New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Like all of you, I hope nothing will be cut and censored, that way it's gonna be nearly perfect! :guts: So anyway, that news just made my day!

iamdani, wow, that is one bad-ass looking poster! :isidro: Waiting for the clean and hi-res version.

Since they'll be movies I'm not so worried about it being 100% accurate, it'll just have to work. Like Akira! Akira is far from being a perfect adaptation, but it captured the mood and the best parts of the manga perfectly, and it's two hours long. Of course, it being directed by the manga's creator was pretty much essential for that to happen, but I trust the guys at 4C. It's a great studio.

I hope they don't do any cliffhangers and make one chapter per movie or something like that. I like what this is turning out to be.

When they do release the movie(s) I hope it gets released on blu ray. I really want the same Japanese voice actors they had in the anime, although I could do without Casca's voice actor. It just wont be the same without Atsuko Tanaka for Slan. She has a really sexy voice IMO. :slan:

turkitage

ターク
I'm glad this isn't a TV series for the reasons mentioned above. A movie series was the best option to get IMO. Though, I'm really scared/nervous about the "adapt" part like mentioned too. I guess my favorite anime movie series Kara No Kyoukai has finally got some competition and maybe they'll do a global release of the blu-ray too - it best be coming to blu-ray. Who can't wait to pay the $500+ for the whole Berserk Animated Movie Series Blu-ray Box Set?? I know I can't. :ganishka:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Good news indeed. But I think we all know movie = massive cuts like said before. Better to play it safe and adore the pretty colors for the time being.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Nomad said:
But I think we all know movie = massive cuts like said before. Better to play it safe and adore the pretty colors for the time being.

Indeed. In no way will they release multiple theatrical movies from a source material as violent as Berserk without massive cuts, unless they are personally funded by some arabian oil prince who's a fan of the manga.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Gobolatula said:
What I wonder is if they're gonna animate this chronologically or manga-order...
I wonder where the first movie will end. . :ubik: :void: :slan: :femto:
conradtest.gif

:isidro:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Truder said:
Hopefully :badbone:

I'm also worried about any censoring they may need to do... the days in the 90's where a mainstream anime movie in theaters could have a giant vagina opening up in a 14 year old naked girl's head followed by a cross entering it are gone. :ganishka:

As for how I wish to have seen it done... I think it'd be nicer to have an OVA for the Black Swordsman Arc, an OVA for The Golden Age, a movie for The Lost Children Chapter, and then OVAs after for the rest. Lost Children seems like the only arc they'd be able to put into a movie without removing parts of the story... I mean the whole question of if the Black Swordsman Arc will be shown in its entirety, only briefly(like the first anime), after the Golden Age, or not at all is pretty important to me. How could they show all of the Golden Age AND all of the Black Swordsman in one movie? Or would they have The Black Swordsman followed by the Lost Children chapter? Another question important to me(and Gobs/Grail!) is if "wordwide" means they'll be showing it at Viz's New People Theater in Japan Town in San Francisco! If that rumor is even true... :puck:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Dar Klink said:
Another question important to me(and Gobs/Grail!) is if "wordwide" means they'll be showing it at Viz's New People Theater in Japan Town in San Francisco! If that rumor is even true... :puck:
We can carpool. I'll drive!

There are things we all wanna see. One way or another, I hope magic happens and it's all in there. I would love to see the first time we see Guts encounter the God Hand (in volume 3). Femto just calling Guts a chump... GRR! The whole part with The Count was fantastic.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Why is everyone assuming that it will be all movies? It just says that the 2011 film will be the first part of the project, that doesn't necessarily mean that all, or any of the following parts will be movies. It could just as easily be one movie *correctly* recapping the golden age (since we already got a full tv series of that) followed by a tv series or ova for the rest of the story.

Though honestly I don't know which would be better. The thought of the censorship that would be in a 2011 tv series scares me. And I find the whole movie series idea kind of intriguing, though the time constraints scare me.

Either way, I'm excited.

If this movie/movie series will adapt the manga from beginning to end, then I don't really like the approach they've taken with the trailers. They don't show anything from the manga's first volumes.

slan69 said:
I really want the same Japanese voice actors they had in the anime, although I could do without Casca's voice actor. It just wont be the same without Atsuko Tanaka for Slan. She has a really sexy voice IMO. :slan:

The Japanese are very good with continuity. Unless any of the old VAs have passed away, I'm sure they'll all return in the new film(s).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
http://twitter.com/berserk_project
they posted a few new things, but Googles translator makes jibberish out of the text :sad:

translation anyone?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
http://twitter.com/berserk_project
they posted a few new things, but Googles translator makes jibberish out of the text :sad:

translation anyone?
It's not that hard to decipher. "The theatrical release is targeted for mid 2011! ! This is the official announcement!"

He also says that animating the entire series is a large task, so it will take time, and it may not all be done in a series of film. Video is also an option. He also says the voice acting cast is being finalized.

Personally, my expectations are unwavering after this announcement.

Walter said:
It's not that hard to decipher. "The theatrical release is targeted for mid 2011! ! This is the official announcement!"
Damn!! This is huge!!! I wonder if anyone from SK will fly to japan to see it firsthand! :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
He also says that animating the entire series is a large task, so it will take time, and it may not all be done in a series of film.

As expected. A series of OAVs following the movie wouldn't be a bad solution.

Konketsuji said:
I wonder if anyone from SK will fly to japan to see it firsthand! :carcus:

Well we have members in Japan already. I'm guessing SaiyajinNoOuji will fly his ass to the nearest theater in his hovercar. :iva:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I'll hop aboard a boat, hiding inside a crate if I have to.

I hope that "COMING SOON" section of the official Berserk site is replaced with all sorts of info.

Walter said:
"The theatrical release is targeted for mid 2011! ! This is the official announcement!"

Is this THE announcement that was supposed to be made on the 8th, or should we expect something else tomorrow? I hope we get a trailer on the 8th! That would be badass. :SK:

As far as theatrical release in Japan, you know honestly, that'd totally be something worth making a trip out to Japan for (along with having a vacay in Japan too!). Except for one small problem. I don't know Japanese. I doubt there will be English subtitles in the movie theater. Rats!

Edit: I google translated the twitter, and saw the tweet right before the "official announcement" saying they hasten the announcement to today. I guess they saw the internet exploding already so they had to speak up. :slan:

Maaan, I'd make a trip and watch the Japanese version in a theater if I had to! But, I'm definitely in for catching it in a theater in the US even. I think the IFC here in NYC is playing Summer Wars, so I assume this's something that 'could' be featured in their schedule. Gotta play the lottery methinks :femto:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Some English tweets this time for the English fans.

berserk_project1.jpg

It sure is helpful for him to explain what Berserk is to all the people who subscribe to him :iva:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
It sure is helpful for him to explain what Berserk is to all the people who subscribe to him :iva:

We of all people should understand the need for that...
"Sup, so uh was there ever a season 2 of Berserk or is that the end of the story?" :carcus:

Anyway, I've gone from being totally incredulous about the nature of this "animation project" to pretty damn intrigued by these latest announcements. As you can tell from my sig, a faithful Berserk movie, or series of them, has been a dream of mine for a while, and it's like that dream turned pet project has now been sanctioned for official production. Exciting for all Berserk fans but of particular personal interest to me given the format. So, whatever your feelings on the previous anime or the prospects of this project, even the most cynical pessimist has to recognize this makes for exciting times to follow Berserk. BERSERK SAGA PROJECT indeed! :guts:

BTW, the latest part of BERSERK: RECUT is going up tonight, 100 man fight! Good time to check it out. :griffnotevil: :daiba:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserk_project said:
The aim of the project is to make the movies faithful to the original.

Faithful? Yeah, we'll see about that. I hope for them they're not making promises they can't keep (or I'll track them down and force the books down their throats, that's right). And I hope that TV CM/leaked material was indeed test footage, since it was already disappointing as far as faithfulness goes.

Griffith said:
So, whatever your feelings on the previous anime or the prospects of this project, even the most cynical pessimist has to recognize this makes for exciting times to follow Berserk. BERSERK SAGA PROJECT indeed! :guts:

Well yeah. From the moment it was announced it became big news in our little world. We can (have, and no doubt will) argue about its quality and its defaults, what should be/should have been done, how it compares to the manga and the old TV series and so on, but we can't deny the impact it will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom