Games to look forward to!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, did anyone think Bethesda WASN'T working on Fallout 4? Oh, it's a Kotaku headline, of course! :ganishka:

I know for many, it was the game of the year in 2008, but I found Fallout 3 excruciatingly boring. It has to do with the repetitive areas, shallow combat and poor inventory management (among the worst I've ever experienced).

If they can fix these things, great.

I for one loved Fallout 3, but IGN confirmed this report as well. I disagree that the combat was shallow. If you didn't like Fallout 3's management system did you like New Vegas, Oblivion, or Skyrims inventory system either? Also, V.A.T.S. is one of the greatest aspects of the Fallout series in my opinion and V.A.T.S. is what sets it apart from Borderlands or any other post apocalyptic game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I disagree that the combat was shallow.
Well, for me since the most efficient way to kill nearly every enemy was by shooting them the head, this led to some seriously boring combat. It went something like this: PAUSE > HEAD, HEAD, HEAD, HEAD. VATS DEPLETED > Run backwards for 5 seconds. > PAUSE > HEAD, HEAD, HEAD. > DEAD.

And the system didn't evolve after the first hour of the game, so a sense of progression was limited to your weapons. Which was boring too, since the weapons you got early in the game were suitable throughout. I'm pretty sure I used the same pistol and Chinese Assault Rifle throughout the game, using scrap to repair them (and boy wasn't that fun too?). Plasma weapons, while potentially neat, were no more efficient than bullets given their limited ammo supply.

If you didn't like Fallout 3's management system did you like New Vegas, Oblivion, or Skyrims inventory system either?
Did anyone? It's fucking abysmal in all of the games built around Gamebryo, as are many things about that engine. Skyrim's item management was a slight improvement, but still terrible for a game where item collection is such a vital piece.

Also, V.A.T.S. is one of the greatest aspects of the Fallout series in my opinion
I have no problem with the idea of VATS—just its implementation in Fallout 3.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
Also, V.A.T.S. is one of the greatest aspects of the Fallout series in my opinion and V.A.T.S. is what sets it apart from Borderlands or any other post apocalyptic game.

Gross, dude.

*puts on old man hat and slippers*

Fallout 1 and 2 are what set Fallout apart from any other post apocalyptic games, including Fallout 3, which was more like a regression to the mean. Saying VATS is what sets Fallout apart is like saying the gore factor is what sets Berserk apart (or the girls in YA since VATS is specifically an F3 thing only superficially related to the original games). Still, I enjoyed Fallout 3 as basically a more cinematic, style over substance, remake of the original concept. I always wanted a first person version of Fallout so it was a dream come true in that sense. Alas, the character building and free choice aspects that really made the first two great didn't make the translation and it is quite shallow in comparison. I regret that I couldn't get into New Vegas since it addresses some of those issues and is the more legitimate successor to Fallout 2 (I pretty much lived in Fallout 2 for like a solid year, literally setup base in Vault 13 with all my NPCs =), but NV could only do so much within the constraints of that engine and it just wasn't the same (neither am I, frankly).

Walter said:
All the options afforded in VATS were worthless given that for almost every enemy, shooting them in the head was the most efficient way to kill them. This led to a series of battles where it went something like this: PAUSE > HEAD, HEAD, HEAD, HEAD. VATS DEPLETED > Run backwards for 5 seconds. > PAUSE > HEAD, HEAD, HEAD. > DEAD.

Fallout is about character builds and choices. Its what you make of it. You can indeed go running in, blasting everything in the head if you so choose. Which is the way I prefer myself, I'm sorry but I find it very satisfying somehow. I don't get the same satisfaction of blasting someone in the head as I do when do the same in Halo, Metal Gear, Borderlands, GTA, or Dead Rising. (Well, I do get the same sanctification in Resident Evil 4) There is just something about hitting that "sniper" shot in V.A.T.S. mode from a mile away that is a absolute blast to me. However, I still say the game has great charm and lore.

The system itself didn't evolve beyond the first hour of the game, so a sense of progression was limited to your weapons. Which was boring too, since the weapons you got early in the game were suitable throughout. I'm pretty sure I used the same pistol and Chinese Assault Rifle throughout the game, using scrap to repair them (and boy wasn't that fun too?). Plasma weapons, while potentially neat, were no more efficient than bullets given their limited ammo supply.
Did anyone? It's fucking abysmal. Skyrim's was a slight improvement, but still terrible for a game where item collection is so important.
Fallout 1-2's implementation was far more interesting.

I find the game drives on exploration and scavenging. So yes, I do think its fun to raid every locker for every dollar they have and find abundant amounts of ammo. It made the exploration worth it. Plus, who the hell uses the Chinese Assault Rifle through the whole game anyways? Seriously? Not saying it can't be done, but yeah... your going to have a mediocre time doing that. (Combat Shotgun is the way to go.) Walt, I'm just sorry you didn't like the game. I have a absolute blast every time I put it in. For me it has a lot of replay value as well as the other Bethesda games. Not the greatest games out there, but I indeed get lost in them. I set aside whole months gutting those games. Its nice to be able to put that much time in a game that's not a turn based JRPG.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
Fallout is about character builds and choices.

That's what killed it for me. I got tired of the fake "choices" that all too often funneled you to the same end no matter what you actually said/did, e.g. the ending.

Griffith said:
That's what killed it for me. I got tired of the fake "choices" that all too often funneled you to the same end no matter what you actually said/did, e.g. the ending.

I agree. Many times, I find the central stories of the DLC better than the games themselves and most always the choices in the game have no effect on the new stories added. I know Mass Effect does a better job on its choice system. Hopefully the team focuses heavily on improving it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Plus, who the hell uses the Chinese Assault Rifle through the whole game anyways? Seriously?
People who like using guns with plentiful ammo? It's the path of least resistance. The game basically nudges you the entire journey to use this by sprinkling clips everywhere. Sure I had more powerful, interesting weapons, but rarely enough ammo to use them on more than a few encounters without having to make an express trip to the ammo store. And at the end of the day, it got the job done most of the time in 1-3 bullets. So why wouldn't I use it? Same dilemma for the plasma cutter in Dead Space.

Speaking of Fallout: 1, 2 and Tactics are free on Gog.com right now: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/12/no-caps-fallout-1-2-and-tactics-free-at-gog/#more-179854

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I really like these videos about the Fallout series, one about how how much better the immersion in NV is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0
and one about choice and consequences in games overall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJaGSV75y0

I too got really bored of Fallout 3. It was basically Oblivion with guns and some really boring fake choices sprinkled throughout. It felt like they paid more for Liam Neeson than they did for anything else in the game. Exploring was sometimes fun, but generally unrewarding as hell. I feel like Bethesda's games these day are all about the illusion of exploration. They have a lot to do and are really really time consuming, but overall are very shallow and disappointing. It always feels weird to say how little fun I had in games like FO3 and Skyrim after I spent 30-100 hours in them, but they're just the types of games that you can get into for that long and still feel disappointed afterwards.

I didn't get into NV at all because of how FO3 was so boring to me, but I want to give it a try due to the issues I've heard were fixed in it. Even then, the engine holds the game back more than anything else. Speaking of which, I saw that FO 1, 2, and Tactics were free on GoG, but I already have them on steam. Go grab them if they're still up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF85LNxj1-U

Every other Alien game adaptation sucks, but hey maybe this one won't!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I was fine until ACM.

Now I'm not going anywhere near them.
Wasn't that 2010 AvP game garbage too...? Anyway, this one isn't from the same team that made Colonial Marines, which was in development hell for years and was just shat out by Gearbox.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Wasn't that 2010 AvP game garbage too...? Anyway, this one isn't from the same team that made Colonial Marines, which was in development hell for years and was just shat out by Gearbox.

I actually didn't mind AvP. It was sort of...fun, I guess? I don't remember it all too well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Essentially, the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics. Besides that, I'm a big Matsuno fan, so this is already an instant purchase for me. Backed at $20, might upgrade to $50 later on, if Sakimoto signs on.

It's been just over a day and it's already ~1/3 backed. That Sakimoto stretch goal is on track for success. :daiba:

Sadly (for me), the 3DS stretch goal is what I'm really after. I'm also kinda worried about that company, Playdek, not having the chops to pull it off, but I want to stay hopeful.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Sadly (for me), the 3DS stretch goal is what I'm really after.
I didn't even see that. I rarely look at stretch goals..

I'm also kinda worried about that company, Playdek, not having the chops to pull it off, but I want to stay hopeful.
Same, but honestly? I'd buy it even if it was poorly designed if it has Matsuno's ideas in it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Same, but honestly? I'd buy it even if it was poorly designed if it has Matsuno's ideas in it.

I pledged my money before I even read anything on the Kickstarter page...

ReRoll ''the ultimate open world'', an (too ?) ambitious Survival Action-RPG developed by PIXYUL

Using civilian drones and scanning the Earth one square-kilometer chunk at a time, the game's creators aim to "reproduce accurately, at scale, the whole planet and its different ecosystems, environments, countries and cities using small civilian drones." The planet Earth, they believe, is the ideal place for players to fight, survive and live in a virtual existence.

Announcement trailer

Deci

J-Star Victory Versus, a 3D fighter with 52 characters from Shonen Jump's most popular anime/manga's, including DBZ, Naruto, Fist of North Star, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, and more and more and more. 32 stages.

Honestly there's some nostalgia here for me in a few of the titles, can't bear to even give a lot of them a chance, but regardless the game looks like a lot of fun, even if Goku/Vegeta/Freeza would just kill them all instantly (well maybe not Goku since he prefers a fair fight...)

http://kotaku.com/goku-luffy-kenshin-naruto-and-48-more-characters-fac-1550797861

http://youtu.be/9RkDQ0N98Jg

edit: Watching the trailer it's pretty funny seeing the DBZ clones right next to the "real thing" like this too. :serpico:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Deci said:
J-Star Victory Versus, a 3D fighter with 52 characters from Shonen Jump's most popular anime/manga's, including DBZ, Naruto, Fist of North Star, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, and more and more and more. 32 stages.

Honestly there's some nostalgia here for me in a few of the titles, can't bear to even give a lot of them a chance, but regardless the game looks like a lot of fun, even if Goku/Vegeta/Freeza would just kill them all instantly (well maybe not Goku since he prefers a fair fight...)

http://kotaku.com/goku-luffy-kenshin-naruto-and-48-more-characters-fac-1550797861

http://youtu.be/9RkDQ0N98Jg

edit: Watching the trailer it's pretty funny seeing the DBZ clones right next to the "real thing" like this too. :serpico:

I'd love to give that game a try. While I'm not a huge fan of Bleach, Naruto, Toriko, or a few other series I can't wait to play as HxH, YYH, JoJo, Gintama, HnK, and Kenshin characters, as well as learn about some of the characters in series I haven't read yet. I'm hoping the gameplay ends up being fun and fast paced.

Top Bottom