Games to look forward to!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
More rambling Fallout 4 thoughts nobody asked for: On the positive side, the most intriguing thing to me about the trailer was that noirish, Vegas-like setting they showed, which really brought to mind New Reno from Fallout 2. Despite it's name and best efforts, aside from the opening that atmosphere was severely lacking in New Vegas. And the concludes all the nice things I have to say. =)

So, it's weird that there's basically two overlapping ideas of Fallout that are actually quite different and sometimes hard to distinguish. There's the original Black Isle/Obsidian version and the Bethesda version, even separated by West and East coast, and the latter of which resembling what the former started as, in fact attempting to recreate it, but from which the former has evolved to become almost the antithesis to (everybody got that? =). To put it another way, the difference between what Fallout was and the idea of that and what it is now, and the false equivalency between them.

For example, by Fallout 2, the Brotherhood of Steel had all but disappeared, and continued as a marginal faction in the West in New Vegas. But in every other Fallout game made by other developers, including Bethesda, the Brotherhood of Steel are made the stars. There's two games named after the Brotherhood of Steel, a third was in development, and Fallout 3 might as well be from its advertising to its emphasis on the Brotherhood versus the Enclave (and, of course, "Broken Steel" in fact is). Obsidian's New Vegas, on the other hand, is openly contemptuous of this aggrandizement and exploitation in its marginalization of the BoS and Enclave (another reason it's such an amazingly unlikely game =). Here's what New Vegas' Mr. House had to say about the holy Brotherhood in a bit of throwaway dialogue that's nonetheless more interesting than most any speech in Fallout 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87US9AXNMME Just one character's opinion! :ganishka:

I think you can also see this separation between Fallout and the popular idea of Fallout in what Walter pointed to as Kotaku talking down to it's audience, "See this 'PLEASE STAND BY' sign? That's from Fallout. The game your dad and older brother keep telling you about and why you should be excited for Fallout 4." Here's more examples from an article analyzing the trailer and purportedly giving a Fallout history lesson:

http://kotaku.com/all-the-juicy-details-hidden-in-the-fallout-4-trailer-1708720494 said:
The first thing we see in the trailer is a throwback—it starts out on close-up to a TV screen, which displays an Indian test head pattern much like the one we saw in the countdown earlier this week. But then the camera pulls out, revealing that the TV is actually in a pretty beat-up room:

As Fallout veterans know, Fallout 1’s intro cinematic had a similar shot

Well, just about everything in Bethesda's Fallout is a throwback to Fallout 1, including The Ink Spots (a Fallout veteran would also know them from their song 'Maybe,' from the first game's intro).

http://kotaku.com/all-the-juicy-details-hidden-in-the-fallout-4-trailer-1708720494 said:
And like previous Fallout games, the Fallout 4 trailer’s music is provided by The Ink Spots:

You might know them as the folks who sing ‘I don’t want to set the world on fire~’

Well, again, Fallout 2 used Louis Armstrong's 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On,' and New Vegas Frank Sinatra's 'Blue Moon' to similar effect, but the sequels developed by the original team chose a different artist each time. This is where things get interesting (you must think so if you're still reading this crap =), because it was Bethesda that brought back the The Ink Spots with 'I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire,' which was allegedly the song Fallout 1 was intended to open with but they couldn't acquire for whatever reason. Of course, Bethesda could, and what better way to show off their Fallout bonafides than to open their interpretation of it the way it was always intended. Like a lot of things about Fallout 3, that was a nice touch and tribute to the original, but it's also emblematic of the limitations of Bethesda's creativity with the property and the tropes it perpetuates; because, here we go again, another game, another Ink Spots tune, and now that's forever "Fallout's thing" (I'd prefer they bring back original series composer Mark Morgan). Not that I'm really complaining about that, but like I said they could try doing something more interesting, (I hope they take Obsidian's cue in more than just the overworld), because so far their contributions might best be described as a pastiche "in the style" of Fallout (the weird VR stuff, Mothership Zeta, etc). It's also bemusing to see the version of Fallout literally made to be sold on a lunch box actually become what Fallout is defined as, especially after New Vegas seemingly provided a viable compromise or alternative. Oh well, it makes sense to emphasize those iconic things in a trailer anyway; vault suits, power armor, etc.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I had a strong enough opinion of the Fallout franchise to weigh in, but I just don't. :sad:

I've played bits of 1, lots of 2, all of 3, though my favorite is probably New Vegas.

Griffith

Walter said:
I wish I had a strong enough opinion of the Fallout franchise to weigh in, but I just don't. :sad:

No you don't, I spent years(!) of my adolescence in those little top down worlds. Just read that shit above, I'm a lunatic! :ganishka:

Walter said:
I've played bits of 1, lots of 2, all of 3, though my favorite is probably New Vegas.

Sounds like a pretty healthy familiarity, no shame there. I've replayed Fallout 1 multiple times up to and including a few years ago (including a save when I was kid where I killed every NPC in the game world save the Overseer =), Fallout 2 I lived in for like a year, Fallout 3 I played through the standard game and even maxed my guy, really enjoyed it, and New Vegas may not be as deep as 2 or as gorgeous as 3 but it's the best of both worlds and a "dream game" to me (always wanted Fallout 2 in an immersive first person format, 3 was half way there =).

I played the snot out of Fallout 3. I think I burned myself out a bit. I started New Vegas, but never really got into it. I still own the game, though. From some of what you all said it sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll give it another go. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
I played the snot out of Fallout 3. I think I burned myself out a bit. I started New Vegas, but never really got into it. I still own the game, though. From some of what you all said it sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll give it another go. :carcus:

Sure give it another go. I honestly don't know anyone who prefers Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

Griffith

Walter said:
Sure give it another go. I honestly don't know anyone who prefers Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

I do; people that haven't played New Vegas. :badbone:

And Fallout 3 does have that needlessly epic, stilted Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings sort of appeal, and I'm not entirely kidding. They treated it with a reverence usually reserved for biblical epics, but that's weird when the source material was kind of inherently irrelevant.

Anyone heard of Dragon's Dogma Online? The beta sign up thing literally just opened for PS4. Since I'm learning japanese I'll try and translate the yellow text.

<Important notes>

※ The first 10,000 people to have downloaded the closed beta test 1 ticket for PS4 will be sent a redeemable coupon to the email address registered on their PSN account on June 12th.
※ If you downloaded a ticket after the first 10,000 people, you will automatically be entered into a lottery for the closed beta test 1 "general recruitment" which is planned to be implemented on June 15th.
※ If unfortunately you did not receive a redeemable coupon on June 12th, you will be automatically entered into the above mentioned "general recruitment" lottery.
※ We plan to continue choosing people from the "general recruitment" lottery until July 3rd.
※ If the email notifying you of being chosen from the "general recruitment" lottery cannot be sent due to wrong information, is deleted by accident, or is filtered as spam, there is no way to resend it. Please make sure your PSN email information is correct.

I downloaded it right as I saw this, being too excited to read that it wasn't the actual beta. But only a few more days! I was wrong, the beta starts July 7th, on June 12th you'll just be notified if you were one of the first 10,000 people chosen for the beta.

Edit:
57025c590a28ea6b8ed7b418defadcf1.png

Took me several tries even with using the audio it gives you lol

A game I have been waiting for ever since the rumor announcement is:

https://warhammer.totalwar.com/
http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-brings-heroes-and-monsters-to-battle/

I don't play the table top game but I played Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Warhammer: Dark Omen, both great Fantasy titles. I recommend taking a look at Dark Omen, even today it is still playable, challenging and great fun. Creative Assembly have messed up in the past though, their latest few games have been riddled with bugs and just poor AI etc. However I cannot suppress my excitement for this game.

Anyone check out the Bethesda presentation earlier tonight? Of course a ton of Fallout 4 news was released tonight, it's release date is 11/10/15, awesome new costumization system in realtime, a nifty collections edition pip boy, duel screen/interactive phone app that reflects your pipboy stats, and a very addictive... And FREE Fallout game for your phone that was also released tonight called Fallout Shelter! As well as a really good Doom presentation. I highly recommended looking into the Bethesda E3 presentation and the info they put out tonight as there was a lot of great stuff put in the table. One of the small details that was mentioned is Fallout 4 hasn't been in development not since just Skyrim but following the completion of Fallout 3!

Wow, Fallout! I'm pretty excited about the new and improved features. Customizing weapons, building settlements (at long last, you can arrange your own furniture! ;P) flying and what have you. I also like what they seem to be doing with the power armor, where it's not just the strongest armor in the game, but more of a one-man-tank sort of thing.

The game looks like another great sandbox, where you'll blow countless hours just playing house and combing the wilderness. I'm really glad Bethesda is still happy to revel in this aspect of the game, rather than shifting focus to try to create a more story-centric experience, a la Bioware for example.

With that said, I sure wouldn't mind if the world building and general writing were better. Fallout 3's environment made no sense, people were presumably sustaining themselves on canned food and cigaretters from groceries 200 years after the apocalypse, not to mention that one cave full of kids fending off super mutants. *shudder* Unfortunately, Fallout 4 doesn't seem more promising than Fallout 3 in that regard - it still looks like it's 2 years after the apocalypse, not 200.

Griffith

IcePuck said:
With that said, I sure wouldn't mind if the world building and general writing were better. Fallout 3's environment made no sense, people were presumably sustaining themselves on canned food and cigaretters from groceries 200 years after the apocalypse, not to mention that one cave full of kids fending off super mutants. *shudder* Unfortunately, Fallout 4 doesn't seem more promising than Fallout 3 in that regard - it still looks like it's 2 years after the apocalypse, not 200.

What'chu talkin' 'bout, mungo? Yeah... it was just a bunch of random Fallout-like locations with little cohesion, and every time they kick the same basic premise down the timeline it gets stretched thinner, but I don't demand a ton of realism from Fallout in the first place. Even in the 90's I didn't think bottlecaps made for a good currency. =) I would like to see them do more with it though and evolve things somewhat ala Fallout 2 and New Vegas (not to keep beating that Brahmin). Are they going to have tribals or actually deal with next generation survivors? That's been a thing since Fallout 2, and arguably the first game, but in Fallout 3 everyone acts like they're from a vault or were somehow around when the bombs dropped. At this point you'd think most people wouldn't even consider the wasteland post apocalyptic since it should be all they know; it's just the world.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This was the highlight of last night for me: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/15/8780523/super-mario-maker-bros-e3-world-1-1-nintendo-world-championship-gameplay

Death May Die said:
Anyone check out the Bethesda presentation earlier tonight?

I was able to watch most of it last night. Of the games at the show, I was looking forward to Doom's reveal the most -- by far. And while aspects of the game look cool, and I appreciate them trying to find the right place for Doom in today's industry, honestly I really wasn't that impressed by what I saw. The initial factory-like environment looked like it was ripped right out of Doom 3. And while the action was a bit faster and more dynamic than Doom 3, it wasn't exactly blowing my skirt up. That scene in Hell with the two Hell Knights was the most interesting in terms of how encounters can play out. The scripted takedowns are going to get old really quick (considering we saw 4 of them repeat in the course of the demo), the monster designs aren't interesting and I didn't feel any of the weapons really looked fun to use. I did laugh at the "red card" solution though :ganishka:

One of the small details that was mentioned is Fallout 4 hasn't been in development not since just Skyrim but following the completion of Fallout 3!

From memory, I believe what Todd Howard said was that full production began during the tail end of Skyrim (hence 4 years); but some pre-production and concept work began after Fallout 3. Not that unheard of.

Griffith said:
Are they going to have tribals or actually deal with next generation survivors? That's been a thing since Fallout 2, and arguably the first game, but in Fallout 3 everyone acts like they're from a vault or were somehow around when the bombs dropped. At this point you'd think most people wouldn't even consider the wasteland post apocalyptic since it should be all they know; it's just the world.

Indeed, it's especially weird considering the post-apocalypse genre was based on books where ignorance of the old world and its ways was the centerpiece, like A Boy and His Dog and Riddley Walker. I suppose you could argue that the remnants of the old world are everywhere, and it would take a while for the knowledge of those relics to disappear completely.

Griffith

Dar Klink said:
Last Guardian wh... NOW! :isidro:

Pfff, that's still fresh compared to this unlikely announcement:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/14/earthbound-beginnings-brings-mother-to-wii-u

Never thought I'd see that! Hopefully, this and Lucas being added to Smash 4 bodes well for Mother 3 getting an official stateside release. Nintendo should just ask the crew that fan translated it if they can modify their version with credit. =)

Shenmue 3 kickstarter is already nearing $2.5 mil: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

I'm not sure how to feel about the FF7 remake. The trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg) looks very serious and realistic looking. Do people forget that the game is very (intentionally) cartoony. It's got speedo-clad squat thrusting macho men! I can't imagine that translating well based on this trailer. I think I just really want to see actual gameplay footage...

oh yeah, and apparently Dark Souls 3 is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuznBmu-gQ

Griffith

Fasty McNasty said:
Shenmue 3 kickstarter is already nearing $2.5 mil: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Give the people what an active minority of them want! :ganishka:

I'm not sure how to feel about the FF7 remake. The trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg) looks very serious and realistic looking. Do people forget that the game is very (intentionally) cartoony. It's got speedo-clad squat thrusting macho men! I can't imagine that translating well based on this trailer. I think I just really want to see actual gameplay footage...

Yeah, I didn't even mention it because, while I don't want to be all, "email me 10 years ago when I cared," what exactly has Square done with this property since 1997 that makes people think this will be an improvement (or "done right," to put it another way)? I mean, the graphics will be better, everything else could be worse though (especially tone, as you alluded to). Do we really need a tone deaf MGS: Twin Snakes-style remake of FF7? It'll be interesting to see how it holds up with full voice acting and all, but it could just be a rude awakening that this seemed a better idea back in the day, in its proper time and place. It could be one might be better off just HD modding the PC version.

oh yeah, and apparently Dark Souls 3 is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuznBmu-gQ

Isn't Bloodborne kind of like Dark Souls 3, or the real Dark Souls 2, or is it Demon's Souls 3 then, or 4? Does that make this Demon's Souls 5, or Dark Souls 4, or Bloodborne 2? Maybe they should try something different, besides names. =)

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Griffith said:
Pfff, that's still fresh compared to this unlikely announcement:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/14/earthbound-beginnings-brings-mother-to-wii-u

Never thought I'd see that! Hopefully, this and Lucas being added to Smash 4 bodes well for Mother 3 getting an official stateside release. Nintendo should just ask the crew that fan translated it if they can modify their version with credit. =)

Hey, it's my schtick to bring it up every year, I can't help that this is the year that Shenmue 3, FF7 remake, and Nintendo actually acknowledging the Mother series outside of Japan/Smash Bros as well as the year more Last Guardian is finally shown!

I think out of everything I'm most excited for the new Nier game, it has a pretty crazy staff working on it. KH3 and FF7HD I'll play and enjoy but the time of my life where those meant something to me is long past I think. I do think the marshmellow men graphics could do with an upgrade though, FF7 is the FF that has aged the worst, at least graphicswise, but like Fasty said, how are they going to convey the original tone with that style?

As for Dark Souls 3, I haven't even looked into it yet really. I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, enjoyed 2 despite not liking parts of it, and really want to play Bloodborne but I just feel over-saturated on Souls. I'm sure I'll play and enjoy it, but it's hard for me to get super excited.

In any case, Nintendo really dropped the ball by not announcing the Mega Man Legends 3 Kickstarter to combat Sony!

Ahmetal

God hand help us
VengeanceQuest982 said:
I hope no one here was looking forward to getting their hands on Batman Arkham Knight the Batmobile Limited Edition as WB has cancelled it due to all the mass produced batmobiles being defective. Announcement comes 5 days before the game launches.

Batman Arkham Knight Batmobile Edition Cancelled.

I secured the limited edition and had gone through hell to try and secure this but after almost getting scammed twice on ebay I gave up. Sad for others but a bit relieved I won't be missing an edition....prime 1 will be releasing a batmobile anyway. Will be much better. But much pricier.

I would like to say for me, this E3 was the best I can recall in years. It seemed to me it waswell rounded in most aspects. Some say PS4 won the show, some say XboxOne did, I say it's not about the consoles. It's about the games, and no one lost in terms of games. Gaming has a great outlook the next few years. The last three years have been pretty lacking in terms of games that peaked my interest. Thinking about it the presentations, for me Square-Enix was the most lack luster. (I did pop for FF7, but the KH3 I found disappointing in content, so the moments hype cancelled itself out.) I feel they have a great line up for the future, however in contrast to the other great reveals it just didn't stand out. Otherwise, I'm now convinced to jump to the next gen consoles, and I'm thankful it didn't take another year to do so. It's was a very exciting week for me!

...This is the only bit of information I'm gonna say about Batman Arkham Knight before launch day ... If you want
the full ending All side quests in Arkham Knight are mandatory including The Most Wanted List OPS and Riddler Challenges to unlock it

VengeanceQuest982 said:
...This is the only bit of information I'm gonna say about Batman Arkham Knight before launch day ... If you want
the full ending All side quests in Arkham Knight are mandatory including The Most Wanted List OPS and Riddler Challenges to unlock it

Well guess who won't be
unlocking the full ending!!
:ganishka:
You're looking at the queen of avoiding side-misisons and quests! Gotta love YouTube!

Just noticed this topic hasn't been used for a while.
Any thoughts on Resident Evil 7 ? I was a bit skeptical when I saw the first pictures and trailer... but the recent one teased my interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9K1uUV17PA

The Baker family looks creepy as fuck... You can easily guess from which movies they picked up that family "concept".
The question is... what are they infected by ? A new virus ? or a parasite ?

Also, I'm wondering how Capcom will link this episode to the previous ones.

Top Bottom