New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I remember a long time ago, way before any of this news came out, we had thread where I think most of us agreed that if there was ever to be a new animation it should be a high quality OVA of the Lost Children Chapter. I still feel like that would be the best bet too. It's a self contained part of the story (chapter) that wouldn’t require the massive task of trying to explain everything in order to animate such an epic story arc like Millenium Falcon Arc, which judging from what we've seen in the commercials, it clearly will not even come close to the manga. I'm almost afraid of how it will look if they were to animate something like Griffiths battle with Ganishka. It won't surpass the manga by a long shot and I for one think that manga + my imagination = the most epic and incredible thing I have ever fucking seen. I don't want that to be distorted by some cheesy animation version of it all. It reminds of Harry Potter. Many years ago as a child I would read the books and imagine how magical and detailed all the characters, settings and events were. Then the movies came out and totally ruined it for me. Not only did they get tons of little annoying things wrong but since the series wasn't even finished yet, I had to try and erase the terrible mental images of everything in my mind when trying to read the new books. And I can't help but think that the author may have also had the movie's version of things in her mind when writing the rest of the books (even if subconsciously). I know it's a totally different medium and I'm not comparing the two at all, but it's just that type situation that I fear. Like Aaz said, ignoring the 1997 Berserk tv show or pretending that it doesn’t exist is a pretty damn good way of separating the two.

Basically all I'm saying is that the only way I think I could ever be satisfied with anime of Berserk is if they just kept it minimal and didn't overextend themselves by trying to animate the main storyline, because Berserk as a whole body of work is simply to long and complicated to pick and choose something that would not only satisfy the manga readers but also the anime only people. That’s why something like the Lost Children Chapter would be perfect IMO. That’s also why I think the Dreamcast game works better than the ps2 game. Sure it’s cool seeing certain events in the manga depicted in a video game, but the Dreamcast game works much better because it’s … smaller, I guess, even if it’s only considered semi-cannon or whatever. It’s certainly more interesting because your not sitting there thinking about how much they messed with the manga. The Lost Children Chapter is short enough for them to focus more on the details, and even expand a little and fill it out more with little tidbits of interesting enough content (given Miura’s approval of course).

Anyway that was just a hope of mine and some thoughts I had, sorry for being so long.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-05/berserk-project-to-be-theatrical-film

So yeah, it's a movie.

Meh. Better than nothing and we can still counting on movie budget as animation is concerned which is a pretty big plus. But if anything else this seems to serve the same purpose as the anime series in the sense that its a glorified advertisement for the manga since the only way i can see this movie working is giving an abridged version of the entire plot. Judging from the trailers where it's jumping from arc to arc, that's probably the case. Then again, i was expecting something along these lines, whether it was a movie or a OAV series. Berserk is almost impossible to properly adapt into anime format and the fact that it's getting a second go it's a pretty big deal in itself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deathbringer said:
Then again, i was expecting something along these lines, whether it was a movie or a OAV series. Berserk is almost impossible to properly adapt into anime format and the fact that it's getting a second go it's a pretty big deal in itself.

It couldn't have been a TV series and stayed faithful to the manga anyway (because of censorship), and even as an OAV series it'd have a hard time covering the whole story.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
If it's a movie then that means they are going to skip around a lot. right?

well, movie or ova, it is Berserk! and that is enough to rejoice about.

iamdani

Hobo
http://yfrog.com/gyfqethj
news-berserk.jpg

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I have been looking around for info on this and one person said these 'facts':

2011 release
Studio 4°C (Mind Game, Tekkon Street, Genius Party, etc.)
Series of movies adapting the manga from the start
Aims for worldwide market

people are rejoicing across the internet :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I think it'll be fun. Something's better than nothing, then again, if it's crappy it'll dent the series in a bad way for loyalists.

Nothing the TV series didn't already do, though we might be in for even more drastic cuts. But regardless of this project's quality, there'll always be the manga.

Anyway, adapting the "entire story" is pretty ambitious. I wonder exactly how they're planning to do it (i.e. I hope not by cutting out lots of material).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Anyway, adapting the "entire story" is pretty ambitious. I wonder exactly how they're planning to do it (i.e. I hope not by cutting out lots of material).

Hopefully they won't cut anything this time around. Whether or not what's in the films will be 100% accurate is another thing (the piece of armor Casca is laying on in one of the clips, and Zodds horns, for example). If one film is released every year or two, it might be possible to cover the entire manga.

Aazealh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do it in the same fashion or at least similar, to Hellsing Ultimate. Annual to biannual releases and no cuts that I can name.
Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if someone fucks this up.

Whoa, hold the phone there. The link i provided updated. According to a recent Newtype magazine, this will be a series of movies that will adapt the *entire* manga.

Holy fucking shit. Color me surprised. Still doubt they'll cover every single thing in all 35 volumes since that shit would almost take longer than Miura finishing the manga. With anime movies averaging less than 2 hours, there's only so much they can put even in a series of movies.

Aazealh said:
It couldn't have been a TV series and stayed faithful to the manga anyway (because of censorship), and even as an OAV series it'd have a hard time covering the whole story.

I was never expecting a TV series in the first place since in this day and age in japan, adapting Berserk of all thing would completely butcher due to censorship. Even OAVs nowadays have some hard time passing series with a big gore factor with Hellsing Ultimate being the total exception to the rule where they show EVERYTHING including Baby eating Nazi Vampires.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
If one film is released every year or two, it might be possible to cover the entire manga.

In how many years?

Deathbringer said:
Whoa, hold the phone there. The link i provided updated. According to a recent Newtype magazine, this will be a series of movies that will adapt the *entire* manga.

It's already been posted & commented on.

I hope they do release it on a volume (or two volume in one OVA) basis on a bi-monthly or quarterly release schedule. If they span it out right it can maintain a consistent quality and stay in line with the manga releases to keep a wealth of material to animate. Either way I'm happy with this.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
In how many years?

It depends on how much they cover per movie, I suppose. That and how often the movies are released. My guess would be ten or more years, but I'm not sure if what they're planning is that ambitious. It's possible, but that would take a tremendous effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom