New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Also, why 35? Why make such a big deal over 35? I mean, it's great but 34 was the real ZOMG volume of the last 2.

Maybe simply to boost up sales? Last year was the 20th anniversary and they did a special event for it which coincided with volume 34's release. This year we get something else (regardless of the anime business, volume 35 is clearly being promoted here, that's undeniable).

JezzaX said:
I hope I'm wrong and that this is a whole new series and they're just showing off random test footage they have done from later episodes.

If you check the Guts footage from the commercial, it matches up with one of the pictures we got last year, the one of Guts in the woods. It's clearly the same scene as far as I'm concerned. Now, if we believe what the guy who originally posted it said, that footage was from 2008. That means it's over 2 years old and would mark it almost certainly as test footage.

Aazealh said:
If you check the Guts footage from the commercial, it matches up with one of the pictures we got last year, the one of Guts in the woods. It's clearly the same scene as far as I'm concerned. Now, if we believe what the guy who originally posted it said, that footage was from 2008. That means it's over 2 years old and would mark it almost certainly as test footage.

It's hard to know what to make of it all though. Surely the footage of Guts taking on soldiers from that same scene is to be shown in one way or another. If none of those pictures show up in any footage from the 5 shorts we're due to be given, then it could be safe to assume there's more to it. If we're going back as far as 2008 since they first started dealing with this footage, it's been one HECK of a long time and a lot of money to do just an ad for TV, so the way I see it we're more than likely going to get something else. I doubt very much this was devised just to boost manga sales.

DirectDK said:
You know, in all seriousness, if this ends up being a full fledged series, it's gonna make Berserk statue/kit collecting even more cut throat than it already is! Better buy up your backlog of statues on YJ and ebay now!!!! :griffnotevil:

Hopefully we would see production of new, or at least, more statues due to the popularity from the anime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
Surely the footage of Guts taking on soldiers from that same scene is to be shown in one way or another.

It's basically the next frame in that scene, so it's like we've seen it already as far as I'm concerned.

JezzaX said:
If none of those pictures show up in any footage from the 5 shorts we're due to be given, then it could be safe to assume there's more to it. If we're going back as far as 2008 since they first started dealing with this footage, it's been one HECK of a long time and a lot of money to do just an ad for TV, so the way I see it we're more than likely going to get something else. I doubt very much this was devised just to boost manga sales.

See what I said:

Aazealh said:
That's a possibility. They might also have had that test footage done a while back (2 years ago?) and decided to use it now rather than let it forever untouched.

Who knows, that special web-only commercial might just be the whole footage put together for all we know.

Also, notice how there's no sound accompanying the clip. No sound effects or voice acting. Just music (the singer is called "Tomo the Tomo" for those who care) and Gackt's narration. That's consistent with test footage.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
When Hellsing Ultimate was being promoted, there was a video called Broken English that was used showing footage from multiple parts of the series. Some of the footage was redone and some is from later in the series and hasn't even been animated properly yet. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a good chance this is all test footage, like Aaz said, and isn't from the series proper. The good news is that it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't going to be an OVA or TV series, just that they're using this to promote Vol. 35 and tease us a bit about the upcoming anime (as others have said). I'm going to stay optimistic at this point.

yesmilord

千年王国
DirectDK said:
You know, in all seriousness, if this ends up being a full fledged series, it's gonna make Berserk statue/kit collecting even more cut throat than it already is! Better buy up your backlog of statues on YJ and ebay now!!!! :griffnotevil:

Sadly, Derek, that's the FIRST thing that came to my mind. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:

Yeah, out of several 20-minute episodes of an anime series, why would they use exactly the old 2008 footage of Guts fighting (with no noticeable improvements) for the commercial? Maybe because there's not enough footage?

Aazealh said:
Also, notice how there's no sound accompanying the clip. No sound effects or voice acting. Just music (the singer is called "Tomo the Tomo" for those who care) and Gackt's narration. That's consistent with test footage.

And why would they focus so much on Gackt voicing the commercials? They even wrote "Voice: Gackt" on the last frames. It's like there's nothing to look forward to but these commercials.

Like Walter said, so far there has been no mention of an anime series. Not on the new website, not on the commercial, not on the Twitter account. It reeks of test footage being reused to promote the manga.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
The good news is that it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't going to be an OVA or TV series, just that they're using this to promote Vol. 35 and tease us a bit about the upcoming anime (as others have said). I'm going to stay optimistic at this point.

Exactly. Just because the commercial footage is animated doesn't necessarily mean it's from the new project, like I said a while ago. But regardless of what's what, I can't help but reiterate that this promotional campaign is terribly confusing. It's baffling, the way they're handling it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
So there isn't a new anime? Just random sequences to promote volume 35? That hurts. :judo:

Nothing is sure yet; don't jump to conclusions. There's a project starting, we just don't know what it is. We have to be patient and wait for definitive information.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Irvine said:
So there isn't a new anime? Just random sequences to promote volume 35? That hurts. :judo:

We don't know that yet, it's much more promising than if there was nothing about an animation or animated commercials, it's just unfortunate that we're kind of left twisting in the wind without definitive confirmation and details. I mean, look at all this speculation (some of which we could have come up with without any announcement, like about test footage, etc), if it's an attempt to create buzz for an anime, mission accomplished, if there is no anime, EPIC FAIL.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Sneeze and you'd miss him. Anyone fancy a role for Mr. Gackt if this thing actually happens?

Maybe Miura has already started writing out a part for him :void:

lyuogacktgd1.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Sneeze and you'd miss him. Anyone fancy a role for Mr. Gackt if this thing actually happens?

Why not Griffith? Not that I dislike the usual guy or anything, but it seems fitting if he were to play a part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Why not Griffith? Not that I dislike the usual guy or anything, but it seems fitting if he were to play a part.
Yeah I also liked him in this. I dunno though, I can see how he might be able to pull off Griffith, but he sounds a little too rough for the part to me.

If they do end up changing the VAs though, I'd like Guts to be voiced by someone who can fill his 6 foot frame. The former voice actor, while nailing the rough tone, always sounded too high-pitched when he was screaming (RAAAAH instead of ROOOUUUAAAHHHH if that makes any sense :farnese: ).

The commercial doesn't even have nothing to do with Volume 35. My prediction is their will be an animated series and its going to be a remake of the first season and have more of course. The style of animation is a thousand times better than the old anime.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
That seems to be the popular choice on a certain image board.

I dunno, I like Toshiyuki Morikawa. Guts would also feel weird if it wasn't the original too. Hard to say. It's been so long.

Everything here is confusing. Aaz you're right, he has a good narrating voice. Like it too. But i don't think he would be the best choice for griffith. he should have a warm,soft but authorative voice.
Anyway, am i the only one that didn't like the scene in the snow? It was a bit exaggerated and dramatic. I thought of a very gentle but very depressing scenario. and not with a fountains of snow and a camera surge.. :beast:

Walter said:
Yeah I also liked him in this. I dunno though, I can see how he might be able to pull off Griffith, but he sounds a little too rough for the part to me.

If they do end up changing the VAs though, I'd like Guts to be voiced by someone who can fill his 6 foot frame. The former voice actor, while nailing the rough tone, always sounded too high-pitched when he was screaming (RAAAAH instead of ROOOUUUAAAHHHH if that makes any sense :farnese: ).

The voice actor for Guts in the English dub was very good. Actually, everyone in the English dub sounded and performed great. We probably won't be seeing the original cast for both the Japanese and English Media Blaster cast coming back. I'm guessing in Japan Studio 4C will be doing all the work for the series, while in America Funimation does the promotion/licensing.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
PublicEnemy said:
The voice actor for Guts in the English dub was very good. Actually, everyone in the English dub sounded and performed great. We probably won't be seeing the original cast for both the Japanese and English Media Blaster cast coming back. I'm guessing in Japan Studio 4C will be doing all the work for the series, while in America Funimation does the promotion/licensing.

I completely disagree, I'd want everyone replaced instead of using the (dubbed) cast.

kaimera said:
Anyway, am i the only one that didn't like the scene in the snow? It was a bit exaggerated and dramatic. I thought of a very gentle but very depressing scenario. and not with a fountains of snow and a camera surge.. :beast:
The only thing that bothers me is that if it`s supposed to be the scene Guts left the Hawks, it`s just wrong :azan: Guts wasnt wearing an armor! Plus, Griffith`s sword doesnt look broken, but there`s not enough to tell, really....
Thing is I cant tell any other scene that one was referencing to....

PublicEnemy said:

I disagree. I can watch the anime, provided it's in Japanese, the English dubs were nasty in my opinion, they just appeared lifeless and comedic. Mind you it's not often that an English dub is done to a good standard, unless it's ADV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom