Episode 314

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I was happy to see the beast eye again... I am dying to know what the text in that panel says. It looks to me that this might be another internal + external struggle for ol' Guts.

I'm guessing in the next episode, the kids might join up with the rest of the gang.

Excellent episode, I dig the way that Guts block and slice the huge tentacle!
now it's almost sure that we will see the beast in the next episode...
Oh by the way... there is some very nice news from AOW at the end, glad to see that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
As for whether or not Guts will give into the armor again, I think it's highly likely, since his wounds from Slan are not fully healed yet and he will be facing a very tough enemy soon enough.

Hmm, I don't know about that. He's obviously trying to hold on without it... and so far he's succeeding. No doubt the next episode will be a real challenge in that regard, but then again that might be the point of all this. Ever since he got the armor Guts has been unable to fight a tough battle without giving in to it (the battle against the Makara in volume 31 comes to mind), so this is a good opportunity to see whether he can still hold his own like in the old days. If not, well then that could have dire consequences. We'll see.

It's also a chance for Serpico to shine and to prove to Guts that he doesn't always have to do everything alone, that he can rely on his friends instead of pushing himself beyond the limit (in a continuation of their previous team-ups, like against Daiba).

Dar Klink said:
I'm glad to see Farnese making use of Schierke's thorns

Hahaha yeah, the serpents of thorns return! That was cute. :guts:

The Beast of Darkness said:
now it's almost sure that we will see the beast in the next episode...

Nothing is sure. The Beast is just taunting him, questioning whether he can handle so many enemies without resorting to the armor's power. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be prominently featured in the next episode.

The Beast of Darkness said:
Oh by the way... there is some very nice news from AOW at the end, glad to see that.

It's nice that they're finally releasing a statue of Puck in his normal form. I'm not a huge fan of the Casca & Serpico statues so far though. Will have to see more to be sure.

Anyway, Miura's comment this time was that he went fishing with friends again. He thinks he's becoming better at it.

Aazealh said:
Nothing is sure. The Beast is just taunting him, questioning whether he can handle so many enemies without resorting to the armor's power. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be prominently featured in the next episode.
And that's why I precised almost sure. :slan:

Aazealh said:
It's nice that they're finally releasing a statue of Puck in his normal form. I'm not a huge fan of the Casca & Serpico statues so far though. Will have to see more to be sure.
Yeah, we need to see more but it's still cool to finally see some renewal.
Anyway, let's hope that they make it right.

Hey, i just finished reading 314 and i really liked it . Is it just me , or does Guts face seem kinda tired from all the fighting and the handling of the armor?? By the way , i don't know why but this episode reminded me of pirates of the caribbean.
So i'm guessing that Schierke won't be able to get to Guts, so maybe at the end we're gonna see Gut's going against Serpico and maybe wounding him. :schnoz:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rus said:
By the way , i don't know why but this episode reminded me of pirates of the caribbean.

1260871819975.gif

yeah i know, i think pirates of the caribbean is stupid too , but my thoughts of Guts fighting the tentacles were " hmmm what if Jack Sparrow had a Dragon Slayer that sure would help against that kraaken thingy"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rus said:
So i'm guessing that Schierke won't be able to get to Guts, so maybe at the end we're gonna see Guts going against Serpico and maybe wounding him. :schnoz:
That's a pretty huge logical leap in reasoning. Guts isn't going to give in to the Beast here, and it's got nothing to do with Schierke's proximity to him.

The tension introduced in this episode regarding the armor was likely inserted just to remind us that Guts CAN'T use the armor's full potential, because it's too dangerous. Furthermore, the Beast made it very clear in Ep 290 that he was going to lie low, until the moment when Guts' friends are killed, and then there will be no holding it back. It says:

puella said:
The Beast of Darkness: For now it's OK. I'll follow you
The Beast of Darkness: I'll gather my breath at the bottom of my deep darkness
The Beast of Darkness: I'll save my power as much as I'm tied and suppressed
The Beast of Darkness: And then... in the end...

Somehow, I don't that moment isn't going to be here, threatened by the hands of sea cucumbers. However, it does gives Guts a great opportunity to prove his abilities independent of the armor.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I'm thinking the Captain and crew will transform into this sea cucumber bosses/sub boss (you know what I mean). in a way they might be bigger or with more mouths than the ones in this episode.

I know we knew it was coming, but I really liked the ship climbing up the cliff-side. This was one of my favorite episodes in awhile.

I wonder what's happening on board of the Sea Horse right now, is the ship also being attacked by the sea cucumbers? I wonder if the cannons would be enough to defend the ship, somehow I doubt it. Maybe it will be a good occasion for some Azan action :azan:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Staralfur said:
I wonder what's happening on board of the Sea Horse right now,
I wonder if they even noticed :magni:'s loud shrieking and arm cannon explosions.
Maybe the crew will play bigger role later on. Surely Azan cannot just sit and do nothing :azan:, unless he is in a sleep coma like last time :troll:

Staralfur said:
I wonder what's happening on board of the Sea Horse right now, is the ship also being attacked by the sea cucumbers? I wonder if the cannons would be enough to defend the ship, somehow I doubt it. Maybe it will be a good occasion for some Azan action :azan:

Well, Guts's armcannon has already proved that can take one of the big tentacles in one shoot. So it's pretty reasonable that an entire battery of ship cannons would deal a great damage to this thing. But if the crew is taken by surprise it's all over.

Schierke has already flooded a village and burned to the ground an entire port, so it's time for some more magic urban vandalism?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pjboom said:
Well, Guts's armcannon has already proved that can take one of the big tentacles in one shoot. So it's pretty reasonable that an entire battery of ship cannons would deal a great damage to this thing. But if the crew is taken by surprise it's all over.
I think you missed the panels at the bottom of Page 11 that show they're expanding or healing even after a consistent attack. It'll be more clear with a translation, I think.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I love how Guts cuts through the tentacles, like a hot knife through butter :guts: Also Guts has several cool poses in this one. Awesome Miura!

Finally an episode to satisfy my tentacle-fetish. Best bit: The double spread of the gang facing the squirming horde outside the tavern.

Walter said:
I think you missed the panels at the bottom of Page 11 that show they're expanding or healing even after a consistent attack. It'll be more clear with a translation, I think.

I thought they were only "appearing from the mist", like a dramatic effect. But now that you mention it is more interesting your way, seems a more hopeless scenery, perfect for Guts debating himself betwen sanity or mindless carnage.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Hmm, I don't know about that. He's obviously trying to hold on without it... and so far he's succeeding. No doubt the next episode will be a real challenge in that regard, but then again that might be the point of all this. Ever since he got the armor Guts has been unable to fight a tough battle without giving in to it (the battle against the Makara in volume 31 comes to mind), so this is a good opportunity to see whether he can still hold his own like in the old days. If not, well then that could have dire consequences. We'll see.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense. We've already seen Guts lose himself to the armor three times and the last time we heard from the Beast of Darkness it said it would return and consume him when he's lost his new companions, so it makes more sense for him to fight while containing it this time. Personally, I hope he can make it through this upcoming fight without giving into it.

Aazealh said:
It's also a chance for Serpico to shine and to prove to Guts that he doesn't always have to do everything alone, that he can rely on his friends instead of pushing himself beyond the limit (in a continuation of their previous team-ups, like against Daiba).

That would be excellent. :guts: I'm really hoping Azan gets mixed up in all this at some point.

To point out the obvious I'm sure we'll see more of the Pirates again. I'm really curious what the deal is with these sea cucumbers and the whole 'taking over' people. Does that mean the pirate crew were all tentacles like the villagers? Hopefully Isidro and the Pirate Captain have one last exchange. Azan too. :azan:

*Goes to re-examine past eps.*

Edit* Yeah, you never see below the waist when the pirates are on the scene. I'm just curious as to the Captain behavior. He's a tentacle, part of the sea cucumber(s) yet retains his own personality?

Edit** Just saw your post Walter. Correct me if I'm wrong. The Sea God hasn't been woken yet. Right? So, yea, what the heck's in the ship. :/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
To point out the obvious I'm sure we'll see more of the Pirates again. I'm really curious what the deal is with these sea cucumbers and the whole 'taking over' people. Does that mean the pirate crew were all tentacles like the villagers?
It doesn't appear The Boss and his crew were exactly like the villagers. The pirates retained their memories and personalities, whereas the villagers look and act like almost-identical drones.

Why the difference? We don't know yet, but I have two thoughts. It could be the close proximity or special ability of whatever is inside the pirate ship that made The Boss and his crew different. Or it could be that though they were transformed, it was a fairly recent occurance, so the alteration hasn't completely dominated them yet, as it seems to have for the villagers.

Or, to use Occam's Razor here, Miura just wanted to retain the pirate's antics because they're funny. :guts:

Top Bottom