New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'll believe this when it turns out not to be a prank.

Hehe, this has already sparked some heated debate and caused a misunderstanding between me and Aaz. I can assure you this is not an elaborate hoax. I can understand why people would have a hard time believing it after many years of rumours and the dismissal of those pictures from last year.

Speaking of which, do we reckon those pictures we saw really were leaks of the new animated series? I keep coming back to them as they seemed really highly detailed for a casual prank.

Also, didn't Miura have a comment at the end of an episode recently stating how he thought that the anime market had changed and wouldn't accept something like Berserk anymore. Or at least something along those lines?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
JezzaX said:
Hehe, this has already sparked some heated debate and caused a misunderstanding between me and Aaz. I can assure you this is not an elaborate hoax. I can understand why people would have a hard time believing it after many years of rumours and the dismissal of those pictures from last year.

Speaking of which, do we reckon those pictures we saw really were leaks of the new animated series? I keep coming back to them as they seemed really highly detailed for a casual prank.

I was wondering the same thing. Most likely that was a prank though. I just hope this turns out to be really good, that's all I care about.

If the new series looks at the very least, as good as those pictures, then I will be happy knowing that the animation would be far greater than the 1997 non-animated fight sequences.

Add in Hirasawa, a faithful plotline, good voice acting and you have anime gold. I very nearly soiled myself at the thought of seeing the first Berserker battle scene fully animated.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
The new website has launched! It's still being uploaded as I post this, but it's looking good so far. It's nothing too amazing though. They removed the features they weren't updating anymore (episode previews, the little flash games) and streamlined the rest.
It's a better design, though with admittedly a lot less information. And the massive use of Flash is a bit of a turnoff. I do like the rotating background images though.

I think the background illustrations could be in a higher resolution... And that thumbnail of volume 35's cover is just gross. Definitely not resized properly.
It's because Flash is stretching the image to fit in an improper way. If you make your browser window smaller, it looks OK. But yeah, definitely shitty in a modern resolution window.

Ah and I didn't post it earlier, but here's the Twitter account for those interested: http://twitter.com/berserk_project
I'll follow this and post anything relevant on the forum. They've made two posts so far, reposting the dates the commercials will air (also on the official corner's site), along with a blurb about how they'll be on the web within 15-seconds of airing (kinda a weird determination...)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
It's real. Previous rumors of another animation began and ended with something like this: "My friend who works in THE ANIME BUSINESS says everyone talks about the next Berserk anime that's in production! And he's got no reason to lie!" The announcement today is on a much, much larger scale. No one but Hakusensha has the ability to both print a slipcover for vol 35, and redesign the official hub site for the series, all geared at promoting a new animation.

It's real, it's coming, and we'll have five trailers about SOMETHING by this time next week. Worst-case scenario, it'll just be animated commercials to promote the release of volume 35. And that wouldn't even be so bad :void:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

Do you really think we'd go to the trouble of photoshopping an image, planting it online, posting it here with some random account, and coordinating the timing with the release of volume 35 and launch of the new Berserk website, which doesn't mention an anime anywhere, and then denying any involvement just because it would be the best Berserk prank ever? Naaaah. :carcus:

It's real, it is not a prank... Trust me. :griffnotevil:

Truder said:
Did anyone else create a twitter account for the Berserk account?

You COULD say that! :troll:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
I didn't think so many would be excited. The manga already animates really well in my head. I was thinking this would be more for those who don't know about Berserk or who where to lazy read cause "What? it's in black and white and i gotta read...no way man :schierke:". I'm still gonna watch(probably buy it too) but I don't see how it can be better than the manga.Might be good for music though or more a cheery Berserk opening theme telling me to my glasses on.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Griffith said:
Do you really think we'd go to the trouble of photoshopping an image, planting it online, posting it here with some random account, and coordinating the timing with the release of volume 35 and launch of the new Berserk website, which doesn't mention an anime anywhere, and then denying any involvement just because it would be the best Berserk prank ever? Naaaah. :carcus:

It's real, it is not a prank... Trust me. :griffnotevil:

You COULD say that! :troll:
Griffith... Griff.. Griffith! N-no Griffith... :magni: :magni: :magni: :magni: :magni:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I am really hoping they take this new series far. And I mean FAR. I want to see Femto killing Ganishka and the world changing. Imagine what they could do with that giant wave.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
i have all these happy thoughts about the animated series :serpico: but i wonder if they will overly censor the amount of guts & boobies :sad: (i hope not)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Gobolatula said:
I am really hoping they take this new series far. And I mean FAR. I want to see Femto killing Ganishka and the world changing. Imagine what they could do with that giant wave.

Thinking about it, that probably would be a good spot for them to stop, but they'd have to cover a lot of material if they didn't start after Albion and Femto's incarnation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I call it an Aazealh Surprise!

We're not pulling a prank. I know it's fun and all to play it up as a conspiracy but in order to avoid derailing the thread I'm going to have to disallow that kind of post from now on.

JezzaX said:
Hehe, this has already sparked some heated debate

Let's not exaggerate. :iva:

JezzaX said:
Speaking of which, do we reckon those pictures we saw really were leaks of the new animated series?

Hard to say. According to the person who originally posted them they were made in 2008, and this new animation project is apparently just starting. But whatever the case, they lacked the quality required to meet my expectations. I'm repeating myself but I really hope the new project will be worthy of the Berserk name.

JezzaX said:
Also, didn't Miura have a comment at the end of an episode recently stating how he thought that the anime market had changed and wouldn't accept something like Berserk anymore. Or at least something along those lines?

Aazealh said:
Miura's comment for YA #21 can be translated like this (thanks puella):

"It's nothing new to say this, but anime series with a fighting man as the hero are almost dead (not popular anymore, he uses the word "destroyed", such a thing) these days, though I think there are still some people who want this kind of anime."

Walter said:
It's because Flash is stretching the image to fit in an improper way. If you make your browser window smaller, it looks OK. But yeah, definitely shitty in a modern resolution window.

Yeah. I mean I don't mind the Flash, it's the fact the pictures are too small compared to the average screen resolution in use around the world. Everybody's in 1280x1024 or higher nowadays.

Walter said:
It's real, it's coming, and we'll have five trailers about SOMETHING by this time next week. Worst-case scenario, it'll just be animated commercials to promote the release of volume 35. And that wouldn't even be so bad :void:

The old YA commercials featuring Berserk were awesome, so I expect those new ones to be as well. I think the ones on TV will just be about the series in general and volume 35 in particular, but the Web-only one might touch upon the new animation project. Maybe they'll all tease it in a way, but it seems a bit early.

Slime_Beherit said:
I didn't think so many would be excited.

Really? The opposite would have been very surprising.

Slime_Beherit said:
I'm still gonna watch(probably buy it too) but I don't see how it can be better than the manga.Might be good for music though or more a cheery Berserk opening theme telling me to my glasses on.

It won't be better than the manga, that's a certainty. But if it's well done it could be a good companion, providing us with a wealth of animated GIFs and sound clips. :ubik:

Aazealh said:
Let's not exaggerate. :iva:

What happens in the Abyss stays in the Abyss :slan:

Hard to say. According to the person who originally posted them they were made in 2008, and this new animation project is apparently just starting. But whatever the case, they lacked the quality required to meet my expectations. I'm repeating myself but I really hope the new project will be worthy of the Berserk name.

I personally thought the quality, whilst a little rough, showed a fair amount of potential, certainly over the 97 adaptation. But this is just opinion.

The old YA commercials featuring Berserk were awesome, so I expect those new ones to be as well. I think the ones on TV will just be about the series in general and volume 35 in particular, but the Web-only one might touch upon the new animation project. Or maybe they'll all tease it in to some extent, but it seems a bit early.

Old commercials? are there any videos of these I can see online?
I do hope we get some snippets of the animation or hopefully a run down of what the new anime will cover by the weekend, I'm anticipating something really good from this, I just hope we're not let down.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I personally thought the quality, whilst a little rough, showed a fair amount of potential, certainly over the 97 adaptation. But this is just opinion.

Looks less dated, sure (obviously), but it's still a generic anime style that I find rather soulless. Doesn't do justice to Miura's character design. Which is to say, better than bad isn't necessarily good. :slan:

But let's wait until we see actual footage from this new project before we start discussing how good/bad it looks.

JezzaX said:
Old commercials? are there any videos of these I can see online?

Unfortunately while I have the lamer ones online, for some reason I never uploaded the good stuff. I'll do that tonight. Be warned though, it's mostly the YA logo's little dance at the end that never ceases to amuse me. :farnese:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Great, something else to look forward to. Where might I see the 'lamer' ones in the mean time Aaz?

If you insist, here are two of them, but they don't feature Berserk at all so they're of no interest: 01 | 02

EDIT: And here's the coolest!

Haha, that first one is great. Thanks for that Aaz, I'll try to keep it on topic now. If you happen to upload the Berserk related ones later I would appreciate a PM.

S

Saintly pants

I wonder if this will be the Berserk equivalent of Hellsing: Ultimate, wich was i huge improvement over the original anime. Especially when it came to animation quality, staying true to the manga, voice acting, Blood/tits/gore... Actually: it was better in every way!

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Saintly pants said:
Blood/tits/gore...

I'm pretty sure that there was absolutely no nudity in Hellsing. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the closest thing to nudity was when we (Finally :troll:) see Seras' undies when she kicked the door down in the final chapter. I agree though, the OVAs are better in every way.

As mentioned before, Hellsing is a lot shorter than Berserk. The even had to add in extra content to make the OVA about an hour long to stick to the 1 volume = 1 OVA idea. I honestly don't see Berserk getting 35+ OVAs, even if they include several volumes of story into one OVA, thats still more that I think they'll be willing to make.

But, I'd LOVE to be wrong!

I hope it isn't something like the original anime remastered in HD or something... Like Dragonball Kai. But I doubt it will be. Ah, those trailers can't come soon enough.

S

Saintly pants

Oh there was one bit of open nudity in Hellsing: Ultimate. It involved a forced flashback and corpse rape. And it was NASTY!

Thinking of it, if they can put something like that on a DVD, it looks promising for a Berserk OVA going all out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
perros said:
Ah, those trailers can't come soon enough.

Don't get too excited about the commercials, like I said they're not supposed to be about the new anime but about the release of volume 35. The whole thing is pretty ambiguous, so we ought to be careful before getting too excited.

Anyway, according to some Japanese guy on Twitter it could be in full CG and is being made with motion capture. Guy says he heard it from the source, but of course there's no guarantee it's true.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Saintly pants said:
Oh there was one bit of open nudity in Hellsing: Ultimate. It involved a forced flashback and corpse rape. And it was NASTY!

Hmm, I didn't notice any actual nudity during Seras flashback to her family. Thanks for clearing that up!

Saintly pants said:
Thinking of it, if they can put something like that on a DVD, it looks promising for a Berserk OVA going all out.

I don't think the content of Berserk will need to be heavily censored. Censorship is the last thing I'm concerned about with the new animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom