Other Miura art?

I've tried searching the site, but the number of hits with Miura and art is more then I would like to search through unless I have a full weekend.

So, I'm curious if anyone knows places with some good alternate Miuara art besides Berserk? I'm curious about his other works and I mostly mean things like paintings and large drawings, not so much other manga work. I really like his attention to detail and his style and would like to see it applied in some more elaborate works. Googling for it myself gave me 20+ pages of Berserk material so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:
So, I'm curious if anyone knows places with some good alternate Miuara art besides Berserk? I'm curious about his other works and I mostly mean things like paintings and large drawings, not so much other manga work.

He's done some paintings for his earlier titles, but other than that and Berserk there's almost nothing. Berserk takes all his free time, plain and simple. Two things you can look into are his collaborative work with Umino Chica (he did a promotional cover for a volume of March Comes in Like a Lion) and his artwork for Vocaloid.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
uminomiura.gif

Here's a slightly bigger version of his cover for Umino.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of Miura's artwork, there's an exhibition taking place soon: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/exhibition/index.html

It's an art gallery called Asiagraph 2010 that will be held in Shanghai from June 12 till 14, and Miura will have some paintings shown there (see those on YA's page) along with others from 3 other famous mangaka (including some JoJo artwork from Hirohiko Araki). The art will be displayed in 3D.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Speaking of Miura's artwork, there's an exhibition taking place soon: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/exhibition/index.html

It's an art gallery called Asiagraph 2010 that will be held in Shanghai from June 12 till 14, and Miura will have some paintings shown there (see those on YA's page) along with others from 3 other famous mangaka (including some JoJo artwork from Hirohiko Araki). The art will be displayed in 3D.
Of course Miura and Araki will meet up and decide to do collaboration art... and send it to my house signed by both of them. :troll:
This is awesome news though, even if that doesn't happen!

Edit: So the other artists seem to be Obata of Death Note fame, and Taiyo Matsumoto. Kinda wish Inoue or anybody else really had replaced Obata, but this is still very awesome news!

Heh..that cover is so....not what I would normally associate with him, despite his use of chibi versions of characters in the manga. A shame that there isn't a lot of work of his outside of Berserk. Berserk is great, but other kinds of work would be great just to see him doing something different. I definitly think his exellence lies in the black and white line drawings. His colored work is good, but not outstanding what Ive seen so far, which is why I would have loved to see some paintings by him that aren't for a manga or Berserk related.

Obata would not get me as exited as Matsumoto tho. I think Matsumoto has a more distinct style. To bad Shanghai isn't exactly around the corner from here.

Obata? I'm actually surprised to see anyone ripping on this artist, I found all the pin up and color cover art for the Death Note series to be extremely visually appealing. It had sort of an evil religious look to it, if that makes any sense. Death Note was also one of the few mangas besides Berserk that I could actually enjoy. So maybe this is why Miura is on a break? Preparing for the show?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight said:
So maybe this is why Miura is on a break? Preparing for the show?

No. I doubt he's prepared anything for it. He's not going there and he didn't do any new artwork for the occasion.

Not sure this belongs here, and possibly this has been asked before... but does anyone know how Miura applies grayscale to his manga panel artwork? I don't know anything about creating comicbooks so that's why I ask.

Also, small details like the poison dripping into the drink in vol 8 page 101 is very neat. I assume that's painted with acrylic or water color or something, perhaps this detail was even in color before it was printed in black and white?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Not sure this belongs here, and possibly this has been asked before... but does anyone know how Miura applies grayscale to his manga panel artwork? I don't know anything about creating comicbooks so that's why I ask.

Also, small details like the poison dripping into the drink in vol 8 page 101 is very neat. I assume that's painted with acrylic or water color or something, perhaps this detail was even in color before it was printed in black and white?

Do you know of screentones? That might be the answer to your question about grayscale. For example, the scene with the poison drop in volume 8 could have been created by superposing a darker screentone over a light one and then erasing it to give it the shape of a drop in a liquid. Tricky but makes for a very cool looking result.

Other than that, Miura just uses classic hatching.

While looking up that image, I really noticed how much he has grown as an artist over the years. In the beginning, his art was already good, but it still had many conventional was of drawing things. In his later work he seems so much more free and having found a personal and natural way to translate images into line drawings.

And the poison drop mentioned: look up sumi-e or india ink. Normal watercolor ink doesn't have the consistancy to make nice ink drawings like that.

Top Bottom