What'd you do over the weekend?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Turkitage said:
I saw an Opera over the weekend: Madame Butterfly.

It was the first Opera I've been too and I really enjoyed it. It was sang 100% in Italian, but they did have a screen with subtitles for all 3 Acts. Ever since I saw the Final Fantasy symphony with the Opera that came here in Atlanta recently I've been wanting to see a full Opera and man it did not disappoint. Such a sad, but nice story.

Also, I had no clue Weezer's Butterfly song was about Madame Butterfly. Probably cause I never knew the story either, but I guess it would be obvious for most people that are familar with the play since Weezer's album title is "Pinkerton" - which is of of the main characters last name.

That's really cool. I'm not into opera's or musicals at all really, but I've always been interested in Madame Butterfly. I would go see that in a heartbeat.

I was due to flight out to Syracuse yesterday evening but my flight got cancelled, so I went back home, and got another ticket for a flight close to noon today. At the airport now, it's quiet thank god.

X

Xem

Turkitage said:
I saw an Opera over the weekend: Madame Butterfly.

It was the first Opera I've been too and I really enjoyed it. It was sang sung 100% in Italian, but they did have a screen with subtitles for all 3 Acts. Ever since I saw the Final Fantasy symphony with the Opera that came here in Atlanta recently I've been wanting to see a full Opera and man it did not disappoint. Such a sad, but nice story.

Heh, I saw that as well, again encouraged by the same symphony. Not exactly my kind of story but I enjoyed it nonetheless. One of the people I went with didn't consider it an opera because "it didn't have enough props". :serpico:

turkitage

ターク
Deci said:
Heh, I saw that as well, again encouraged by the same symphony. Not exactly my kind of story but I enjoyed it nonetheless. One of the people I went with didn't consider it an opera because "it didn't have enough props". :serpico:

Nice! Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. I actually been going to that symphony hall almost every weekend and based on those performances I kind of thought they wouldn't do as much acting as they did. The other performances was just the local symphony plus other people on stage singing. So it no doubt was a treat - who needs props? pfft!

Oburi said:
That's really cool. I'm not into opera's or musicals at all really, but I've always been interested in Madame Butterfly. I would go see that in a heartbeat.

I'd google madame butterfly and your zip code to see there is one coming this year near you. They've been on tour. I know you're not really into this sorta stuff but I'd look up local symphony halls near you and check out their event lists for similar stuff - you might like some. Mine has great classical music they play over weekend.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Moved out of my old apartment into my new one with my special lady, put a dent in my car, had the dent taken out by said lady's father, went home for father's day, then back for more moving. Got Internet back yesterday, settling in commencing.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Moved out of my old apartment into my new one with my special lady, put a dent in my car, had the dent taken out by said lady's father, went home for father's day, then back for more moving. Got Internet back yesterday, settling in commencing.
Aaaahhhh, its always nice moving in to a new place, even if being overwhelmed its always a nice feeling. Gratz on the upgrade and companion. Now keep the toilet seat down and be sure to clear the sink from hygene tools!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Just finished my last math class ever! :badbone:
God, I remember that feeling... I don't think it was ever surpassed in college moments for me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone going to warped tour this year? I'm going 2mro, very excited. Can't wait to see Griffs favorite crabcore band, Attack! Attack!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Anyone going to warped tour this year? I'm going 2mro, very excited. Can't wait to see Griffs favorite crabcore band, Attack! Attack!

My favorite crabcore band is ARM CANNON, and after listening to that I already feel like I went to this year's Warped Tour. Actually, true story, I just had to check my t-shirt collection to see the last time I went to Warped Tour, and... 2001. Anyone remember the The Distillers? I think the highlight for me was the Vandals, though there were some pretty good acts there (way better than this year's lineup :iva:).

Anyway, I'm a bitter old man, and speaking of which, I celebrated my birthday this weekend with a pool party BBQ/poker night and got way too drunk. The highlight though might have been the evening prior when I went to my favorite little French Bistro in Westwood: Soleil. I had my usual off-menu filet mignon, medium rare, with peppercorn cream sauce and a glass of Vestini Rose, a white wine from Italy. Orgasmic.

Also, be sure to check out their surprisingly cool website, it's worth seeing regardless:

http://www.soleilwestwood.com/home

Oburi

All praise Grail
Going to see Sublime and 311 on Saturday. Hopefully I have more fun than I did at warped where a massive downpour of hail and ice completely ruined the set of the main band I wanted to see (and the whole day really). It was like 85 degrees too, I swear only me.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Oburi said:
Going to see Sublime and 311 on Saturday. Hopefully I have more fun than I did at warped where a massive downpour of hail and ice completely ruined the set of the main band I wanted to see (and the whole day really). It was like 85 degrees too, I swear only me.
Is the new guy in Sublime any good? I've heard their new song and seen a few videos of him singing a few of their old songs, but it feels a little weird.

For years, Bud and Eric were main members of The Long Beach Dub All Stars.. but I guess they got sick of that.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Let's make it clear that it's not Sublime, but Sublime with Rome.

True. I haven't listened to them since high school so i have no idea what to expect. Its a free show though so I got nothing to lose. Can't be that bad.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Went to Vegas. :griffnotevil: Had fun, saw a lot, won a little, lost a little. Ended up holding on to enough winnings to cover what I spent while I was there, so that was cool. Got to play at a blackjack table for a couple hours & broke even, which was a lot of fun. It made me feel like I did a Real Las Vegas Thing, even though I'm a low-roller. Amusing free shows attended: Wang Chung and Vanilla Ice. Everyone cheered loudest for the Turtle Rap. Vanilla's stage technique was "constantly fling water out of bottles at people and then fling the empties at them." It was hot enough there to be agreeable to the crowd. As a Florida girl, I found the weather there pretty pleasant in general. Awesome view of the canyons on the flight out, too.

turkitage

ターク
Lithrael said:
Went to Vegas. :griffnotevil: Had fun, saw a lot, won a little, lost a little. Ended up holding on to enough winnings to cover what I spent while I was there, so that was cool.

Nice! that's pretty good luck to break even on your expenses when you were there.

MLG and EVO weekend. That's pretty much what I did all weekend.

5991122715_0606584f67_b.jpg

Top Bottom