New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I liked the ending on the old anime. made me feel crappy all day the next day in school :sad: but it was cool because it wasnt the same old, good guy wins routine.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
NightCrawler said:
We can't forget that Griffith and Guts are the most important characters in this story. I don't know about you, but i believe all the events up to the reincarnation of Griffith are more substantial for those who only saw the tv show (winning both fans and casual viewers), and wouldn't it be more appropriate to introduce the new group rather than meeting them already on their journey? Besides, there's no major drama during the "troll saga", no payoff or way to end the show than the group going on their way again. Putting aside the armor, it's just "middle of the road" Berserk. All the events before and after are way more juicy. The situations you mention wouldn't work for an anime show as a whole. It sounds more like fan service to me with a bunch of new characters thrown around, rather than a cohesive narrative, which i think is the most important factor - not just animate some episodes we like.
I'd prefer if they fill in the major holes between the first anime and the manga in a couple of episodes and carry on with the story where the anime left. Ending with the ceremony. I can see it now, Skullknight's finger pointing, Guts face in awe and cut to Griffith. The end. Full circle. Another great cliffhanger paving the way for a season 3 eh.
Oh, I didn't mean to say those are the *only* parts I want to see animated. Now, that would just be silly. Obviously the material you mentioned would have to be done. I'm simply stating what I want to see animated as part of a new project. It's one of my favorite parts.

Truder said:
I liked the ending on the old anime. made me feel crappy all day the next day in school :sad: but it was cool because it wasnt the same old, good guy wins routine.

I find it funny how some people watched the series and cried: "Is that it!? Does Guts survive!?"
Umm....watch the first episode? :guts:

It was a really tragic cliffhanger to finish on, though. I assumed they left it that way so people would rush out to buy the manga and find out what happened next. Too bad we never got to see Skull Knight gatecrash the party...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
more substantial for those who only saw the tv show (winning both fans and casual viewers)

I don't think you're reasoning properly here. This new animation isn't going to be "season 2". What we've seen so far seems to indicate that they're taking a fresh start, which is the best thing they could do. As for the casual viewers that you speak of, if they're truly casual, they haven't seen the show in 13 years. Lastly, like I mentioned recently, we've seen scenes from 3 different arcs, including the Millennium Falcon arc. It's kind of odd that you would say that Guts & Griffith are the most important characters to justify a focus on the Conviction arc, considering Griffith is almost completely absent from it until the incarnation.

NightCrawler said:
Besides, there's no major drama during the "troll saga", no payoff or way to end the show than the group going on their way again. Putting aside the armor, it's just "middle of the road" Berserk. All the events before and after are way more juicy.

I'd like to remind you that the Millennium Falcon arc ends with the advent of Falconia, which is about the "juiciest" thing in the series. As for the events that took place from volume 23 to 27, I can't agree that they contain less drama or "juice" than say Jill's story or the life of destitute people in Albion. They feature some of the most important moments of the story, including the introduction of Guts' new companions. If I had to call something "middle of the road", then it'd be the Lost Children chapter.

Which isn't to say that the Conviction arc should be "skipped" or anything, but I don't think one part of the story is more deserving of being animated than another.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
I don't think you're reasoning properly here. This new animation isn't going to be "season 2". What we've seen so far seems to indicate that they're taking a fresh start, which is the best thing they could do. As for the casual viewers that you speak of, if they're truly casual, they haven't seen the show in 13 years. Lastly, like I mentioned recently, we've seen scenes from 3 different arcs, including the Millennium Falcon arc. It's kind of odd that you would say that Guts & Griffith are the most important characters to justify a focus on the Conviction arc, considering Griffith is almost completely absent from it until the incarnation.

I'd like to remind you that the Millennium Falcon arc ends with the advent of Falconia, which is about the "juiciest" thing in the series. As for the events that took place from volume 23 to 27, I can't agree that they contain less drama or "juice" than say Jill's story or the life of destitute people in Albion. They feature some of the most important moments of the story, including the introduction of Guts' new companions. If I had to call something "middle of the road", then it'd be the Lost Children chapter.

Which isn't to say that the Conviction arc should be "skipped" or anything, but I don't think one part of the story is more deserving of being animated than another.

I agree that the Lost Children chapter is quite "middle of the road". As much as the troll part, in my opinion. As for the absence of Griffith, i was just arguing for the sake of continuity. But as you point out, this ain't no season 2, so they can just recap the whole story in the beggining and start wherever they please, could be at the point where Guts gets the armor. Then carry the show till the end of the Falconia chapter, which i agree, is as "juiciest" as it gets.
I think, if they want to end the anime with as much impact as possible, the reincarnation and the beggining of the new world would be the most obvious choices. My preference goes for the first.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I don't consider any part of Berserk to be "middle of the road". If they're going to do a new series, I hope they start at the beginning and everything that follows up until an appropriate stopping point, whether that's Griffith's incarnation or the appearance of Falconia. It's all gold to me. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just for info, there's been quite a few new tweets on http://twitter.com/berserk_project, but nothing worth mentioning. The guy's trying his best to hype up the announcement that'll take place next Saturday and otherwise just replies to random people's comments as if it were his personal Twitter account.

Rhombaad said:
I don't consider any part of Berserk to be "middle of the road". If they're going to do a new series, I hope they start at the beginning and everything that follows up until an appropriate stopping point, whether that's Griffith's incarnation or the appearance of Falconia. It's all gold to me. :guts:

Now that's what I like to read.

OK here is my theory.

First of all Miura said recently that the Manga is around 70% done right now (some pro here posted this) so my guess is that they will start the anime from chapter one and do the remake. But when the remake finishes we will see more seasons which will follow the manga till the end! That is the best possible scenario for the fans.

I believe this because the trailer shows Skullknight which means they could follow the manga 100% this time in order to keep the anime series going for many years!

So since the first volume was published in 1990 then it took 20 years for 70-75%. for the remaining 30% the anime would have 5 years cushion not to catch up with the manga.

I think they can make it... start the anime from chapter one and by the time the manga finishes the anime series will finish at the same time!

Fingers crossed!

With some luck we'll get some anime spin-off movies too!

Serpico's Big Adventure: The Princess of the Fire Kingdom and The Deadly Twin Demons!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kavaron said:
First of all Miura said recently that the Manga is around 70% done right now (some pro here posted this) [...] So since the first volume was published in 1990 then it took 20 years for 70-75%. for the remaining 30% the anime would have 5 years cushion not to catch up with the manga.

Miura said it was around 60-70% done, and then warned that it was subject to change. Be careful not to stretch the facts to make them fit what you wish for. Besides you should note that the current release schedule is slower than what it used to be. So basically a perfect, simultaneous run is just not going to happen.

Aazealh said:
Miura said it was around 60-70% done, and then warned that it was subject to change. Be careful not to stretch the facts to make them fit what you wish for. Besides you should note that the current release schedule is slower than what it used to be. So basically a perfect, simultaneous run is just not going to happen.

You just ruined my dream... :judo:

I still believe one day we will see the whole series animated though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kavaron said:
I still believe one day we will see the whole series animated though.

That's the spirit, for now just rejoice that something is being done at all.

On the twitter side, the berserk_project account's updates are still of no interest, although the guy did mention that he didn't know at what time exactly the announcement would take place on the 8th. The latest update was in French and was supposedly sent from Paris... Seems completely random to me but whatever. It wishes all fans of "Berserk project" (just fans of Berserk itself wouldn't have cut it I guess :schierke:) a happy new year.

To be honest I wish whoever is managing this was being more professional about it. It feels so amateurish that it's kind of embarrassing.

Walter said:

Oh, sorry. I only visit that neogaf thread since the guy that leaked the pictures posts there: http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=25172566&postcount=578

The source of that moderator's rumor is most likely 2ch since that's where his videogame rumors usually come from, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom