Doctor Who

I recently watched all the Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant series. It's a very fun show. Not to be taken super seriously but it's definitely entertaining. The new season is now being shown on BBC America with Matt Smith playing The Doctor.

Anyone else watching?

In case anyone is wondering what Doctor Who is about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

If you choose to begin watching, I suggest starting when Eccleston is the Doctor. That's when the series was relaunched.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Oh yes. I am a great big huge ridiculous Doctor Who fan since about 1980. The new stuff isn't bad. Though it does crack me up that Eccles seemed to give it up so fast like he didn't want to be typecast in skiffy kids' stuff and then where does he show up next but as Destro in the most directionless kids' franchise reinvention ever.

Anyone who's into radio drama is in for a treat too: Big Finish Audio has been making Doctor Who stuff for over ten years now and the majority of it is just plain brilliant. They do stories for Doctors 5 - 8 (basically creating a good solid canon for poor TV Movie Eight) plus spinoffs for villains and whichever supporting cast wants to show up, and David Tennant (the Tenth Doctor) was in a few of them as well before he was cast as the Doctor.

Nicholas Briggs, an awesomely huge humongous fanboy, is the Executive Producer over at Big Finish, which is part of why it is so awesome most of the time. He also does the Dalek voices and other baddie voiceovers in the new TV series.

I wanted to maybe buy some older episodes (60's 70's), but they're pricey. I dig the music big time though. Murray Gold is pretty awesome. All The Strange Strange Creatures. My fav.

Lithrael said:
Though it does crack me up that Eccles seemed to give it up so fast like he didn't want to be typecast in skiffy kids' stuff and then where does he show up next but as Destro in the most directionless kids' franchise reinvention ever.
Too true. David Tennant was great though. Blessing in disguise.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Anyone who wants to watch some of the older stuff can PM me for where the naughty people put it on Youtube.

Yeah, the only real low point for the oldschool music was like 86-87 when they were like OMFG WE HAVE SYNTHESIZERS WITH DRUM PADS ON THEM YEY

HeavyWeather

Heavy Rainfall Activated
I love Doctor Who.
Nine was my favourite of the New Whos, too bad he wasn't around long. Unfortunately, my favourite Who character of all time is actually Jack Harkness.

Just started watching it yesterday. Managed to pick up the specials on blueray used for 35 bucks, and aside from a crease in the binding it is in perfect condition.

I never started the series because I always thought I wouldn't have the time to start watching something that expansive ... like the old and new school versions. So much to do, so little time *sigh*

Top Bottom