Games to look forward to!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Without being masterpieces of storytelling, the stories are usually pretty good. I never quite understood the people who just "played" these games by using cheat codes and shooting cars with rocket launchers.
I always attempt to finish GTA games, but I never have. I think I got the furthest in GTA3, nearly beating it but coming across a tough mission with a low chance of survival. The roadblock for me is usually some difficult mission that takes a long time to initiate and then has a very large margin for error. GTA4 has one like this very early on. The mission starts and you have to cross over the fucking bridge to get to a guy, who then takes off. You can lose him easily,and then you have to start the whole thing over again, including the 5+ minutes it takes to drive to the guy again.

So I get frustrated, and end up spending the rest of my time fucking around in the game. This happens with every Rockstar game.

But in GTA4's case it certainly didn't help that I was playing the PC port, which is poorly optimized.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I've been looking around the net and people are speculating (or claim to know) that GTA 5 will be in San Andreas. people are saying that Las Venturas (Las Vegas) is the reason for the V (5) being decorated as a money.

Personally, that really gets me hyped up for Nov. 2!

my first GTA game was GTA 3 and I played it for a year before I got around to beating it. and the only other one that I was excited to beat from the beginning was GTA: SA. mainly because it was centered around California (and Vegas). Also my friends and I were really into the Gangster scene back then. Funny that back then gangs were all over the place in my city and now the gangs have almost disappeared. Times sure have changed.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
My favorite series ever is Thief....and I'm dying to know what Thief 4 will be like. I've never felt as immersed in any video game - ever. After finishing a level, it feels like I've physically been through the whole thing. Thief : the Dark Project (1st game) being my all-time favorite (its a creepy steam-punk dark fantasy). I finished this game more than 20 times....and I'm about to go through it again right now ;)

Truder

Indeed. I'm very happy right now! :guts:

Im currently on IGN.com right now. They're doing a bunch of analysis stuff on the new trailer and speculation galore.

Truder

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Review from IGN. for those of you that are interested. :guts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vRd5hd2BlC0

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Review from IGN. for those of you that are interested. :guts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vRd5hd2BlC0

I'd preordered the collector's edition a little while ago, so I'm happy to see it deserves my money. :void:

Oburi

All praise Grail
New List for 2012

1- SoulCalibur V - Jan 31
2- Mass Effect 3 -Mar 06
3- Ninja Gaiden 3 - Mar 20
4- Silent Hill: Downpour - Mar 30
5- Aliens: Colonial Marines - Jun 30
6- Tomb Raider - Sep 30
7- Halo 4 - Dec 30
8- Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron - N/A
9- Bioshock: Infinite - N/A
10- Hitman: Absolution - N/A

There are several other games I may want to check out as well such as Max Pain 3, Asura's Wrath, Devil May Cry 5, Syndicate, The South Park rpg and Borderlands 2. Overall 2012 is looking great. I just hope I have the time :judo:

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Well right now I'm enjoying some Skyrim, amazing game, I made my character to resemble Griffith :griffnotevil: Also play a little of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, its alright, but Street Fighter will always be my fighter of choice.

It already came out, but during the holidays, I will definitely try to get Batman Arkham City, or Skyward Sword, both look great.

Hmm out of the games not released yet though...I'm interested for Street Fighter X Tekken and Asura's Wrath. I'm willing to give Final Fantasy 13-2 a chance, but...I'm not impressed enough so far to really care beyond a simple "Looks okay" and it's funny since I'm someone who actually LIKED Final Fantasy 13.

What's wrong with it? Well, Raiden picks up a MG Ray and throws it in the air. Kojima went on record saying he wants this title to be ridiculous, mindless fun. It was never what the MGS was about. Yes, the series was far fetched but the tone was never this far fetched. MGS gameplay, since it's original incarnation, was about stealth. This game is a clear departure what what made it's predecessors the classic they are. What makes me bummed, is that this is a conscious choice. This game is Bayonetta meets MG universe. Maybe it'll be a hit. I don't know. The companies want to make money. I get it. It's just sad to see a good series go off in this direction.

Raiden (whether or not you cared for him) was never a happy go lucky type of character. He hated his past and by the end of MGS4 was really done with being what he had become, his focus apparently shifting to his family at the end. Unless they really craft a story with some meaning, and not follow Kojima's mindless aspirations, I hold out little hope that real MGS fans will enjoy it.

Yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cYTFztqo

No:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU

Kojima is pulling a George Lucas with this nonsense.

EDIT: I thought this originally took place pre-MGS4. But now I heard it's post-MGS4. Anyone know for sure? If it's pre, I could MAYBE rethink a few things. If it's post....IT'S A SHAM!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2: "We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can't say more than this."
— Hideo Kojima on Twitter

SSSSHHHAAAMMM

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I don't think it's a "sham". I think it will be fun. If anything, just consider it like one of the MGS: Substance/Subsistence games and take it with a grain of salt. It'll be nice not having to follow the already confusing as hell storyline (MGS 4 made my mind full of fuck).

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Proj2501 said:
EDIT: I thought this originally took place pre-MGS4. But now I heard it's post-MGS4. Anyone know for sure? If it's pre, I could MAYBE rethink a few things. If it's post....IT'S A SHAM!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2: "We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can't say more than this."

SSSSHHHAAAMMM

Yeah I think at first it was gonna tell the tale of what Raiden had done to get Sunny... I think, it's been a while. I've never been that cofident that Kojima knows what he wants to do with the story so at I don't really care. In fact I'm more willing to entertain the idea of Raiden throwing Metal Gear's than another convoluted story. Though two of my favorite games of all time are Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta so that's why I'm marginaly excited, though personally I'd prefer if there was a Bayonetta sequel.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
What's wrong with it? Well, Raiden picks up a MG Ray and throws it in the air. Kojima went on record saying he wants this title to be ridiculous, mindless fun. It was never what the MGS was about. Yes, the series was far fetched but the tone was never this far fetched. MGS gameplay, since it's original incarnation, was about stealth. This game is a clear departure what what made it's predecessors the classic they are. What makes me bummed, is that this is a conscious choice. This game is Bayonetta meets MG universe. Maybe it'll be a hit. I don't know. The companies want to make money. I get it. It's just sad to see a good series go off in this direction.

Raiden (whether or not you cared for him) was never a happy go lucky type of character. He hated his past and by the end of MGS4 was really done with being what he had become, his focus apparently shifting to his family at the end. Unless they really craft a story with some meaning, and not follow Kojima's mindless aspirations, I hold out little hope that real MGS fans will enjoy it.

Yes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cYTFztqo

No:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU

SSSSHHHAAAMMM
It's not an MGS game. It's a Metal Gear game. There's a distinction there, and clearly the distinction has meaning in the shift in tone.

I'm not a fan of it either, but nor did I really expect Kojima to be satisfied making roughly the same game over and over for decades.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
It's not an MGS game. It's a Metal Gear game. There's a distinction there, and clearly the distinction has meaning in the shift in tone.

I'm not a fan of it either, but nor did I really expect Kojima to be satisfied making roughly the same game over and over for decades.

I guess you could say it's like the Madden of stealth games.

I never really thought of Metal Gear as a real stealth game such as Splinter Cell 1 or the Thief series. It's a great franchise, just not a great stealth franchise.

I recently finished MGS1 again, and after this and MGS4 I have to say that for me, it's not the stealthy parts that make those games great.
IT's the boss battles, the cinematography and the story that stand out for me.
So if Platinum Games want to make a Metal Gear Bayonetta, I'm all for it.
Besides, I don't think they just do this for the money. MGS is an established series, if they wanted to make money, they'd just do MGS4.5 and be done with it. Turning this new Game into a mindless fun slasher is actually pretty risky.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea to be really honest, I don't mind all that much. It's a bold move but I'm not exactly against it. Granted i haven't been a big MGS fan for many years (I only watched a friend play MGS4) so I can see how people might not like it, but personally it kinda looks like fun. I don't think the trailer was really that amazing mainly because we've seen these types of games before but I'll admit, after sitting through the spike video game award show which was a borefest, that trailer had some energy to it.

Basically I'd play it with an open mind.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:

Kojima never was anything but a "George Lucas". What's your problem with this game exactly? That its premise, story-telling, action and characters are preposterous? Because if so, I don't see how it's any different from the previous entries in the series...

Top Bottom