New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Oh, you don't have to take my word for it, but Miura's, however...

I remember that, but the devil's advocate in me wonders if he's referring to, perhaps jokingly, the commercial films themselves? :troll:

Walter said:
Whoa, whoa! There's no need for controversy. All I meant was that nothing has been formally announced by a production company, and yes we don't have any details. All we have are commercials and a few blurbs from people who would know about these things (Miura and whoever at YA that's running the Berserk twitter). Will it be something that will air on television? Will it be a direct-to-market OAV? Will it be coming in 2011 or 2015? Will it be a WEB EXCLUSIVE online anime? Nothing's known other than something will be animated, eventually, by someone, about Berserk. Hopefully.

Or, was it animated and we already saw it!? :carcus:

Anyway, I'm too much an optimist to actually believe nothing is supposed to come of this, but the lack of an official press release with some of the basic details Walter mentions is frustrating, and makes the project seem far away and unreal.

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
The berserk twitter feed just posted a few new tweets. I can't make hide nor hair of them other than January 8th 2011 being important! :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
scroto said:
The berserk twitter feed just posted a few new tweets. I can't make hide nor hair of them other than January 8th 2011 being important! :isidro:

Well there's not much more to be said. They apologize for not having updated in a while, then say there'll be an important announcement on January 8th. The next message says that Berserk will "start to move" in 2011 with something other than the TV CMs. Last one tells people who have inquiries to check out the official website.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
January 8? That's 2 days after ma' birfday! This better be huuuuge news. I'm starting to feel a little impatient. I hope it's not another announcement regarding TV commercials. As cool as they are, I'd like a little more solid news regarding the actual "project."

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Gobolatula said:
January 8? That's 2 days after ma' birfday! This better be huuuuge news. I'm starting to feel a little impatient. I hope it's not another announcement regarding TV commercials. As cool as they are, I'd like a little more solid news regarding the actual "project."

I'll second this and raise you one. I wouldn't mind having the finished blu-ray product sitting in my lap right now. :guts: Hopefully we'll hear some exciting news come the 8th. Patience is a virtue!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Two new messages on the Twitter account, but nothing special announced. Guy's just rambling and acting all surprised that his announcements get responses from all over the world.

If this turns out to be a new anime series, I hope they won't focus too much on the Golden Age. I know some manga purists weren't happy with the old series, but for all intents and purposes it got the job done and I enjoyed it. I'd prefer they put their time and energy into animating a new arc.

Is there any one arc people would prefer over the rest?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
I know some manga purists weren't happy with the old series, but for all intents and purposes it got the job done and I enjoyed it. I'd prefer they put their time and energy into animating a new arc.

It doesn't take a purist to be aware of the many flaws and failings of the first TV series, but that doesn't mean anyone would want another series to just cover the Golden Age arc. Besides it's not like the material we've seen so far is exempt of problems, far from it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The guy posting the Berserk_Twitter really comes across as an excitable moron. That could be Google Translate's fault though.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Doc said:
I always wanted to see the troll story, through Guts VS Slan, through Guts getting the Berserker Armor through Guts VS Grunbeld...

...Imagine Griffith VS Giant Ganishka animated.

Aazealh said:
It doesn't take a purist to be aware of the many flaws and failings of the first TV series

I know it had its problems outside of that, but the main criticism of the TV series is that it wasn't faithful to Miura's original work.

Aazealh said:
but that doesn't mean anyone would want another series to just cover the Golden Age arc.

I never said they would and yet I wouldn't rule it out.

Aazealh said:
Besides it's not like the material we've seen so far is exempt of problems, far from it.

You'll probably redirect me, but can you elaborate?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
I know it had its problems outside of that, but the main criticism of the TV series is that it wasn't faithful to Miura's original work.

And you don't have to be a purist to take issue with the drastic changes that took place in the TV series.

Doc said:
I never said they would and yet I wouldn't rule it out.

You can't have it both ways... But I don't even see the point of discussing this since the CMs feature scenes from 3 different arcs, including the Golden Age.

Doc said:
You'll probably redirect me, but can you elaborate?

Read the thread.

Aazealh said:
And you don't have to be a purist to take issue with the drastic changes that took place in the TV series.

You do if it stops you from appreciating the TV series on its own merit.

Aazealh said:
You can't have it both ways... But I don't even see the point of discussing this since the CMs feature scenes from 3 different arcs, including the Golden Age.

I said I didn't want the new project to focus "too much" on the Golden Age.

Aazealh said:
Read the thread.

Right.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
You do if it stops you from appreciating the TV series on its own merit.

Says who? The TV series' only merit aside from its soundtrack is its story, which is arguably and undeniably inferior to the source material in every possible way and to a rather great extent. So no, you don't have to be a "purist" to be unsatisfied with it.

Doc said:
I said I didn't want the new project to focus "too much" on the Golden Age.

Uh huh. You want them to focus on it, but not too much. Right.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Gobolatula said:
I always wanted to see the troll story, through Guts VS Slan, through Guts getting the Berserker Armor through Guts VS Grunbeld...

...Imagine Griffith VS Giant Ganishka animated.

Now this is all that i don't want in a new series, and what i fear that most of the fanbase is salivating for - animated versus matches.

Doc said:

Besides the Golden Age, my preference goes to the Conviction arc, 14/15 up to 21. And bring on Susumu to score it.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
You got me wrong, sir. I simply noted the "VS" parts as recognizable story points to indicate which parts I'd like to see animated. Yes, the fights I mentioned are AWESOME. And I'd love to see them animated. But please, don't pass me off as some meathead.

That's the part of the story where we meet Schierke, and Guts' new group really becomes Guts' new friends. Getting through that series of events is what solidified the group as THE group to me. They had to deal with the trolls / ogre / kelpie AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER had to rescue Casca / Farnese THEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER returned to see Flora's home set ablaze by this new Band of the Falcon THEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER Guts gets the Berserker Armor. It was an intense marathon of craziness. Both physically and emotionally, there is a LOT of stuff that happened to the group.

So, excuuuuuuuse me for not elaborating.

I'm pretty bummed that after months we haven't seen one piece of substantiated evidence that there's a new anime series in production. Everything concerning a new anime has immediately been linked to the CMs followed by these little teasings that seem intentionally ambiguous. So whatever the outcome is, fuck you for doing this to the fans Young Animal.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
HTML:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FPxY8lpYAUM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Eluvei said:
So whatever the outcome is, fuck you for doing this to the fans Young Animal.
Aw, there's no need for the F-Bomb in this situation. I admit the lack of information is a little annoying and downright strange, but I don't think it's enough to warrant anger or hate. We'll get a real announcement soon enough. I actually look back fondly on the CMs, even if that's all we get in the end. Those were good times :sad:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
(Funny Link Video)
haha I'm glad you got what I was going for there.

I gotta admit, I would be a little bummed if the new project was covering the Golden Age arc, but then again, if there was promise of more beyond that, I wouldn't mind at all.

I'm really hoping Susumu Hirasawa will return to his throne and compose the next soundtrack. I've been a devoted fan of his work since the TV series and even when listening to his regular tracks I can't help but feel attached to Berserk. For me, it's become synonymous with the franchise itself.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Gobolatula said:
You got me wrong, sir. I simply noted the "VS" parts as recognizable story points to indicate which parts I'd like to see animated. Yes, the fights I mentioned are AWESOME. And I'd love to see them animated. But please, don't pass me off as some meathead.

That's the part of the story where we meet Schierke, and Guts' new group really becomes Guts' new friends. Getting through that series of events is what solidified the group as THE group to me. They had to deal with the trolls / ogre / kelpie AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER had to rescue Casca / Farnese THEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER returned to see Flora's home set ablaze by this new Band of the Falcon THEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER Guts gets the Berserker Armor. It was an intense marathon of craziness. Both physically and emotionally, there is a LOT of stuff that happened to the group.

We can't forget that Griffith and Guts are the most important characters in this story. I don't know about you, but i believe all the events up to the reincarnation of Griffith are more substantial for those who only saw the tv show (winning both fans and casual viewers), and wouldn't it be more appropriate to introduce the new group rather than meeting them already on their journey? Besides, there's no major drama during the "troll saga", no payoff or way to end the show than the group going on their way again. Putting aside the armor, it's just "middle of the road" Berserk. All the events before and after are way more juicy. The situations you mention wouldn't work for an anime show as a whole. It sounds more like fan service to me with a bunch of new characters thrown around, rather than a cohesive narrative, which i think is the most important factor - not just animate some episodes we like.
I'd prefer if they fill in the major holes between the first anime and the manga in a couple of episodes and carry on with the story where the anime left. Ending with the ceremony. I can see it now, Skullknight's finger pointing, Guts face in awe and cut to Griffith. The end. Full circle. Another great cliffhanger paving the way for a season 3 eh.

Doc said:
I'm really hoping Susumu Hirasawa will return to his throne and compose the next soundtrack. I've been a devoted fan of his work since the TV series and even when listening to his regular tracks I can't help but feel attached to Berserk. For me, it's become synonymous with the franchise itself.

Since he has contributed to all other Berserk related medium, i'd be surprised if he wasn't on board with this project.

Walter said:
Aw, there's no need for the F-Bomb in this situation. I admit the lack of information is a little annoying and downright strange, but I don't think it's enough to warrant anger or hate. We'll get a real announcement soon enough. I actually look back fondly on the CMs, even if that's all we get in the end. Those were good times :sad:

:farnese: I'm sorry.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Eluvei said:
I'm pretty bummed that after months we haven't seen one piece of substantiated evidence that there's a new anime series in production. Everything concerning a new anime has immediately been linked to the CMs followed by these little teasings that seem intentionally ambiguous. So whatever the outcome is, fuck you for doing this to the fans Young Animal.
f-bomb%20fuck%20fing%20f-word%20f%20word.jpg

Take Cover!! :guts:
NightCrawler said:
I'd prefer if they fill in the major holes between the first anime and the manga in a couple of episodes and carry on with the story where the anime left. Ending with the ceremony. I can see it now, Skullknight's finger pointing, Guts face in awe and cut to Griffith. The end. Full circle. Another great cliffhanger paving the way for a season 3 eh.

Since he has contributed to all other Berserk related medium, i'd be surprised if he wasn't on board with this project.

This is the direction I'd like to see them take as well. I think you'd be surprised by how many people just watch the anime and think "Well shit, that ending was balls" starting where the last one left off sounds like a good idea to me. That would be a seriously great way to end a season. I hope this project turns out to be a financial success for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom