New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
First, if that is a preview of an upcoming anime, then great.

BUT, I don't like the looks of this, the ad does resemble those stills from a while back, and it now explains why it would have shots of Black Swordsman era Guts, Casca, and Puck mixed in with a shot of Zodd from volume 5. Unfortunately, it's explained in the context of these commercials, now that we see one jumping around chronologically like that. Whatever the case, this is just bad communication all around. No mention on the revamped site of an anime, as I pointed out when I was kidding about it being a prank (hopefully, it won't amount to as much). Walter and I were talking about the confusion surrounding this last night, whether the commercials had anything to do with the anime or just volume 35, and we joked about the worst case scenario: that the "new animation" was referring only to the commercials for volume 35. I still hope it's just that, a joke, but in any case, the PR campaign surrounding all this, including the new website is, quite frankly, terrible.

P.S. If you think that's being harsh, the website design is so poor it only formats to stretch to fit by width, so on my laptop, the top of the image and Berserk logo is cut off. I thought it was supposed to be that way until I minimized it, because who does such a amateur work on a professional website these days? I could design a better Berserk website! Actually, I have, years ago, in high school... not good. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I would love to see a entire revamp. I just don't know what they want do yet.

Well that commercial footage shows scenes from the Golden Age arc, the Millennium Falcon arc and possibly the Conviction arc as well (Guts' armor casts a doubt, but I suspect an error from whoever drew it. Off to a good start!).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Now I'm worried. However, the update to the ANN article makes me a little more hopeful.

Update: Director Hiroyuki Kitakubo wrote in his Twitter account on Tuesday that he heard that 4[blank]C is making Berserk as a full-CG anime. He added that [blank]°C might be attempting to make an in-house motion capture studio. He prefaced his comments by saying that he apologizes in advance if someone considers what he posts to be confidential information. Thanks, braves. [Via raito-kun]

Updated at 2010-09-28 13:04:58

Maybe STUDIO4℃?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Now I'm worried. However, the update to the ANN article makes me a little more hopeful.

Maybe STUDIO4℃?

Yeah I already posted about that news on page 3, before we saw the video. It doesn't answer the current question though: is this a full-fledged animated series or a series or short promotional clips?

On the positive side of things, it was said that more information would be provided both on YA's website and in the magazine. Since the magazine comes out next week and the commercials have been spaced to bridge the gap until now and then, I think it might hint at an attempt to tease the fans concerning this new animation project before the big reveal. I mean would they really have information in the magazine about a series of commercials? I want to believe it's more than that.

I wonder if Mr. Kitakubo was only going to make a short animated promotional ad for volume 35, would he feel the need and excitement to announce it? I think the excitment of a whole new anime would be enough for him to break his silence. Of course we just don't know. :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I wonder if Mr. Kitakubo was only going to make a short animated promotional ad for volume 35, would he feel the need and excitement to announce it?

What Uriel said. The guy's just saying he heard that Studio 4°C was making it. Please pay attention. :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with the skeptical party on this one, now.

A lot has happened in the past two days. Let's review the facts:

-Volume 35's slipcover indicates a new animated project, says to stay tuned for more information.
-The Berserk Official Corner website is revamped with a "Commercial Film" section, that details the release schedule of commercials.
-A Twitter account is created to post updates about the aforementioned "Commerical Film" also being called the "CM."
-A 15-second TV spot is broadcast on NTV at around midnight Wednesday in Japan, featuring animated scenes from scattered portions of the manga, ending with a promotion for vol 35's release.

There has not been any further indication about what the animation project is. The term "animated series" has yet to be used in any of these promotions. Taken completely at face value, this is the animated project.

PS: Five pages in just over 24 hours? Where the hell were you guys over the summer? :azan:

Walter said:
I'm with the skeptical party on this one, now.

A lot has happened in the past two days. Let's review the facts:

-Volume 35's slipcover indicates a new animated project, says to stay tuned for more information.
-The Berserk Official Corner website is revamped with a "Commercial Film" section, that details the release schedule of commercials.
-A Twitter account is created to post updates about the aforementioned "Commerical Film" also being called the "CM."
-A 15-second TV spot is broadcast on NTV at around midnight Wednesday in Japan, featuring animated scenes from scattered portions of the manga, ending with a promotion for vol 35's release.

There has not been any further indication about what the animation project is. The term "animated series" has yet to be used in any of these promotions. Taken completely at face value, this is the animated project.

PS: Five pages in just over 24 hours? Where the hell were you guys over the summer? :azan:

Yeah, as much as I was hoping for this to pan out, it just doesn't feel right saying all these news bits are supporting full a fledged anime series at the moment. :judo:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Death May Die said:
Yeah, as much as I was hoping for this to pan out, it just doesn't feel right saying all these news bits are supporting full a fledged anime series at the moment. :judo:

I'm so confused. I feel like I'm a baby and they're teasing me with a lollypop.

Hey kiddo, want a lollypop?

YES!!! D :

Okay! Here's a wrapper...maybe it's part of a lollypop...maybe not!

I'm going to do the same thing I do with sonic games in order not to have my soul crushed, which is not to jump to conclusions. Although I do hope for the best, and damn if that animation (whatever it is) doesn't look good. Griffith looks fantastic. Very 2010.

Whilst I fully support the skeptical side to all this, my optimistic side keeps going over

- This a lot of effort to appease to a minority of people who would ONLY want to see 15 second shorts
- The project seems to have been going on for some time, why has it taken so long to get to this moment? Unless they were just waiting on the release of Volume 35?
- Why dot the animation across various parts of the Berserk story and release it in 15 second segments over a week? I can't see the logic, other than to tease the people who want an anime.
- Why show off these shorts AFTER the release of the manga instead of building up to it?
- Why revamp the Young Animal site after such a lengthy time for a few adverts?

The only thing I can think of, is this could also be a water test to see how much buzz it creates to potentially green light a new Berserk series? I'm sure we'll discover more over the coming week. I hope they speak up sooner rather than later though, otherwise we're going to have one mass internet groan.

Aphasia

Looking at the animation from an objective standpoint, it doesn't make sense to advertise volume 35. If the clips were meant to promote the volume, wouldn't they...perhaps have content from said volume?

JezzaX has some good points. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess all we can do is wait around for someone to announce some more official news on the matter.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
The only thing I can think of, is this could also be a water test to see how much buzz it creates to potentially green light a new Berserk series?

That's a possibility. They might also have had that test footage done a while back (2 years ago?) and decided to use it now rather than let it forever untouched. The 2 hypotheses being compatible with each other. Personally I'll remain hopeful until we get the final word on this story. I think they're making way too big a deal of this stuff for it to just amount to a marketing ploy. In any case it'll only be a week at most until we know for sure, so let's just try and be patient in the meantime.

P.S. Is it just me or does the Griffith footage look better than the Guts one? What if they took some old test footage, a preview of which we'd already gotten a year ago, and slapped it together with new footage in order to have something comprehensive to show?

Aazealh said:
P.S. Is it just me or does the Griffith footage look better than the Guts one? What if they took some old test footage, a preview of which we'd already gotten a year ago, and slapped it together with new footage in order to have something comprehensive to show?

I think the reason you would have that impression is due to the different angle and frames of animation. The Griffith footage is obviously intended to have a light blooming effect and is meant to be a slow moving atmospheric shot, while the Guts' footage is dark and fast with far more movement, so obviously harder to animate well.

Something else that has come to mind. Maybe this isn't a series but in fact a whole new project where they tell separate stories throughout Berserk in 15-30 minute shorts/episodes, a lot like The Animatrix, Gotham Knight and Halo Legends have done before now?

Aazealh said:

I don't think they're that different. Well, a single episode of an anime can have scenes that vary in quality of animation and art, and the contrast between the two scenes on the commercial isn't strong enough for me to notice anything, at least.

Young Animal you're tearing me APART!

I'm going to stay optimistic... because frankly, at this point... there is no turning back for me now. Too much emotion on the heart. My mind will not be able to comprehend anything afterwards if this new animated project ends up just being the commercials. I swear, I will end up like Casca :???:.

On a side note, read those comments on the youtube video. HAHAHAH, there are some happy fans I'm telling you!!! Berserk peeps are going nuts!!!

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
Young Animal you're tearing me APART!

This was read by Mark in my mind.
DirectDK said:
I'm going to stay optimistic... because frankly, at this point... there is no turning back for me now. Too much emotion on the heart. My mind will not be able to comprehend anything afterwards if this new animated project ends up just being the commercials. I swear, I will end up like Casca :???:.
If that's the case, I'd be happy to take care of your statues. :ganishka:

DirectDK said:
On a side note, read those comments on the youtube video. HAHAHAH, there are some happy fans I'm telling you!!! Berserk peeps are going nuts!!!

Yeah, I just noticed that the translation of the text is 'Berserk Begins'. So is Christopher Nolan doing another reboot? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I think the reason you would have that impression is due to the different angle and frames of animation. The Griffith footage is obviously intended to have a light blooming effect and is meant to be a slow moving atmospheric shot, while the Guts' footage is dark and fast with far more movement, so obviously harder to animate well.

Of course, but the Guts segment looks distinctly gross to me so I was looking for some kind of reassurance here. Thanks for nothing! :ganishka:

JezzaX said:
Something else that has come to mind. Maybe this isn't a series but in fact a whole new project where they tell separate stories throughout Berserk in 15-30 minute shorts/episodes, a lot like The Animatrix, Gotham Knight and Halo Legends have done before now?

Sounds plausible. It's not like they could have animated so much of the series already if they were planning to do it all anyway.

I mean, all these scenes from various arcs could be flashbacks. Also, why 35? Why make such a big deal over 35? I mean, it's great but 34 was the real ZOMG volume of the last 2. New site, new commercial for vol. 35 with new animation. Idk...Maybe an OVA. I would say an OVA is more likely than an entire series. Who knows, I don't.

Aazealh said:
Of course, but the Guts segment looks distinctly gross to me so I was looking for some kind of reassurance here. Thanks for nothing! :ganishka:

Apologies Aaz, I was just saying what I saw :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Sounds plausible. It's not like they could have animated so much of the series already if they were planning to do it all anyway.

I hope I'm wrong and that this is a whole new series and they're just showing off random test footage they have done from later episodes. Since, if it were something like 7 or so short films then it means it would be many many more years before we see a faithful representation of the Berserk series as a whole.

Aphasia said:
If that's the case, I'd be happy to take care of your statues. :ganishka:

You know, in all seriousness, if this ends up being a full fledged series, it's gonna make Berserk statue/kit collecting even more cut throat than it already is! Better buy up your backlog of statues on YJ and ebay now!!!! :griffnotevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom