New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think that this are some really great news. If the movie is done right, it could be a masterpiece that lives up to the manga.
On the other hand a little voice in my head keeps telling me: Well that's it, no more manga episodes till the movie comes out. Miura is going to supervise the whole project himself. This is kinda sad and i hope i'm not right because 318 ended in such a cliffhanger it almost hurts :puck:

Knowing this guy, i think is quite impossible.... but do you guys think that Miura is going to give up some extra information about his world, maybe something god hand related or something about a character.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rus said:
Well that's it, no more manga episodes till the movie comes out.

I don't see that happening.

Rus said:
do you guys think that Miura is going to give up some extra information about his world, maybe something god hand related or something about a character.

What? Why?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Rus said:
Knowing this guy, i think is quite impossible.... but do you guys think that Miura is going to give up some extra information about his world, maybe something god hand related or something about a character.

Miura "rectifying" his manga on the anime? I don't think so.

Rus said:
I personally think that this are some really great news. If the movie is done right, it could be a masterpiece that lives up to the manga.
On the other hand a little voice in my head keeps telling me: Well that's it, no more manga episodes till the movie comes out. Miura is going to supervise the whole project himself. This is kinda sad and i hope i'm not right because 318 ended in such a cliffhanger it almost hurts :puck:

As Aaz so rightly pointed out, I see no reason for this to be the case. If anything Miura has probably been supervising the anime production already, as leaked images and reports of him going to 'animation studios' could be evidence to this and that hasn't changed the progress of the manga. At least, not anymore than usual, if it has at all.

Rus said:

Why fix what isn't broken? People may argue that the opening of the manga could be slightly adjusted, due to Guts having sex with an apostle and not considering Casca. But then that scene has been brought up before and people have come up with logical explanations.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
From where I stand, everything is a possibility. I'm not saying that rectifying would be the word. But again, nobody here should expect a page-per-page summary. If Miura and Co. want to take it to make changes, I think it would be safe to say to give it a logical line of story telling. At least, that's what normally happens.

I keep praying that track from the commercials isn't part of the official Soundtrack. That alone hoping that Hirasawa makes the same contribution as it did to the old series.

Nomad said:
That alone hoping that Hirasawa makes the same contribution as it did to the old series.

This. Now that the amazing news of having the whole Berserk saga has been announced, news of Susumu on board would be the only followup that could make this the best news EVER. EVER!!!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rus said:

Well there could be little tidbits of extra scenes/dialog here and there, but definitely not anything that would be as big as the Godhand or anything like that. Maybe like the old anime series where Gennon and Boscone were introduced a little earlier, or the extra scenes with Adon. But that all is pretty much filler and doesn't make up for all the stuff they left out. If they are going to try and be more faithful to the manga, then I doubt there would be much of that.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Deathbringer said:
That's borderline denial there, bucko.

Besides, that particular track is great. Great bittersweet aura to it.
I don't hate it. But I see no reason why change a composer that has contributed in every single project Berserk related. Unless Hirasawa is either not interested or charging too much. And still, hard to imagine anyone else fit for the work. It just seems propper, that's all.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Deathbringer said:
That's borderline denial there, bucko.

It's really not so unreasonable, could go either way.

Deathbringer said:
Besides, that particular track is great. Great bittersweet aura to it.

Yeah, a bittersweet aura; like a wet fart. Also, I'm not sure it achieved greatness in all its 17 seconds of warbling.

Nomad said:
I don't hate it.

Well I do! :guts: That track didn't even serve its purpose all that well so I'll join you in hoping that's the last we've heard of it, or that at least it'll be used more appropriately. Here's what that track was good for so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaNRqWbmUsI
:???: "What the fuck are we listening to?" :puck:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Well I do! :guts: That track didn't even serve its purpose all that well so I'll join you in hoping that's the last we've heard of it, or that at least it'll be used more appropriately. Here's what that track was good for so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaNRqWbmUsI
:???: "What the fuck are we listening to?" :puck:

Right on the money. Wow, yeah... I'm starting to have FF Advent Children flashbacks here.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Rus said:

*cough*keepdreaming*cough*

But, it is nice to hear them specify that they're trying to keep things faithful to the original. So far all we can make judgement on are visual changes. What I'm really concerned about isn't whether Zodd the Immortal's horn is just right, but rather the story itself. I'm afraid of the things that could happen, or the elements that could be scrapped or stretched given the time frame of the medium. As long as they don't try to rush the story, or do the opposite and focus on retarded non-present plots (Adon Get?) I'll be grateful.

Ah, well, you always lose some value of the original when you make a transition. The same is true of games -> movies, movies -> games or book -> movie. So I'm hopeful, and still a bit in awe and grateful that we're getting anything at all.

Griffith said:
Yeah, a bittersweet aura; like a wet fart. Also, I'm not sure it achieved greatness in all its 17 seconds of warbling.

Hahaha, that made my day. It really just sounds like trailer music to me...or maybe I'm being naive.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
There's actually a full MP3 of the song if anyone's interested: Berserk_Project_OST - Track 01.mp3
:troll:
:puck:

Aphasia said:
*cough*keepdreaming*cough*
So far all we can make judgement on are visual changes. What I'm really concerned about isn't whether Zodd the Immortal's horn is just right, but rather the story itself. I'm afraid of the things that could happen, or the elements that could be scrapped or stretched given the time frame of the medium. As long as they don't try to rush the story, or do the opposite and focus on retarded non-present plots (Adon Get?) I'll be grateful.
I agree with you, good sir.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
I don't hate it.

I like that track. I honestly don't see what some people have against it. Thing lasts 15 seconds and does the job; as far as I'm concerned it's ridiculous to pretend it's not up to the standards of the TV series' OST.

"What? A woman singing wordlessly?! Pfff, not on Hirasawa's level!"

Nomad said:
But I see no reason why change a composer that has contributed in every single project Berserk related.

First off, you're extrapolating from nothing here. We don't know who will work on the movie's soundtrack yet, nor to what extent. Secondly, as I pointed out before, not all of the music was ever from Hirasawa on Berserk-related OSTs, and he was less involved each time a new one came out.

Nomad said:
And still, hard to imagine anyone else fit for the work.

It's a bit strange reading this from someone who's been making his own tracks for the series in a completely different style.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
I like that track. I honestly don't see what some people have against it. Thing lasts 15 seconds and does the job; as far as I'm concerned it's ridiculous to pretend it's not up to the standards of the TV series' OST.

"What? A woman singing wordlessly?! Pfff, not on Hirasawa's level!"

First off, you're extrapolating from nothing here. We don't know who will work on the movie's soundtrack yet, nor to what extent. Secondly, as I pointed out before, not all of the music was ever from Hirasawa on Berserk-related OSTs, and he was less involved each time a new one came out.

It's a bit strange reading this from someone who's been making his own tracks for the series in a completely different style.

Seriously, that piece of music from the commercials is some really poor generic pop trash. And bad example there Aaz, that's not a woman singing, it's Hirasawa's voice, with a melody way more intricate and emotional than that other piece. It's worlds apart.
Safe to say that Hirasawa music works wonders on anime soundtracks, they are all memorable and big part of why those animes work. Berserk included.
For me more than half of my enjoyment of the old anime comes from the emotional impact the music brings. Murder, Behelit, Guts, are all amazing songs that are deeply rooted with various dramatic scenes. They mix the old with the new, abstract medieval influences with more contemporaneous dark ambient melodies, which give that sense of ominous uneasiness during the dark fantasy parts. I can't even read Berserk without listening to Susumu (i personally enjoy the Dreamcast OST the best - even the non-OST tracks that you listen during the levels are amazing). He's that connected to the world of Berserk. As you know even Miura himself works while listening to his songs.
We can all agree that in a movie, music/sound are as much important as images, so if they want this to work, they better bring the master back.

I challenge you to pick any 15 seconds from a Hirasawa Berserk related song that isn't more memorable than that shit they picked.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Seriously, that piece of music from the commercials is some really poor generic pop trash. And bad example there Aaz, that's not a woman singing, it's Hirasawa's voice, with a melody way more intricate and emotional than that other piece. It's worlds apart.

The point is that it's wordless singing, duh. And as much as I like that song, I don't think the two are "worlds apart", sorry.

NightCrawler said:
For me more than half of my enjoyment of the old anime comes from the emotional impact the music brings. Murder, Beherit, Guts, are all amazing songs that are deeply rooted with various dramatic scenes.

Those tracks are pretty much the only enjoyment I get from the TV series, but as you're stressing here, they're "deeply rooted" to your memories of those scenes, making you partial to them. That's fine, I love them too, but you need to realize that Susumu Hirasawa isn't the only composer who'll ever be able to create a proper score for Berserk. That mere suggestion is preposterous. And that goes quadruple for commercials about Berserk, which is what we're talking about here. We're not even sure if there's a longer version that could be in the OST; I just don't see the point of ranting about it for months before even knowing who will actually compose the soundtrack.

NightCrawler said:
They mix the old with the new, abstract medieval influences with more contemporaneous dark ambient melodies, which give that sense of ominous uneasiness during the dark fantasy parts. I can't even read Berserk without listening to Susumu (i personally enjoy the Dreamcast OST the best - even the non-OST tracks that you listen during the levels are amazing). He's that connected to the world of Berserk.

Hahaha yeah right. By the way, you know that Hirasawa didn't compose all the tracks on the DC game's OST, right? Nor the non-OST ones. I hope for you that your favorites are at least from him.

NightCrawler said:
I challenge you to pick any 15 seconds from a Hirasawa Berserk related song that isn't more memorable than that shit they picked.

I can't say that the first 15 seconds of "Ghosts" are very memorable to me. And he's credited for "Ball" too, but that's almost cheating.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
Hahaha yeah right. By the way, you know that Hirasawa didn't compose all the tracks on the DC game's OST, right? Nor the non-OST ones. I hope for you that your favorites are at least from him.

I'm intrigued. I'd love to know who composed what for the Dreamcast game then.

Who would you suggest to compose the soundtrack for this project? The only name that comes to my mind is Jerry Goldsmith, but he's dead.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I'm intrigued. I'd love to know who composed what for the Dreamcast game then.

Hirasawa composed 8 tracks out of 13 on the OST proper. Tracks 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10 aren't from him.

Arrangement, Lyrics, Music, Voice, Instruments, Programming for tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 12, 13: 平沢進

Director, Engineer, Chief Composer for tracks 4, 6, 7, 8, 10: 井元雅也
Composer for tracks 4, 6, 7, 8, 10: 井上博美

So in summary:

Susumu Hirasawa

1. FORCES 2
2. ニコ
3. 血の執着
5. シスターの語り
9. ZODDO 2
11. 大樹
12. 使徒
13. INDRA

Other guys

4. イントロダクション
6. 城へ
7. バルザック
8. アネットのテーマ
10. パラサイト

NightCrawler said:
Who would you suggest to compose the soundtrack for this project? The only name that comes to my mind is Jerry Goldsmith, but he's dead.

Shit, now that's a good question. Honestly I don't know who I'd pick. Hans Zimmer? :troll: But it makes for a good topic actually. If, hypothetically, Hirasawa didn't compose it (or just did parts of it), who would we have work on it? Might actually be worth making a separate thread just for OST discussions and keep this one for news.

NightCrawler said:

Kenji Kawai. Maybe not as niche as Hirasawa, but you know what you get with him.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
Hmm, don't remember the names, I'll have to go get my CD and check it out. Will update when I do. But I can already tell you that Hirasawa composed 8 tracks out of 13 on the OST proper. Tracks 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10 aren't from him.

Much appreciated!
I've just checked wikipedia, it seems in this matter it can't be trusted.
Track 4 and 6 definitely fooled me. They have musical cues from other Hirasawa work. Nico, Sister's Story, Zodd 2 and the obvious Indra and Forces 2 (which i prefer over the original Forces) were my favourites from the DC OST. Can't remember the names from the other non-OST songs, but i love some of those too.

Doc said:
Kenji Kawai. Maybe not as niche as Hirasawa, but you know what you get with him.

Humm. A bit too dark and sophisticated. Don't know how he would fair with epic medieval motifs.

-----

Edit: Thanks again Aaz for the updated info! :serpico:

Exciting time to be a Berserk fan indeed. :serpico:

I know this is awesome for our fan community, but the original Berserk anime is pretty popular even with its flaws. I hope the new/current anime audience sees these releases as very relevant, (with its 10+ years of absence) and I think a great adaptation would help. I personally haven't looked forward to a anime release of any sort in a long time. So in a all around about way, this is very refreshing to me on a number of levels.

Do you guys feel that the overall anime audience has grown significantly enough over the last 10+ years, that such would give Berserk a better platform on being successful than its earlier counter part and expand its audience?

Do You think a good adaptation would be a wake up call to a lot of people? I wonder how the new berserk will be marketed? I think the blood and guts factor has a wide audience to a extent, and that it can also be used as bait to reel people in, whom then finally discover its great story.

All these original Berserk anime fans can finally get a bigger portion of what the manga could of offered them the whole time. (Not to assume, but where I come from watching anime in general is pretty popular but reading manga seems not to be on par. Its considerable noticeable among discussions.)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Do you guys feel that the overall anime audience has grown significantly enough over the last 10+ years, that such would give Berserk a better platform on being successful than its earlier counter part and expand its audience?

Depends on what market. The TV series was pretty successful for what it was, you know. That being said, in the US it might be able to introduce the series to a wider audience, yes.

Death May Die said:
I wonder how the new berserk will be marketed? I think the blood and guts factor has a wide audience to a extent, and that it can also be used as bait to reel people in, whom then finally discover its great story.

I'm quite certain they won't market it like that (at least not in Japan), and honestly it would be an insult to the series if they did.

Death May Die said:
(Not to assume, but where I come from watching anime in general is pretty popular but reading manga seems not to be on par. Its considerable noticeable among discussions.)

Just like people watch TV but don't read books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom