What'd you do over the weekend?

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just saw fucking Silverstein in a very small venue where I was front row the whole time. I rushed up on stage at the end and the guys were kind enough to take pictures with me. Got some guitar picks that I threw to the crowed too (kept one for meself obviously).

turkitage

ターク
Went to DragonCon in Atlanta this weekend. I didn't take many photos but I did meet someone dressed up as Guts for the first time:

7921618682_4218b501da_b.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Turkitage said:
Went to DragonCon in Atlanta this weekend. I didn't take many photos but I did meet someone dressed up as Guts for the first time:

7921618682_4218b501da_b.jpg

That Guts sure is eating too many midland burgers. Good that you hada good time.

I was a movie extra on saturday, for this low budget movie that is going to be in a film festival in California. It was fun, the scene was of a prom, so we danced most of the time. Got invited for the next scene next saturday.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
How cool, congrats Johnstantine! The world needs more good looking children, and I have feeling you're going to deliver... LITERALLY! :troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
So I went on a couples date with some friends to Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore county. The act for the night was... Eddie Griffin! You guys may remember the dude as that black guy in Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

So Eddie's show was suppose to run for about an hour and a half, but instead it went to 2am. In my opinion (which doesn't really need to be said since most of you guys probably already assume it), Eddie's jokes were mediocre from the start. It dragged on and he had a lot more misses than hits (I only laughed at like two of his jokes). What saved his show was that Eddie turned it into a complete train-wreck by 11:30, he started pouring booze onto the stage in 'honor' of all his friends who didn't make it (He specifically name dropped: Bernie Mac, Tupac Shakur, and Micheal Jackson). After Eddie finished doing his name dropping, he started ranting about small dicks, anorexic women, fat people, and the people who hate his movies. Pretty much the style of comedy you would expect from a comedian who went from doing 'movies' [see above] to Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore County on a Friday night (which he decided to rudely poke fun at).

I probably will make sure I never see Eddie again. The guy is a pretty bad comedian, which makes sense when you consider he was doing improv all night long (and horribly failing at it).

Couldn't place the actor by his name, so looked him up and recognize him. Wow, that sounds like a disaster VHB, kudos to staying till the end of his set. Did a lotta people leave half-way through or stick till the end?

Last night I was at an underground old school trance show, my first. I like older trance from the 90's and missed last year's event. So anyway, a friend and I got there at about 00:30 in the morning and watched two and a half acts till 4 something AM before leaving, just got very tiring and that room filled of cigarette smoke was headache inducing. It was cool to see the 3rd and headlining DJ use 2 Technics Mk series turntables, unlike working on laptops like the other guys.

Luke Hess's set was the best of the night, played a more accessible, danceworthy set that the crowd really liked, he's from Detroit.

E1_zps1450aa24.jpg

Greece's Fluxion's set was 30 minutes longer and thank god cos it really got good in the end. The floor cleared during his set cos it wasn't as accessible but I liked it a lot, as my pal said - it was very meditative~ish towards the beginning.

E2_zps12d3a2e5.jpg

Couldn't stay for Kenneth Christiansen's full set cos we were pretty tired and it was ... late. Oh well, the crowd kinda got back to watch this and seemed to feel it a lot more than Fluxion's set. Majority of the crowd was also very click~y not necessarily dancing to good music.

E3_zpsc2d0c18a.jpg

Watched the Oscars tonight. Work tomorrow's gonna suck ... eeeesshhhh >_>'

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IncantatioN said:
Couldn't place the actor by his name, so looked him up and recognize him. Wow, that sounds like a disaster VHB, kudos to staying till the end of his set.

Oh it was! It's pretty bad that this guy went from "number 62 on Comedy Central's list of the 100 Greatest Stand-ups of All Time" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Griffin) to drunkenly pounding his fists against a wall while screaming. Did I mention that he disclosed that 2 out of 3 of his ex-wifes are addicted to meth? Because he told a room full of strangers this while he was shit faced drunk.

Did a lotta people leave half-way through or stick till the end?

Yes! Over half of the audience left before Griffin decided to stop.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
So Eddie's show was suppose to run for about an hour and a half, but instead it went to 2am. In my opinion (which doesn't really need to be said since most of you guys probably already assume it), Eddie's jokes were mediocre from the start. It dragged on and he had a lot more misses than hits (I only laughed at like two of his jokes). What saved his show was that Eddie turned it into a complete train-wreck by 11:30, he started pouring booze onto the stage in 'honor' of all his friends who didn't make it (He specifically name dropped: Bernie Mac, Tupac Shakur, and Micheal Jackson). After Eddie finished doing his name dropping, he started ranting about small dicks, anorexic women, fat people, and the people who hate his movies. Pretty much the style of comedy you would expect from a comedian who went from doing 'movies' [see above] to Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore County on a Friday night (which he decided to rudely poke fun at).
Yeah, his career is a real shame. I still remember him in his prime with the Voodoo Child sketch. Ever since it's been a horrible thing to witness. Oh well... Comedy shows tend to be hit or miss.

IncantatioN said:
Last night I was at an underground old school trance show, my first. I like older trance from the 90's and missed last year's event. So anyway, a friend and I got there at about 00:30 in the morning and watched two and a half acts till 4 something AM before leaving, just got very tiring and that room filled of cigarette smoke was headache inducing. It was cool to see the 3rd and headlining DJ use 2 Technics Mk series turntables, unlike working on laptops like the other guys.
Nice! Trance got bombarded from mediocre to bad after the 90's. Between that and deep house, used to be my mayor companions in my DJ days. And I fully agree with the MK2's statement. I recently went to a major club in DT Chicago, and I couldn't help myself but laugh at some of these so-called DJ's using software to pretty much... Well... Do everything for them. It's a sad thing to witness, but it separates the men from the boys I guess. Clearly on that last adventure, I realize just how old I've become to say the least :SK:. But I'm glad you had a good time. The underdogs stealing the crowd from a headliner is always fun to watch.

You know, I'd love to see that sort of show VHBob, where the comedian goes completely off and it's embarrassing as hell. Magic nights eeh!

Aww sweet, Nomad! Didn't know you DJ'd ^_^. I agree with everything you say above about the lack of substance or effort when you play something off a laptop versus the so to speak 'real deal' of using turntables. Please, feel free to hit up recommendations on local DJ's or international acts that you like, heck link me to some of your tunes!

Right now I'm at work. Tomorrow I'll be at work.

Last night I went to see Dehumanized, Malignancy and Devourment play at The Place, weird name of a venue - "Hey are you going to the show tonight?" "Oh yeah, it's at the uhhmm at The Place" "What's the name of the place?" "It's THE PLACE", my head hurts aka lack of humor as you can see. But it was awesome. My first time seeing Dehumanized and Devourment. So we missed the first 2 bands, don't even know who played and caught Dehumanized's set, super slammy, got the crowd going good. The Place was HOT as hell inside, so we took off our jackets, pain to hold when you're fending other people from pushing/ hitting/ kicking/ pulling you. So anyway, next up was Malignancy - tight set, love watching them live. And then came Devourment who I was dying to watch. Been about a year or two since I got into the band and I'd seen too many videos of Babykiller online (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQxYcXY8SQ) anticipating the day I'd see them face to face and last night was just that. Amazing experience and they played Conceived In Sewage which is actually my ring tone so I took a video of the opening riff and when the Slam part came on, you can hear me/ everyone else scream and the place went nuts right after. Managed to take a video before it got brutal out there haha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=foRF5p9J1ms

Ugh, back to work.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
IncantatioN said:
Right now I'm at work. Tomorrow I'll be at work.
My sympathies, man. No wonder your boss gave you an iPad, he must be guilty for working you so hard!

Nowruz is coming up this Wednesday, so I helped my aunt set up a Haft Sin at my grandma's house (I was gonna try to do one at my house this year, but ran out of time... :judo: ). Anyway, here is how it looks so far:

Haftsin_zps1fe6ccfd.jpg

Still gotta add an apple and get the grass out front, but it's not done growing.

Afterwards, I went and checked out the Dutch exhibit at the de Young Museum in SF, which turned out really nicely because it was such a nice day outside!
deyoung_zps1ab8511c.jpg

I got to see some badass engravings and the Girl with the Pearl Earring. What a trip! :ubik:

That's such a gorgeous table setting, Grail. Navroz Mubarak to you and the family! I asked my parents to take a picture of the table they set at home. I've been busy with work this year, didn't get the time to set anything up (I sure wanted to *sigh*). The part I miss the most of sitting down to eat throughout the day at different times, with whoever is visiting. So I'd explain to them "This is what you do ... blah blah and this means this or that." and pick up a plate for myself while I was at it =p

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Johnstantine said:
My son, Atlas Orion Doudican, was born today at 7:38 am.

fSzTGBn.jpg

Congratulations! I went and visited my sister who gave birth to my niece Rachel Thursday, but was home today after leaving the hospital. Seems to be a babies weekend. :guts:

rachel2k.jpg

rachelpa.jpg

Akebobo

my god... it's full of pants
Super big congratulations to you new dads! :ubik:

In other news I went to see the new Evil Dead... maybe that needs a new topic though. I will say that it was enjoyable, bloody as hell, but was missing the humor and charm of the originals.
I also took my daughter to the zoo. She touched a horseshoe crab and went eeeeew

Congrats Branded!

Remember seeing a dead horseshoe crab 2 years ago on the beach on new years eve, it looked eerie and supa~scary =_=. Your daughter was pretty adventurous.

Saturday morning, took the 9:44 train uptown to hike up Mount Taurus or Bull Mountain. We got there around 11 and started the climb, I'd say moderately strenuous. Took about 5/6 half minute breaks to take a picture and carry on, goal was to be on the move constantly. 4 hours in, we sat down for 5 mins, ate half of my sammich : p and we continued with the descent. We made decent time considering it was the first hike of the year, covered about 6 miles and took the 4:44 train back to the city. Started with the white trail, then yellow, green, yellow again.

20130504_113926_zps7235e285.jpg

20130504_114227_zps1c0ed4c8.jpg

20130504_123456_zps40f00e42.jpg

Blair Witch moment ... if you don't contribute, something from another realm will haunt you

20130504_130842_zps64aaa9b5.jpg

20130504_131926_zps5c04ae37.jpg

Band of hawks ^_~

20130504_141046_zps320dcd42.jpg

Sunday we planned to walk across George Washington Bridge and walk/ hike along the path leading up to the Palisades. About 7 miles and mellow and pretty scenic. Started around 11:15 cos I slept 10 hours straight from Saturday's hike, we got done by 5:30/ 45 I think with a 30 minute break give n take.

20130505_122231_zpsf7a02f7e.jpg

Stairs ... ugh, I hate stairs ...

20130505_125959_zpsf4543047.jpg

Decent park, saw a few families grill. Difference between all the tables, the one South-East Asian family had Sriracha sauce on theirs *thumbs up*

20130505_131424_zpsd774a832.jpg

Further up a trail

20130505_135505_zps11b469a9.jpg

Post Sandy, no maintenance

20130505_141747_zpsff91001e.jpg

20130505_142919_zps58a30138.jpg

The only two skateboarders I saw among the hundreds of people on bicycles

20130505_143856_zps5a3de394.jpg

20130505_145509_zps297fee0f.jpg

Walking back *sigh*

20130505_163801_zpsb20660a6.jpg

Oh windy tennis