New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I really hope Hirasawa does work for the soundtrack, like some of you mentioned. His music made parts of the first series really stand out. The Berserk story is so engrained with that music for me I think I'd be disappointed if I heard anything else.
I feel like if I compare it to the Manga at all it will always fail to live up to expectations. I'm going to try and give it a fair chance and see it for what it is.

Hopefully this new work will be super popular and inspire even more people to go pick up the Manga! : )

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
We'll, I'm hoping they'll use the Twitter account for more than just the anime. Like for example other information about the series, like episode releases, and *gasp* updates from Miura :daiba:

I think the Twitter account might be for Berserk in general, though the "project" part in the name seems to refer to the new anime. Anyway, if it's anything like the other Twitter accounts they've set up for their series it won't be a must-read. As for updates from Miura you can stop dreaming right now since I'm quite sure it'll just be run by YA's editorial staff.

Johnstantine said:
Fun stuff. Hopefully they retcon the shit out of the 1997 anime.

Just pretending it doesn't exist should suffice. :iva:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, I wouldn't exactly call it the the Holy Grail, but "Season 2," or just a second anime, is probably the longest standing Berserk message board legend to finally come to fruition. :guts:

Dar Klink said:
Oh god... I didn't believe the title, I thought it was just an old thread revived by some inconsiderate member...

Me too, helped by the fact it was already two pages when I saw it. :ganishka:

I can't believe it. :isidro: After more than ten years... I hope for the best of course and I agree with all of you about Susumu Hirasawa. But is it really possible to air uncensored version on tv, all these brutal and sex scenes? Was there an anime series with this level of violence before?

Wow! Just in time to deliver before the end of the world! Hehehehehe

I'm so stoked! I wonder if its even a continuation though, or a revamp. I would rather see a continuation, but a revamp would interest me just as much. I would love to see the Conviction Arc and beyond. The announcement of the new series OVA is phenomenal! :ubik:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Probably not, and that's why it's likely going to be OVAs.

I hope so. That's the only way the animation will do justice to Miura's artwork and storytelling. I wonder how many of the original seiyu will reprise their roles. I hope Toshiyuki Morikawa plays Griffith again. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I wonder if its even a continuation though, or a revamp. I would rather see a continuation, but a revamp would interest me just as much.

You would rather see a continuation? With all that they omitted? It wouldn't make much sense.

Aazealh said:
You would rather see a continuation? With all that they omitted? It wouldn't make much sense.

I'm in agreement with Aaz, I would rather see an OVA from the very beginning of the manga up until current, much like the Hellsing OVA. Whether or not they would take this stance is questionable, due to budget restrictions, but I reckon it would have potential to push Berserk to a new level of popularity if they went through with it.

The issue I have is, if it doesn't sell too well then production could be ceased or slow down considerably or budget cuts could be made, Hellsing has a much bigger fan base from my understanding, hence the OVA series. I doubt this would be the case but it would be a shame for the series to make it as far as the previous anime only to fall short of the mark again.

I have a lot of hope for a new series, because there has been a lot of improvements in manga-anime transitions in the last 13 odd years since the last series. Not to say I don't have an ounce of pessimism, I really do. In fact I am waiting for a second opinion on the translation of this front cover, just in case someone has actually mis-translated or the cover has been misunderstood and is mentioning that their maybe an interview with Miura inside talking about the omission of an anime series. If this is all true though, I really look forward to seeing how it all comes together, at the very least we get a new soundtrack by Hirasawa.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Hellsing has a much bigger fan base from my understanding

Is there any basis to this assumption of yours? I'm genuinely curious.

In any case, the only relevant fact in your comparison is that Hellsing's just 10 volumes long whereas Berserk has 35 volumes and is still ongoing. And Hellsing's volumes are shorter too. That's not quite the same investment.

JezzaX said:
In fact I am waiting for a second opinion on the translation of this front cover, just in case someone has actually mis-translated or the cover has been misunderstood

Don't you think I'd have mentioned it first thing and then closed the thread if it had been the case? :schierke:

I just want to see some of my favorite moments animated, even if the story is an adaptation. I can isolate moments and pretend that the rest of it doesn't exist, if that's what it comes down to.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aside from the perfect world scenario of faithfully adapting the whole series from start to present, what I'd do is bring back the same voice cast and Hirasawa, and do something faithful that, while not contradicting or retconning it, wouldn't owe anything to the previous anime. Cover the Conviction arc starting from Lost Children until the Incarnation Ceremony (considering likely length limitations), which would work as a continuation if you've seen the previous anime, but would also be a stand alone adaptation of volumes 14-21, and would organically introduce Puck, Silat, and Skull Knight without awkwardly trying to bridge the gap between the old series and this new endeavor, whatever it maybe be. Basically, other than spiritual continuity like the music and cast, ignore the old anime, but don't cover the same ground either. That's my reasonable hope, anyway.

X

Xem

Griffith said:
Aside from the perfect world scenario of faithfully adapting the whole series from start to present, what I'd do is bring back the same voice cast and Hirasawa, and do something faithful that, while not contradicting or retconning it, wouldn't owe anything to the previous anime. Cover the Conviction arc starting from Lost Children until the Incarnation Ceremony (considering likely length limitations), which would work as a continuation if you've seen the previous anime, but would also be a stand alone adaptation of volumes 14-21, and would organically introduce Puck, Silat, and Skull Knight without awkwardly trying to bridge the gap between the old series and this new endeavor, whatever it maybe be. Basically, other than spiritual continuity like the music and cast, ignore the old anime, but don't cover the same ground either. That's my reasonable hope, anyway.

This is what I've been saying for a while now. Start off with Guts embarking on his own and end with him saving Casca at Albion. It would be appropriate too, the first anime ends with Griffith becoming Femto and the new one could end with him being incarnated. Not saying the two need to be mutually exclusive, but I think it'd work from a market standpoint. Let's not forget the enormous amount of people who refuse to read manga and only follow anime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The new website has launched! It's still being uploaded as I post this, but it's looking good so far. It's nothing too amazing though. They removed the features they weren't updating anymore (episode previews, the little flash games) and streamlined the rest. I think the background illustrations could be in a higher resolution... And that thumbnail of volume 35's cover is just gross. Definitely not resized properly.

Anyway, I wonder what the "Coming Soon" section is about. Future information on the anime?

http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/

Ah and I didn't post it earlier, but here's the Twitter account for those interested: http://twitter.com/berserk_project

Does the 'commercial film' section mean we will be getting trailers of the new anime on the dates shown? Is it really going to be that soon? :isidro:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
what a crazy day! :isidro: my brain almost imploded from all this fantastic news :guts:

my biggest hope is Susumu Hirasawa, definitely! (and that this isnt some 8 month-long april fools joke :judo:)

thanks for the links to the twitter account and YA website :guts:

JezzaX said:
Does the 'commercial film' section mean we will be getting trailers of the new anime on the dates shown? Is it really going to be that soon? :isidro:

I'd say those are probably the commercials for the 35th volume, narrated by Gackt:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-27/new-berserk-anime-project-launching said:
A television commercial narrated by singer, actor, and well-known Berserk fan Gackt will promote the release of the 35th manga volume. Four versions of the commercial will run from Wednesday, September 29 to October 3.

Eluvei said:
I'd say those are probably the commercials for the 35th volume, narrated by Gackt:

Ah right, that's me jumping the gun a little then, thanks for that. I guess I'm finding it difficult to contain the excitement and just want to see more info as soon as possible.

P

Pez

I have been hoping for this every since the baseless rumors started. I am optimistic. I am quite sure in my own mind that it will be an improvement upon the original series, and that it will not be a disappointment. I am very curious what it will cover, and how it will deal with the original anime. If anything, they can simply introduce Puck in the beginning of the new series and take tiny liberties with the story at first to tie everything together...who knows. I just hope that they really learn from what they did and follow the manga a bit more closely...

Anyways, I am very excited and hope that their budget allows for a worthy anime. I would not mind too much if Miura were to take a longer break in order to ensure that the anime will not fail to impress.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'll believe this when it turns out it's not a prank. :puck:

That would be quite the elaborate prank, building a website and all.

JezzaX said:
Ah right, that's me jumping the gun a little then, thanks for that. I guess I'm finding it difficult to contain the excitement and just want to see more info as soon as possible.

I was curious about this, too! I was hoping we'd get to see some snippets of animation. hopefully the art direction is nice and dark.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow, color me excited! What I personally hope for is an OVA of the Lost children chapter because there is just enough material for them not to have to cut too much out and it's sort of out of the way of they main storyline so it won't disrupt the continuity. Plus Rosine of course! I think that would be awesome.

But I'll be happy to see anything in Berserk animated. :guts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom