Insomnia

Not the movie!

Uhhmm do any of you have problems sleeping??

For me, I can't sleep before 1 or 2 am, and I think it's part fault of my body clock conditioned to sleep at around then (from the time I passed 10th grade and was allowed to have the intahnetz), and part fault of either being on the laptop or in front of the TV. I wake up at around 6 like clockwork everyday and I'm a fairly heavy sleeper - you can kick me, and I won't wake up haha! But, I'm sure it's unhealthy to sleep for lesser hours than the usual 8, I presume.

What's your experience been?

I have a lot of left over/ backup or unused sleep hours that it takes me literally 5-10 seconds to go to sleep if I decide to or simply close my eyes. I did notice last month that when I'd overate, I'd fall asleep so easily so early that it got rid of my dark circles :guts:. Only down side to that was putting on 18 pounds in 6 weeks :rawr:

I've had this problem since I was a little kid. But mine is a little bit more extreme: sometimes, even if I spend the whole day performing physical and mental activities, I just can't fall asleep until it's around 8 AM. It only happens about once a week since I stopped drinking anything with caffeine. It just bothers me when I have something very important to do the next day, like a school test, otherwise I try to watch some movies or read something all night, and it's not that bad.

Oh, when I was in my late teens, I tried to fix it by drinking lots of wine before I tried to sleep. I don't recommend it. :ganishka:

X

Xem

IncantatioN, you are not alone, though my situation is probably a lot different from yours.

I've had this problem for about the last 2 months and I can say it's probably one of the most maddening things I've ever been through. Seriously, I have problems with drinking, etc, but insomnia takes the cake. At first I'd find myself falling asleep and my body will sometimes jolt/spasm and I'm instantly awake again. It's like my mind doesn't want me to sleep, it's really weird. Growing up I've never had problems sleeping, it's one of my most favorite things in the world, which makes it even more irritating. I want it so badly, but it rarely happens. Going through the day extremely tired is also very frustrating.... I can admit that some personal/relationship issues have been amidst, but for this to last this long seems unnatural. Even just lying still can be hard to do sometimes.

Looking for advice! :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I can admit that some personal/relationship issues have been amidst, but for this to last this long seems unnatural. Even just lying still can be hard to do sometimes.

Male depression often takes the form of insomnia, among other things.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have insomnia, but I always have trouble sleeping in this part of the summer, when it's at its hottest and there's always the feeling I could be doing something more exciting than sleeping.

To get to sleep during these times, I usually just play a movie or TV show I've seen before in the background while playing DS until I'm about to zonk out. Does the trick for me. The only trouble is in selecting what DVD to put on. I've tried it with The Wire recently, and it's WAY too engrossing to sleep to. Now, something like LOST ... perfect :iva:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I use to have it bad over the last few years. Lately I've been much better, but before it use to drive me crazy. I think it was like Aaz said, how depression and anxiety can cause sleep problems. Not that I was ever really depressed in the medical sense, but you know how one thing can cause problems with other things in your body (life). Now my lack of sleep is more due to staying up and playing games or watching tv. I have a bad habit of leaving the tv on while I'll sleep and it always wakes me up and I get sucked into episodes of forensic files all morning.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Delayed sleep phase. Not really the most troubling condition, but there was a point freshman year my circadian rhythms were completely out of sync with my class times which caused some complications. If you take a sleeping aid at your desired bed time for like 2 or 3 days you can correct it pretty easy. The hard part is maintaining the cycle on your own then. I'm just the kind of person who ignores everything beyond the walls of the room I'm in, so I really have trouble with sleeping so that I'm awake when everyone else is.

Everyday i try to go to sleep at 12 so i can wake up at 7.30 and go on with the stressfull day .... i usually lay on my bed for two hours before i even get sleepy so that leaves me with 5 hours sleep. Drinking milk helps me a lot , it relaxes me .

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I try laying down way earlier so as to hope I get tired enough to get at least 6 hours in. But on most nights I just end up wasting that extra time. It's so aggravating, over the counter sleeping aids don't do shit either. I've taken several of them and stayed up all night just the same, but usually during the day I'll get really fatigued so I basically quit using that crap. I need serious meds, I don't even care at this point. I'm ready to go to bed michael jackson if i must.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
i hate lying around hoping to get sleepy, such a waste of time, and then i get some giant depressing feeling if I just lie around, so i turn on my computer and watch a movie. part way through i get sleepy and pass out. (always happens :guts:)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Truder said:
i hate lying around hoping to get sleepy, such a waste of time, and then i get some giant depressing feeling if I just lie around, so i turn on my computer and watch a movie. part way through i get sleepy and pass out. (always happens :guts:)

Yea i do that too but I still get depressed because for example last night I unintentionally watched the film Anaconda in its entirety. I can't fall asleep during movies, once i start watching I will keep watching as long as its on, no matter how bad it is.

X

Xem

I've been trying the over-the-counter sleep aids and they do seem to help me sleep for ~3-5 hours a day but, like Oburi said, then I'm fatigued all day long. Two nights ago it got really bad because I took one and was right about to fall asleep when I got an emergency call and almost wasn't able to help because of how tired I was. Then afterward I didn't sleep at all and was still fatigued all day from the meds.

Since this started back near the end of May I also tend to have really lucid dreams with or without medication, and not fun ones either... nightmares.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Take two shots of some alcohol one after the other. If you're someone of normal weight, within 30 minutes you'll want to pass out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Self-medication isn't going to help. Go see a professional.

As for activities that lead to sleep, I recommend playing certain NDS games in bed. Games like Picross or the Phoenix Wright series for example, they have a lulling soundtrack that makes me feel asleep even when I'm trying to stay awake.

Walter said:
Take two shots of some alcohol one after the other. If you're someone of normal weight, within 30 minutes you'll want to pass out.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this. Alcohol fucks up your sleep pretty good if you already have trouble sleeping, I can assure you. It didn't help me one bit.

It's actually been a while since I had insomnia (the last time was maybe a week before this thread was made). Basically, I started working out like a madman lately and dropped the fucking caffeine. I run about 30 minutes a day, eat fruits, don't eat chocolate and all that crap. A healthier lifestyle even helped me clear my mind, wash my sins away, etc.

And I wasn't sure if I should mention this in order to respect his privacy, but the last time I had insomnia was when I told Aaz about it one terrible sleepless morning. I've been cured ever since. Maybe you should all try PMing him about it!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
And I wasn't sure if I should mention this in order to respect his privacy, but the last time I had insomnia was when I told Aaz about it one terrible sleepless morning. I've been cured ever since. Maybe you should all try PMing him about it!

You heard him guys, I've got the fucking healing touch, that's right! And I don't even need to touch anything! Healing sessions available to all Premium Members starting today!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I certainly wouldn't recommend this. Alcohol fucks up your sleep pretty good if you already have trouble sleeping, I can assure you. It didn't help me one bit.
It always works for me :farnese:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:

It's actually been a while since I had insomnia (the last time was maybe a week before this thread was made). Basically, I started working out like a madman lately and dropped the fucking caffeine. I run about 30 minutes a day, eat fruits, don't eat chocolate and all that crap. A healthier lifestyle even helped me clear my mind, wash my sins away, etc.

I do recommend working out even for 30 minutes, it helps. And if you don't eat chocolate at least eat some dark chocolate which is not so saturated with sugars and other high calorie ingredients. I try the 70% cacao ones, even the doctor says that in moderation is good for ya.

Sometimes it's just a mentality. I stopped putting sleep on a pedestal. Sleep isn't that important. I'll just lay here for 7 hours. That'll be good enough for me. I'll make it through tomorrow. Sometimes that's all you need to think. And sometimes that's what you get. Be comfy and enjoy the time you get to lay down. Don't feel like you need to be unconscious or else up and doing something. That's what defeats you.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I recently got a prescription for clonazepam.

All i can say is...

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No more insomnia for me. I'm out cold and wake up nice and refreshed.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
The worst thing you can do is just lay there and do nothing. If you can't go to sleep, then get up and read or watch TV. Doing those things will help you go to sleep...eventually.

Top Bottom