True Grit

Oburi

All praise Grail
EDIT- Oh shit, trailer for a new Coen bros movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

Looks promising!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
EDIT- Oh shit, trailer for a new Coen bros movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

Looks promising!

Oh shit, indeed! I've been waiting for something to come out for this movie and it looks amazing. I have to say I liked the first trailer better, but it's not by much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uco41pOKeJg&feature=related

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:

Looks promising!

Holy fuck, now that's my kinda movie. Jeff Bridges. TRUE GRIT. I'm sold.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
bearcavalry.jpg

Aazealh said:
Holy fuck, now that's my kinda movie. Jeff Bridges. TRUE GRIT. I'm sold.

"Mr. Aazealh, in your 6 years as an SK admin, how many men have you banned?"

"Banned... or deleted?" :badbone:

"Let us restrict it to deleted so that we may have a manageable figure!"

Grail said:
The only thing better than Jeff Bridges is... Jeff Bridges with an eyepatch. :guts:

I couldn't agree more. Even if the movie showed no promise and had a terrible director with no history of good films, this would be worth watching because of Jeff Bridges with an eyepatch.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I didn't realize it had a pg-13 rating. I thought for sure it was going to be rated-R. I hope that dosn't make it any less awesome.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Th3Branded0ne said:
Just saw it about an hour ago. I give it thumbs up. I"ll wait for more of you guys to see it and let me know what you thought about it.

I thought it was great. I loved how faithful the Coen brothers were to making sure it's authenticity to the Western Theme.

Oburi said:
I didn't realize it had a pg-13 rating. I thought for sure it was going to be rated-R. I hope that dosn't make it any less awesome.

Well they certainly didn't cut anything to get a PG-13 rating. I've noticed a lot of movies that would have gotten R ratings years ago are now only getting PG-13.

Johnstantine said:
saw it opening day and loved it.

it was a bit empty in parts, but nothing to make me not enjoy it.
I haven't told my family I've seen it before, mostly because if I did they would insist I watch The Little Fockers. I felt like there was something missing when I last saw it. Now that I've watched it again I think I actually like it a lot better with the second viewing.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw it with my family on Christmas Eve and I thought it was awesome. Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld were great. I can't wait to see it again with my girlfriend later this week. Best movie of 2010, hands down.

Coen bros movies are very hit or miss for me. Some of their films are among my all-time favorites, but I'd put True Grit among their misses unfortunately. Jeff Bridges did a pretty fine job in the lead role (although sometimes I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying) and Matt Damon wasn't as bad as he usually is, but Hailee Steinfeld was terrible! I couldn't stand her witty dialogue, though she's not completely to blame, it also comes down to the style of writing Joel and Ethan Coen use, and their sense of humor. Sometimes it works beautifully, other times it leaves me squirming. I guess some people like it though. There were a lot of people the theater chuckling throughout, mostly the grannies.

Other than that, I wasn't very satisfied with the cinematography, and that's the one thing I was really excited for after the beautiful photography in No Country for Old Men. But the fact is, westerns just don't work with that polished big-budget look, at least there was no CGI this time around to speak of. There were some nice landscape shots, but I didn't really go for the towns/interiors. This movie just made me realize how great the old John Ford/Sergio Leone scenery/set design was. And I really missed the great music the old westerns had (especially the Ennio Morricone scores), the music in this movie was so generic.

Despite Jeff Bridges amusing portrayal of Rooster Cogburn, I'd say overall this was a big disappointment, but not too big as I've come to expect some pretty lame efforts from the Coens these days. They just can't make westerns the way they used to, so they retreat to remaking the classics (3:10 to Yuma anyone) and they always fall short. The last really original, fresh, and truly great western I can recall was Dead Man, and that was made in 95'. Have there been any others worth a damn made since?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just so you know the Coen Bros don't consider this to be a western. I watched the Charlie Rose show the other night and both Joel and Ethan as well as Matt Damon were on and they all agreed it wasn't any more of a western than No Country (which they also don't consider it a western). And the music you speak of, I miss that too, but remember Morricone's scores were not made for "traditional" westerns. In fact, those Italian westerns weren't even shot in America (obviously). So if it's that type music you miss your better off watching Kill Bill or some other stylized throwback flick, not modern day western type films. Hell, even old school american westerns didn't have music like that, not by a long shot.

I agree that westerns today don't hold a candle to the old ones, and by older ones I'm referring too Spagetti westerns, Clint Eastwood's American westerns, the ones from Peckinpah and maybe some other random ones like Silverado (I loved it as a kid). But Westerns don't really do well these days at the box office, so the best we'll get are these pseudo westerns like Dead Man (which yea I agree, probably the last great "western", one of a kind though) and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada which is another decent film.

However I still haven't seen True Grit, but I look forward to it greatly. I'm very surprised you thought Hailee Steinfeld was terrible. I was impressed from her lines seen in the trailer alone. But who knows, I still haven't seen it so I'll stop...now.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
This movie was a lot more hilarious than I thought it would be. For some reason, I was under the impression it would be super serious.

What I liked in this movie, among so many other things, was
the lack of "super-evil" in the villains. Rooster and them were dealing with each other like gentlemen.

X

Xem

The original True Grit is the only John Wayne movie I've ever liked as well as the only one I found hilarious. If you think you couldn't understand Jeff Bridges, try watching the original.

Seriously, the guy's name is Rooster. :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:
so the best we'll get are these pseudo westerns like Dead Man (which yea I agree, probably the last great "western", one of a kind though)

No love for The Proposition and Jesse James? I thought those were the last best westerns since the masterpiece that was Unforgiven.

X

Xem

NightCrawler said:
No love for The Proposition and Jesse James? I thought those were the last best westerns since the masterpiece that was Unforgiven.

Appaloosa and 3:10 to Yuma weren't half bad themselves.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
IMO 3:10 to Yuma was horrendous.
Talking about stylized westerns, The Good The Bad and The Weird was better in that regard.

Top Bottom