Episode 315

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I kind of wish it went into more in-depth stuff, instead of skirting around briefly on funny incidents. I think this interview format has potential to be very insightful, but also potential to be merely superfluous.

I'll tell you more once I get my copy of YA, but I still think we might learn some cool stuff. Regardless, that picture of Oscar & Kenshiro clasping hands is just amazing. :void:

EDIT: By the way, the coverage of Miura will continue in YA's next issue, #18 (it'll be about how he creates storyboards apparently)! And Nico Nicholson is a she. :farnese:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about the story Isma told about the merrows waging war against the Sea God. It hints at a whole unknown history of astral conflicts that until now, I didn't think existed. While in the Qliphoth, Schierke said astral creatures were segregated into regions based on their od affinity. Creatures of light and creatures of darkness each gather in their own similar regions.

But what Isma described was a full-on war between these two opposing forces, which implies that though the astral world is vast, there are some overlapping regions, and the two forces can come into violent conflict. Clearly there's more going on in the astral world than just spirits of common affinity high-fiving each other in their respective realms.

And if that space overlaps, it made me think about what else might be shared that was previously thought to be separated. The concept of "evil" in the astral world, for example. We've tended to relegate "evil" as a term in Berserk to specifically the affairs of the God Hand and the Idea of Evil. But Isma's description of the Sea God made me question that distinction. It devoured humans and almost killed off all life in the sea at one point. Furthermore, it taints creatures and turns them into underlings -- something that until now has been done only by evil creatures such as apostles, ghosts, incubi, etc.

So maybe there's more in common than not when it comes to evil in the Berserk world.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Since I'm relatively new to SK.net, I have finally gone through some of the older episode discussion, and couldn't but help but laugh at this;

Griffith said:
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I don't think they'll be reaching Elfhelm by the end of this episode. As a matter of fact, we might very well be at the start of a 5+ volume "At Sea" arc; they'll get into trouble at sea, get lost, crash land on mysterous islands, and have more adventures. Enjoy the boat ride, I know I'm looking forward to a long, hard journey. =)

It seemed funny in so many ways reading this now. Some people thought that Guts was going to be in a Coma-like state and wake up in Elfhelm conveniently. (after the fight with Ganishka)
but, i was looking forward to some adventures at sea like Griffith, but since then I have changed my mind and now wish for Elfhelm. :puck:
damn you Griffith!! :mozgus: giving Miura ideas like that :troll:

but that made me wonder... who has made the biggest guess here? (I hope to find it when I look through older discussions)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, still no Berserk in YA #19, so we can safely assume volume 35 won't contain episode 316. I wonder if some other content will replace it (Some appendices? New material inserted in the older episodes?) or if it'll just have 9 episodes. The price is the same than for previous volumes, that much is sure.

Walter said:
Clearly there's more going on in the astral world than just spirits of common affinity high-fiving each other in their respective realms.

Yeah, it adds a historical and "political" depth to the astral world. It could lead to very interesting developments, especially when it comes to the relationship between astral beings and humans. There must be a loaded history there.

Walter said:
We've tended to relegate "evil" as a term in Berserk to specifically the affairs of the God Hand and the Idea of Evil. But Isma's description of the Sea God made me question that distinction. It devoured humans and almost killed off all life in the sea at one point. Furthermore, it taints creatures and turns them into underlings -- something that until now has been done only by evil creatures such as apostles, ghosts, incubi, etc.

We've had evidence of a connexion between the God Hand and evil astral beings before. Case in point: Slan in the Qliphoth calling forth ogres & trolls to fight the Skull Knight and referring to them as her "children". As for lesser evil beings, while it's true specters are human in nature, I don't think incubi are (and we even see some wandering around in the Qliphoth, together with the other weird things). So to me this isn't anything new, and it's not surprising that a creature like the Sea God exists. I hope there'll be many more!

Speaking of the Sea God, I've been wondering for a while if our heroes won't be able to gain something from their future encounter with the monster. Whether by being exposed to its power (plunging the DS in its heart :troll:) or looting some body parts to fashion new equipment out of them :ganishka: (remember that Serpico's sword is made from feathers). Or even receiving some equipment from a group of merrows if they end up meeting one. Just random thoughts.

Truder said:
that made me wonder... who has made the biggest guess here? (I hope to find it when I look through older discussions)

I think I got some pretty good ones. Not sure about the "biggest" though.

Wow, I'm really bummed about the possibility that we are dropping down to 9 EPISODES a volume. That's really saddening.

EDIT: When will I learn

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Wow, I'm really bummed about the possibility that we are dropping down to 9 EPISODES a volume. That's really saddening.

Well yeah, but let's not jump to conclusions here, we don't know all the details yet.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
It seemed funny in so many ways reading this now. Some people thought that Guts was going to be in a Coma-like state and wake up in Elfhelm conveniently. (after the fight with Ganishka)
but, i was looking forward to some adventures at sea like Griffith, but since then I have changed my mind and now wish for Elfhelm. :puck:
damn you Griffith!! :mozgus: giving Miura ideas like that :troll:

but that made me wonder... who has made the biggest guess here? (I hope to find it when I look through older discussions)

It's funny reading that now, especially since it was so long ago (2006, and the adventure at sea doesn't even feel half done). Sparnage said in that thread that three years would test his patience, and I guess it did. Anyway, I'm just happy I had the right mindset going in, that's really all there is to it.

Aazealh said:
I think I got some pretty good ones. Not sure about the "biggest" though.

Yeah, I'm also not sure about a "biggest" guess, the simplest guess is usually the correct one. Though I consider your "Zodd on the rocks" observation one of the biggest catches, anyway.

Aazealh said:
Well yeah, but let's not jump to conclusions here, we don't know all the details yet.

Yeah, it could just be a one time thing, or, who knows, maybe there will be a lot of extra content added as you said. Otherwise, my dream scenario would be for the World File to be thrown in the back there, forcing its translation! :zodd:

Maybe episode 83? :troll:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Vol. 14 has the Berserk Prototype in it? Zing! That's cool. I don't have that volume yet. I'm almost there...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
That is fantastic news. However, that means that there's no way Volume 35 will have 10 episodes. :sad:

Unless episode 316 is released in the volume before being in the magazine, which wouldn't make much sense except as a crazy incentive to get people to buy it (trying to counter piracy?). Not very likely though, as I think they'd have advertized it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeeeeee haw! :guts:

Walter said:
That is fantastic news. However, that means that there's no way Volume 35 will have 10 episodes. :sad:

Character & World guide! Character & World guide! :ubik:

So, let's start the predictions. Anyone think Farnese is going to try her hand at Beast wrangling if Schierke can't get to them (which I think is odd since she can leave her body)?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So, let's start the predictions. Anyone think Farnese is going to try her hand at Beast wrangling if Schierke can't get to them (which I think is odd since she can leave her body)?
Oh my god, I don't even want to think about such a possibility. :magni: It would be incredibly scary for both of them... Schierke almost lost her shit, so I can only see bad things for Farnese if she attempted it.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Griffith said:

It definitely seems like she is gaining back some of her confidence and might be willing to give it a go, but will she be up to the overwhelming task? I know I'd like to see the outcome!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Wow. I never thought of that either. That would be pretty awesome. Poor Farnese!

I'm pretty sure it had been brought up before. But I'm with Walter and Jesterhead anyway, I don't think Farnese is ready for it. To reiterate what I've said previously, I believe this time things will be different because of what transpired in episode 290. Maybe that'll make things easier for whoever will attempt to bring him back to his senses.

You guys made my entire day!!!! New Berserk episode in less than 20 days.
How cool would it be if Miura throws us a Midland Worldmap in vol 35 !!!!!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Great news! I would love it if episode 316 ended up in Vol. 35, but it's probably not very likely. Like Aaz said, they would have announced it.

Griffith said:
Character & World guide! Character & World guide! :ubik:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :guts:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I got internet back! :guts:
It was a miserable 3 weeks, but I'm glad to come back and hear that a new episode comes out on October 8. :ubik:

What a surprise, only three weeks left! :isidro: Nothing's like good ol' next episode's release date! =) And I also think that Farnese would try something but it's just not gonna work, so I hope Schierke will save the day.

Top Bottom