Episode 313

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Since I already posted Murmaider, I might as well get this one in too before the episode hits:

Murmaider II - The Water God (yes, that's really what it's called),

The coincidences don't stop there either, a sample of lyrics:

But now you've hidden away
To gain your strength

Deep in a cave
Your power is regained

And your legacy has spread
To the deepest of the sea
The one that brought them vengeance
That fights for his belief

He can swim through matter
He has poisoned teeth
His tentacles have murdered
His scream can kill the weak

I hope the real Sea God has poisoned teeth. :ganishka:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
グリフィス said:
He can swim through matter
He has poisoned teeth
His tentacles have murdered
His scream can kill the weak[/i]

I hope the real Sea God has poisoned teeth. :ganishka:

That's sick. Dethklok rocks.
Hojo said:
This is looking really good. I wonder what will happen to Isidro.

He's going to get eaten by the ravenous Sea God...like everyone else, except Guts. :guts:

Water monster lyrics...why not. :serpico:

Thing that should not be:

Messenger of Fear in sight
Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
Hunter of the Shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Crawling Chaos, underground
cult has summoned, twisted sound

Out from ruins once possessed
fallen city, living death

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
timeless sleep
has been upset
He awakens
immortal
in madness You dwell

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die

drain you of your sanity
face The Thing That Should Not Be

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
immortal
in madness You dwell.

That songs makes me want to read the H.P. Lovecraft story each time I hear it. And on that note...where is my Mountains of Madness movie!?

Griffith

DIE FOR THE WATER GOD!

Well, Aaz was basically right on about the contents of the episode, as was my observation! :guts:

Anyway, fun episode, liked Isma's backstory and potential, she's either naive or not being totally forthcoming, and I like that Guts, who clearly suspected what was going on in 312, just sat there as long as he did. It's like he really was hungry and just didn't feel like dealing with it until after lunch.

Also, am I the only that thought for a moment that Isma's mother could be the Sea God? =)

Sounds like some major badassery is on the way, can't wait. :ubik:

Edit: Bloodbath on its way for sure, yeepee!! Guts in action is always welcome. On a side note... pages 12-13 are hella creepy, those villagers are just.. ew. :magni:

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
Anyway, fun episode, liked Isma's backstory and potential, she's either naive or not being totally forthcoming, and I like that Guts, who clearly suspected what was going on in 312, just sat there as long as he did. It's like he really was hungry and just didn't feel like dealing with it until after lunch.

Yea, I love how cool Guts acts here. Plus it was great seeing him use the throwing knives, always useful they are. And of course how lightning quick he was with that strike gave a classic Isidro expression :isidro:. The whole second half was intensely creepy. The way all those "villagers" were staring as soon as Roderick stepped through the door was nightmarish. I'm glad Isma explains how the village was before and after the "strange wind", but I don't think she's being totally honest about everything either, at least not herself.

Aphasia

Oburi said:
Yea, I love how cool Guts acts here. Plus it was great seeing him use the throwing knives, always useful they are. And of course how lightning quick he was with that strike gave a classic Isidro expression :isidro:. The whole second half was intensely creepy. The way all those "villagers" were staring as soon as Roderick stepped through the door was nightmarish. I'm glad Isma explains how the village was before and after the "strange wind", but I don't think she's being totally honest about everything either, at least not herself.

Awesome episode! That felt good after a break. I missed it.

I get the same feeling from Isma. She goes back and forth a lot, between joking and being serious. That leads me to think she's not telling us everything, but at the same time she seems to be being honest with them? Maybe it's those eyes. So cute and innocent. She is most assuredly not a bad character at this point.

I bet a dollar her mother will play a pivotal role in how this story arc turns out. You're totally right about the second half being scary, the villages are so damn creepy when Roderick opens the door and they're all just staring at him. Perhaps there will be so many tentacles Guts and everyone will have to retreat to Isma's house for safety.

I also have to add that Pucks interpretation of a Zora-like mermaid was quite hilarious.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I like how Walter caught onto the protective circle on Isma's door during the last episode. I wonder if the pirates will be coming to the island to join their tentacle comrades.

I wonder if Isma's mother was some kind of Keeper of the sealed sea god. I bet Isma will awaken her "mermaid powers" to fight the Old God.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Also there is a full moon! I am hoping for the appearance of the Moonlight Boy. :guts: Casca looked serious for a moment too :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:

Hahaha, it's like at this point Guts doesn't even get involved with monsters anymore unless they attack him first. If only people the world over would be that tolerant. :void: As for Isma, her story is interesting even though it was predictable for the most part. I think she's being honest with them too. One thing that's particularly interesting to me is the fact a group of astral beings (the merrows) battled another, evil astral being (the Sea God) in the past. That sets a precedent for astral beings siding with Guts & friends to oppose the God Hand in the future.

D0dole said:
On a side note... pages 12-13 are hella creepy, those villagers are just.. ew. :magni:

Yeah, it's really a great panel. I love those, like the ones in episode 312 or during the ball in Vritannis (when the tigers broke through the windows).

Oburi said:
I'm glad Isma explains how the village was before and after the "strange wind", but I don't think she's being totally honest about everything either, at least not herself.

To be honest it was a given that the village had been normal before the merging of the worlds and that the Sea God's power surged at that time, allowing it to transform all the villagers as well as the pirates. The last couple of episodes had made it all pretty clear. About Isma, so far her story makes sense at least, and she's given Isidro and Schierke valuable information about the Sea God (that was verified in this episode). Maybe there's more to it than she knows/is willing to reveal, maybe not. In any case she still definitely seems well-intentioned.

Aphasia said:
I also have to add that Pucks interpretation of a Zora-like mermaid was quite hilarious.

Agreed. Casca's fish-face isn't bad either. :ganishka:

Dar Klink said:
I like how Walter caught onto the protective circle on Isma's door during the last episode. I wonder if the pirates will be coming to the island to join their tentacle comrades.

Well it was kind of hard to miss. :iva: Anyway, I think the pirates must already be near the island, maybe even in the cave. I still wonder whether or not it was the Sea God itself that controlled their ghost ship...

Truder said:
Also there is a full moon! I am hoping for the appearance of the Moonlight Boy. :guts: Casca looked serious for a moment too :casca:

Hehe, now that would be quite something... Would he also save the group in extremis from the Sea God's extreme power? :slan:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Fantastic episode. Miura's art is stunning as always. A lot of dark rooms in this one.

Everyone's right about the transformed villagers. I am never disappointed by the creepy character designs in Berserk. :troll:

I can't get enough of Isma and her cute funny faces. Look at how much fun Miura has drawing her!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Sea God's true face. The creepy shadows in Isma's story are nice and foreboding.

Griffith

Aphasia said:
I bet a dollar her mother will play a pivotal role in how this story arc turns out.

That's a good bet, if not her mother herself, than at least the merrows.

Truder said:

Maybe... Aaz, did you spot any horns on the horizon? :zodd:

Aazealh said:
As for Isma, her story is interesting even though it was predictable for the most part. I think she's being honest with them too.

Yeah, I don't think Isma is being dishonest or isn't what she seems, she's just naturally a little coy and is clearly more than she seems. It could likely be that Schierke knows more about that than even Isma does at this point.

Aazealh said:
One thing that's particularly interesting to me is the fact a group of astral beings (the merrows) battled another, evil astral being (the Sea God) in the past. That sets a precedent for astral beings siding with Guts & friends to oppose the God Hand in the future.

They may have to side with them here before too long. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, I think the pirates must already be near the island, maybe even in the cave. I still wonder whether or not it was the Sea God itself that controlled their ghost ship...

Yeah, there's potentially a confluence of elements, or separate but overlapping powers, at work here.

Aww, feels good to say such things again. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the Sea God's true face. The creepy shadows in Isma's story are nice and foreboding.

I hope it's something really horrifying and unique. I'm a little surprised that the villagers can transform into standard sea cucumber tentacles (and what's at the base?).

グリフィス said:
Yeah, I don't think Isma is being dishonest or isn't what she seems, she's just naturally a little coy and is clearly more than she seems. It could likely be that Schierke knows more about that than even Isma does at this point.

Indeed.

グリフィス said:
They may have to side with them here before too long.

And when all's said and done, Isma will swim away with her newfound people? Awww. :guts:

Great episode! One thing I can never get enough of are Miura's monster designs. The two page spread and those tentacle fangs rising after Guts stabbed the creature's eye are amazing! I can literally see them moving and pulsating!

So, if I get this correctly, the monstrous sea cucumber was actually just one of Sea God's tentacles roaming the ocean? The panel depicting those shadows moving through the ocean is really scary and makes me wonder about the sheer size of that thing! Or, can tentacles be unattached from the main body? Somehow that makes more sense with villagers transforming into them and everything. But then again, it's so dark and we've never seen any of the transformed humans head to toe... they might all be attached to the Sea God somehow ^_^;

Also, love how Isma is a child of a human and a merrow! Much more interesting than just a regular mermaid :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I just hope Isma won't die now that we already love her...

It could be interesting in terms of scenario though. Isidro and Schierke helping each other through their mutual grief, things like that.

Maldoror said:
So, if I get this correctly, the monstrous sea cucumber was actually just one of Sea God's tentacles roaming the ocean? The panel depicting those shadows moving through the ocean is really scary and makes me wonder about the sheer size of that thing! Or, can tentacles be unattached from the main body?

It was one of the Sea God's creatures, that's for sure. But whether or not it was itself a tentacle of a bigger monster... We don't know at the moment, but that would make a little too many tentacles on top of other tentacles, don't you think? And it wouldn't fit with the general anatomy of sea cucumbers (a big worm with tentacles near its mouth). Yet there was apparently more to the ghost ship than just that one sea cucumber, so who knows?

Maldoror said:
Somehow that makes more sense with villagers transforming into them and everything. But then again, it's so dark and we've never seen any of the transformed humans head to toe... they might all be attached to the Sea God somehow ^_^;

I don't think so. I mean we saw the villagers in different places on the island and they were not connected to anything that the characters could see. They'd have to be "connected" to the Sea God through the floor itself and it seems totally impractical and far-fetched to me. But then again, the innkeeper did transform into a sea cucumber tentacle... Or are those supposed to be miniature giant sea cucumber monsters themselves? I'm getting a headache. :void:

Aazealh said:
It was one of the Sea God's creatures, that's for sure. But whether or not it was itself a tentacle of a bigger monster... We don't know at the moment, but that would make a little too many tentacles on top of other tentacles, don't you think? And it wouldn't fit with the general anatomy of sea cucumbers (a big worm with tentacles near its mouth).

Like I said, the way it was presented to us made me wonder. With those shadowy tentacles stretching through the ocean and then Isidro and Schierke remembering the creature they encountered earlier. Roderick could have just used "sea cucumber" as a derogatory term to describe the monster because it had the same general appearance as a sea cucumber. Isma's story suggests a huge creature so maybe those smaller ones are just "fingers" of huge tentacles. :)

Aazealh said:
I don't think so. I mean we saw the villagers in different places on the island and they were not connected to anything that the characters could see. They'd have to be "connected" to the Sea God through the floor itself and it seems totally impractical and far-fetched to me. But then again, the innkeeper did transform into a sea cucumber tentacle...

Yeah, it seems far-fetched and unlikely to me too but, like you said, it's that tentacle-like appearance that made me wonder again! On the other hand, it could be that both the sea cucumber from before and those transformed villagers are just, as you suggested, worm like in appearance and only look similar. Might even be that transformed villagers can merge to form a bigger creature. I'm sure it will be more clear by the time next episode arrives.

Aphasia

Truder said:
Also there is a full moon! I am hoping for the appearance of the Moonlight Boy. :guts: Casca looked serious for a moment too:casca:
I'd forgotten about that! Hopefully we get to see the little guy, now that I think about it it seems such would be likely given the scenario and the super hinted at full moon.
Aazealh said:
I don't think so. I mean we saw the villagers in different places on the island and they were not connected to anything that the characters could see. They'd have to be "connected" to the Sea God through the floor itself and it seems totally impractical and far-fetched to me. But then again, the innkeeper did transform into a sea cucumber tentacle... Or are those supposed to be miniature giant sea cucumber monsters themselves? I'm getting a headache. :void:
Yeah, it's kind of hard to tell at this point. I would assume they are connected to the main portion of the Sea God somehow, after seeing the panel with it's arms stretching out underneath the ocean. But who knows, maybe the Sea God simply "infected" or possessed them, and they became separate entities (in body) from him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maldoror said:
Roderick could have just used "sea cucumber" as a derogatory term to describe the monster because it had the same general appearance as a sea cucumber.

I don't think it was just a random term Roderick threw around. There were references to food throughout the whole episode with the boss and sea cucumber is a delicacy in Japan, not to mention that it visually fits the part perfectly (even what the boss says about its "beard" is coherent). Regardless of what the Sea God turns out to be and how it connects to its minions, I guarantee you that those monsters were inspired by sea cucumbers.

As for the big one just being a tentacle of the Sea God, that would presuppose an incredible length considering how far from the island the pirates were when they were attacked and transformed.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aazealh said:
As for the big one just being a tentacle of the Sea God, that would presuppose an incredible length considering how far from the island the pirates were when they were attacked and transformed.
I wonder how Guts will cut that? :beast:

For those who have read the new episode, please allow me to ask some (ignorance-based) stupid questions.

Does the episode show the Merrows? And if so, do they look like "typical" mermaids (lower half of a fish, top half of a person)? Or do they look like what Isma looked like at the end of Episode 312?

And is it safe to assume that the sea cucumber monster tentacles weren't tentacles, but instead they were simply... sea cucumber monsters? And, if this is true, I'm infinitely happy that my ironclad faith in Miura has been reaffirmed so far:

Imperator Perpetuo said:
I also had a sigh of relief over the fact that Miura didn't go the kraken route (yet). That idea was being thrown around so much. I was starting to fear it might actually happen. I have no doubt that Miura would not only make a unique version of the creature but it'd also be fantastic, but I'm just getting kind of tired of the idea when there are so many choices for aquatic threats out there.

But then again we haven't seen the Sea God itself yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Imperator Perpetuo said:
Does the episode show the Merrows?

Their silhouettes.

Imperator Perpetuo said:
do they look like "typical" mermaids (lower half of a fish, top half of a person)? Or do they look like what Isma looked like at the end of Episode 312?

They look like typical mermaids, which is what traditional merrows look like anyway. And is also what Isma looks like at the end of episode 312. :slan:

Imperator Perpetuo said:
And is it safe to assume that the sea cucumber monsters tentacles weren't tentacles, but instead they were simply... sea cucumber monsters?

Well... Are you familiar with the anatomy of a sea cucumber? It's basically a worm that's got tentacles near its mouth. Makes for an unusual monster.

Sea_cucumber.jpg

Imperator Perpetuo said:
But then again we haven't seen the Sea God itself yet.

And I don't expect it to be revealed in the next episode either. That being said, I would be surprised if it were "just" a big squid.

Aazealh said:
There were references to food throughout the whole episode with the boss and sea cucumber is a delicacy in Japan, not to mention that it visually fits the part perfectly (even what the boss says about its "beard" is coherent). Regardless of what the Sea God turns out to be and how it connects to its minions, I guarantee you that those monsters were inspired by sea cucumbers.

Oh yeah, it's been mentioned earlier. Really cool thing to know! With that in mind it does make sense for it to be a separate creature with villagers being smaller versions/parts of it. Still not sure though... can't wait to learn more about the Sea God and its influence!

Aazealh said:
Their silhouettes.

They look like typical mermaids, which is what traditional merrows look like anyway. And is also what Isma looks like at the end of episode 312. :slan:

Well... Are you familiar with the anatomy of a sea cucumber? It's basically a worm that's got tentacles near its mouth. Makes for an unusual monster.

http://aazealh.net/Divers/Sea_cucumber.jpg

And I don't expect it to be revealed in the next episode either. That being said, I would be surprised if it were "just" a big squid.

Ah, I see what you’re saying about the sea cucumber, my friend. I was thinking that each tentacle was an individual sea cucumber monster. And thank you so much for the reply. I truly appreciate it. :)

I’m so fascinated about all of the little details of the story right now. It’s like an entire new (aquatic) world has opened up, and I’m eager to find out everything I can about it. So please bear with me. I won’t be too much of a bother, I promise. :serpico:

Top Bottom