Berserk publications around the world

Well, the topic is a little dead, and bet nobody cares anymore, but I thought it's a good idea presenting the Brazilian edition to everybody, you know, just out of curiosity. It would be nice to get some opinion about the collection since you already got here... Berserk here is published by Panini (ooh surprise) and it's not fantastic, but at last looks decent, compared to others Brazilian publishers. Photos of my volumes:

21e7wcp.jpg

w0jh4.jpg

2zejwci.jpg

I know my English bites, please just ignore it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I find it interesting that Panini used the cover of the Dreamcast game's soundtrack for one of the volumes. Out of curiosity, what part of the story occurs in that one?

Giovanna said:
I know my English bites, please just ignore it.

Nah, it's pretty damn good. Much better than some native English speakers I know. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Giovanna, and thank you for the pictures.

Rhombaad said:
I find it interesting that Panini used the cover of the Dreamcast game's soundtrack for one of the volumes.

They use whatever they can (not always judiciously) for the earlier volumes since they didn't feature mini-posters. The Italian edition has covers from the 1998 calendar for example (in black and white on a color background).

Huh, so they split each volume into 2 for some reason? How big is each book? It looks like it might be reproduced larger than the american and japanese versions of the volumes.

Thanks Rhombaad and Aazealh! My pleasure.

The volume with the Dreamcast game's soundtrack is number four. It contains episode The Guardians of Desire 3 (O Anjo da Guarda da Ambição 3). Quite a strange translation of the original title, I think.

Each book is around 120 pages. Lately they come with five episodes, but for the first volumes it depended on the size of an episode, it could have two or just one, but it had to be 120 pages. And it's released every two months. The last episode (released June) was 301. Chaos (Caos).

At last lately they stopped wasting pages with some crap like letters and ads of others mangás they publish... I really don't like it.

Giovanna said:
At last lately they stopped wasting pages with some crap like letters and ads of others mangás they publish... I really don't like it.

My guess is that the letter section and those random curiosities were done to keep a consistent number of pages per volume, not really to waste pages. When they realized they wouldn't be able to fill in a volume with a certain number of episodes, they just filled it with this extra stuff so we wouldn't have a noticeable difference in the quantity of pages from one volume to another.

Looks fantastic, Giovanna, I especially like the awesome artwork used as covers! :carcus:

Since I bought a couple more volumes I decided to post some new pics for comparison:

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Since I bought a couple more volumes I decided to post some new pics for comparison:

The Russian edition looks as good as ever. Other editors would be wise to take it as an example (for a hypothetical deluxe edition).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The print quality of those is far better than Dark Horse. Not to mention that admirable size. It's so big, it can't really be called a manga. :guts:

Oh my god, it's hardcover?! :isidro:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Wow. Those seriously look great. It almost makes me want to start collecting Berserk in a 3rd language. I wonder what it would be like if I started collecting Berserk from all over the world.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I guess it'd be a long task but an interesting one! In how many language is it translated sor far? someone know?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I guess it'd be a long task but an interesting one! In how many language is it translated sor far? someone know?

Off the top of my head, aside from Japanese it's been released in English (USA), French, Italian, German, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese. There might be more, and some countries have more than one edition.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Off the top of my head, aside from Japanese it's been released in English (USA), French, Italian, German, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese. There might be more, and some countries have more than one edition.

Shit! That's nice! I knew that it was at least in French, English, Italian and Spanish! But wow, it's nice to know! Thank Aaz.

I wanted to buy the Hungarian edition for such a long time, and finally, I found a shop where they sell it, but I didn't have enough money with me, because I spent it in a chocolate shop before :judo: :farnese:
But at least I could take a look at it. The quality seemed nice, like most of the manga publications here, and nothing is changed/censored. It's also read from rigth to left. I couldn't take a closer look at the translation, but it seemed to be okay, and also the names are written in the right way. The translation of "Black Swordsman" and "The Band of the Hawk" sound a bit lame in this language first, but I could get used to it, and it's not the translator's fault.
They also kept the original cover arts
berserk-i.jpg

They also have the pic of Puck on the back, but it isn't in the middle of the cover but on the top, and there's a description of the story under it to attract those who don't know it.
I'll post more pics if anyone's interested and I can finally get a volume... Unfortunately it's kinda hard to get, because they stopped publishing it at vol. 5, and they won't print more (lack of money and audience :judo: ) So there's a limited amount of them around, but no matter how hard it is, I'm going to get one!

Gillia said:
I'll post more pics if anyone's interested and I can finally get a volume... Unfortunately it's kinda hard to get, because they stopped publishing it at vol. 5, and they won't print more (lack of money and audience :judo: ) So there's a limited amount of them around, but no matter how hard it is, I'm going to get one!
I'm interested and I think you should definitely buy all the volumes.
miura.gif
:serpico: And actually we have the same problem here, no one wants to buy Berserk, and they're starting to take breaks, for example I just bought the sixth volume today and the fifth came out in april... I hope it all ends well.

You're right, Eluvei. But it bothers me because I'm not a fan of some translator answering questions about the story.

Thanks Konketsuji! The good side of the half tankobon are the covers, after all, we can't even dream about Illustration Files or things like that, been published here. (I bought it in Japanese, had to nearly sell one kidney to pay that, haha)

By the way, that Russian edition are my dreams come true. Sooo envy...

And Gillia, yes, please post some images when you get one! I really wanted to see every edition from every country =P

Edi

Sorry for my bad English...
Refresh. :)

Berserk will be published in Poland by JPF. The first volume will be released in October 4 in a slightly oversized format - A5. And will cost 25,20 PLN = ~7,68 USD + free bookmark in pre-order.

10476087_791960240827318_3296170825133776730_o.jpg

10622739_1478668999048343_1155257208286121362_n.jpg

This cover( typography) has not been accepted by Hakusensha.
okladka-600.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! It's always good to see Berserk spreading to more fans over the world.

I like the logo on the first choice quite a bit. It replicates the feel of the original Japanese logo, I think. Not so much the second.

Wholf

Plague Doctor
kaimera has already shown the German version, but there was also a series of very limited boxed sets, called Berserk Collection 1-5.
Each of those boxes contains 5 volumes. Unfortunately they were discontinued after the fifth collection.

IMG_0953_zps8e83b6cd.jpg

IMG_0949_zpseb901ce8.jpg

IMG_0950_zps0b285523.jpg

IMG_0952_zpsd3fa81ed.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wholf said:
kaimera has already shown the German version, but there was also a series of very limited boxed sets, called Berserk Collection 1-5.
Each of those boxes contains 5 volumes. Unfortunately they were discontinued after the fifth collection.

Too bad they discontinued them, I like the idea.

Top Bottom