[ART OF WAR] - 『Guts』 2010 ver. 1/6 scale

I think the face on this is great and I want it. The problem I have is, my first pay cheque isn't going to be until the end of November :judo:

O

oddmania

first of I would like to thank Armored_Berserk for the pictures because I was thinking of buying it,but after seeing them no way,personally I think its to small for the price if it was like the 20th Anniversary I wouldn't hesitate .
I just can't understand why AOW make small statue's ?!!
they should take a look at the masters of sculpting sideshow collectible's

I got 2 questions for you.

oddmania said:
first of I would like to thank Armored_Berserk for the pictures because I was thinking of buying it,but after seeing them no way,personally I think its to small for the price if it was like the 20th Anniversary I wouldn't hesitate .

The 20th anniversary guts was 80,000 yen. This one's 60,000 yen. How is 20,000 LESS for this one not worth it? They're both blood stained with a complementary statue. The demon solider is bigger than the Daiba.

oddmania said:

Since when is 6th scale small? If this statue's small to you, how do you feel about 99% of the rest of what they've made, since it's mostly all 10th scale?

I don't get it....... I must be missing something.............

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Nirvana said:
The 20th anniversary guts was 80,000 yen. This one's 60,000 yen. How is 20,000 LESS for this one not worth it? They're both blood stained with a complementary statue. The demon solider is bigger than the Daiba.

Less if you just bought Guts! :guts:

I don't mind the smaller size. I hardly have enough room as it is. I really have no idea where I'm going to put it. I like the dynamic cape on this one more than the 20th, though. They both have pros and cons. The face is more accurate on this one, too.

Congrats to everyone who bought this beauty!

Aphasia said:
Less if you just bought Guts! :guts:

That's true. And less if you bought their 1/6th Griffith, too :griffnotevil:

Aphasia said:
I don't mind the smaller size. I hardly have enough room as it is. I really have no idea where I'm going to put it. I like the dynamic cape on this one more than the 20th, though. They both have pros and cons. The face is more accurate on this one, too.

The 20th anniversary one was roughly 5th scale. This being 6th, there's not that big of a size difference that should sway someone in one direction or the other. You're not getting that much less Guts, just a different pose. It's not like they've gone from 1/1 to 1/4 scale with these two releases. And yeah, I like the cape better on this one as well. There's a lot more life to it. You're right about the face being better on this one, too.

O

oddmania

I got 2 questions for you.

Since when is 6th scale small? If this statue's small to you, how do you feel about 99% of the rest of what they've made, since it's mostly all 10th scale?

I don't get it....... I must be missing something.............

Let me start by saying my 20th anniversary guts cost me 1,110 $, I'm very happy with it & glad that I bought it.
What I'm saying is they should make bigger models if there going to charge this much on it?!!
I know their work is great & I love them but think about it the small scale models should be cheaper & they shouldn't raise the bar on the 5th & 6th scale models.

Take a look at sideshowtoy.com & you'll get my point. :serpico:

EDIT: One more thing, I meant that the statue is short due to the pose, not small. I prefer that the poses should stick with the smaller or middle statues as we've seen from AOW & make the bigger statues like the 20th anniversary Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
oddmania said:
What I'm saying is they should make bigger models if there going to charge this much on it?!!
I know their work is great & I love them but think about it the small scale models should be cheaper & they shouldn't raise the bar on the 5th & 6th scale models.

Hahaha, don't worry, we're all aware of the pricing being too high. Not much to be done about it though.

oddmania said:
Let me start by saying my 20th anniversary guts cost me 1,110 $,I'm very happy with it & glad that I bought it.
what I'm saying is they should make bigger models if there going to charge this much on it?!!
I know there work is great & I love them but think about it the small scale models should be cheaper & they shouldn't raise the bar on the 5th & 6th scale models .
take a look at sideshowtoy.com & you'll get my point :serpico:

I have to agree with you. I have stopped buying most Art of War statues because they are just too expensive for what you get. For instance I bought this Sideshow Gandalf statue:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300017
It is over 20 inches tall and his staff has an LED light up feature as well. It cost me $290.

I still love the select AOW statues that are in my collection such as Zodd and Wyald, Skullknight on horse 2, Guts and Slan etc. But I will only buy them rarely nowadays. That being said I just bought this 1/6 scale guts XD
I really love the pose and face sculpt ,and the paint job is very good too.Found one on ebay and they accepted my offer of $580 so I couldn't resist.

Aphasia

Asherak said:
I have to agree with you. I have stopped buying most Art of War statues because they are just too expensive for what you get. For instance I bought this Sideshow Gandalf statue:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300017
It is over 20 inches tall and his staff has an LED light up feature as well. It cost me $290.

I know right? Sideshow puts out some incredibly high quality products, for a very affordable price. So does Hot Toys. Unfortunately, it looks like AOW has a monopoly on high quality berserk statues at the moment, with a lack of competition there's not much to drive the price down. This will be my very first AOW (and come to mention it Berserk!) statue yet, so I'm pretty excited and still grateful for the work they do.

(Even if it breaks my balls)

PS: I nabbed the Aragon figurine. SO cool! : ) It's awesome that your Gandalf staff lights up.

Sideshow's paint is too thick and bland for my taste, but I'll agree for what you're paying you get a much better deal than what you would get from AoW. If you get something repainted from the very talented artists at boards like SSF, a Sideshow statue or fig could look phenomenal (especially something sculpted by Trevor Grove).

I'm a big fan of Hot Toys, but it's too bad they've never explored the anime field outside of Golgo 13 and Appleseed. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but Berserk figs from them would be amazing.

Berserk by Hot Toys would be a dream come true!

As for size there aren't very many Japanese companies making 1/4 scale stuff. Japanese people don't have the space.

As far as price. There is no good reason for it :p

That's true about the Japanese and 1/4 stuff. I was very surprised when they made that 1/4 Cloud Strife and Gabranth. A 1/4 or 1/3 Guts would be amazing, but the cost to commission somebody would be insane.

oddmania said:
they should take a look at the masters of sculpting sideshow collectible's

The 1/6e is smaller, yeah, but it's better in my opinion.

Best Armored Berserk out here.

oddmania said:
Let me start by saying my 20th anniversary guts cost me 1,110 $, I'm very happy with it & glad that I bought it.

Take a look at sideshowtoy.com & you'll get my point. :serpico:

EDIT: One more thing, I meant that the statue is short due to the pose, not small. I prefer that the poses should stick with the smaller or middle statues as we've seen from AOW & make the bigger statues like the 20th anniversary Guts.

Lol, Sideshow is not a good example.

There are always problem with paintjob on their statue...
And paint application is poor compared to AOW's statue.

Also resin on sideshow is not as good as AOW. I knocked some of my Berserk's statues and no break. I can't say the same for my sideshow statue.

I don't tell Sideshow is bad, but you can't compare AOW price to Sideshow price, the quality is really not the same.

O

oddmania

Lol, Sideshow is not a good example.

There are always problem with paintjob on their statue...
And paint application is poor compared to AOW's statue.

Also resin on sideshow is not as good as AOW. I knocked some of my Berserk's statues and no break. I can't say the same for my sideshow statue.

I don't tell Sideshow is bad, but you can't compare AOW price to Sideshow price, the quality is really not the same.

Sideshow's work is excellent, problems with their statues were before.
I'm comparing size, quality, details & price.
You will find that sideshow has good thing's that AOW doesn't have.

Plus the Japanese stuff is usually more expensive the the American.

oddmania said:
Sideshow's work is excellent, problems with their statues were before.
I'm comparing size, quality, details & price.
You will find that sideshow has good thing's that AOW doesn't have.

Plus the Japanese stuff is usually more expensive the the American.

Before the Iron Man Mark VI maquette out one month ago? :schierke:

The only good thing that Sideshow is size and price. Nothing else.

DirectDK said:
Whaaaa!??? Shameful!! :serpico:

Nothing really bad :guts:

Aphasia

Armored_Berserk said:
Nothing really bad :guts:
You must've been playing that kind of baseball where you use the 20th anniversary statue as the bat and a beherit as the ball! Good fun. Played that with some chaps the other day.

On a side note; anyone know what kind of packaging this comes in? I saw some other AOW stuff that came in wood. It looked classy as tits.

Aphasia said:
You must've been playing that kind of baseball where you use the 20th anniversary statue as the bat and a beherit as the ball! Good fun. Played that with some chaps the other day.

On a side note; anyone know what kind of packaging this comes in? I saw some other AOW stuff that came in wood. It looked classy as tits.

:ganishka:

I like the 1/6 statue more too. I also think it has the best Guts head sculpt to date.

Armored_Berserk said:
The only good thing that Sideshow is size and price. Nothing else.

You can't be serious. I do agree that their paint apps need work, but they're the only company that has had a good Harrison Ford likeness (he's very hard to do) and they have plenty of other good sculpts. Here's a pic of repaints for example (make sure you enlarge the pic). The first 2 are Premium Formats and the rest are 1/6 heads. The Malcom Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) is a custom sculpt, but done by Sideshow's Trevor Grove.

http://yfrog.com/n817589361j

Sideshow's over rated. Their Street Fighter line sucks. Their Ken statue looks like Julia Styles and their M. Bison is the most boring shit I ever saw in my life. Sota would have done a 10x better job. Plus, comparing their Lord of the Rings statues and the price they sell for isn't really fair to compare them to Berserk statues. How many people in the world love LOTR and Gandolf? Now how many people love Berserk and Void? Obviously you'll have to charge more to make a profit. I am in no way, whatsoever, defending AOW's prices, but come on now, don't be ridiculous. And a lot of sideshow's stuff looks like painted wax. I have some sideshow statues and a friend of mine buys a lot of sideshow stuff. A lot of times AOW's sculpting is a lot more detailed and true to the original work than sideshows (not by any means that AOW's sculpts are perfect), but it's not really fair to compare AOW's prices with sideshows. It would be like comparing AOW's prices with Bowen's marvel line. It just doesn't make any sense to do. How many people are likely to buy a Captain American or Wolverine bust from Bowen? Now, how many people are likely to buy a 1/6 scale statue of Guts from AOW? Selling merchandise to a franchise's audience is a tricky bitch, that needs to be kept in perspective. Not everyone's like me, and Derek, and Maiku. Again, I don't agree with or want to pay as much as AOW charges with for some of their statues, but if that's what it takes for them to make a Serpico, or an apostle form Grunbeld and Irvine, I'll take one for the team. The moral of the post is, Sideshow's over rated, and in most recent instances, couldn't do as much for the price they're selling for as AOW does. Their 3 most recent being this Serpico statue, the 1/6 scale guts, and their 20 anniversary Guts. If sideshow made them, how many do you think they would have sold, with the same scale and of the same material, and with the same sculpt? Not many more than AOW did. Because Berserk is Berserk and Lord of the Rings is Lord of the Rings.

O

oddmania

Nirvana said:
Sideshow's over rated. Their Street Fighter line sucks. Their Ken statue looks like Julia Styles and their M. Bison is the most boring shit I ever saw in my life. Sota would have done a 10x better job. Plus, comparing their Lord of the Rings statues and the price they sell for isn't really fair to compare them to Berserk statues. How many people in the world love LOTR and Gandolf? Now how many people love Berserk and Void? Obviously you'll have to charge more to make a profit. I am in no way, whatsoever, defending AOW's prices, but come on now, don't be ridiculous. And a lot of sideshow's stuff looks like painted wax. I have some sideshow statues and a friend of mine buys a lot of sideshow stuff. A lot of times AOW's sculpting is a lot more detailed and true to the original work than sideshows (not by any means that AOW's sculpts are perfect), but it's not really fair to compare AOW's prices with sideshows. It would be like comparing AOW's prices with Bowen's marvel line. It just doesn't make any sense to do. How many people are likely to buy a Captain American or Wolverine bust from Bowen? Now, how many people are likely to buy a 1/6 scale statue of Guts from AOW? Selling merchandise to a franchise's audience is a tricky bitch, that needs to be kept in perspective. Not everyone's like me, and Derek, and Maiku. Again, I don't agree with or want to pay as much as AOW charges with for some of their statues, but if that's what it takes for them to make a Serpico, or an apostle form Grunbeld and Irvine, I'll take one for the team. The moral of the post is, Sideshow's over rated, and in most recent instances, couldn't do as much for the price they're selling for as AOW does. Their 3 most recent being this Serpico statue, the 1/6 scale guts, and their 20 anniversary Guts. If sideshow made them, how many do you think they would have sold, with the same scale and of the same material, and with the same sculpt? Not many more than AOW did. Because Berserk is Berserk and Lord of the Rings is Lord of the Rings.

No company on the face of the earth can give much better details, Sideshow are the best when it comes to Marvel, Terminator & Predator. Now they are trying to take D.C & to who may think that their work is cheap?!! Check out Doctor Doom Premium Format Figure 14" H (355.6mm) x 11" W (279.4mm) x 13.5" D (342.9mm) & Weight 25.00 lbs. Enough said.

Nirvana said:
Sideshow's over rated. Their Street Fighter line sucks. Their Ken statue looks like Julia Styles and their M. Bison is the most boring shit I ever saw in my life. Sota would have done a 10x better job.

Funny how you never even commented on how practically dead on those sculpts are that I linked (and it's harder to capture likenesses with realism where AoW can't capture manga) to and instead you chose to just bash one particular SF line (in terms of sculpts) which btw are not made by Sideshow. They are made by Jerry from Pop Culture Shock who was the head of SOTA! :griffnotevil: Capcom also said that his Ryu was the best representation of Ryu that they've seen. I'm not a big fan of their Ken either to be honest. Anyways, in terms of detail and stuff just look at those pics I posted if you even bothered. Some of them have skin pores and stuff (although nobody beats Hot Toys for that). Target audience has nothing to do on which company has more detail or accurate sculpts so i don't know why you brought that up. AoW obviously has the edge at this board being the only company that makes Berserk statues, but some of us are just saying we just don't feel we get enough for the $. I'm not a superhero collector myself (with the exception of TDK) and would love to add more Berserk to my collection, but not for those prices and sculpts (although to be fair I'm loving the new Berserker armor's sculpt). my personal favorite is Hot Toys due to all the high quality details and with most figs being under $200. A lot of HT's paint and sculpts beat out the $400+ statues out there.

*edit* I also feel I should add to be fair even though Sideshow does have some amazing sculpts out there, they do have their fair share of meh sculpts from some of their sculptors too. Their PF and 1/6 Legolas looks nothing like Bloom and I had to buy a custom head that my buddy just painted up for me and same with their 1/6 Anakin (the Anakin with the good likeness I posted above is the PF).

oddmania said:
No company on the face of the earth can give much better details, Sideshow are the best when it comes to Marvel, Terminator & Predator. Now they are trying to take D.C & to who may think that their work is cheap?!! Check out Doctor Doom Premium Format Figure 14" H (355.6mm) x 11" W (279.4mm) x 13.5" D (342.9mm) & Weight 25.00 lbs. Enough said.

Sideshow does a pretty good job, but i can't say "best" ... lets say as good as Bowen :)

BloodTalon said:
Funny how you never even commented on how practically dead on those sculpts are that I linked (and it's harder to capture likenesses with realism where AoW can't capture manga) to and instead you chose to just bash one particular SF line (in terms of sculpts) which btw are not made by Sideshow. They are made by Jerry from Pop Culture Shock who was the head of SOTA! :griffnotevil: Capcom also said that his Ryu was the best representation of Ryu that they've seen. I'm not a big fan of their Ken either to be honest. Anyways, in terms of detail and stuff just look at those pics I posted if you even bothered. Some of them have skin pores and stuff (although nobody beats Hot Toys for that). Target audience has nothing to do on which company has more detail or accurate sculpts so i don't know why you brought that up. AoW obviously has the edge at this board being the only company that makes Berserk statues, but some of us are just saying we just don't feel we get enough for the $. I'm not a superhero collector myself (with the exception of TDK) and would love to add more Berserk to my collection, but not for those prices and sculpts (although to be fair I'm loving the new Berserker armor's sculpt). my personal favorite is Hot Toys due to all the high quality details and with most figs being under $200. A lot of HT's paint and sculpts beat out the $400+ statues out there.

*edit* I also feel I should add to be fair even though Sideshow does have some amazing sculpts out there, they do have their fair share of meh sculpts from some of their sculptors too. Their PF and 1/6 Legolas looks nothing like Bloom and I had to buy a custom head that my buddy just painted up for me and same with their 1/6 Anakin (the Anakin with the good likeness I posted above is the PF).

Sorry to say but the Street Fighter line is WAAAAAAY too overrated!
look at the Ken ... HOORIBLE LIKENESS! Thats a joke to sculpt a character like that, really a joke :)
And what i am shocked about is the HORRIBLE stand of Bison ... horrible ... thats not his fighting stance, nor his pose stance, just horrible :) ... and the Face sculpt looks like he is on 5000mg Coritison ... no likeness at all!
Waaaay too overrated is also Ken and Akuma ... "good statues for 200-300 euros", but NO GRAIL AT ALL ... and to compare this with a Doom PF is just a huge joke :)

I really really like Sideshow!
They make some great statues, and i own a few.
But again, no likeness and nothing special about the SF line :)

THREAD DERAILED!!! :griffnotevil:

1/6 Guts turned into Sideshow vs. AoW turned into debating the quality of Pop Culture Shock's (not Sideshows) Street Fighter line.

ANYWAY. Heading home for the weekend, I rent a second place closer to work during the week, and my Guts should be waiting for me. Can't wait. :ubik:

Top Bottom