Episode 315

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
The feeling I get about her is that she's patiently packing the info away for when it will become better understood (e.g., she isn't delving into Guts' past despite being confused) or relevant to what the crew's trying to do...

Same here. In fact, revealing information on a need-to-know basis is exactly how I've been thinking of it. :guts: What I find interesting about it is that despite still being a kid she basically assumes she knows better than anyone else (rightly so?).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Aazealh said:
In her defense, the other characters have kept their share of secrets as well.
I would love to see Isidro find out that his Hero, "the hundred man slayer" is no other than Guts! :isidro:

Truder said:
I would love to see Isidro find out that his Hero, "the hundred man slayer" is no other than Guts! :isidro:
Haha that's something I've been looking forward to too :serpico: "Amazing *boiling*! why the hell didn't you us tell us earlier!!" (or something like that... :schierke:)
I wonder if they'll turn to Casca to know stuff, since Guts himself doesn't open up much.

Truder

Lara Skadi said:
Haha that's something I've been looking forward to too :serpico: "Amazing *boiling*! why the hell didn't you us tell us earlier!!" (or something like that... :schierke:)
I wonder if they'll turn to Casca to know stuff, since Guts himself doesn't open up much.
That sounds very interesting, if Casca doesn't become some sort of emo from being brought back(i hope not), maybe she will be bombarded with questions by Isidro. And that means talk of the good ol days. :guts:/ :sad: (emotions will rampage in Guts)

When Casca comes back, I could see Guts breaking down more so than Casca. But somehow or another I think Casca would do just the same and apologize for being absent from Guts struggles. More so, that kinda situation would be a testament to their bond. But who knows. I have replayed the possibilities of the situation (Casca's awaking) in my head so many times, I wonder if I'll ever be able to handle it actually happening.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
When Casca comes back...
Truder said:
That sounds very interesting, if Casca doesn't become some sort of emo...
Lara Skadi said:
I wonder if they'll turn to Casca to know stuff ...

I was about to post my thoughts, but then I remembered I've posted them many times already. I counted 10 threads in the first 5 pages of Speculation Nation that deal with the same general issue of "What will Casca be like after she awakens?" The best of which, IMO, is a recent one made by Puella: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10572.0

I recommend you guys read stuff in the older threads, because this subject has been bounced around for more than a decade and there's a treasure trove of good (and bad...) posts throughout this forum. But since historically people don't read older threads, I'll repost what I wrote there on what I think Casca's state-of-mind will be, and why:

Walter said:
...I believe she'll retain parts of her memory. There's been quite a bit of time spent in the last few years developing the relationship of Casca and Farnese, and also about the consequences of Guts' actions toward Casca in his weaker moments. I think it'd be more interesting if those actions carried consequences over to the NEW Casca, rather than just have her begin as a blank state.

However, I completely agree that it would make a fascinating, yet painful crossroad for Guts if she retains nothing -- as you say, he would have to choose whether to bring her up to speed or let her be in peace. I tend to think he would bring her into his world and explain it all, because I think he desperately needs a partner in coping with all that's happened in order to tame the Beast, not just an oblivious companion from a different time in his life.

However it occurs, whatever happens, Casca's awakening is sure to be one of the most critical moments in the series as far as character development goes. Miura's been keeping this one close to the readers' attentions for years now, constantly reminding us how important she is to Guts. That he's kept her around this long means there's likely something special in store for the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Berserk won't be in YA #17 (released on August 27), but Miura will be the subject of the first episode of some new study project by Nico Nicholson that will be featured in that issue. So we might get a glimpse of his working process.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Aazealh said:
Berserk won't be in YA #17 (released on August 27), but Miura will be the subject of the first episode of some new study project by Nico Nicholson that will be featured in that issue. So we might get a glimpse of his working process.

That sounds interesting indeed. Hopefully, there will be some good pictures along with the article. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
That sounds interesting indeed. Hopefully, there will be some good pictures along with the article. :guts:

Given Nico Nicholson's usual style I think it's likely to be in the form of small, humorous comic strips.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Miura will be the subject of the first episode of some new study project by Nico Nicholson that will be featured in that issue. So we might get a glimpse of his working process.
That's very cool, and a great idea to profile mangaka in a way that's informative and comical. I feel like I can already see some of the panels, possibly joking about deadline headaches and the painstaking detail he puts into each episode :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

That sounds pretty damn cool. Thanks for the heads up, Aazealh!

everymonday

If you understand this pic...
Is there any physical connection between giant snails and sea cucumbers on the island? I think the god will be something like Ganishka.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
everymonday said:
I think the god will be something like Ganishka.
By that I take it you mean Ganishka's fog form? Something immaterial? Yeah it's something we'd considered before.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
everymonday said:
Is there any physical connection between giant snails and sea cucumbers on the island?

The sea cucumbers come out of the snails' mouths.

Walter said:
By that I take it you mean Ganishka's fog form?

I think he means his final form.

Truder

For the sea god to come out there needs to be a sacrifice. So does that mean someone needs to die for the story to progress? because I think Isma fits the bill for the 'being sacrificed' role.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Truder said:
For the sea god to come out there needs to be a sacrifice. So does that mean someone needs to die for the story to progress? because I think Isma fits the bill for the 'being sacrificed' role.
She ain't gonna die. I can imagine her *almost* dying though. Remember, there needs to be merrows!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
For the sea god to come out there needs to be a sacrifice.

We don't know what the ceremony entails yet, nor whether there will be a ceremony at all if Guts slaughters everything.

Truder said:
I think Isma fits the bill for the 'being sacrificed' role.

Something that could be interesting: if a merrow were needed to break the ancient merrow spell keeping the Sea God imprisoned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Staralfur said:
On the other hand it would be pretty disappointing if the ceremony didn't take place at all.

Depends, the group could venture in the cave to slay the Sea God even without a ceremony.

All right, but if the point of the ceremony is the rebirth of the Sea God, maybe there is no Sea God to slay yet. What if the malignant presence that Shierke and Isma felt in the cave was only the slugs?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Staralfur said:
All right, but if the point of the ceremony is the rebirth of the Sea God, maybe there is no Sea God to slay yet.

I don't think you should take the word "rebirth" too literally here. See what Isma said in episode 313: "Finally, the merrows managed to confine the Sea God in this island. [...] But the power of the Sea God is still enormous."

Nowhere is it mentioned that the Sea God is actually dead, and since its power remained enormous even after its defeat it is obviously still alive in some capacity. To quote an expert on the subject: "that is not dead which can eternal lie." :slan:

Staralfur said:
What if the malignant presence that Schierke and Isma felt in the cave was only the slugs?

That's unlikely. For years the Sea God was still powerful enough to send out its minions during full moons, as related by Isma. But after the worlds merged she felt a definite change on the island, a strange atmosphere in the sea and so on. Not to mention that the villagers were all devoured and transformed. This speaks to me of a resurgence of the Sea God's power.

Furthermore, let's consider the possible extent of said power for a moment. Guts is already going all out against the slugs, and we're not sure yet he'll be able to triumph, nor if that fight will have consequences for him. The next question is how strong is the Sea God itself compared to its "limbs"? Is it defenseless without them? Is it far more powerful? If so, then being in a diminished state would be a golden opportunity for our heroes. Maybe they couldn't possibly destroy it if it were free. That is, assuming it can be destroyed in the first place. The merrows couldn't do it.

Something else to think about: is the Sea God fully physically present in the world or does it dwell deeper, astrally-speaking? If so then it might be more of a task for Schierke to seal it away from the world. The bottom line is that there are many possibilities for how that encounter could go and that a character's death is not an absolute necessity.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
flagawax said:
..... And ...in this break ... where is "Azan" :azan: .... I don't notice him ...

He's currently on Roderick's ship with the rest of the crew. I'm sure he'll show himself eventually, though. Just you wait. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nico Nicholson's little strips about Miura look both funny and interesting, though most of the information seems to be old news so far (Kouji Mori was his schoolmate, he based the original prominent members of the Band of the Falcon on his highschool friends, his favorite manga are The Rose of Versailles and Hokuto no Ken and they inspired Berserk, etc.).

The new YA also has a confirmation that volume 35 is coming out on September 29, however Berserk will not be present in YA #18 (released on September 10), so I'm not sure what that entails regarding the volume... Either episode 316 will be in YA #19 (released on September 24) and 5 days later in the volume, or the volume will only have 9 episodes. Which would suck so much I don't even want to think about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fucking awesome dude. The comic looks hilarious, despite the repeated information. Seeing comic Miura in the lower-left panel brought a smile to my face :guts: I actually didn't know/remember that one of Miura's favorite manga was Rose of Versailles, a series I know next to nothing about.

I kind of wish it went into more in-depth stuff, instead of skirting around briefly on funny incidents. I think this interview format has potential to be very insightful, but also potential to be merely superfluous.

Top Bottom