Games to look forward to!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Any thoughts on Resident Evil 7 ?

The VR implementation seems to be a mess. Other than that, it looks interesting, but what makes it a RE title?

Also, I'm wondering how Capcom will link this episode to the previous ones.

Indeed. For all intents and purposes this looks like a cool horror game that got slapped with "Resident Evil" so it would get more exposure. Just like Resident Evil 4, basically. That approach was detrimental to RE4, so I hope it won't be for this game as well.

I'm not pleased with this latest news. Kawata said that the playable trailer was only meant to show the atmosphere they were shooting for. Reasoning that they were just part of the trailer and not in the actual game, I enjoyed the trailer because I could ignore the things that were shit, such as the fact the trailer was riddled with cliches, cheap jump scares, and some nonsensical mechanics. But it appears that they actually were showing some version of the actual game.

In the other thread I said I was cautiously optimistic about RE7. I'm still open-minded enough to wait and see if the game ends up being good, but I'm a lot less optimistic.

Aazealh said:
The VR implementation seems to be a mess. Other than that, it looks interesting, but what makes it a RE title?

I don't know about the VR on this game... I might get the Playstation VR at some point, so... I'll judge by myself. I agree, it's hard to tell what makes this game a RE, since it have nothing in common with the previous ones except the title. We'll have to wait and see for the story elements.

Aazealh said:
Indeed. For all intents and purposes this looks like a cool horror game that got slapped with "Resident Evil" so it would get more exposure. Just like Resident Evil 4, basically. That approach was detrimental to RE4, so I hope it won't be for this game as well.

Honestly, I'll wait to have the game in hands to really see what it got in its guts. They're trying a different approach with the first person view this time and I think it's cool, sure it's not RE like, etc... but at least we might get a true horror experience with this episode.
I personally appreciated the demo/teaser (looking forward to the next updates), it have this grim and claustrophobic atmosphere I'm looking for in a horror game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about the VR on this game... I might get the Playstation VR at some point, so... I'll judge by myself. I agree, it's hard to tell what makes this game a RE, since it have nothing in common with the previous ones except the title. We'll have to wait and see for the story elements.

The PSVR is a neat piece of kit, but limited by the PS4's power. I'd recommend getting it with a PS4 Pro because I can see performance problems cropping up in the future.
RE7's VR implementation was a "quick and dirty" one though, at least during its reveal, and therefore it was barely usable. Hopefully they'll overhaul it before the release. I'd actually really like to play that game in VR.

Honestly, I'll wait to have the game in hands to really see what it got in its guts. They're trying a different approach with the first person view this time and I think it's cool, sure it's not RE like, etc... but at least we might get a true horror experience with this episode.
I personally appreciated the demo/teaser (looking forward to the next updates), it have this grim and claustrophobic atmosphere I'm looking for in a horror game.

Yeah, I mean I skipped RE6 so I'm basically "over" the series. The only reason this one interests me is because it's different. So I understand the business logic behind continuing the franchise, but I hope it doesn't negatively affect this game.

Aazealh said:
The PSVR is a neat piece of kit, but limited by the PS4's power. I'd recommend getting it with a PS4 Pro because I can see performance problems cropping up in the future.
RE7's VR implementation was a "quick and dirty" one though, at least during its reveal, and therefore it was barely usable. Hopefully they'll overhaul it before the release. I'd actually really like to play that game in VR.

That's what I was thinking about the other day, the experience will certainly be better with a PS4 Pro... but damn, I'll have to buy the PSVR AND a new PS4 (that really break my balls since I bought mine in February 2015 lol). Yes, they must fix that before the release. I never tried any games in VR so far, so this one will be a good start I guess.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I mean I skipped RE6 so I'm basically "over" the series. The only reason this one interests me is because it's different. So I understand the business logic behind continuing the franchise, but I hope it doesn't negatively affect this game.

Let's hope so... but yeah, I'm confident that we will experience something "new" with this one. SO... let's wait and see. :guts:

Aazealh said:

I also skipped RE6. The PSVR has been on my radar specifically for this game. I'm saddened to hear that what you saw seemed less than impressive. Imagined myself in the basement late at night getting scared with some kind of immersion I haven't experienced. Hope there is indeed an overhaul by Feb.

Watched a video recently about what makes a resident evil game and I must say I tend to agree with the person who made it. While RE5 was fun for couch co op, outside of the characters, it was an action game and didn't resonate any old feeling the series had. Go all the way back to ps1 and we have had the classics, 4 (to me is still the king), 5, outbreak, and the rail shooters on the wii. I know there are several more, but this new game, assuming the lore is in place, is all I know of to make something resident evil. A lot of us started with the original, (old bastards) but capcom has been nothing but evolving with the series. If the execution is great, maybe we'll have a few games with this new look.

Now if my favorite horror series would get some dedicated and gifted individuals behind it. My old silent hill has been a mess. Strangely, I can't think of anything coming up I'm greatly anticipating.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking about the other day, the experience will certainly be better with a PS4 Pro... but damn, I'll have to buy the PSVR AND a new PS4 (that really break my balls since I bought mine in February 2015 lol). Yes, they must fix that before the release. I never tried any games in VR so far, so this one will be a good start I guess.

To their credit, Sony's done a bunch of nice things in VR. PlayStation VR Worlds is pretty neat, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is effective enough, if short (also I've played two demos of it that were completely different from one another), RIGS feels like a real multiplayer game and is super fun, and then there's cool stuff like Robinson: The Journey and Battlefront VR, or even little games like Headmasters that are funny enough. The one thing to look out for is the length of each experience. Most titles will be short at first (1 to 5 hours), so people should adjust their expectations in that regard. Those who buy the PSVR at launch aren't just supporting a new system, they're helping to pioneer a new medium.

Salem said:
I also skipped RE6. The PSVR has been on my radar specifically for this game. I'm saddened to hear that what you saw seemed less than impressive. Imagined myself in the basement late at night getting scared with some kind of immersion I haven't experienced. Hope there is indeed an overhaul by Feb.

The problem is that they just slapped a VR mode on top of the game, without any adjustments. That's basically barf-mode 3000. Locomotion is the most sensitive aspect of VR, you've got to handle it very carefully, otherwise you'll give the player motion sickness (and believe me that can be nasty). That's why the Until Dawn spin-off has you in a cart on rails, for example. There are many ways to get around those restrictions, but the developers need to really work on it. Capcom has very talented people, so I'm hoping they'll fix it one way or the other. My guess is they'll either extensively tweak the controls/viewing system or reduce the VR mode to a short side story.

Salem said:
Strangely, I can't think of anything coming up I'm greatly anticipating.

I'm somewhat excited about Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, an MMORPG from the creator of EverQuest. This does not make me feel any younger.

Aazealh said:
To their credit, Sony's done a bunch of nice things in VR. PlayStation VR Worlds is pretty neat, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is effective enough, if short (also I've played two demos of it that were completely different from one another), RIGS feels like a real multiplayer game and is super fun, and then there's cool stuff like Robinson: The Journey and Battlefront VR, or even little games like Headmasters that are funny enough. The one thing to look out for is the length of each experience. Most titles will be short at first (1 to 5 hours), so people should adjust their expectations in that regard. Those who buy the PSVR at launch aren't just supporting a new system, they're helping to pioneer a new medium.

Thanks for the suggestions ! I'll check all that once I get the PSVR (certainly early next year).

Ah yes... I'm anticipating Resident Evil 7 but I'll also get Nioh; I loved the alpha and beta.
Excited for the first DLC of Dark Souls 3 on next month.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Just noticed this topic hasn't been used for a while.
Any thoughts on Resident Evil 7 ? I was a bit skeptical when I saw the first pictures and trailer... but the recent one teased my interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9K1uUV17PA

The Baker family looks creepy as fuck... You can easily guess from which movies they picked up that family "concept".
The question is... what are they infected by ? A new virus ? or a parasite ?

Redneck simulator lol. The dinner eating scene was amazingly disgusting. Too bad I can't link this game to Resident Evil no matter how hard I try to. Still, it ought to be a good survival horror game.

Feeblecursedone said:
Redneck simulator lol. The dinner eating scene was amazingly disgusting. Too bad I can't link this game to Resident Evil no matter how hard I try to. Still, it ought to be a good survival horror game.

In the playable trailer there's a polaroid of an
Umbrella helicopter flying around the area.
Does that count? :troll:

My biggest question is if the
ghost
from the trailer will be in the game. And if so, how will they explain that within the context of the RE universe, a universe devoid of the
paranormal/supernatural
until now.

Does Dark Souls 3 first DLC count? That's about all I'm looking forward to right now, FromSoft usually delivers on their DLCs. I'm rather disappointed with the upcoming titles slated for release in the next 6 months.

I guess Mass Effect: Andromeda is one that excites me, but I'm a bit more skeptical of BioWare these days.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Skeleton said:
In the playable trailer there's a polaroid of an
Umbrella helicopter flying around the area.
Does that count? :troll:

My biggest question is if the
ghost
from the trailer will be in the game. And if so, how will they explain that within the context of the RE universe, a universe devoid of the
paranormal/supernatural
until now.

Haven't been on a forum for a while, so forgot to reply, sorry.

Wait, there's a ghost? o_O I do not want ghosts in my Resident Evil thank you. On another hand, let's just call this Silent Hill meets Resident Evil crossover/spin-off and call it a day.

As for games to look forward to , I have Dishonoured 2 and Pokemon Sun/Moon for this year. Same about FF XII Zodiac age next year and god knows when, Dragon Quest XI.

Feeblecursedone said:
Haven't been on a forum for a while, so forgot to reply, sorry.

Wait, there's a ghost? o_O I do not want ghosts in my Resident Evil thank you. On another hand, let's just call this Silent Hill meets Resident Evil crossover/spin-off and call it a day.

Yes, there is a ghost-like entity in the "demo". But it has been confirmed there won't be any ghosts... so it's certainly something else (a new B.O.W. ?).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yes, there is a ghost-like entity in the "demo". But it has been confirmed there won't be any ghosts... so it's certainly something else (a new B.O.W. ?).

Oh thank goodness, I wouldn't want the series to become ridiculous.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/788001608827281408

I never had the opportunity to play Red Dead Redemption -- but maybe the sequel will come to PC?

Griffith

Definitely "the one that got away" for a lot of PC gamers, myself included, though I did get to indulge my old west GTA police chase urges at a friend's house. To be honest though, I'm kind of over the whole shtick; I've still barely played GTAV and haven't been passionate about that series since San Andreas, and nothing they've done has topped the experience of III since anyway (except maybe RDR, but idk). It also doesn't help that they inexplicably boned us on RDR in the first place and jerked our chain on GTAV for so long. I don't think I need you and your one same good game from 15 years ago anymore, Rockstar, and you've already made it clear you don't need me. In other words, I'm not holding my breath for Red Dead Revengeance or whatever it's going to be.

I played RDR for the first time last year and had a good time, but for some reason my brain always erases 90% of the memories I have of open world games like that. I feel like I played 5 hours but I probably played 50.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Just noticed this topic hasn't been used for a while.
Any thoughts on Resident Evil 7 ? I was a bit skeptical when I saw the first pictures and trailer... but the recent one teased my interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9K1uUV17PA

The Baker family looks creepy as fuck... You can easily guess from which movies they picked up that family "concept".
The question is... what are they infected by ? A new virus ? or a parasite ?

I'm excited.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
I played RDR for the first time last year and had a good time, but for some reason my brain always erases 90% of the memories I have of open world games like that. I feel like I played 5 hours but I probably played 50.

That's another thing, once the novelty of open world wore off it went from innovative to a chore save for the most transcendent examples of the form (all the shitty iterations just done for the sake of having it didn't help). I don't want to aimlessly wander around big worlds so full of bullshit it amounts to nothing.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm excited.

I like the first person gameplay trailer more, just for the atmosphere. The whole Texas Chainsaw/Hills Have Eyes shit is literally over 40 years old and done to death. They might as well have the Wolfman and Dracula show up. Or, shit, just actually do the ghosts. Boo, Haunted House! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TChLGi_vi7g

This is some good "looking forward to" right here, huh? :ganishka:

297.png

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuXkVzBdJQ

I literally loled throughout to the point I started simultaneously wheezing. Good God that game. This series! The point I'm taking away from this is that it could be a lot worse than riffing on "modern" horror classics.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Griffith said:
I literally loled throughout to the point I started simultaneously wheezing. Good God that game. This series! The point I'm taking away from this is that it could be a lot worse than riffing on "modern" horror classics.

Just everything about that clip. What's up with that music?

Top Bottom