Directors to keep an eye on.

Forget the famous chaps for a bit. Which relatively unknown directors are up and coming in your books? Who are you guys most looking forward to seeing more films from?

I'll kick it off.

Neill Blomkamp (District 9)

Personally, I'm curious what you guys think. I need to watch new, good movies.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:
Forget the famous chaps for a bit. Which relatively unknown directors are up and coming in your books? Who are you guys most looking forward to seeing more films from?

I'll kick it off.

Neill Blomkamp (District 9)

Damnit, Proj! That was my choice! :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think Christopher Nolan still has a lot of room for growth, and I look forward to seeing how he evolves.

But, is he too popular for this thread, since he's attached to the revamped Batman franchise?

Walter said:
But, is he too popular for this thread, since he's attached to the revamped Batman franchise?

I'd say so. If he just did Memento then I'd understand. I can't blame you for looking forward to his future stuff though. Really, who isn't curious to see what he does next?

Have anyone else Walter?

X

Xem

How about the director of Taken? He's supposedly directing the new Dune movie.

Just looked him up, and his name is Pierre Morel... apparently aside from Taken, he directed the original French version of District 13 and recently From Paris With Love. Both of which I haven't seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
How about the director of Taken? He's supposedly directing the new Dune movie.

Just looked him up, and his name is Pierre Morel... apparently aside from Taken, he directed the original French version of District 13 and recently From Paris With Love. Both of which I haven't seen.

Well I'll certainly be keeping my eye on whoever directs the new Dune movie. Not in a particularly benevolent way, mind you. Anyway, it's sad that regardless how good said movie might be, I already know for sure that its OST will never be as good as that of Toto for Lynch's Dune.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Deci said:
How about the director of Taken?

Yeah, watch out for him so you DON'T see his movies. "Taken" was decent at best, but "From Paris with Love" was god awful.

As for a good director? I was going to say Christoper Nolan, but apparently that's against the rules.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think once a director does a movie that's universally acclaimed and makes over a billion dollars, the secret's out. It's tough though because much of the time that's already the feeling after one does even a good movie. It's easier for me to think of retro examples like Proj did with Nolan after Memento, after which Wally already had his eye firmly in place, or Sam Raimi after the Evil Dead movies and A Simple Plan but before Spider-Man. I remember in both cases I was excited when those directors became attached to those big projects, but there was another reaction from some friends that weren't already fans of theirs, "Why exactly did that guy get the job?" I think we all feel that way sometimes when we see a name we don't recognize helming a franchise we'd like to see done justice. Unfortunately, it rarely turns out to be that it was young Christopher Nolan or Sam Raimi before hitting it big, and more often another Paul W.S. Anderson (minus the refusal to disappear into obscurity).

That said, I'm just going to break all the rules and say Robert Rodriguez. Yeah, I'm shocked too, I nominate him despite his ridiculous mainstream success, namely with the Spy Kids movies, his cult status with some, and frankly, his spotty record in my own estimation. The argument for his inclusion is the same one might make against it, basically that despite his talent, I can't say I fully embrace any one of his movies, even Sin City. I like most of them, some a lot, love parts of others, but to me he still hasn't fully lived up to the potential he's shown in his previous work, and maybe that's just what he has to offer, but that's also why I'm still "keeping an eye on him."

Guys that I keep an eye on and see every film they make, that not everybody and their dog already knows about, are Gaspar Noé, Lars Von Trier, David Cronenberg, Jim Jarmusch, Abel Ferrara... I'll list more if I think of them. I know most of you know about all these guys already, but at least they stray from the hollywood bullshit that most people seem to flock to these days.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gasper Noe (that's a good one), Spike Jonze, Gondry, and P. T. Anderson. I know these guys are pretty famous but they all have only a few films under their belt, and they are all great. Definitely worth keeping your eye on because I don't their best work is behind them. I wouldn't say the same for David Cronenberg, Jim Jarmusch, Abel Ferrara. Not that they suck or anything, but I do believe those guys have their best work behind them. Cronenberg is a legend, Jarmusch has practically retired and Abel Ferrara? I don't think I've seen anything from him since 92's Bad Lieutenant.

Oburi said:
Gasper Noe (that's a good one), Spike Jonze, Gondry, and P. T. Anderson. I know these guys are pretty famous but they all have only a few films under their belt, and they are all great. Definitely worth keeping your eye on because I don't their best work is behind them. I wouldn't say the same for David Cronenberg, Jim Jarmusch, Abel Ferrara. Not that they suck or anything, but I do believe those guys have their best work behind them. Cronenberg is a legend, Jarmusch has practically retired and Abel Ferrara? I don't think I've seen anything from him since 92's Bad Lieutenant.

They may have their most notable work behind them, but they're still far and beyond most of the other filmmakers working today, and still worth keeping an eye on. Cronenberg is still making very interesting films, despite straying from the body-horror genre that established him. How can you say Jarmusch has practically retired? Did you see his latest The Limits of Control? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely loved it and will not stop seeing his movies as long as he keeps making them (which I'm sure he has at least a few more to come before his time is up.) Abel Ferrara is hit or miss these days I'll admit, but Bad Lieutenant is far from his last great film. Do yourself a favor and see The Addiction, The Funeral, and The Blackout if you haven't already. I'm still eager to see his latest documentary Chelsea on the Rocks, but it's hard to come by. He's also apparently adapting a new version of Jekyll and Hyde. You can't deny that isn't at least a little bit intriguing.

Now David Lynch on the other hand has officially stated his departure from making films, which I think is tragic. But despite this, I have a feeling there will at some point be more to come from his strange, wild mind.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I lost interest in Lynch after Inland Empire. Why is he shooting on video? WHY?! I can't stand it.

X

Xem

If you liked Blood Diamond or Defiance, a director to keep an eye on is Edward Zwick. He's got a movie coming out this winter called Love and Other Drugs which could maybe-possibly be really good. I know some of his older movies weren't that great, for instance, a lot of people didn't like The Last Samurai, but I think there's still potential here...

Some of his other prospective movies sound like they might be good too.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
If you liked Blood Diamond or Defiance, a director to keep an eye on is Edward Zwick. He's got a movie coming out this winter called Love and Other Drugs which could maybe-possibly be really good. I know some of his older movies weren't that great, for instance, a lot of people didn't like The Last Samurai, but I think there's still potential here...

Last Samurai was just a terrible movie, but I really liked Blood Diamond and I've heard nothing, but good about Defiance. I'll have to keep an eye out for, Love and Other Drugs.

X

Xem

Some (me) might call him a politically controversial director. He seems to focus on social and political issues quite strongly; his first huge success, Glory, for example. Though honestly if you don't like that movie than I simply don't understand your viewpoint. At least when it comes to movies.

I for one didn't especially hate The Last Samurai. It seemed to me that Tom Cruise kinda dragged it down... seriously, anyone but Tom Cruise for that role. Also, absolutely horrible title. It's almost demeaning. But I loved Blood Diamond and really liked Defiance. Though I can see where people might disagree.

Top Bottom