Games to look forward to!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
I thought the first Lords of Shadow was alright. It had its ups and downs. Lots of good music in Lords of Shadow. I can say right now that the game probably won't live up to that trailer, just like its predecessor.

Oh it wasn't terrible or anything, but it felt soulless to me once all was said and done, much like Batman: Arkham Asylum did. It's hard to explain. And it borrowed from other games (God of War, Shadow of the Colossus) without bringing much to the table. Aside from that, I was of course pretty disappointed with how little it felt like a Castlevania game (notably the NPCs, enemy design, environments). You could effortlessly remove the two "Belmont" references from the game and it'd become an unrelated title. Last but not least I found the story pretty bad, which saddened me because the franchise will likely not be rebooted again anytime soon.

Still, I'm trying to stay hopeful about the two new games.

Truder said:
Anybody play Pokemans? I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Black And White 2. :griffnotevil:

I grew up playing Pokemon Red and Yellow, went on to Gold, and stopped playing them because I was starting High School and Pokemon was for "kids". Now though, I've been having a blast with pokemon White and am surprised how complicated pokemon can be with EV training and IV training and strategic move sets and Natures, Abilities and etc.. and I'm just having a good time all around and im just hyped up on Pokemon B&W 2 like I was 9 again.

also the main "villain" N (N is his name) is pretty much a Griffith knock off. :schnoz:

I might be the only Pokemon player on this forum though. :ganishka:

I had Pokemon Blue back in the day (I was already an adult, people's perception of what's for whom never stopped me :azan:), but haven't picked another one since (the series didn't seem to renew itself). It was nice enough though, albeit a tad simple/repetitive. I've been meaning to give the series another shot, so I guess I'll get the next big 3DS title. Or maybe Black/White, I remember it getting great reviews. Not sure why I didn't get it when it came out.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I also started with Blue, eventually ending up with copies of Red, Yellow, and Gold. But by the end of the latter the charm I felt with Blue was wearing off and I started feeling suffocated by all the Pokemon that was being shoved down my throat at every angle. I also played the card game and watched the tv show. Once the magic wore off I never touched the series again, though I do still have very fond memories of my early experiences with Blue. More of a feeling than any massive praise over the gameplay itself, which didn't really matter as much to me in the 5th grade.

Truder said:
Anybody play Pokemans? I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Black And White 2. :griffnotevil:

I grew up playing Pokemon Red and Yellow, went on to Gold, and stopped playing them because I was starting High School and Pokemon was for "kids". Now though, I've been having a blast with pokemon White and am surprised how complicated pokemon can be with EV training and IV training and strategic move sets and Natures, Abilities and etc.. and I'm just having a good time all around and im just hyped up on Pokemon B&W 2 like I was 9 again.

also the main "villain" N (N is his name) is pretty much a Griffith knock off. :schnoz:

I might be the only Pokemon player on this forum though. :ganishka:

Wow, they're already coming out with Black and White 2? It seems like just yesterday the first two were about to come out.

I played Pokémon Blue and Red, and Yellow when it came out later, back in the day when they first came out. And every now and then I get the itch to play them, spending a week or two making super powered Pokémon before I get bored again. But I stopped following the series after Generation I.

A couple of my friends are still into Pokémon though. That's how I found out about Generation V when they started revealing it. I was actually really excited about those two games because they were going to be set in an urban environment. As info on the games slowly trickled out it appeared they were going to be set entirely or mostly in Castelia City. I loved that idea because I really dig the city/urban scene and having all the games set out in the sticks dominated by small towns and villages didn’t really appeal to me. But when the game was finally released it looked like only a fraction of the games took place in big cities like Castelia City or Nimbasa City so I kind of lost interest in it.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate 3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QJW8UQztwto

Trevor & Simon Belmont Return

Holy Crap, what a great vid. If you don't mind my asking Aaz, how much are you backing? I think that is probably my favorite kickstarter vid yet, lots of honesty and transparency about a subject that can be very hard to explain.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Holy Crap, what a great vid. If you don't mind my asking Aaz, how much are you backing? I think that is probably my favorite kickstarter vid yet, lots of honesty and transparency about a subject that can be very hard to explain.

Only $25 unfortunately, as I don't have that much cash to spare at the moment.

I'm kinda excited for Metro: Last Light. I really loved Metro 2033 just for the setting and the 'feel' of the game. To bad it was a bit bugged when it launched.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Stone Quarry Simulator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmeva-pfOAQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNFrPtbKGc

This game looks even better (and I needed more than 30 seconds of that =). Be sure to watch to the end. :slan:

Excalibur Publishing, everybody!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

This game looks even better (and I needed more than 30 seconds of that =). Be sure to watch to the end. :slan:

:ganishka: That's awesome, but all of these dubstep Simulator are derivatives of this, the master: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY

Griffith said:

Wow what a great promo!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4r9Fq3beU&feature=player_embedded#!

This is a game made by a team from Digipen, which is a sort of school for game designers. The team that eventually created Portal were hired straight from the school by Gabe Newell of Valve after seeing a presentation of one of their games.

Anyway, this looks pretty neat. It's a proof of concept video obviously, not a fully fleshed out game. But I like what I see.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4r9Fq3beU&feature=player_embedded#!

This is a game made by a team from Digipen, which is a sort of school for game designers. The team that eventually created Portal were hired straight from the school by Gabe Newell of Valve after seeing a presentation of one of their games.

Anyway, this looks pretty neat. It's a proof of concept video obviously, not a fully fleshed out game. But I like what I see.

It looks like Echochrome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLJiv9Aeo2c

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Also reminds me of Crush 3D for 3DS, of which you can download a demo. Anyway, very cool use of switching 2D/3D perspective, or using both at once.

Hey there! I've been lurking about this forum for something like 2-3 years, I'm really excited I finally registered and will get to talk to you guys.

There have been some new announcements regarding Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Apart from including the original game's development members, it will also feature new music composed by none other than Sam Hulick (http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/05/10/sam-hulick-scores-music-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/). Though I'm guessing it will probably be only 1-2 tracks, it will add nicely to BG's already magnificent soundtrack.

Apart from that, it will also feature several new quests, new character(s), and there's also rumors that some old voice actors will make a return (like the guy who voiced Minsc!). Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced is going to follow after a short while. From what the lead developer has announced, the Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" towards developing Baldur's Gate 3. For those interested, a full list of the new features is being compiled here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107296-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.html

I don't know if I'm being the stereotypical moron who's blinded by nostalgia, but BG1 and BG2 are the best RPG's I've ever played, even with new titles considered. I'm really hoping these new editions will live up to the hype.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have fond memories of the Baldur's Gate and BG2, but I wouldn't call them the best RPGs I've played. Especially since they greatly suffered from D&D's limitations (having to rest to regain the use of your spells comes to mind). Still, I'm curious to see what the result will be like...

That is true. I remember reading in a (very) old thread that Walter was always dying in the starter dungeon of BG2, all because of minor misplacements in his character's attributes. Which was pretty much what my first character suffered from too :serpico: However, it was the same meticulous system that made the more high-end battles brilliant mind exercises instead of simple hack n' slash. And yes, sometimes a little too frustrating!

Makes me wonder what plans do they have for BG3. Years ago I read that Dragon Age: Origins was actually what Baldur's Gate 3 would have been like if Bioware renewed its license with Wizards of the Coast - which I'm guessing means that it wasn't planned to be so so D&D dependent.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see how it'll turn out as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Surakemastura said:
That is true. I remember reading in a (very) old thread that Walter was always dying in the starter dungeon of BG2, all because of minor misplacements in his character's attributes.
Minor misplacements that of course aren't communicated to the player. That is, until a little bat wipes out your party of five because no one can land a hit. :mozgus:

D&D just isn't for me. Which is a pity because what I've read about the quests and combat in that game are really amazing.

Walter said:
D&D just isn't for me.

:ganishka: True story:

Back in 2009, I played a (normal, not videogame) D&D session with some strangers... friends of friends mostly. We had just cleared a gnoll encampment, when I stumbled upon a cool piece of armor.

"Hold", said a guy named John, who was so into roleplaying that he wouldn't speak a word out of character, and wouldn't respond to any of us if we didn't call him Eldebryn. "I can enchant that for you, Brandis." (Brandis was my character's name)

"Thanks!" I replied. He then proceeded to describe the enchanting ritual in excruciating detail for a couple of minutes, and then suddenly he stopped talking.
We waited for a while in awkward silence; then I asked "Is it over?"

He gave me a look like I had insulted him in the most horrific way, and said naturally "Um... This ritual lasts for an hour". We all looked at him. "So?"
"So", he said, "we have to wait a full hour". Long story short, I haven't played D&D in 3 years now. :guts:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the off-topic tangent, I just wanted to say that I understand first-hand why so many people are repulsed by the strange D&D rules and its absurd community. Maybe sometime in the future you'll give it a chance, maybe Aazealh can tell you the basics about the game, it'll be a shame if you completely miss out on the Baldur's Gate experience. :serpico: Ok, I'll stop babbling about BG and D&D now.

Top Bottom