[April Fools] New Berserk game on the PSP

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
We can't see too well, but judging from Guts on the picture with the QTE, it looks like the PS2 game. Maybe they ported both.

Then The Beast of Darkness was right and it's a compilation of some sort... But I still wonder if there'll be added material or not. That QTE seems to imply it at least.

slan69 said:
So do you guys think the Berserk game for the PSP is a fake?

Japanese magazines don't make joke game previews. It's not like we're just seeing screenshots on some random website somewhere. I'm not too familiar with the PSP library but I just checked and compilations of older games are common on the system apparently, from Tomb Raider to The King of Fighters or Armored Core. Personally as long as it's well done I won't complain too much.

Maybe if it sells well they'll even make a Wii version! :troll:

I'm hoping that this covers everything from right after the eclipse (we'll see Guts gearing up for the first time with a little tutorial from Rickert on how to use your weapons), aswell as everything in the DC game and goes further than the PS2 game with the final scene being Guts peering into the distance at Griffith on top of the hill, right before the gang leave on a ship for elfhelm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I'm hoping that this covers everything from right after the eclipse (we'll see Guts gearing up for the first time with a little tutorial from Rickert on how to use your weapons), aswell as everything in the DC game and goes further than the PS2 game with the final scene being Guts peering into the distance at Griffith on top of the hill, right before the gang leave on a ship for elfhelm.

That would be pretty cool. Imagine fighting hordes of Daka in Vritannis. :ubik:

If this new release also includes the DC game like The Beast of Darkness & slan69 said it also means they could retailor the game so that your sword doesn't get stuck into walls anymore, which would be completely awesome. Personally I've always felt the DC game had a lot more potential than the PS2 title because it was a side-story written directly by Miura for the occasion and I'd love to see an updated take on it.

P.S. Biggest question: will Puck's Game be back? :puck:

I would have thought that Puck's game would be ideally suited to a handheld console, so I see no reason why not. I'm also hopeful they do a nice little special edition copy with some added treats

EDIT: You do have to wonder why they chose the PSP as the console of choice, surely the PS3 would be there more ideal console in order to make sure more units shift? Maybe production values aren't high enough to make use of the PS3's capabilities? It's a shame really, as I would love to see this game on my 42" in HD glory.

EDIT 2: Oh, and another thought. Remember those anime fakes we saw last year? Do we maybe think that they could be real after all and contrbute to cut scenes of this title? Who's working on the game anyway?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
You do have to wonder why they chose the PSP as the console of choice, surely the PS3 would be there more ideal console in order to make sure more units shift? Maybe production values aren't high enough to make use of the PS3's capabilities? It's a shame really, as I would love to see this game on my 42" in HD glory.

I'm quasi-certain it's related to production values. We've heard editors and developers complain about it ever since the Xbox 360 came out (how they need to sell 300,000 units minimum to get their money back before even making a profit, etc.), and Sega's been burned on some titles recently, so I figure they're playing it safe. Dar Klink was actually joking to me yesterday that he hopes this game will serve to finance a PS3 version... I don't want to get my hopes up but who knows.

And the PSP's also been experiencing a revival in Japan these days. It sells well and there are quite a few popular titles coming out on it, so in that context I can see why they'd choose it.

JezzaX said:
Oh, and another thought. Remember those anime fakes we saw last year? Do we maybe think that they could be real after all and contrbute to cut scenes of this title? Who's working on the game anyway?

Maybe... I mean who knows at this point. They did surface on a video game website afterall. Anyway, Sega is the publisher according to the magazine. Not sure if they're also developing it.

Ironically, I think Sony would do well to let people like Yesasia and Play-Asia ship Japanese titles abroad instead of holding them back, since they would shift more units of games that aren't being published outside of Japan. Especially since both of their consoles are now no longer region locked :schierke:

Aazealh said:
Maybe... I mean who knows at this point. They did surface on a video game website afterall. Anyway, Sega is the publisher according to the magazine. Not sure if they're also developing it.

I guess that explains why we're seeing similarities to the Dreamcast game. I would assume it's still Yukes behind the development side.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I don't care what anybody says, but I want a QTE during the Eclipse. MASH X TO HACK OFF YOUR ARM! And then right after, you... PLAY AS SKULLY! HOLD SQUARE TO TEAR APART APOSTLES AROUND YOU WITH YOUR BADASS SWORD! PRESS CIRCLE TO BLOCK YOUR OWN SWORD COMING BACK AT YOUR THROUGH A DIMENSIONAL ANOMALY! :guts: :badbone: :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Imagine if the PSP could detect motion and you had to hack away at your left arm, pretending that the PSP itself was a dagger :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Maybe if it sells well they'll even make a Wii version! :troll:

I was only half joking! :iva: But yeah, it would be awesome.

[quote author=JezzaX]
Ironically, I think Sony would do well to let people like Yesasia and Play-Asia ship Japanese titles abroad instead of holding them back, since they would shift more units of games that aren't being published outside of Japan. Especially since both of their consoles are now no longer region locked :schierke:

I guess that explains why we're seeing similarities to the Dreamcast game. I would assume it's still Yukes behind the development side.
[/quote]
soooo how can i get the game if im in the UK? :???:

It has to be said, I haven't needed to import for quite some time as the time between NTSC and PAL releases is much better than it used to be, so I'm not so sure. I would assume eBay would be one of the better sources as Sony doesn't really have quite so much control over them.

turkitage

ターク
sweet!!! exciting!

though, like walter mentioned the PS2 game never hit the US which is annoying... had to import but at least the story (other then the dream part) was dead on and I could guess what they were saying based on the manga. But it would be awesome if this got a lot of sales then maybe we could get a PS3 game of Berserk (and/or xbox360).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
turkitage said:
like walter mentioned the PS2 game never hit the US which is annoying... had to import but at least the story (other then the dream part) was dead on and I could guess what they were saying based on the manga.

Yeah, better to not get too excited about a stateside release for now... I have to disagree about the story being dead-on though, they took a lot of liberties and Miura himself said it wasn't to be taken seriously. I mean they had Griffith just come out of the Eclipse rejuvenated instead of transformed into Femto, Guts fighting the Kelpie instead of Serpico, Guts defeating Grunberd at Flora's mansion and then fighting Zodd, etc. However I agree about the dialogue being easy to guess since it was almost completely taken from the manga.

turkitage said:
But it would be awesome if this got a lot of sales then maybe we could get a PS3 game of Berserk (and/or xbox360).

You got that right, I guess we can dream... Though I'd prefer a multiplatform title because if I had to buy a PS3 just to play it after having also bought a PSP just to play this new game I'd be a tad frustrated. :void:

JezzaX said:
Something just hit me. Are we going to hear some new music from Susumu Hirasawa? God I hope so!

Hahaha that'd be pretty cool. At the very least I think we might get some of his previous compositions for the parts that are remade/adapted from the first games.

This is so exciting!!! I bought my PS2 just to play Berserk, after that I discovered a lot of awesome games of course, but it was the main reason. I already own PSP so I guess Berserk will be the only game that'll buy. :griffnotevil:

X

Xem

Sony's PSP just converted all hardcore Berserk fans.

I have a lot of expenditures. Dentist, doctor, college, court, addictions (read: Cigarettes) etc... but suddenly PSP just came to the forefront. Everything else (aside from court maybe) just got put on the back burner.

Hopefully there's enough of us out there that Sony, Miura and Hirasawa notice. That's all I hope for. Maybe we should all e-mail them to notify that was the major selling point for us. Shit, can I just e-mail Japan in general? I will pretty much gobble up anything Berserk related, and destroy my (non-existent) savings while I'm at it. Particularly if Miura and Hirasawa are involved.

Deci said:
Sony's PSP just converted all hardcore Berserk fans.

I have a lot of expenditures. Dentist, doctor, college, court, addictions (read: Cigarettes) etc... but suddenly PSP just came to the forefront. Everything else (aside from court maybe) just got put on the back burner.

Hopefully there's enough of us out there that Sony, Miura and Hirasawa notice. That's all I hope for. Maybe we should all e-mail them to notify that was the major selling point for us. Shit, can I just e-mail Japan in general? I will pretty much gobble up anything Berserk related, and destroy my (non-existent) savings while I'm at it. Particularly if Miura and Hirasawa are involved.

I think it would be fantastic if they made a PlayStation 3 game after this one like people said. It could cover the whole story and have you play with many characters. :serpico:

I got the PSP, but I feel I'm going to have a hard time getting this from Japan. I assume it won't be released in the States and what not. But I guess you never really know. All together its GREAT to see a new release.

I remember in some cases you had to mod your PS, PS2's to play Japanese encoded games. Anyone know if its likely the PSP will be the same way?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Death May Die said:
I got the PSP, but I feel I'm going to have a hard time getting this from Japan. I assume it won't be released in the States and what not. But I guess you never really know. All together its GREAT to see a new release.

I remember in some cases you had to mod your PS, PS2's to play Japanese encoded games. Anyone know if its likely the PSP will be the same way?
PSP is region free for games.

Top Bottom