Griff's Colors

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Re: Griffith's Ginormous Garbage Garage Going Gonzo Grand-opening! (Griff's colors)

This is EXACTLY what I can envision Gaiseric looking like. This is so well done I'm going to take this as an official pic until Miura decides to prove otherwise. I'm actually thinking about printing this baby out and getting a small frame for it and putting it on my wall. I am extremely impressed beyond words, great job Grif!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Re: Griffith's Ginormous Garbage Garage Going Gonzo Grand-opening! (Griff's colo

Griffith No More! said:
(especially since half those threads are now listed under VH Bob's account; this thread will need an FAQ =).

I didn't do noth'n! :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
20 Years Later (20 years later)

(click image for full size)

Feels like I've been messing with this one for 20 years, and I realized last night it'd never been properly put out. You might remember the strange advertisement that appeared in Episode 284, released April of this year. I can't remember when I originally started this, but Aaz, Wally, and I had been discussing using the image for a prank since at least April '06, so sometime before then. On that note, special thanks and final credit for the fake page itself should go to Aazealh and puella, who did the final editing and made sure the text, more or less, made sense. Aaz, of course, inserted the page, and if he cares to, could probably tell you more than I can about how many people were fooled worldwide. =)

Anyway, it all started with a simple concept image of Old Guts, originally inspired by Old Snake come to think of it, which was already done like a small ad in itself (and eventually became the "preview" image):

20.jpg

Poor Guts, he should have taken Skully's advice and laid off the armor. From here I started thinking more about the concept, and obviously Isidro and Schierke would be grown up at that point and probably figure heavily into the story, likely as the lead characters (kind of like Berserk: The Next Generation). So, that was my BS reasoning behind it, but it was really just an excuse to imagine grown up versions of them somewhat living out their childhood dreams; Isidro taking up the mantle of The Black Swordsman (complete with classic Yoda Puck) and Schierke basically developing into a younger incarnation of Flora in her prime.

Once the groundwork was laid for that, I wanted to combine the images of Isidro & Schierke with the one of the armor/time-ravaged Guts, which was harder than I thought (they obviously weren't just as they appear now) and I was going for a single page or poster size at that point. This ended up being a good thing though, since as I couldn't finish the damn thing, it continued to expand. I eventually wanted to see a sane, albeit 40-something Casca. I wanted her to look more tired than plain old, and still beautiful underneath that; Mrs. Vandimion was a good precedent and inspiration.

After that, I just sort of got off on a few tangents experimenting with the ideas; like, the Beast being the new Skull Knight, roaming the land in an even more pronounced transformation. Either with Guts' trapped inside the armor or somehow separated altogether (with old Guts living in solitary confinement in a mountaintop cave somewhere, no doubt). Plenty of plot possibilities were kicking around at this time; Guts' soul trapped in the armor needing to be saved, the demon/moonlight child grown up into a powerful evil Guts clone (partly Dark Tower inspired), or finding old Guts to face off against the ultra-destructive "Beast Knight" (again, because he's the only one who can!) which is sort of a combination of those concepts. Anyway, I basically imagined the plot revolving around "the search for Guts" where they either need to find him, save him, or some such cliché shit.

Finally, I added a sorrowful Holy-Emperor Griffith Wyndham, seemingly untouched by time or humanity, the wine having long since lost its taste, sitting alone atop the World on an ice-cold throne, waiting... =)

I was going to do individual character write ups for where everything originally came from, the modifications made, and other inspirations (I shouldn't forgot to point out that the image is at least somewhat aesthetically inspired by the DVD cover of a favorite around here, Seven Samurai) and I may write those still, but since I'm tired of typing about this, I'll leave it up to you guys to find and call out that stuff here. See if you can catch 'em all, people certainly were in the episode thread (before their posts mysteriously disappeared =)!

Hope you like it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: Griffith's Ginormous Garbage Garage Going Gonzo Grand-opening! (Griff's colo

lol. nice prank.
I like the part in the thread where you complemented yourself :)

I knew it wasn't for real, but I guess I should have suspected it was an internal sting. Next time don't forget about the nose ;)
Guess warning bells should have been ringing when Aaz lept to it's defense.

What other places did it fool?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

To call it just a prank is a pretty big misnomer, I think. It's really like a graphical, conceptual fanfiction, of the best possible kind. I had no idea of 1/2 the ideas you elaborated on here Griff. Had no idea you'd considered so many possibilities. Final product looks great.

Now that that's behind us, how about a 100 years later follow-up? :badbone:

CnC

Ad Oculos

Walter said:
To call it just a prank is a pretty big misnomer, I think. It's really like a graphical, conceptual fanfiction, of the best possible kind.

I'll give you 'very good prank' :)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Re: Griffith's Ginormous Garbage Garage Going Gonzo Grand-opening! (Griff's colors)

I love it, Grif! Griffith on his chair of despair is very powerful and well done. Also Isidro look pretty damn cool, great job!

Griff is a member of The Patriots. Along with Walter, Aaz and CnC. I'm sure of it now...

:idea:

It's all coming together now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

CnC said:
What other places did it fool?

The entire Chinese Berserk fandom, according to blueberserk, plus countless random leechers.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Proj2501 said:
Griff is a member of The Patriots. Along with Walter, Aaz and CnC. I'm sure of it now...

Hey, I was as in the dark as you were. While I didn't think it was real, I thought someone in Japan was doing it. Didn't even think it was a Griff, Aaz, and Puella tag team.

Aazealh said:
The entire Chinese Berserk fandom, according to blueberserk, plus countless random leechers.

haha. awesome.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ

Very beautiful work! I especially like the work on the girls, there's a certain dignity upon them. Very powerful stuff!
Isidro is just killer, but that's okay if one considers his master.^^
But yeah, i'd like to see further entries, especially for Farnese and Serpico! Mahou Shoujo Farnese..or in this case Mahou Otome. :casca:
Instant win, i have to say!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos

Since Conan was mentioned as being one of the influences for Mr. Miura, I think it would be cool to see a picture of guts sitting on his throne with the DS at his side, and Casca in a skimpy get up at his feet in a sexy pose, ala Frank Frazetta. :guts:

P

Pencil-smith

Aazealh said:
Some of you probably already saw this, and the topic is older than Midland's last King, but I found it quite funny to read through this thread I found today.

Some guys seem to have seen through the ruse quite fast, but there are always some gullible fools that serve your purpose. :)

Best quote from the topic : "The placement of the image in the zip file was legit, it was a joke from Miura. I got the distinct impression that it couldn't be a fake made by the SK people because it looked too good." :ganishka:
Congratz to the team behind this cunning plan!

PS : If my link is not allowed on SK due to the nature of the site (scanlation host), please remove the link... thank you.

Griffith

Walter said:
It's really like a graphical, conceptual fanfiction, of the best possible kind. I had no idea of 1/2 the ideas you elaborated on here Griff. Had no idea you'd considered so many possibilities. Final product looks great.

Wow, now that's a favorable impression, thanks man. Yeah, I'm always coming up with silly little stories behind these images and vice versa, otherwise I wouldn't think to add half the stuff. It's more about the concept than the final product anyway, which I just want to look as much like Miura himself had drawn it that way in the first place (the goal is really to change as little of his work as possible, just find stuff of his that fits already, and alter the context).

On the other hand, sometimes it leaves people asking "Whats' that thing doing in there?" because they don't know the "plot." =)

Walter said:
Now that that's behind us, how about a 100 years later follow-up? :badbone:

Hmmm, maybe actually. I had a little idea I never did that could work with that...

handsome rakshas said:
I love it, Grif! Griffith on his chair of despair is very powerful and well done. Also Isidro look pretty damn cool, great job!

Yeah, sometimes Isidro gets knocked for being an annoying kid character, but he's actually a total badass for his age, and I wanted to show him living up to that potential. And yeah, I've always wanted to see King Griff and imagined him like this in some fun scenarios, so this was the perfect excuse. The whole 20 years later concept really started as an excuse to do neat things we've always wanted to see, but fit under one umbrella: old/bearded Guts, consequences of the armor, badass adult Isidro, King Griffith, etc.

SimplyEd said:
Very beautiful work! I especially like the work on the girls, there's a certain dignity upon them. Very powerful stuff!
Isidro is just killer, but that's okay if one considers his master.^^
But yeah, i'd like to see further entries, especially for Farnese and Serpico! Mahou Shoujo Farnese..or in this case Mahou Otome.

Yeah, I wanted to see Schierke standing tall and confident, and Casca, well, at least not drooling or anything finally. Wanted to see the shoe on the other foot with her, where she's the one carrying the large burden, much like she did with the the Hawks after Guts and Griffith left. Restore some of her dignity.

As for Farnese and Serpico, you can just look at Mr. and Mrs. Vandimion. :serpico:

KazigluBey said:
Since Conan was mentioned as being one of the influences for Mr. Miura, I think it would be cool to see a picture of guts sitting on his throne with the DS at his side, and Casca in a skimpy get up at his feet in a sexy pose, ala Frank Frazetta.

Suki already covered the Conan/Frazetta angle on the oekaki, if you're interested:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/oekaki/index.php?pageno=12#79

Pencil-Knight said:
Best quote from the topic : "The placement of the image in the zip file was legit, it was a joke from Miura. I got the distinct impression that it couldn't be a fake made by the SK people because it looked too good."

Haha, well, I'll take that as a compliment; glad they liked it, anyway. My favorite line in there though was the guy who said he saw the image, on the Evil Genius forums of course, before the episode came out.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words all, I always feel sort of sheepish about these things though, because even though I'm doing some editing, it's still 100% Miura's work that I'm like... desecrating, basically. =)

Ah well, all in tribute to the man and his work.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Griffith No More! said:
Hmmm, maybe actually. I had a little idea I never did that could work with that...

Wasn't it this?
http://www.skullknight.net/images/62.jpg
:serpico:

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, thanks for the kind words all, I always feel sort of sheepish about these things though, because even though I'm doing some editing, it's still 100% Miura's work that I'm like... desecrating, basically. =)

Ah well, all in tribute to the man and his work.

Hey, unless you get a cease and desist or something I think we all want you to continue those beautiful desecrations :D

Griffith

Okay, individual write ups for everybody in Berserk 20 Years Later, in order of their insertion (with built-in character/author reactions =). I'm going to try to keep these short...

Old Guts - Basically, Godot from volume 17, but with Guts eyes, ears, and what are supposed to be armor scars added. Also, his trademark bangs, all white at this point instead of just a patch, also made the hair a bit shorter and more course in general to match Guts better. Godot had surprisingly pretty hair.

:guts:

The Isidro Swordsman - A black swordsman body from the Berserk prototype, when Guts had more sassy attitude, perfect for Isidro. Removed the crossbow and replaced it with an Isidro pirate sword, as well as adding his fire dagger to his belt. His hair and face is a heavily modified Gambino, though not so much that everyone didn't point out that he looked just like Gambino when I'd show it to them.

:isidro:

Wise Puck - Literally did nothing here, it's just Yoda Puck directly lifted, rotated, and resized. Haha, thanks Miura!

:puck: :miura:

Ms. Schierke - Was harder than the sum of her parts. Just her body from the end of the Troll episode, when her face is darkened out, replaced that with Flora's face, sans wrinkles and with a new hairdo. Aaz thinks the shading looks like shit, like she's a burn victim, but I think the hat justifies it and I liked it, even if it's not totally in sync with the rules. Was going to use the mega hot fire Flora for the face but... I didn't want Schierke to look like a sex pot, at least not on this project. Nice and respectable instead... I'm kind of regretting that choice at the moment, eh Schierke?

:schierke:

40-something Casca - Hmmm, I think I basically just took the most recent flashback Guts had of her, modified the armor so it was something other than her Hawks' era duds, and then added a unique Casca face. It's unique because it's actually from the scene when Guts assaults her, after he bites her breast and she's lying there like... well, a sexual assault victim. Yup, that's the face, rotated, barely aged (she already looked messed up), and with a slightly modified mouth. So, in the future, Casca's default expression will be one of somebody who's constantly just been sexually assaulted. Makes sense to me.

:???:

Beast Knight - This one was probably the easiest modification, though I think I did more than I even remember or can tell by working, it went together so easy I don't recall. It's just Guts from volume 27 dragging his sword with the blacked out beast head replaced with an earlier fuzzy version, probably from the same episode I got Casca's face from in volume 23 (think I shortened the nose a bit). Anyway, it came together very simply as at this point the additions to the picture were basically just throw ins.

:chomp:

Holy Emperor Griffith - Well, it's the King's body and throne, but got rid of most of the textures to go with a more simplistic pure white robed look for Griffith. And the I think his head came from after he slept with Charlotte and was depressed over Guts, but I'm not even looking at the image right now. The throne has a few details tossed in like Griffith's shield from his dream of a peaceful life with Casca, and the holy emblem synonymous with him, but this was more about addition by subtraction; give it that perfect white Griffith touch. Throne went through a few incarnations too, like the height, at first I made it way lower, but eventually I ended up raising it even higher because I had room, could, and it looked more balanced. I think I had totally removed the cushion texture on the seat at one point, then reapplied it later myself (don't remember why, sort of inefficient, but looks okay). And after all that conquering and evil ruling, I bet he still misses his old buddy Guts, huh?

:griff:

Zodd, still the Immortal - From Griffith's exodus from Albion, I think I flipped the image... maybe? Thanks again Miura!

:zodd: :miura:

As for some odds and ends, the logo had a bazillian variations but this was the earliest and best and I'm glad I came to my senses and stuck with it (adding the translation of "Berserk" and "Years Later" to match Miura's name only the night before posting), also, there were several versions filled with black bird silhouettes. Originaly I wanted to show birds circling above the Beast knight, inferring they were following his path of death and destruction and feeding on the remains. But that itself never really came out right, and then I tried using the the bird motif all over, and it just turned into a big mess, so I gave the birds the bird and told 'em to flap off. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, a detail or something I didn't talk about, or maybe something you notice I missed here, go ahead and shoot.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I like this trend. Why not unravel the mysteries on all your work so far, starting from the beginning? :daiba:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.

Brilliant Tongue-in-Cheek work Griffith. I was able to tell it was a photoshop project but it's Cool to see that it was one of our own who was responsible for fooling a large amount of people, as well as making a neat piece of fan-art (What about the two Japanese users who showed up only once in that thread though? Sock Puppets?). I only wish you had included the Adult Moonlight Child/Evil Guts in the finished product though. Something about that character is subtly creepy . . .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Forest Wraith said:
(What about the two Japanese users who showed up only once in that thread though? Sock Puppets?).

They showed up more than once and more than in a single thread, and there were also 3 I think, but yeah, they were sock puppets. :guts:

Griffith

Oh yeah, forgot to talk about our REAL Japanese users that know the top secret infos! There was a little Silence of the Lambs tossed in for good measure: Tomo Ruisu = Louis Friend = Iron Sulfide = Fool's Gold. I think Tomo even posted a few times before in other threads to "establish" himself. =)

And of course his back up, and second source to confirm, Miyamoto; a name our video games have brainwashed us to love and trust since childhood.

The Setup:

Tomo Ruisu said:
Yes nothing in YA so far but look for any news regarding Miura not nessesarely having to do with Berserk. Theres been rumors about him working on a possible side project but no official confirmation. Im very curious and wondering if anyone on these boards knows something?

Miyamoto said:
I've heard the rumors about side projects too. Not anything about Japan but Berserk stuff like a art book or video game and even a gaiden like snow and flames but bigger. Thats the one I want and have heard most and since this isn't a normal break the silence from all camps hopfully means something else from what we've seen before.

Tomo Ruisu said:
Wow that is great to hear! I had just about given up hope hearing anything from this board because most people seem to be missing the point that Miura isn't only still hard at working but possibly on a other Berserk project or story. I have heard a lot of the same things going around including that it is no coincidence that in absense of Berserk from YA they have been publishing background information and particularly timelines. I really think it is going to be some sort of history of Berserk. Maybe even something involving the past of Skull Knight and the forming of Midland? That is only my speculation though.

The April Fools:

Tomo Ruisu said:
2026.jpg

Check out this!!! A Japanese book vendor started a stir about what Miura was working on over the past many months! He said that this is on flyers to be in the new release of YA Arasi and theres sure to be more infos in YA with the publish of episode 284! It looks like our suspicions were right!!

This was obviously met with skepticism, but Miyamoto to the rescue!

Miyamoto said:
It may be no joke. I came here to share the same thing but looks like Tomo beat me to it. This has been getting buzz for months its not just something that came up today. Its even been discussed here before in the current ep threads if you remember. I for one hope its on the mark because Id much like that over a game or artbook.

Miyamoto said:
You dont sound like one to decide gaijin. Do you even know what YA Arasi is? its okay to skeptical until its more widely confirmed but theres no need to sound off ignorantly because youve been easily fooled by others. A lot of people have been following this for months.

Tomo Ruisu said:
If its a joke its from Japan but nobody has said so. So its likely real and i hope so! About the timing in the story from those knowing better then I is it could be something like a gaiden like the episodes of snow and flames. Something already done but that would not continue as part of the series. But none really knows. Maybe its why during his break they ran timelines of berserk history?

This are lies! I never take part in such a silly prank! :miura:

Mordenheim

Wii love you

Yes this is no joke and not funny to be sure. 20 years later is in fact quite real as I am reading it right now. I don't know why this person who is apparently no longer posing as Gurifisu would post an image from Miura-sensei's famous gaiden and say it was something they made up except to be a prostitute of attention.

S

smoke

Miyamoto said:
Yes this is no joke and not funny to be sure. 20 years later is in fact quite real as I am reading it right now. I don't know why this person who is apparently no longer posing as Gurifisu would post an image from Miura-sensei's famous gaiden and say it was something they made up except to be a prostitute of attention.

Oh okay. I'd better grab that then.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Miyamoto said:

ya know... after all these lies I'm starting to suspect you AREN'T Miyamoto... :miura:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.

Miyamoto said:

Go on . . . Go on . . . Do it . . . Call someone Gaijin again . . . Do It! I Dare you! I Double-Dog-Dare you! Person who steals your Fathers Wife!

Top Bottom