Be prepared for the apocalypse

He might be, but you get to learn/see some interesting stuff.
Like how to build a bed on top of a tree, handy if zombies attack :ganishka:
But c'mon you gotta give the guy some credit, I wouldn't do the stuff he does with or without a backup team.

fuxberg said:
Of course you could also watch Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel and become.. THE ULTIMATE SURVIVOR!

lol Yeah, wasn't he the guy claiming to be surviving harsh nights in the wilderness, but behind the scenes was sneaking off to stay in the comfort of holiday inns and such?

-Machete (No ammo required)
-Rifle (To keep distance from foes)
-Hand Gun (For close quarters)
-Travel in mornings and evenings. Never in complete day or night.
-If traveling use bicycle, or walking. A bicycle is very quite, requires no gas.
-If traveling in groups stay together.
Backpack Includes:
-Medical supplies
-Sleeping bag
-Water
-Food
-Swiss Army Knife
-Tin Paper
-Ammo
-Binoculars

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I chose a shotgun in my first post because it requires little skill to use. Point and shoot -- it'll hit something. Without training, a rifle and pistol aren't very effective weapons.

It's against my philosophy to keep a gun in the house (and my wife would never agree to it either), but I should probably hit the firing range to stay somewhat trained with weapons like a rifle or pistol. When I was 10, I got a hunting license, and on my first hunt got a black eye from the kickback on the rifle's scope. That was my last hunting trip =).

Still, I wouldn't want to be among the 9/10 people on average that aren't capable of using a firearm in an emergency situation.

So, other than VHB for obvious reasons, who here is trained and practiced in using firearms?

Aazealh said:
He's a phony loser. His only claim to fame is eating disgusting stuff on TV.

Agreed. I'd rather have Les Stroud with me.
les-stroud-14.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Screw that guy, I'd rather have learned from this master of the forest: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8940.msg149001#msg149001

Walter said:
Screw that guy, I'd rather have learned from this master of the forest: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8940.msg149001#msg149001
Well, when he rises from the grave you can get your wish. :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Walter said:

Whoa. Something tells me if anyone came to that guy looking to apprentice survival skills or seek refuge from approaching zombies, he would have summarily ripped off their head and spat down their neck.

Alternately, the guy gets chomped on one day while in town stealing boots... zombie hordes finally recede, it's been years, the world feels safe again... then someone stumbles upon this seven foot tall survivalist zombie motherfucker out in the deep woods and the whole thing starts over again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Whoa. Something tells me if anyone came to that guy looking to apprentice survival skills or seek refuge from approaching zombies, he would have summarily ripped off their head and spat down their neck.

Alternately, the guy gets chomped on one day while in town stealing boots... zombie hordes finally recede, it's been years, the world feels safe again... then someone stumbles upon this seven foot tall survivalist zombie motherfucker out in the deep woods and the whole thing starts over again.
Yeah that's the trouble with zombie outbreaks, you never know where it'll end. :schnoz: While I'm at it, I'd like to plug a few things I've been reading that prompted this thread.

worldwarz.jpg

These are pretty standard fare among zombie fans, but I'm sure there are some who haven't heard of them. World War Z has some interesting stuff about what happens after the outbreak, and how humanity deals pragmatically with zombies as a fact of life. The survival guide is amusing, but is sort of like a joke-book of sorts, I thought.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Read both a while ago, World War Z was amusing, there were even rumors that it might be adapted to the big screen.
I'm glad it AMMUUUUUUUSED you :void: I admit I had trouble staying interested though some of the dryer entries. The lack of a focused narrative doesn't help the fact that this come across as an amateur work with a grand premise. But I really liked Brooks' approach and several of the fresh ideas he brought to the table.

And yeah I think those movie talks are still ongoing. This line in particular is very reassuring: "Despite his lack of artistic control, Brooks did say that the movie 'Has to be epic ... and if it isn't the Lord of the Rings of zombie movies, I don't want to see it get made.'" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_z#Film_adaptation)

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Since Bear Grylls was brought up, a few interesting videos about his show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6SRk9wtqE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Those shows always seemed to have more akin to the stunts in Jackass than actual survival feats.

"Watch me drink my own piss ... to survive!"

The guy might know what he's talking about, but he just comes across as a showoff for the camera.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I remembered one very important thing to bring if you're struggling against the impending end of the world -- especially if you're all alone: a book.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Preferably a big heavy book that can also be used for busting some zombie head if all else fails. :badbone:

Also, I'd want a vehicle... and plenty of gazaleen. And if you don't think you'd need it to survive, think again...

road_warrior_pic.jpg

X

Xem

Walter said:

I haven't read those yet, but a friend of mine said that Zombie Survival Guide said that a samurai sword was the ideal weapon. I'm not entirely sold. While it may be able to decapitate heads with ease, and be lightweight, it can also get stuck in things (zombie heads, for example), and leave you defenseless. Guns run out of ammo, so I'm not sold on those either.

I like the idea they used in Sean of the Dead, or what Bill Murray did in Zombieland. Just dress up like one of them and blend in. Hopefully they'll leave you alone. That's what I feel like I'm already doing in society today and it works pretty well. Then I could start my own restaurant featuring human flesh as the Chef's specialty.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I haven't read those yet, but a friend of mine said that Zombie Survival Guide said that a samurai sword was the ideal weapon. I'm not entirely sold.
The survival guide is satirical though. Has some practical knowledge in there, but also just wacky shit.

Scorpio

Deci said:
I like the idea they used in Sean of the Dead, or what Bill Murray did in Zombieland. Just dress up like one of them and blend in.

I feel like if the zombie apocalypse actually went down, pretending to be one wouldn't fool anyone except survivors. Who would then try to kill you in a variety of creative, and very painful, ways.

X

Xem

Scorpio said:
I feel like if the zombie apocalypse actually went down, pretending to be one wouldn't fool anyone except survivors. Who would then try to kill you in a variety of creative, and very painful, ways.

Sure it's far-fetched, but so is the idea of a zombie apocalypse in the first place. Besides, who's to say zombies would be intelligent enough to know the difference? In reality, they'd either be eating each other, or notice obvious signs that something is living - ie: running, screaming, talking, heavy breathing, etc. Maybe they'd be able to smell it. In such case, I'd roll around in dead human entrails to mask the smell. I could even eat a few humans myself to give my blood and sweat a similar smell to theirs.

Worst case scenario, I wouldn't mind becoming a flesh-eating undead myself. I've always thought zombies have gotten a bad rep from hollywood execs over the years. What's so bad about being undead? Sure you're a mindless flesh-eating drone... but shit, who isn't already? If anything, it would probably be a step forward for most of our species. I'd gladly become a zombie if it meant I got to feast on some fatty deliciousness such as Jay Leno or Oprah Winfrey. Which brings me to my last question, do zombies have taste buds? I mean, do you think they prefer humans over say, cows or pigs? I've always thought humans would taste better... but I guess we'll never know unless we try it for ourselves.

Scorpio

Deci said:
Sure it's far-fetched, but so is the idea of a zombie apocalypse in the first place.

Far-fetched, you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Far-fetched, you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw :troll:
That is some crazy, scary shit.

"Parasites like these stop any one group of animal from getting the upper hand. The more numerous a species becomes, the more likely it will be attacked by its nemesis -- the Cordyceps fungus." :magni:

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
One could use a vehicle, possibly not propelled by fuel since in case of a catastrophe it may not be avaliable. A horse is great, if no horses are avaliable, a bicycle is ok too. A boat however is the winner here.

For personal gear I'd use a beltikit with two ammo pouches for banana clips, of course my AK47, a CZ 75 or HS2000 and a machete. Two smaller knives are also a must and a multitool too. Other pouches should contain water purifying pills, vitamines and minerals (Mg and Ca especially), a 3l camelbak, food (dry meat, almonds and small stuff so you can pack more). Some batteries and tac light are in order, maps of the local area (500 km radius at least) and a planned route to an elevated place (mountain cave or similar, as long as it has a complicated approach). Ideal would be to just fetch a boat and sail off, making stops for provisions. Fishing gear is a must in that case. A scope or binoculars for observation. First aid kit, needles, pincers, antibiotics.
A radio is also of vital importance, altough it's quite large.

In case there is room on the boat some ECWCS clothing, a flare pistol, more ammo. More lights, LEDs preferably since they consume less energy. In 30 days one should be able to find an environment that would sustain him and protect him, otherwise it's just scavenging and survival, which leads to an eventual surrender to the surrounding hostile environment.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Proj2501 said:
You're totally right. I'd rather have this guy with me.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1930782

I posted this guy a while back in the RE5 thread [I think]. See this is why I can't stress enough, get a semi-auto shotgun. Fuck pumping when you have four zombies lumbering at you. :daiba:

EF: Wrong video, but basically doing the same thing.

deamonsonfire

E2DaP Records
グリフィス said:
First thing is, I'm not sharing any of my secrets with my likely competitors. Thanks for the tips, though. :badbone:

Thats what I'm sayin!

I got the location, logistics, and plans all ready for my 2012 underwater bunker. All I need is the $$$ and legion of followers :ganishka:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
All you need is a bite-proof body suit and maybe a face mask! I wonder how heavy shark-proof suits are on land? Then dealing with zombies just becomes a way to kill time.

Top Bottom