Guts Bust (help wanted)

thegodwenis

elbow-foreskin of evil
Hi! I'm thegodwenis, and... this is my first post!

Lets make a long story short and say I can't aford AoW so I tried to make my own and I thought this would be the best place to ask for some help:
PICT0355.jpg

Here's the gallery: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v17/demonoflight2003/berserk/ (this includes a Puck doll I made last year)

So, any critiques and tips would be helpful. It'll be a while before I try again (I draw alot, I very rarely sculpt) but I do plan to add some of the Berserk armor to this. I am hoping someone would have some tips for me on working in the round, I was so excited when I finished his face until I checked out the profile and noticed it was flat :sad:. I do want to repaint him his skin tone is too dark and his lip looks gross. But I'm really clueless about the painting part! In 2d you have to use lights and darks to create the form, but this is already 3d so is it enough to paint a flat skin color and have real light take care of the hightlights/lowlights? ... Idk...

Btw, I love all ya'll little icons :beast: :casca: :slan: :guts: :puck: :ubik:
:griffnotevil: <-except this one it tells lies XD

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Welcome to SKnet!

This is looking cool so far! I have a few suggestions. I would pick a different color for the skin. Something more along the lines of slightly tanned. As for the black outline of his eye, I would perhaps make that a darker shade of whichever color you use for the skin. Lastly, I think his lips are a bit too pouty.

Keep up the good work and welcome to the board!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hey there Wenis, welcome.

As someone who doesn't sculpt often either, I can appreciate your adventurous spirit. :guts: That said, you've done a pretty nice job here. You said that the bust looks too flat, but it's hard to tell; I don't suppose you'll be looking to restructure the face at this point, but it would be helpful to be able to see the bust from a different angle.

As Gobs mentioned, your coloring job seems a little stark, particularly around the the facial scars. I found the dark paint you used for those a little distracting, so I would recommend making smaller incisions on the face and coloring them in a shade that's a little closer to the shade of Guts's skin. Speaking of which, I think it's useful to remember that skin takes on different tones throughout the face, so you'll want to remember to darken the skin around his eyes a little. Hope that helps! :serpico:

Also, your gallery seems to require a password in order to get in.

The proportions on the face are wrong, which is your main problem. The eyes should be in the middle of the head length-wise, but you have them 3/4ths of the way up. The head could also be slightly wider.

thegodwenis

elbow-foreskin of evil
Aww, thanks for the suggestions so far :3.

I did figure out how to make the gallery public so you should be able to view it now, but here he is from the side:
PICT0351.jpg

I made him using super sculpy and once I bake it I'm not really sure if I can alter it much or not (other than carving) so while I don't intend to fix this one I'm definetly goint to pay better attention to my proportions the next time round (thanks CCS). I will repaint him though and hopefully by next weekend I'll post that.

And just for fun here's Puck:
PICT0360.jpg

I'm going to remake him someday too.

Pretty good in their own right, and much better than I could do, but they sort of look like painted clay coin banks from Mexico compared to what's out there already.

Top Bottom