I have the next two weeks off, so I thought I'd do something Berserky...

Hey SK.net! Haven't been here in a hot second, but I did start on a project the other day to try and brush up on my inking, and thought you guys might like it.
Here's what it looked like last night:
Pic1
Sorry for the quality of these pics, all I've got is my cell phone camera right now. Last night I started on the armor, which was fun once I got the gist of the shape of things.
This morning I decided to finish up the armor, which I'm pretty happy with, except some sketchiness on some of the larger panels:
Pic2
Later today or tomorrow, I might start working on the cape, but I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it. I want it to have a completely different texture than the armor, so I was thinking about going out and buying a brush and some ink, God knows I need practice with that as well.

A few other notes, the face I'm not THRILLED about, but I wanted to give it an old-school Berserk look rather than a new-school one, so I opted to wing it instead of using any source material. I may have made it too skinny as well, it would be nice to maybe add some meat to it to bulk it up, but I'm not about to go back with some kind of whiteout. I also feel like I should have worked harder on the logo in the lower right hand corner.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really dig it! And Im glad you noted that the face is sort of an old-style Guts instead of the newer, conservative Guts.

I really like the inking style, it makes the armor look really cool. You could improve a bit on the face and the hair. I'd try doing some pencil sketches and upload them for review before spending a bunch of time detailing the armor.

thegodwenis

elbow-foreskin of evil
I really liked how you inked the armor too, but because the hair is a solid black shape (at least on my computer it doesn't look like it has any shading) the lack of detail is a huge contrast in a not-so-great way. Otherwise it looks fantastic :ubik:

Bekul said:
Woah, that is appropriately awesome. India ink?
Nope, I'm using Microns and Sharpie so far, but I think I might go back over some of the dark spots with india ink if I go and buy some for the cape.
thegodwenis said:
the lack of detail is a huge contrast in a not-so-great way.
Ugh, yeah I'm totally with you. I was thinking about how to do it and settled on two possible ways. The first was to do it super detailed, and the second was to do it similar to how Miura does it in some panels, where there may be detail, but just in a flash of highlight. So I tried doing the first one, and it looked like crap, so I tried to morph it into the second one, but then it looked worse, so I said "SCREW IT WE'RE GOING WITH BLACK."
I should have done a few thumbnails on the hair, but I'm dumb like that.

Yeah, Guts hair is a bitch. I've tried drawing it on multiple occasions and i'm never happy with how it comes out.

I was thinking about experimenting with some white ink stuff, but I have no idea what that is.

I got a Sumi-Brush the other day for the cape, but I'm afraid to screw it up, so I think I might practice some before tackling it.

Top Bottom