Infinite Space

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I don't think that I've ever played a game where I thought everything was completely perfect (Well... Mario Bros. 3 maybe >.>). That doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

Super Metroid. :azan:

CowTip said:
It definitely sounds like you picked up on the mechanics faster than me. I think I died about 10-15 times before I picked up on the enemy ship outlines.

Honestly I don't think I died 15 times in total through the whole game, but it's true I might be the exception here. And I think everyone can agree that the game could have used a better tutorial. But then again, I enjoyed the fact that it didn't hold my hand. Figuring it all out by myself is a feeling I hadn't experienced since the SNES days.

CowTip said:
Well, my original idea of having them return you to the last planet was more of a way to do away with having to go through the process of saving at every planet as a whole.

I think that was more of a technological problem than anything though. The amount of data to include in the saves obviously strained the NDS.

Aazealh said:
Super Metroid. :azan:

I'll probably always hold Super Metroid as having one of the most memorable introductions in all of video game history. Good times.

Honestly I don't think I died 15 times in total through the whole game, but it's true I might be the exception here. And I think everyone can agree that the game could have used a better tutorial. But then again, I enjoyed the fact that it didn't hold my hand. Figuring it all out by myself is a feeling I hadn't experienced since the SNES days.

Honestly, I feel much the same. It was cool to finally figure something out and have that "Aha!" moment, unfortunately, your average gamer these days doesn't find that sort of thing appealing. A pity I guess, but bleh. I do admit that at the start when I was dying so much I wondered if the entire game was going to go down that way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just beat the game this afternoon. Though I had my doubts, it ended up being my favorite RPG of the past decade (since Xenogears, really). It has the only story in a game I've cared about in just as many years. The game has its flaws, but it's extremely ambitious and achieves everything it set out to do.

I keep wanting to say the one thing this game does that extremely few have done... It would be a huge hook for most people, but it's a massive spoiler. Suffice it to say, the game really has everything you could want in an epic space opera.

If you have a DS and a penchant for SciFi, you need to get this game.

Major spoilers, don't look unless you really want to be spoiled.

I'm on "Yuri the Man" chapter 2. I gotta say... for one, I wasn't expecting a time jump and two I wasn't expecting 26 year old Yuri to turn into a total beefcake :ganishka: First time I saw him I was totally :isidro:. Looking forward to seeing how a few other important party members have changed...

Also, amazing how I can feel super rich, have around 80k credits, just to lose it all in the blink of an eye upgrading modules and weapons. At least I have a nice new shiny 7000 hp battleship now.

So, I finally finished yesterday~ Awesome game. I was actually a little sad to see it end even though I'd put in 48 hours.

Final ships were:
Absoluta (Flag ship): MEGABOOMY (NOS system is absolutely amazing. It basically puts the game into easy mode.)
Pelayo: TEMPBOOMY (This was actually supposed to be a placeholder BB until I could afford a Picaroon, but right when I got the cash the game ended.)
Evstafi: HUGEBOOMY (Seriously, I think this is the biggest ship in the game. 3000 meters? It makes most other ships look puny.)
Eleganta: MOOCARRIER (I used an Eberlin for a long time and honestly it's almost the same but the Eleganta has slightly higher stats and a gravity catapult. I had to have one carrier stocked full with 60 ships.)
Agrell: SUPERBOOMY (My first big HP ship.)

I do think I maybe overdid it some though. I beat the final boss in only a few rounds and barely took any damage. Absoluta's bonus practically takes incoming damage down by 50% with how many hits you dodge and you land so many more shots too. Sure, it looks like a big candy bar but I liked it anyway (It was hard to not make my flagship the Evstafi though with how huge and delicious it is).

As for the ending:
So, Yuri found a flux sector and used his powers of creation to bring Kira back and maybe more? They left it pretty open as to whether Yuri was stuck back in the solar system or if he found a way back using the flux sector or if he just made a new sector for himself. I was actually surprised with the hopeless feeling I felt after stopping Lugovas just to have everything destroyed... this game doesn't hold back any punches. Pretty much every main character outside of Cico ended up dying. :sad: I did some reading and it sounds like Roth could have survived, but it didn't happen in my game. Maybe it's 'cause I ganked the Evstafi from him... I dunno. They could easily make a sequel, but they tied everything up pretty well just the same. I would have liked to know a little more about the creator aliens, but from the way they described them in game, it doesn't even sound possible to know them any better. Kind of weird how beings with so much power only had one entrance to this universe (as far as we know) and the watcher/tracker thing confused me a little bit, but it's all good.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. Don't know if I would have played this one if I hadn't seen people talking about it here. On to Metal Gear: Peace Walker

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you were able to finish it. I forgot to post my final fleet:

Corsair - ULTIMA (flagship),12800 hp with 60 fighters
Agrell - DERSU UZALA, 8750 hp with 24 fighters
Agrell - OLIENTIEV, 8750 hp with 24 fighters
Agrell - SIEGFRIED,8700 hp with 24 fighters
Erebos - KARNOV, 6800 hp with 24 fighters

Having 3 Agrells looks great on-screen in battle, all uniform. The idea is to scare off the enemies as soon as they see my fleet :zodd:

I was always interested in the Erebos but the low durability sort of killed it for me. What'd you think of it in the end?

As for the Corsair, I hear it's a pretty great flagship, but I was shooting for a Picaroon because supposedly it works better with the NOS system~ (You lose a lot of the Corsair's advantage if it's not your flagship) 290,000 is pretty steep :ganishka:

As a side note, my Evstafi is ridiculous. It had around 15,000 hp at the end XD

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I was always interested in the Erebos but the low durability sort of killed it for me. What'd you think of it in the end?
I bought it because it has a good chunk of space inside it. It was ok. Certainly the weakest of my ships.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I'm still way early on. Don't have a lot of time to play. But at least I finally got to the point where I could afford some ships to grind a little money so I won't have to be all nail bitey about how I'm spending my moneys.

Lithrael said:
I'm still way early on. Don't have a lot of time to play. But at least I finally got to the point where I could afford some ships to grind a little money so I won't have to be all nail bitey about how I'm spending my moneys.

If you can, don't give up on it. In my opinion, the game is well worth the long ride.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well guys, I wrote an email to Nude Maker and Kôno Hifumi (the director of Infinite Space and CEO of the company) honored me with a personal reply! As it stands, Sega holds the rights to decide whether to do a sequel or not and so far nothing has been decided, but the developers would very much like to make one, and if they did the 3DS would be the platform of choice.

So in short we need to put the pressure on Sega to greenlight it. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow man. That's totally awesome that he replied. And really, really great news! Basically, Sega hasn't authorized a sequel yet, but the developer WANTS to make one and if so, it'd be on the 3DS. The only thing better would be if he'd confirmed and announced the sequel right then and there. :badbone:

This is awesome. Congratulations man! I can only imagine how awesome the battles would look in amazing graphics and 3D.

So now SK.net is the definite source for all things Infinite Space, right? :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
So now SK.net is the definite source for all things Infinite Space, right? :SK:

Let's put it this way: the official Sega forums have less Infinite Space posts put together than this single thread does. Maybe we should fix that by assaulting their board. :iva:

3DS Infinite Space.... I would love to see those space battles~

Also, middle-aged to senior citizen Yuri, I could dig it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We're coming up on the one year anniversary of the game's release (March 16), and I'm planning to give it a replay once I get my 3DS. Who else is up for it? I figure we could post our experiences again, and any new reflections we get on our second playthrough.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Count me in. I've been meaning to play it again with some different paths and this is a great excuse.

[edited so the second sentence actually makes sense]

Lithrael

For that matter, I'm still on my first playthrough! That game has been in my DS since I got it, heh..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
We're coming up on the one year anniversary of the game's release (March 16), and I'm planning to give it a replay once I get my 3DS. Who else is up for it? I figure we could post our experiences again, and any new reflections we get on our second playthrough.

I volunteer!

Lithrael

Finally finished the game - at nearly 100 hours, and a lot of that was battle/money grinding, so my fleet and crew were like HAHAHAHA ENDGAME which, for someone like me, who likes to take level 40 characters to level 10 zones and stomp things, was fun.

Liked pretty much everything about the game, except for a few dialogs that sounded like they ought to lead somewhere and didn't. (
Brought a Corsair to the guy who said he'd like to see a Corsair, nothin. Talked to the guy who longed to talk shop with Luglavos after the Luggy conflict was resolved, nothin. Never could figure out how to get Tigro blueprints, which I REALLY wanted
.)

Plotwise the only thing that bugged me was the hamfisted inclusion of quantum theory terms (that's not what 'observation' is/means in quantum science lol, sure it's complicated and weird but it doesn't mean that you LOOKED at it and your eyes shot seeing beams at it or you found out about it and your consciousness shot knowing about it beams at it and collapsed its wave function - evidently people take Schrödinger's Cat way too literally - or maybe they thought these guys weren't just adding a little flair to their paper so they can get cited once in a while) but that might well just be clumsy localization. Plus how many gamers will notice and care enough to go 'pfft' and.. well going 'pfft' is hardly a deal breaker anyway.

Gonna try survival mode next, it only gives me 20000 g but I should be able to outfit a basic carrier for that. GOT to figure out how to get a Tigro in new game +.

I loved the holy crap out of Gavriil Minas. I was really really happy he got towed along for so many cool scenes in the game. OMG YEY SCIENCE WHERE IS MY SANDWICH is my favorite character archetype ever.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Plotwise the only thing that bugged me was the hamfisted inclusion of quantum theory terms (that's not what 'observation' is/means in quantum science lol, sure it's complicated and weird but it doesn't mean that you LOOKED at it and your eyes shot seeing beams at it or you found out about it and your consciousness shot knowing about it beams at it and collapsed its wave function - evidently people take Schrödinger's Cat way too literally - or maybe they thought these guys weren't just adding a little flair to their paper so they can get cited once in a while) but that might well just be clumsy localization.

There's actually an interpretation of quantum mechanics stating that consciousness causes collapse. It postulates that consciousness is necessary to the quantum mechanical measurement process, and that measurement by a non-conscious device does not really determine anything. It's obviously a minor interpretation but I can't say I mind its use in Science-Fiction stories. There's a lot more things that would actually bother me more if I were to come at it with a critical mind.

Lithrael

I was under the impression that the one interpretation that was ruled out was that conscious observation was not necessary, only observation/measurement of some kind, and that the whole point of Schrödinger's Cat was originally to illustrate how silly the idea that conscious observation is necessary to collapse the wave function, is. AFAIK, it's already been demonstrated that a non conscious measurement device does in fact collapse it. Buut, I am obviously no expert, so I shall leave it alone now. :griffnotevil: And no it didn't really bother me, it just bumped me out of the moment for a second cause I was like 'but.. huh?'

I wouldn't have mentioned it but I was trying to think of things to say about the game. :schnoz:

Oh yeah! There was also obviously something that didn't get finished properly as far as the modules. There were cool little CG models for every single module, but you could ONLY look at them before/as you purchased the blueprints. It looked to me like one of the windows in the module equipping menu was meant to display the CG model but it just repeated the tetris block from another window instead. I would really have liked for the work the artists put into it to be more visible. The ship log you get from the main menu screen with all the lil flybys and ship info was great, though, that's exactly the kind of showing off of the game's art assets that I like.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
I was under the impression that the one interpretation that was ruled out was that conscious observation was not necessary, only observation/measurement of some kind, and that the whole point of Schrödinger's Cat was originally to illustrate how silly the idea that conscious observation is necessary to collapse the wave function, is.

Not at all. Schrödinger's paradox was designed to point out the problems he saw in the Copenhagen interpretation (i.e. the idea that a particle can exist in an indefinite state until it is measured). Eugene Wigner (Nobel Prize in Physics) in particular supported the idea that consciousness is key to the observation as a way to solve the paradox.

Lithrael said:
AFAIK, it's already been demonstrated that a non conscious measurement device does in fact collapse it. Buut, I am obviously no expert, so I shall leave it alone now.

The problem is that any measuring device can also be considered to be a quantum object, meaning that its own state is not fixed until a measurement is made upon it. :slan:

But really, I don't mean to argue about this, I'm just saying that the game's approach is more solid than you think. Like I said, if one wants to nitpick there's still a lot that can be criticized about it (but hey, it's just a science fiction story after all).

Top Bottom