Games to look forward to!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the pictures. I can't say I'm interested in the game at the moment. About the trailer... What can I say, I just don't find it as daring or as meaningful as you do, I guess. No big deal.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I thought the emotion in it was warranted. The trailer is about parents trying to protect their daughter, who ultimately kills her dad, then is thrown from a window, and upon impact, regains her humanity for an instant before death. The color returns to her face and she sheds a tear. That's pretty cool, in my opinion.

I don't object to their being emotion, I just thought it was forced.

Walter said:
It dared to grab for an emotional chord in a genre that would normally portray this sort of scene through a much different lens, and likely set to metal music. I don't see why we should discount this just because it went there.

I'm not, it just wasn't done effectively for me, all the pomp and circumstance made it less emotional in fact. I don't see what they did as so different from trying to make it exciting or hardcore via the metal treatment.

Walter said:
I know you're a connoisseur of the classics in the genre, but what recent zombie stuff have you consumed (pun intended)? Left 4 Dead games? The Walking Dead comic book? I think people generally write these things off, simply by their association with a genre that's become cluttered with other, lesser titles. But there's some amazing stuff still here, and still unexplored within the genre.

Of course, good is good and anything can be done well, but I've seen this before and there's so much zombie crap out there I can't give it all the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't mean I won't give it a chance, but I'll believe it when I see it. I also think it's odd that this is a new direction when the origins of the genre were already pretty self-serious explorations of the human condition, subtler drama where the action spoke for itself and you drew your own conclusions for the most part. Now it's like the genre has evolved (or devolved depending on how you look at it) to the point where it can be taken seriously as a standard traditional melodrama. Could a zombie movie win best picture in the next decade?

Aazealh said:
About the trailer... What can I say, I just don't find it as daring or as meaningful as you do, I guess. No big deal.

Same, I even appreciate it technically, but I didn't think it was anything special beyond that.

"Open world survival horror" sounds like something that can be cool if done right. I'll keep my eye on it.

Walter said:
I know you're a connoisseur of the classics in the genre, but what recent zombie stuff have you consumed? Left 4 Dead games? The Walking Dead comic book? I think people generally write these things off, simply by their association with a genre that's become cluttered with other, lesser titles.

Am I the only one that absolutely hated The Walking Dead comic book? I read around 10 or 15 issues and I just hated every single thing about it.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Wow those graphics look fantastic. Probably the best I've ever seen in a game. I'm a little worried how they're going to handle the gameplay being in reverse and slow motion, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
"Open world survival horror" sounds like something that can be cool if done right. I'll keep my eye on it.

Am I the only one that absolutely hated The Walking Dead comic book? I read around 10 or 15 issues and I just hated every single thing about it.
Keep reading. Vol 2 ends on a big shift for the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slan69 said:
For those of you that like the music that was playing during the trailer for Dead Island I uploaded it on youtube.

You should replace the still picture with footage from Lost's ending.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
You should replace the still picture with footage from Lost's ending.

Works even better the other way around:

http://tubedubber.com/#lZqrG1bdGtg:2Hre5fkdq-0:0:100:0:0:true

Syncs perfectly from start to finish actually, and they even do the Lost eye intro. Dead Island: Lost + zombies? :carcus:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Syncs perfectly from start to finish actually, and they even do the Lost eye intro. Dead Island: Lost + zombies? :carcus:

Hollywood...
http://movies.ign.com/articles/115/1151065p1.html

So, to be clear... They are making a movie based on a video game trailer that hasn't even come out yet, plus I'm sure it wont have anything to do WITH the video game in itself. I think we've reached the ultimate pointless adaptation.

Griffith

Shouldn't this be in the movies to dread thread? =)

http://movies.ign.com/articles/115/1151065p1.html said:
Dead Island Movie in Development
Producers seek writer for Memento-style film adaptation of game.

Just days after its trailer became a viral sensation comes word that the upcoming video game Dead Island is going to get the Hollywood treatment.

Viral indeed, I should have mentioned the real life cultural zombie apocalypse moves almost as fast as the real fake thing. Perhaps some survivor will discover my final logs in the abandoned SK.net server station? If only they'd listened to me before it was too late!

BTW, my favorite part of that article is the sub-headline, you can just imagine the pitch meetings:

Producers seek writer for Memento-style film adaptation of game.
We need a Memento-style film adaptation of a video game trailer: summon the writers! :troll:

Followed by this tidbit...

And according to Deadline, "Studios and agencies are all over them, suggesting talent packages and story lines to try and make a screen deal. That will likely happen in the next week or so. The film will will follow a Memento-like storyline, even though the video game does not."

:ganishka:

Anyway, that trailer was more effective than they ever hoped, stumbling into the perfect storm of in vogue style and gimmickry, though "stumble" isn't really fair since it was very deliberately put together that way. Question: are they actually going to have anyone that worked on it work on this proposed movie adaptation? That would only make sense, which is why my guess is, "No."

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Shouldn't this be in the movies to dread thread? =)
Meh, somehow it made more sense for me to post it here. Just to continue with the whole "momentum" if you will. Besides, I'm still not considering this as a movie until I actually see a script or hints of o.... Nooo nvm, I don't think I'd bothered with that either :griffnotevil:

Man, there are so many jokes to be made about this. Can't wait to see the trailer of the adaptation, let's hope it's faithful to the original, etc

Oburi

All praise Grail
I feel I must post here after hearing about some recent news. Soul Calibur 5 was announced which is good news for me since I've always had the most fun playing them, especially SC4 (I must put well over 100 hours into that, for a fighting game that's pretty nuts for me). I also had forgotten about the new Alice- Madness returns game that comes out in a few weeks. I'm semi interested in playing it and my g/f goes apeshit for anything Alice so its become a must buy for me. I think there were a few more that I can't remember, other than the many obvious ones (Duke Nukem right around the corner!)

Oburi said:
I also had forgotten about the new Alice- Madness returns game that comes out in a few weeks. I'm semi interested in playing it and my g/f goes apeshit for anything Alice so its become a must buy for me.

Think I've said it before, but I'm not much of a gamer, partially because I'm überpicky about most things related to it. I've got little or no interest in most genres, and in the whole era of PS3 there's only been 2-3 titles that have made me consider buying a console. This new Alice game is certainly the most engrossing thing I've seen yet - I've been following updates and watched all trailers and gameplay videos that's been released so far and it looks absolutely sick. I played American McGee's Alice ten years ago, but even though the story was interesting I didn't think it fulfilled its potential (I was most interested in the Chris Vrenna soundtrack anyways). This looks like it's able to pull it through both visually as well as narratively. Hopefully it will also erase my memories of that Tim Burton fiasco from last year. It might not make me buy a PS3 this time either, but I'm glad there are still games that can engage me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed that Shadows of the Damned is coming out tomorrow in the US (and in 3 days in the EU). Watched a recent trailer (chock full of spoilers of course :schierke:) and it got me really excited about it. Let's hope it delivers as much as it looks like it will (since I preordered it :iva:).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Just noticed that Shadows of the Damned is coming out tomorrow in the US (and in 3 days in the EU). Watched a recent trailer (chock full of spoilers of course :schierke:) and it got me really excited about it. Let's hope it delivers as much as it looks like it will (since I preordered it :iva:).

Wow seriously? Damn I can't believe it's tomorrow. I'm getting this for sure. Looks awesome.

Aphasia

Are you talking about the release trailer with that guy that has the 9 eyes? Yeah, the game looks badass. I heard there's a gun called the boner.

Also really looking forward to Neverdead. I love when games don't take themselves too seriously.

Oburi

All praise Grail
So here we are in August and I think thus far it's been a pretty good year for games. If I had to pick my top three favorite games based on sheer enjoyment I'd have to go with Dead Space 2, Mortal Kombat and Portal 2. I think those three in particular were just a touch above the other 2011 games I've played in terms of making me feel completely satisfied after finishing them, like a good meal. However, there were other surprisingly enjoyable ones like Alice:Madness Returns and Shadows Of The Damned, and too a lesser extent Dynasty Warriors 7.

Now the remainder of the year is where it's going to get a little hectic (and expensive). The big game this month is without a doubt Deus Ex:Human Revolution, released on the 23rd. It's a must buy for me. Next month has a few interesting titles, Dead Island, Gears of War 3 etc, but Arkham City was pushed back to October which is kind of annoying since Dark Souls and Silent Hill:Downpour are also coming out in October. Then come November I'm pretty much going to be a shut-in. Skyrim, Rayman Origins, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Halo Anniversary. Whew!

What games do you guys think will be hits during the coming months? And what is everyone planning on playing before the years end?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I guess I've been pretty "casual" so to speak. This will change with Deus Ex and Skyrim I hope, it's been too long since a single player game has really drawn me into it. I'm hoping Skyrim is able to do this without that "why the fuck did I spend 90 hours on this game?" feeling that Oblivion, Fallout 3, and them crazy generic Korean MMOs give me.
Edit: whoops somehow thought this was the "what are you playing" thread, trimmed my post.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
What games do you guys think will be hits during the coming months? And what is everyone planning on playing before the years end?
Deus Ex: HR, Rage, Mario 3DS, and Battlefield 3 for me.

As for what will be hits? Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3. Easy money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
I hope Battlefield 3 destroys MW3 in sales.
I'm not personally invested in the struggle between these two. They'll both make tons of cash. That's inevitable.

But I think the market in FPS market in general is stagnating and needs some new blood. Let's get over this whole military shooter phenomenon, already... Counter-Strike was a loooong time ago.

Aphasia

Walter said:
But I think the market in FPS market in general is stagnating and needs some new blood. Let's get over this whole military shooter phenomenon, already... Counter-Strike was a loooong time ago.

You need...Halo 4! :troll:

I just realized how many awesome games are releasing before the year is out. I'm interested in Deus Ex, Rage, Metalgear/ZOE HD, Halo Anniversary, Arkham City, Dark Souls and Skyrim. At this point I'm just trying to decide between a few to keep me occupied until Skyrim. Likely Deus Ex/Dark Souls. Not forgetting any am I?

darkelf.jpg

Griffith

Walter said:
I'm not personally invested in the struggle between these two. They'll both make tons of cash. That's inevitable.

I'm with you, but I don't think these faux military simulators are going anywhere, they're like the red state rock of games. The ultimate safe zone for nerds and jocks to come together other than Madden, only totally lame at this point. Our best bet is that they completely over-saturate the market like Guitar Hero/Rock Band and the genre implodes.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aphasia said:
You need...Halo 4! :troll:

At this point I'm just trying to decide between a few to keep me occupied until Skyrim. Likely Deus Ex/Dark Souls. Not forgetting any am I?

Well besides those two like I said earlier Arkham City is going to be a smash. And it's suppose to be long, especially if your one to search out all collectables and hidden items. But you know you're right, everything at this point is just killing time until Skyrim. The game casts such a shadow over everything else it's crazy, for me at least.

Dar Klink said:
I guess I've been pretty "casual" so to speak.
As long as your most anticipated games to come aren't Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3 and Saints Row the Third I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. :guts:

Top Bottom