Isma's fate

What will eventually become of Isma once our heroes will be done with the island?

• She will join the group as a new member.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • She'll temporarily accompany our friends on the Sea Horse and travel with them to Elfhelm (or some p

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • She will stay alone on the island, living her life quietly and maybe waiting for her mother to come

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Her people will show up and she will be reunited with them.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • She will meet an untimely demise.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Something else (specify).

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Isma is a sympathetic character, but the island she's lived on all her life is now seriously compromised by the Sea God. Even if it is defeated without wreaking more havoc than it already has, she will now be completely alone there. What do you think will become of her?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
She probably plays a key role in the defeat of the Sea God and her people returning to the island, where my guess would be she stays, like many of the "regional" main supporting characters to come and go when their section of the story was over (Jill, Luca, Jerome, Morgan, etc). If she did end up going with them it would add an interesting triangle dynamic to the Isidro/Schierke relationship, though that boat's already pretty crowded.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Personally I'm thinking she'll end up as Calamari, but most likly...

Griffith said:
She probably plays a key role in the defeat of the Sea God and her people returning to the island, where my guess would be she stays, like many of the "regional" main supporting characters to come and go when their section of the story was over (Jill, Luca, Jerome, Morgan, etc).

Griffith said:
She probably plays a key role in the defeat of the Sea God and her people returning to the island, where my guess would be she stays, like many of the "regional" main supporting characters to come and go when their section of the story was over (Jill, Luca, Jerome, Morgan, etc).
Idk... she was pretty enthusiastic about meeting new people and as said before... the island will be over :/ she's used to living alone, but that may be a chance for her to make friends.
Personally, even though I liked her, I don't want her to join. For me, more people means less focus on individual characters, so..

Honestly the thought off the top of my head when it comes to where Isma stand is, I think she is linked the Sea God. I hate to second guess what is going to happen but I feel she is in a round about way a enemy. I don't see her being a regular cast member, so I can definitely say I don't see her sticking around longer than this island incident. Like a few have already said, much like Jill, Luca, and others she is just a element of this story. She at the moment is too mysterious to guess her fate.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Honestly the thought off the top of my head when it comes to where Isma stand is, I think she is linked the Sea God. I hate to second guess what is going to happen but I feel she is in a round about way a enemy.

Haha man, that's so unlikely I didn't even think to include it in the poll. :void:

My guess is we wont know what will happen to her, maybe the group gets to the boat and start sailing off while she somehow stop the sea god. This could lead to her demise or something else, maybe they will see her again after Elfhelm.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
As much as I'd like her to come along, I voted with the choice I thought would be more likely to happen: Her being reunited with her kin. It seems like a very plausible scenario, more so than the others.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:

This. Given Miura's history with supporting characters in the various chapters, I don't think Isma will be any different. I'm not opposed to her joining the crew and I think she would be an intersting addition to the team, especially if she has abilities we haven't seen her display yet, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
She's seemed perfectly content living on her own, then again I wouldn't sob my life story to complete strangers either. I'd say it's a stretch to believe that her people would appear suddenly, and just because someone finds Guts and co. fascinating doesn't mean they're going to tag along. Though she's already got a more unusual life than Isidro, so she wouldn't be that out of place if she decided to tag along.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Okin said:
I'd say it's a stretch to believe that her people would appear suddenly
It wouldn't be too much of a stretch. The merrows detained the sea god before and it's about to emerge.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
so many things could happen to her, but I don't see her being with guts and Co. permanently. I think she will either meet her fate, or go off with merrows (if they even appear)

also, is the word "merrow" an Irish/Scottish word for mermaid?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
It wouldn't be too much of a stretch. The merrows detained the sea god before and it's about to emerge.

And the worlds recently merged, and then there's what her father told her on his deathbed.

Truder said:
is the word "merrow" an Irish/Scottish word for mermaid?

Traditionally, merrows are creatures from Gaelic folklore who are very similar to mermaids in other folklores, but it's not just another word for them. More like a regional variety.

Still, I think her death at Guts unthinking hands could provide a sharp warning about just how lethally dangerous it is for him to use the armor. It was necessary in this case, but so far, the actual dire consequences haven't affected the part as a whole yet. More than once, it's been the only way they've survived - Isma being killed by that would have a profound effect, not as much on the adults, but most certainly on Isidro's worship of Guts' abilities, not to mention Schierke. Who knows - it might turn out that the only way Isma could be saved after that, could be that she has to give up life on land entirely to become a merrow herself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Still, I think her death at Guts unthinking hands could provide a sharp warning about just how lethally dangerous it is for him to use the armor.

Far more than just a warning... It'd be too late. Guts has had plenty of warnings already (like when he let his guard down for a second and starting crushing Casca and Farnese in episode 272), but what it comes down to is him not having much of a choice in desperate situations.

Bekul said:
Isma being killed by that would have a profound effect, not as much on the adults, but most certainly on Isidro's worship of Guts' abilities, not to mention Schierke.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure everyone would be profoundly affected, from Serpico (who's been wary of the armor since volume 28) to Farnese and Roderick, but the worst would definitely be Guts himself. I don't think he'd forgive himself, especially given what happened with Adonis back in the day.

Bekul said:
Who knows - it might turn out that the only way Isma could be saved after that, could be that she has to give up life on land entirely to become a merrow herself.

I can see where you're coming from with this, but I have a hard time picturing Isma being salvable if she were hit by the Dragon Slayer. It wouldn't be pretty.

P

Pez

Having so many kids in the group would get weird. Their numbers would be almost equal to the adults (or equal to, depending on what you would count Casca as at the moment). I wonder if Miura would want to tip the scales like this. Throughout the anime, children have often been characters that got to know the better side of Guts, so I feel like children are a key factor to Guts dealing with things.

Anyways, I like Isma, and would like to see her join the groups. If you are going to the land of faeries, who better to bring along than an emotionally repressed child? And Casca. But I digress. Isma is a very strange girl and it is a tossup as to whether she will continue with them or stay behind. If she stays behind, I cannot see her living a very good life. However, that was not enough to convince Guts to bring Jill along with him...how much has he changed?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pez said:
Having so many kids in the group would get weird. Their numbers would be almost equal to the adults (or equal to, depending on what you would count Casca as at the moment).

Let's not exaggerate. First, Casca's condition doesn't make her a kid. Second, even putting her aside there are 6 other adults in the group right now: Azan, Roderick, Guts, Serpico, Farnese and Magnifico.

Pez said:
Throughout the anime, children have often been characters that got to know the better side of Guts, so I feel like children are a key factor to Guts dealing with things.

What? Throughout the anime? And Guts has met some kids during his adventures, but the only one who really stands out is Jill (other than Isidro and Schierke, obviously). Was she a key factor in him dealing with something? Probably not, since the Beast of Darkness made its first appearance right after he left her.

Pez said:
If you are going to the land of faeries

Elves.

Pez said:
who better to bring along than an emotionally repressed child?

Isma doesn't seem to be emotionally repressed at all to me. On the contrary, she's pretty wild.

P

Pez

Aazealh said:
Let's not exaggerate. First, Casca's condition doesn't make her a kid. Second, even putting her aside there are 6 other adults in the group right now: Azan, Roderick, Guts, Serpico, Farnese and Magnifico.

Isma doesn't seem to be emotionally repressed at all to me. On the contrary, she's pretty wild.

I was thinking more along the lines of her joining the main group, being Guts, Casca, Serpico, Farnese, Isidro and Schierke. And the thing about Casca being a kid was a joke.

And I meant repressed as in she has been alone most of her life and being around people makes her a bit more excited and 'wild.' And maybe the story will Jill just stands out way too much in my memory. I guess it is just lonely people who are able to feel a connection with Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pez said:
I was thinking more along the lines of her joining the main group, being Guts, Casca, Serpico, Farnese, Isidro and Schierke.

And who decides who's in the "main group" and who isn't? Sounds arbitrary to me.

Pez said:
And I meant repressed as in she has been alone most of her life and being around people makes her a bit more excited and 'wild.'

Ok, but that's not what being "emotionally repressed" means.

P

Pez

It would be humorous if Roderick were to continue with them to the end, but I wonder about that. I suppose it is arbitrary, but I am just not fond of the idea of Magnifico hanging around for too long...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pez said:
It would be humorous if Roderick were to continue with them to the end, but I wonder about that. I suppose it is arbitrary, but I am just not fond of the idea of Magnifico hanging around for too long...

I understand (although I don't see what would be funny about Roderick sticking with the group till the end), but these things aren't always as easy to predict as they seem. You could argue that Roderick doesn't have a lot to bring to Guts' band aside from his seafaring abilities, but then what of Isma?

P

Pez

Aazealh said:
I understand (although I don't see what would be funny about Roderick sticking with the group till the end), but these things aren't always as easy to predict as they seem. You could argue that Roderick doesn't have a lot to bring to Guts' band aside from his seafaring abilities, but then what of Isma?

As for what they can bring to the group, I assume that we have seen the extent to Roderick's abilities. However, right now in the series we have the three children rushing towards the fight, and Isma's story is not over yet. She may have something of worth to bring to the group, or she may not. But as of where they stand now, Isma's character is hard to gauge. She could be as useless as all the other passing characters, but for some reason I am leaning towards that not being the case.

Top Bottom