Games to look forward to!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Griffith said:
That's another thing, once the novelty of open world wore off it went from innovative to a chore save for the most transcendent examples of the form (all the shitty iterations just done for the sake of having it didn't help). I don't want to aimlessly wander around big worlds so full of bullshit it amounts to nothing.

Probably later than where most people stopped, but the Witcher 3 was where I stopped with open world games. I was working at an office with some avid gamers who talked up Witcher 3 so I bought it. It has some good moments, but I never finished the game so...

Walter said:
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/788001608827281408

I never had the opportunity to play Red Dead Redemption -- but maybe the sequel will come to PC?

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

Mk7rMnK.png

Maybe it'll come out on PC at a later date, that's what they did with GTA 5 right?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:

That's really too bad, because while I enjoyed RDR quite a bit, I'm not buying a console to play the sequel.

And to answer to Griff, I don't think RDR really fits the GTA formula. It always felt to me like they had just unwisely slapped the GTA interface on a game that didn't need it. There's a lot less to do in the open world than in GTA V for example. It's not as bad as L.A. Noire (where the open world is 100% useless), but it's not too far either. Still, great game. Very atmospheric.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Just everything about that clip. What's up with that music?

It's the eternal struggle of man vs. boulder, like Sisyphus! Of course man wins by punching away the tons of solid rock, just like Greek mythology.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Probably later than where most people stopped, but the Witcher 3 was where I stopped with open world games. I was working at an office with some avid gamers who talked up Witcher 3 so I bought it. It has some good moments, but I never finished the game so...

Yeah, it's supposed to be the best game ever, and I don't even doubt it would live up to the hype, if I cared to play a game like that anymore.

Walter said:
Yeah, GTAV came to PC ~1 year after console launch. They could tide me over with a PC release of the first game though =)

Unfortunately they read the stars and the planets and picked their magic number and it said no RDR on PC, to quote, "All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms. To PC gamers, we hope that between the Grand Theft Auto titles, and the forthcoming L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, you'll have plenty of great Rockstar action to enjoy."

Yeah, well I'm not running out to buy any more Rockstar games either. Now they're living up to their name in the wrong way; acting the part, playing the same old song, all to the dissatisfaction of their fans.

Aazealh said:
That's really too bad, because while I enjoyed RDR quite a bit, I'm not buying a console to play the sequel.

And to answer to Griff, I don't think RDR really fits the GTA formula. It always felt to me like they had just unwisely slapped the GTA interface on a game that didn't need it. There's a lot less to do in the open world than in GTA V for example. It's not as bad as L.A. Noire (where the open world is 100% useless), but it's not too far either. Still, great game. Very atmospheric.

Yeah, from what little I played it sure seemed that way. I'm actually more bothered by the arbitrary nature of this than I am bitter or anxious to play RDR or its sequel. It's like, you can release Red Dead vs. Zombies for X-Box to ship another million units but not a PC port of a game you already sold 14 million copies of? Fuck off.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So, after playing the beta and the recent demo, I pre-ordered Nioh.

Pre-ordering is something I almost never do. However, the devs took feedback from the community seriously and strike me as a team that will give this franchise their full support out the game. It is definitely borrowing a lot from Dark Souls, but with a Warring States flare. It is difficult, but fair. The co-op makes the experience a lot of fun. I'm basically all in at this point.

People from the Vagabond board might recognize a few of the names of NPCs and enemies, too.

Star Wars Battlefront 2. I can't wait. It's spanning all three generations so I'm really hoping Count Dooku will be playable in this one. The story mode doesn't tickle my pickle too much, but considering the first game had no story mode at all I'll take what I can get.

Griffith

I can't wait for FOOTBAW '17 and Cull for Army: Derivative Warfare. They're sure to be as good as those other sequels.

Far Cry 5 First Look: A Montana Uprising
[flash=200,200]https://youtu.be/Kdaoe4hbMso[/flash]

As much as I'm sick of the divisive states of America, Far Cry 5 has me hyped immediately. A fresh change for the series was needed and I hope this delivers a great experience.

Griffith

Salem said:
Far Cry 5 First Look: A Montana Uprising

As much as I'm sick of the divisive states of America, Far Cry 5 has me hyped immediately.

Oy, can't I even escape from this shit in a video game though rather than exploring the worst case scenarios? :ganishka:

Ugh....
Well, seems overtime will be for many things around xmas this year. Outside of the many titles like gow4, ori 2, spidey, last of us 2, horizon dlc, days gone, and southpark...which is plenty. Now I'm contemplating the psvr because I've said I would never tread near one until something like elder scrolls and now we have that. Then I've been holding off getting a switch unless something like metroid was in the works. Bring it. :zodd:

Nintendo made E3 it's bitch, along with convincing me to finally pick up a Switch this fall. They easily showed way more to look forward to than Microsoft or Sony did.

Metroid Prime 4? :ubik: :ubik:

Griffith

N7Paladin said:
Nintendo made E3 it's bitch, along with convincing me to finally pick up a Switch this fall.

Yes, unfortunately Super Mario Odyssey looks like it's bursting with the same creative magic that made BotW so irresistibly fun and addictive. Here's hoping it's actually a big disappointment! -My pocketbook

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:

Also, a Metroid 2 remake for 3DS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-metroid-samus-returns-announced-for-3ds

Prime 4 though... I loved Prime 1, but my passion for the series went down with each release. I was really hoping for a new 2D experience unlike what we got with Other M. Oh well, I'm sure the new game will be cool.

N7Paladin said:
Nintendo made E3 it's bitch, along with convincing me to finally pick up a Switch this fall.

I thought Nintendo's showing was pretty lacking compared to what Microsoft brought to the table this year, which is the opposite of how it normally goes. The biggest surprise was Metroid Prime 4, but that was just a title crawl.

Griffith said:
Yes, unfortunately Super Mario Odyssey looks like it's bursting with the same creative magic that made BotW so irresistibly fun and addictive. Here's hoping it's actually a big disappointment! -My pocketbook

The trailer for Odyssey was great, but the level they were demonstrating after the show (NEW DONK CITY) looked pretty boring to navigate. I'm sure that zone amounts to 1-2% of the game, but I wasn't impressed at all by Mario jumping around a cityscape.

Griffith

Walter said:
The trailer for Odyssey was great, but the level they were demonstrating after the show (NEW DONK CITY) looked pretty boring to navigate. I'm sure that zone amounts to 1-2% of the game, but I wasn't impressed at all by Mario jumping around a cityscape.

Like I said, I truly hope it's not worth it (if it is I'll just be happy for you and Aaz, I guess =). For comparison, here's our initial BotW impressions:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg229111#msg229111

Griffith said:
I'm not a big fan of the whole thing, really. They're saying all the right things, but they always do. I'm waiting for all the caveats to this open world presentation that's already been done to death by others. Plus, the "incredible" cel-shaded style... we've been there and done that a few times already. It's just another rut the series is stuck in at this point.
Griffith said:
are the overprotective parents at Nintendo really going to just drop you in the middle of an open world full of "dangerous" enemies? Do they even know how to do that? I mean, they held our hand and literally gave us a scanner when there was only one way to go anyway, how are they going to overcompensate if you actually can get lost (they might put Link on a leash connected to the helper character =)? Same for the enemies, though I don't see how they could get any easier from SS; you could literally back attack one in a row of three without the other two turning around. My overall fear is that they're going to do the bare minimum in the service of an "open" world, but it's going to be a mediocre compromise compared to what's already out there, and it'll come at the expense of any other progress like the lack of enemy A.I., lack of difficulty in general, or even relatively superficial shit like basic voiceover

WHOOPS! :ganishka:

Just tell me if you guys want more of my opinions so you can know what's NOT going to happen. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
For comparison, here's our initial BotW impressions:

are the overprotective parents at Nintendo really going to just drop you in the middle of an open world full of "dangerous" enemies?

OUCH! :ganishka:

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected Nintendo would actually knock it out of the park on their first go-round at an open-world game, particularly directly after Skyward Sword. BotW ended up being a once-in-a-generation kind of game.

@Walter What did Microsoft bring that makes you say that? As an Xbox One S owner (who only owns the S because my original One shit the bed after 2 years), the One X is a $500 upgrade that I don't really want to buy. Anthem looked decent and has potential, but it also looked a lot like a Destiny clone as well. The new Metro game looked a little interesting, but nothing else did much for me.

Maybe I'm just overly excited for MP 4, I loved Prime 1 and thought 2 was almost as good. Never played 3 because I never owned a Wii, but playing it with the Wii remote sounded miserable.

On a side note, one of the collector's bundles for the new Assassin's Creed is $800. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
@Walter What did Microsoft bring that makes you say that? As an Xbox One S owner (who only owns the S because my original One shit the bed after 2 years), the One X is a $500 upgrade that I don't really want to buy. Anthem looked decent and has potential, but it also looked a lot like a Destiny clone as well. The new Metro game looked a little interesting, but nothing else did much for me.

It's not a contest, but I was just generally more impressed by what Microsoft showed than Nintendo's 30-minute trailer mostly filled with games that were known quantities. I don't care about Microsoft's hardware at all. Hell, I don't even plan on owning an Xbox. But Microsoft brought more new game reveals, which is always what makes E3 exciting. Aside from MP4's title crawl, and a guy in an office saying another Pokemon game was being made (surprise!), Nintendo didn't reveal anything new and exciting. We saw more of stuff we already had seen.

Maybe I'm just overly excited for MP 4, I loved Prime 1 and thought 2 was almost as good. Never played 3 because I never owned a Wii, but playing it with the Wii remote sounded miserable.

I've played Metroid Prime 1 probably five times through, including once on the Wii (which was fine). It's one of my favorite games ever. But I couldn't even finish MP3, because the series was really starting to feel long in the tooth by that point. Retro stretched out what they could do in that space, which is partly what worries me about MP4 -- even if we don't know that it's Retro yet (and if it were, it'd be a new roster at this point). On top of that, the prospect of yet another 3D Metroid FPS j ust doesn't excite me in the same way that it would if Nintendo were to return to the series' 2D roots in a fresh way (Other M was farmed out to Team Ninja) like they did with, say, Zelda this year.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:

I don't have an Xbox One, but that E3 lineup (42 games shown, 22 exclusives) did strike me as being pretty damn good. I thought Anthem looked great for one thing, and I've never had any interest in Destiny. Then there's The Last Night, Cuphead (finally!), Sea of Thieves, Metro: Exodus, Black Desert, the new Ori game... And they also showed the new AC which looked cool for a change. Now those are just some of the games I was personally interested in, but they also had some Minecraft stuff, Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Shadow of War, Life is Strange 2, Super Lucky's Tale and a couple Dark Souls-ish games like Code Vein or Dark & Light.

Walter said:
I've played Metroid Prime 1 probably five times through, including once on the Wii (which was fine). It's one of my favorite games ever. But I couldn't even finish MP3, because the series was really starting to feel long in the tooth by that point. Retro stretched out what they could do in that space, which is partly what worries me about MP4 -- even if we don't know that it's Retro yet (and if it were, it'd be a new roster at this point). On top of that, the prospect of yet another 3D Metroid FPS j ust doesn't excite me in the same way that it would if Nintendo were to return to the series' 2D roots in a fresh way (Other M was farmed out to Team Ninja) like they did with, say, Zelda this year.

My main problem with MP2 and MP3 was the story elements. It's light element with MP2 but 3 goes all out and it's pretty bad at times. Which is also basically the problem Other M had, but 5 times worse. Hopefully by now, in 2017, they have understood that writing a story is a job for a professional storyteller.

Top Bottom