Episode 315

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
The Characters & World guide we got in YA? I'd rather not have that replace an episode in a volume honestly.

To be honest, I don't remember the Characters & World Guide in Young Animal. I probably didn't have a subscription to the magazine at that point. I was thinking more along the lines of new material created by Miura specifically for Vol. 35. Possibly some more info on how he developed his characters and the world of Berserk. Probably won't happen, though. :sad:

Of course, this is only if episode 316 isn't in the volume. Having that episode included would be preferable to just about anything at this point.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
To be honest, I don't remember the Characters & World Guide in Young Animal. I probably didn't have a subscription to the magazine at that point. I was thinking more along the lines of new material created by Miura specifically for Vol. 35. Possibly some more info on how he developed his characters and the world of Berserk. Probably won't happen, though. :sad:

Of course, this is only if episode 316 isn't in the volume. Having that episode included would be preferable to just about anything at this point.
It was included in the special 20th anniversary of Berserk issue that featured ep 307, showing off Falconia. It had some cool stuff, but certainly nothing new, and really, a lot of the artifacts/characters it included seemed arbitrary to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
The Characters & World guide we got in YA? I'd rather not have that replace an episode in a volume honestly.

Agreed, though if it wouldn't be replacing an episode, but replacing nothing, then I'd gladly take it. =)

Best case scenario would of course be Miura doing a new episode exclusively for the volume, however unlikely.

Walter said:
It was included in the special 20th anniversary of Berserk issue that featured ep 307, showing off Falconia. It had some cool stuff, but certainly nothing new, and really, a lot of the artifacts/characters it included seemed arbitrary to me.

I thought it looked more comprehensive than just arbitrary. I'm sure it was missing things and otherwise had its flaws, but that's looking a gift horse in the mouth. In any case, I'd love to have it translated, it'd be like a pocket Berserk Encyclopedia. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I thought it looked more comprehensive than just arbitrary.
I think we've had a similar conversation before, but we disagreed categorically on the issue. My rationale is that by including such arbitrary minutia, it de-emphasizes the legitimately important entries.

For example, it's got Foss' daughter, Valancia (guy Guts beat at the tournament in volume 9), Barbo (the guy Wyald killed in volume 11 flashback), the girl Wyald killed in vol 11, a random knight Raban talked to in volume 17, that random Kushan general Griffith killed in volume 22 ... all buried alongside entries about Flora, Ganishka etc.

Truly, the cast it features IS arbitrary. Why, for example, does the knight in vol 17 get an entry and not the farmer who tells Guts et al about the Trolls in Volume 23? Hannah made the cut, but not her brother. Rosine's parents are in there, but not the haunted tree in volume 14, or the bandits who kidnapped Jill.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget the crabs. Yes, it features an entry on crabs.

Honestly, I'd like a much higher quality official guide, and not this amateurish mess.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
It was included in the special 20th anniversary of Berserk issue that featured ep 307, showing off Falconia.

No wonder I don't remember it. I started my subscription two issues afterwards. I tried back ordering the 20th anniversary issue and the one after, but they were both sold out. That'll teach me. I should be around for the 30th anniversary, though.

Walter said:
Honestly, I'd like a much higher quality official guide, and not this amateurish mess.

That's kind of what I was hoping for. Something professional done by Miura exclusively for Vol. 35. I'm still holding out hope for episode 316, but my gut tells me we may get nothing extra whatsoever the more I think about it. :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Agreed, though if it wouldn't be replacing an episode, but replacing nothing, then I'd gladly take it. =)

Honestly I wouldn't be enthusiastic even if it were that or nothing, but that's just me. It was cool as a bonus in YA but wasn't without problems. Two more things: that appendix was in color and I have some doubts about Hakusensha's willingness to transpose that to a volume. More importantly, volume 35 will be 236 pages (like volumes 25, 26, 27, 28), less than what we've been getting recently (252 pages for volume 34, 244 for volume 33), yet the Characters & World guide is 34 pages long not counting the cover, so longer than any episode ever released.

For reference, counting only the episodes themselves we have 216 pages of material in volume 34 with 10 episodes and 196 pages of material in volume 35 with 9 episodes. And now for an even more interesting fact: volume 31 had 196 pages of material with 10 episodes, and volume 30 had 194 pages. Volume 24 might have had even less. :rakshas:

P.S. On a side note, Nico Nicholson's third and final comic strip about Miura will be in this week's issue of YA (#19). In it she'll present her own manga (still unpublished) to Miura and get his opinion on it.

Griffith

Walter said:
I think we've had a similar conversation before, but we disagreed categorically on the issue. My rationale is that by including such arbitrary minutia, it de-emphasizes the legitimately important entries.

For example, it's got Foss' daughter, Valancia (guy Guts beat at the tournament in volume 9), Barbo (the guy Wyald killed in volume 11 flashback), the girl Wyald killed in vol 11, a random knight Raban talked to in volume 17, that random Kushan general Griffith killed in volume 22 ... all buried alongside entries about Flora, Ganishka etc.

I don't recall us discussing it, though I do disagree that the Character & World guide goes past the point of diminishing returns when it comes to information, quite the contrary (and it seems we have some common ground there). As a matter of fact, those who study it carefully would be able to sharpin' up quite a bit for Aazealh's challenging Berserk Quiz, it even has such essential information as who Gerico is (that's gotta count for something)!

Walter said:
Truly, the cast it features IS arbitrary. Why, for example, does the knight in vol 17 get an entry and not the farmer who tells Guts et al about the Trolls in Volume 23? Hannah made the cut, but not her brother. Rosine's parents are in there, but not the haunted tree in volume 14, or the bandits who kidnapped Jill.

Unforgivable omissions, to be sure, but it's already going above and beyond the call of duty (arguably to its detriment), so I will attempt to rationalize those absences (disclaimer: just for fun, take it in the spirit its intended =). Raban's lieutenant had a larger speaking role, is tied to a recurring character and Midland's hierarchy, it's plausible with Miura's memory and recent callbacks that he could recur himself. Hannah is similarly more significant than her brother. The haunted tree is one of many possessed enemies, and like the bandits (to which there is already reference among the bugs), just fodder. Rosine's parents, on the other hand, have thematic importance to a major character in that story arc. In this way, it's actually biased toward significant information, as you prefer!

Seriously though, my point is I'm not penalizing it too much for doing more than enough, albeit unevenly.

Walter said:
Oh yeah, and lets not forget the crabs. Yes, it features an entry on crabs.

I think that's why I'm defending the stupid thing! I just get a kick out of it, and it does what it's supposed to (though I don't think it's meant for us in particular); I mean, where would you draw the line, no schnoz!? Blasphemy. =)

Walter said:

Of course, I'd settle for a comprehensive list of romanized names, but the Berserk Character & World guide shouldn't be looked at too harshly for what it is, a fun little companion for Berserk fans, well short of perfection. Besides, that's what the Encyclopedia is for. :slan:

Aazealh said:
Honestly I wouldn't be enthusiastic even if it were that or nothing, but that's just me. It was cool as a bonus in YA but wasn't without problems. Two more things: that appendix was in color and I have some doubts about Hakusensha's willingness to transpose that to a volume. More importantly, volume 35 will be 236 pages (like volumes 25, 26, 27, 28), less than what we've been getting recently (252 pages for volume 34, 244 for volume 33), yet the Characters & World guide is 34 pages long not counting the cover, so longer than any episode ever released.

For reference, counting only the episodes themselves we have 216 pages of material in volume 34 with 10 episodes and 196 pages of material in volume 35 with 9 episodes. And now for an even more interesting fact: volume 31 had 196 pages of material with 10 episodes, and volume 30 had 194 pages. Volume 24 might have had even less. :rakshas:

Well, I always thought this debate was academic anyway, but I'd love for them to include something like that one day, or just that complete list of names. Anyway, it's nice to know that despite getting one less episode in the volume, we're technically not getting less content than ever before. Still, nothing to like about this 9 episode precedent, hopefully just an isolated incident like volume 14. Here's to 10 in volume 36.

Aazealh said:
P.S. On a side note, Nico Nicholson's third and final comic strip about Miura will be in this week's issue of YA (#19). In it she'll present her own manga (still unpublished) to Miura and get his opinion on it.

Looking forward to that now as well.

Back to 316 speculation: what will the consequences of all this be? The past couple of times Guts has used the armor, the results and aftermath have been similar, will this follow that trend, or will the toll on his allies and his body be much more significant, and perhaps permanent?

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Griffith said:
Back to 316 speculation: what will the consequences of all this be? The past couple of times Guts has used the armor, the results and aftermath have been similar, will this follow that trend, or will the toll on his allies and his body be much more significant, and perhaps permanent?

I think it is about time we see something different. The last few times he has used the armor, he has been increasingly closer to striking one of his new companions (and increasingly frightening for me, as the reader!), hell, last time he was putting the squeeze on Casca and Farnese when he assumed he had control over himself, he lost it after mere seconds of thinking about fighting. Like you said, the last few times the aftermath have been similar, I think this might be the time for a new outcome. Either:

In episode 290 it appears that Guts has "tamed" the beast, so one outcome might be Guts retaining control over himself right from the get go. We see the Beasts chains rattling a little bit, but no indications of that side taking over with intent to harm his gang. Perhaps we'll see another monologue from Guts?

Or, Guts losses it and finally kills/hurts a friend. If his conversation with himself in episode 290 was just deceit from the Beast, then I think that his friends are in big trouble. Schierke is not around to assist Guts, and I don't think Farnese is up to the task (though it doesn't mean she won't give it a shot!), so whats left? I suppose Serpico would stand up to Guts if it came down to it. Though since Guts has defeated him twice with the odds stacked against him and without using the armor, I can't see Serpico lasting very long.

I hope this is the major issue addressed in episode 316!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I think we're finally going to see someone get hurt, or worse. I believe the fever dream where the Beast tells Guts that once his companions are dead there will be nothing to keep him in check was foreshadowing what we're seeing right now. At the time I thought that maybe it was alluding to a possibility in the far off future which may or may not have come to pass, but now I'm starting to think something terrible is going to happen. Aside from the effects on his own body, there haven't been any external consequences of succumbing to the armor. It's about time somebody else got hurt. The question is, what would that do to Guts' soul? Aside from the wear and tear of using the armor, he's been in relatively good spirits compared to the Black Swordsman and Conviction arcs. If he loses a comrade or causes pain to them in some way, I can see him falling into a major depression or temporarily losing himself to the Beast (I think the latter is pretty unlikely at this point, but I've been wrong before and Miura is full of surprises).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

What if they're not as bad as the last few times?

Jesterhead said:
In episode 290 it appears that Guts has "tamed" the beast, so one outcome might be Guts retaining control over himself right from the get go.

The Beast of Darkness is chained, not tamed. There's a difference.

Jesterhead said:
If his conversation with himself in episode 290 was just deceit from the Beast, then I think that his friends are in big trouble.

I don't see how it could possibly be deceit, since it's essentially a discussion he had with himself and that he didn't remember when he woke up.

Rhombaad said:
I believe the fever dream where the Beast tells Guts that once his companions are dead there will be nothing to keep him in check was foreshadowing what we're seeing right now.

I didn't notice Guts' companions had died.

Rhombaad said:
If he loses a comrade or causes pain to them in some way, I can see him falling into a major depression or temporarily losing himself to the Beast (I think the latter is pretty unlikely at this point, but I've been wrong before and Miura is full of surprises).

There's a problem then, because the Beast of Darkness taking permanent control is what it was referring to in that dream.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I didn't notice Guts' companions had died.

I probably shouldn't have said "what we're seeing right now," because none of his companions are dead. It's probably a stretch anyway, because the Beast is alluding to all of his companions dying, not just one of them, and who knows if any of them are going to die in the upcoming battle.

Aazealh said:
There's a problem then, because the Beast of Darkness taking permanent control is what it was referring to in that dream.

Yeah, that's true. I'll admit, my speculation and backing evidence is pretty thin. I was just writing down my flow of thoughts at the moment.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Jesterhead said:
Or, Guts losses it and finally kills/hurts a friend.
If Guts 'hurts' you under the beasts influence, i'm pretty sure you are dead. :troll:

I think Roderick's crewmen are in for a horrible death though, but no main character fatalities.. yet :beast:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'm still hoping for another "sane Guts" Berserker session. That would probably take more mental teamwork with Schierke though.

From where the kids are standing, do you think that's good enough of a proximity for Schierke to reach in and save Guts? Isidro can protect her.

That reminds me. I think it's about time for Isidro to be a brave knight for Schierke. Think about it. Even though the kids are closer to the rest of the gang, they are still separated. What's to stop one of the Sea God's monster-extensions from attacking them? It's hero time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
From where the kids are standing, do you think that's good enough of a proximity for Schierke to reach in and save Guts?
All we have to go on is what Schierke says here in 315:

Schierke: ...No!!
Schierke: Wait!!
Schierke: Wait at least until I arrive there...!!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Volume 35 features a color illustration of Isma!
YES! I knew it! Why is this the first art of Isma outside of some silly 4chan draw requests though? Straight from Miura is the best, but there's NOTHING from the Japanese fandom. You'd think they'd jump all over her.

Griffith

BiQ-- said:
I'm now suspecting that Isma will join the group for a good while...

It's definitely a positive indicator.

Gobolatula said:
The blue hair is an interesting choice. For some reason I imagined her as a redhead. Great choice though!

I thought blonde, while we're on the subject. :carcus:

Aazealh said:
Volume 35 features a color illustration of Isma!

Wow, that's so cool! Ever since she was first introduced, I've been curious as to how Miura imagined her as far as hair color and the like goes. I love his choice of hair/eye color and skin tone.

Like Gobolatula, I imagined her as a redhead. But that's probably because of Disney's Little Mermaid more than anything. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, but I don't see her hair as much blue as "sea green" :slan:

I wonder what's on the other side of the poster though? And how they managed to fill the rest of the pages.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Awesome, but I don't see her hair as much blue as "sea green" :slan:

I wonder what's on the other side of the poster though? And how they managed to fill the rest of the pages.
Think it might be some sort of anime info? The commercials do start on the same day it's being released... or maybe 20 MINIPOSTERS

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Think it might be some sort of anime info? The commercials do start on the same day it's being released... or maybe 20 MINIPOSTERS
Hehe, good point, however the cover just says something about reading Young Animal for more info, as far as I can read it.

Griffith

Judging from Aaz's page counting, they likely just had 20 fewer pages.

Aazealh said:
More importantly, volume 35 will be 236 pages (like volumes 25, 26, 27, 28), less than what we've been getting recently (252 pages for volume 34, 244 for volume 33)

Aazealh said:
For reference, counting only the episodes themselves we have 216 pages of material in volume 34 with 10 episodes and 196 pages of material in volume 35 with 9 episodes.

Top Bottom