Games to look forward to!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Gaahl said:
I recently finished MGS1 again, and after this and MGS4 I have to say that for me, it's not the stealthy parts that make those games great.
IT's the boss battles, the cinematography and the story that stand out for me.
So if Platinum Games want to make a Metal Gear Bayonetta, I'm all for it.

Shinola, meet shit!

Gaahl said:
Besides, I don't think they just do this for the money. MGS is an established series, if they wanted to make money, they'd just do MGS4.5 and be done with it. Turning this new Game into a mindless fun slasher is actually pretty risky.

I wouldn't call turning the franchise into an action game for the lowest common denominator of gametard whose favorite movie is Sucker Punch a risky move, especially coming from the same guy that alienated everybody by making the sequel to his A-list selling franchise game a post-modern video game critiquing the medium and his audience (people forget, as big as MGS is, it might have been/become even bigger before MGS2 turned off a lot of casual MGS1 fans forever). Everything they've done with Raiden since still feels like an apology for that, or an elaborate joke/fuck you.

Aazealh said:
Kojima never was anything but a "George Lucas". What's your problem with this game exactly? That its premise, story-telling, action and characters are preposterous? Because if so, I don't see how it's any different from the previous entries in the series...

There's levels of preposterous though, and good preposterous and bad preposterous; anything can be done well. I'd say the better comparison for Kojima is John Carpenter, who was obviously an influence, and made a career out of making good and then bad preposterous films. Rather than comparing all his early good movies to his later shitty ones, for Kojima's comparison let's focus on the perfect example, the Escape movies. Escape from New York is just as preposterous as Escape from L.A. is, but it's much better about it, or L.A. is much shittier, I don't know which but same difference. Anyway, the same goes for Kojima, perhaps MGS3 was all the great preposterous he had left in him, and now we're in the Ghosts of Mars phase of his career. So, while he's always done preposterous stuff, I wouldn't compare games like MGS1 and Snake Eater to MGS4 and whatever he's doing now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So, while he's always done preposterous stuff, I wouldn't compare games like MGS1 and Snake Eater to MGS4 and whatever he's doing now.

Agreed, though to me even his best titles had some embarrassing moments (e.g. Volgin). But yeah, my point is that it's not like the Metal Gear series is all in the vein of MGS1 and 3, and that this spin-off is hardly a betrayal from Kojima, who's about as trustworthy as Captain Hook anyway ("I swear! This is the last game!"). And more generally, looking at Konami's current state, I wouldn't expect much from them on any front.

Incidentally, did you any of you see the images Hideo Kojima has been posting on his Twitter?

http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo/status/147594757726683136/photo/1

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
For Kojima to express to the world that this Metal Gear Revengeance (ridiculous title) wasn't a part of the Solid series immediately after the trailer was released is just priceless though. I became a fan of the Solid series, and was glad he gave it closure to it all. There were some horrible moments in it, but overall I enjoyed them all. I however am not too happy about yet another Metal Gear Solid game. I've always said that it would be nice to re-make Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 in the simplest of stories. No over the top philosophies, no super powers, no bullet time shit... Just a good view of Snakes beginnings and battles with Big Boss would be nice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
I've always said that it would be nice to re-make Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 in the simplest of stories. No over the top philosophies, no super powers, no bullet time shit... Just a good view of Snakes beginnings and battles with Big Boss would be nice.

The problem is that MGS1 already borrows from these two games, and I remember Kojima himself saying that it is basically a remake.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
l_4f24f36fc2577.jpg

A new Ace Attorney game. No date or platform announced yet, but you can color me excited already. :guts:

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.
March 15, 2012

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

RE-FORGED BY OVERHAUL GAMES
Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.
Source -> http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/
I am really looking forward to this, Baldur's gate is one of my favorite games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. Baldur's Gate was great back then, but it's been a long time and it'd have to be significantly overhauled. If it's just going to be a "HD" edition, then color me unexcited. I'd have been more excited in a proper Baldur's Gate 3, but even then, would it have compared with Dragon Age: Origins?

Joe Chip said:
Source -> http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/
I am really looking forward to this, Baldur's gate is one of my favorite games.
For the very same reason, this news scares me. :magni: I hope they won't ruin it, like Hollywood ruins movies.

IcePuck said:
For the very same reason, this news scares me. :magni: I hope they won't ruin it, like Hollywood ruins movies.

But does the video game industry have a history of screwing up remakes or updates? I think of it as releasing an old movie on Blu-Ray for the first time. A 14 year old game is probably not going to run on the latest operating systems.

I'm honestly excited about this, to tell you the truth i was thinking a few days ago that i want to play it through again. Let's see what they will add to the game (or let's hope they will not mess it up :) )

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Think this is a good spot for this! My friend just informed me that she is working for a small indie game company and that they are making a F2P FPS mech game. It reminds me a lot of Armored Core and I like it a lot! Check out the beta game trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

Spread the word if you like it! The game is done by a small team of 6 guys and some interns... scheduled due date is 12/12/12!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Think this is a good spot for this! My friend just informed me that she is working for a small indie game company and that they are making a F2P FPS mech game. It reminds me a lot of Armored Core and I like it a lot! Check out the beta game trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

Spread the word if you like it! The game is done by a small team of 6 guys and some interns... scheduled due date is 12/12/12!
I've been looking forward to Hawken since it was first announced. I've already signed up for the beta =)

Manjou said:
Ni no Kuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsJpRpn4Pg
It's like Tales of/Dark Chronicle/Ghibli film/game it's looking really good

And here's the trailer for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j0f8IJpXOFI

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Castlevania: Mirror of Fate on the Nintendo 3DS! :mozgus:

- Nearly a 1.5 year development cycle.
- Stars two different playable characters.
- Features co-operative play with the prospect of 3DS and Wii U being able to interact with each other.
- The game is indeed a 2D Castlevania experience.
- Like mentioned in the rumor PGN received back in 2010, the goal was to find creative ways to utilize the 3DS’ cameras and this has been achieved in part due to the very name of the game, “Mirror of Fate”.
- The forward facing camera will act as a mirror and the outward facing cameras will come into play for a new puzzle solving mechanic.
- A Wii U version of the same game was in contention when I reported the “shocker” announcement in 2011, but has since become Konami’s decision to give the system one Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 (not exclusively, however, as other platforms will too see a release, including Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita).
- More interestingly perhaps, was the idea that Mirror of Fate on Wii U would be the same game as its 3DS brother, treat the U-Control as the 3DS’ bottom screen and your TV as the 3DS’ top screen, be able to play the game across both platforms, use the Wii U’s forward facing camera as a mirror to “capture your reflection and reveal your fate”, and so on.
- Instead, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 on Wii U will be a different game which was safer for Konami, since it could 1) be an upgraded port of the Xbox 360/PS3 build and 2) still be able to retain some of its originally intended plans when it was Mirror of Fate, including some 3DS connectivity.
- The development of Wii U’s own ground-up Castlevania sku could still happen, I’m being told.

The guy says to expect it at E3 2012. :ubik:

H

hellrasinbrasin

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6fgHYaEM&feature=g-all-u

Metal Gear Revengeance (Gameplay Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3AQ_MBnEq-k

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6fgHYaEM&feature=g-all-u

Despite my tremendous disappointment with the first Lords of Shadow I can't help but be thrilled by that trailer. Damn those trailer directors who can turn anything into awesomeness! Now despite knowing better I'm hoping the first time was a fluke and that Mirror of Fate and LoS 2 will be amazing beyond belief.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I loved the 1st Lord of Shadows game I look forward to seeing what the follow up has to offer in 2013.

I thought the first Lords of Shadow was alright. It had its ups and downs. Lots of good music in Lords of Shadow. I can say right now that the game probably won't live up to that trailer, just like its predecessor.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Anybody play Pokemans? I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Black And White 2. :griffnotevil:

I grew up playing Pokemon Red and Yellow, went on to Gold, and stopped playing them because I was starting High School and Pokemon was for "kids". Now though, I've been having a blast with pokemon White and am surprised how complicated pokemon can be with EV training and IV training and strategic move sets and Natures, Abilities and etc.. and I'm just having a good time all around and im just hyped up on Pokemon B&W 2 like I was 9 again.

also the main "villain" N (N is his name) is pretty much a Griffith knock off. :schnoz:

I might be the only Pokemon player on this forum though. :ganishka:

Top Bottom