Games to look forward to!

bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
The Witcher 2 never did it for me. Finished the first act 2 times and lost interest. I hope the combat is changed enough, as well as the demand to make certain potions.
I've never actually played the Wither games, but a good buddy of mine is a big fan. He keeps telling me about a mod for the Witcher 2. It changes the whole combat system around and makes it quite good. The company that makes Witcher ended up hiring the guy that made the mod. Have you tried it ??

Walter said:
I played through about 3/4 of Witcher 1 (based on a story summary I read after giving up) and about 6 hours of Witcher 2. The tone of everything just feels "off" to me. I like Geralt, but find the world boring. I like the graphics but find combat and inventory/potion management a chore. Everything is just unbalanced, to me.

It's definitely a chore. The inventory and quest set up becomes quite tedious. The second changed enough to make me struggle to play. I think a lot of my opinion was around mods because that was the first game I played when I built my pc in 2012. Soundtrack was amazing to my tastes as well.

Joe Chip said:
I've never actually played the Wither games, but a good buddy of mine is a big fan. He keeps telling me about a mod for the Witcher 2. It changes the whole combat system around and makes it quite good. The company that makes Witcher ended up hiring the guy that made the mod. Have you tried it ??

Never tried it. The entire layout changed. Might make it enjoyable though. I didn't mention after I stopped playing my save game corrupted and I have no intention on playing to act 2 a third time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
I could run that on ultra, but ps4 is calling. I'm that guy.

Monstrous! :magni: I have a fairly new system (2012-era parts) and I could barely run Witcher 2 on high. Of course, that game is notorious for being poorly optimized.

Walter said:
Monstrous! :magni: I have a fairly new system (2012-era parts) and I could barely run Witcher 2 on high. Of course, that game is notorious for being poorly optimized.

That reason is the best reason. That and I need to get a new version of windows 7. Mine is buggy and I lost my install disc. :mozgus: Don't want to get far into something and kaboom. Think I got a smart virus that has eluded 4 different programs and my cleaning options are exhausted. Time for a wipe. Poor optimization and some games like Skyrim are so vast in options I find myself tinkering more than playing. Thought about throwing on 16 more gb of ram, but its so unnecessary I would feel ashamed.

Johnstantine said:
I can't watch it because I've been waiting for this game since they announced it.

It's just too much for me. I can't. I just can't.

Really ? It's not like we don't already know the universe/arkhamverse. It's more about being immerse and experience the ultimate bat-simulator don't you think ? :carcus:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/mortal-kombat-x-will-punish-you-for-rage-quitting

Oh god this is only going to infuriate the rage quitters even more. :mozgus: I can only imagine the messages people will be getting from other players, hahaha.

http://gamerant.com/mortal-kombat-x-jason-vorhees-dlc/

Also this. Interesting but I kinda wish they bring Kratos back instead. I mean Freddy was an okay playable character but not the best.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://kotaku.com/the-fallout-4-announcement-has-begun-1708434161

kjEWIUs.gif

I'm just glad I don't have to see any more of the almost daily unfounded "news" articles speculating on the announcement every time someone from Bethesda goes to the bathroom, "Are they going in there to write the super secret Fallout 4 launch date in the stall!? It's possible!"

Now, if they announced it was being developed by Obsidian/the remnants of the old Black Isle Fallout team + Brian Fargo then I'd truly be excited, but this is nice I guess. =) There will at least be an opportunity for something like that as with New Vegas; in any case, Bethesda has been very good to, if not for, Fallout.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Surprise!"

That “please stand by” image, of course, is straight out of Fallout:

I love it when Kotaku has to talk down to their core teen demographic :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
"Surprise!"

I love it when Kotaku has to talk down to their core teen demographic :ganishka:

Yeah, I wonder how many "Fallout fans" have even played Fallout 1 & 2. Hopefully, the ubiquitous popularity of 3, which still looks gorgeous btw, drove a good number of folks to at least try the old games.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Unfortunately (or not), Fargo and friends have other plans for now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
Walter said:
Particularly given Fargo's ability to lend his support everywhere-at-once across several Kickstarters over the past 2 years. It implies he's not attached to any big projects.

Well, I didn't think it probable whatever the logistics, and assume it's a given that Bethesda will develop it in-house, a true successor to Fallout 3, anyway. I'm just illustrating the difference between what that, and this announcement, means to me versus someone that came to the series through Bethesda. I just hope lighting strikes twice and they eventually do something like they did with New Vegas, but, as you can tell by my characterization of that occurance, I'm not counting on it. I'm optimistic about it all though; like I said, Bethesda has done nothing but give Fallout the royal treatment and their best, even if that's not the same animal as fans of the original games expect (myself included). The alternative being, what, it getting licensed by some monster like EA or becoming a Kickstarter project itself (actually... =).

Fallout 4 trailer went live: https://youtu.be/Lnn2rJpjar4
I'll keep my fingers crossed but not incredibly impressed with the trailer honestly.
Aesthetically, the world looks so much better with color but that's been possible for a minute.
I did like the urban looking scenes though, it'd be nice to see a lively world actually FULL of folks.

Griffith

I was similarly underwhelmed. It looks more like Fallout 3 2016 than either a new revolution like 3 was or a relative return to form ala New Vegas. Definitely Bethesda's Fallout though, heavy on the broadstrokess of the iconography and mythology of Fallout 1, and hey, remember bobbleheads!?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the more varied locales shown in the trailer. Fallout 3 was a slog for me because so many locations were visually boring, flat and brown. Also, the combat system never really interested me, because it felt less like strategy and more like "how can I get close enough to make my headshot percentage higher than 33%?." But this does indeed look like Fallout 3-2 more than Fallout 4. I wonder what they'll bring that's new.

The emphasis on the pre-nuke setting makes me wonder if that will be something of an intro sequence you play through (and if so, why...?) or if it's hinting at something more significant, like time travel.

Walter said:
I liked the more varied locales shown in the trailer. Fallout 3 was a slog for me because so many locations were visually boring, flat and brown. Also, the combat system never really interested me, because it felt less like strategy and more like "how can I get close enough to make my headshot percentage higher than 33%?." But this does indeed look like Fallout 3-2 more than Fallout 4. I wonder what they'll bring that's new.

This is exactly how I felt.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the trailer was well made, tugged the right strings. Yet I'm not quite sold on it.

Griffith

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but it's more of the same, only older and stretched more thin. "War never changes..." Indeed. Fallout 3 worked for me because it was like a big budget cinematic reimagining of Fallout 1 & 2, or at least their cinematics, that was superficially very immersive (just don't pull too hard on the frayed threads of its fabric).

It doesn't help that I just played through all the major endings of New Vegas, which actually managed to be unique by embracing its setting (it also featured a colorful and varied wasteland that wasn't all brown and grey) and was different simply by advancing the world's timeline in an organic way that also better adhered to its history (it even tied in Wasteland), while offering a view of and agency in its future. This, on the other hand, looks like it's literally stuck in a time warp: grab your vault suit, power armor, and canine companion, because it's Fallout, just like you remember (if not how it was), but bigger and better(?)... Again! I guess I do think something's wrong with it. =)

XCOM 2 Confirmed: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xcom-2-revealed-coming-to-pc-first-in-november/1100-6427724/

Fallout 4 + Dark Souls 3 + XCOM 2 = 1 heck of an exciting week

Top Bottom