phony loser. His only claim to fame is eating disgusting stuff on TV.

Top Bottom