New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
WE ARE HARBINGER

CCS said:
Hahaha you guys overreacted way too much to what I said. It's not like my input will at all affect how the movie actually turns out, it was just an opinion.

Anyway yeah, I feel the first 3 volumes are pretty bad when compared to Berserk overall. Opinion. You can argue that I just don't get it but that's the way it is.

YOU ARE IGNORANT_WE ARE KNOWING

CCS said:
The art was pretty weak as far as Berserk goes. When you get to later volumes the art gives a whole lot more depth to Guts character. He's silent a lot so what he looks like by way of the art really matters. So in the early volumes Guts just seems like a really shallow "grim and dark" character (think Sasuke from Naruto). It wasn't until the Golden Age where I feel Miura hit his stride with really capturing expressions that reflected a more complicated state of mind. So I feel if they animated the first 3 volumes Guts character design would have to be updated to be closer to what he looks like around volume 15 so it actually looks like he has something going on in his head. I'm sure the animators will do this. The character design of him done on that promo poster looks really good.

THIS DELAY IS POINTLESS

CCS said:
The Golden Age introduced all these interesting side characters and Guts had relationships to deal with and the reader got a much better sense of him as a character. It wasn't grim and dark all the time, which is good, because stories suffer if they have too much darkness.

PITIFUL

CCS said:
There were moments of punctuated graphic violence in the midst of interesting bits of character development, romance, and intrigue.

CONTINUE

CCS said:
That I think would appeal to audiences more than just a guy with a sword cutting up demons for 1.5 hours alongside a comic relief character.

YOU HAVE FAILED

CCS said:
I think that would alienate a lot of people.

IRRELEVANT

CCS said:
Also it might seem that I think volumes 14-22 were bad because of what I just said

I SENSE YOUR WEAKNESS

CCS said:
but I feel Miura's art had much more intensity to it at that point and was able to add depth the the characters. His writing was also better and each section with an apostle really contributed to the themes in the manga. Also at that point we the audience are already clear about Guts motivations and knew him as a character, so it's fun to see him slice up demons for a while. Because we're MAD at those demons for what they did during the Eclipse.

YOUR FORM IS FRAGILE

CCS said:
Anyway that's my two cents. Don't take it personally.

THIS BODYS PAIN IS IRRELEVANT

CCS said:
When you get to later volumes the art gives a whole lot more depth to Guts character. He's silent a lot so what he looks like by way of the art really matters. So in the early volumes Guts just seems like a really shallow "grim and dark" character (think Sasuke from Naruto).

Guts was never a shallow character, and certainly not in volumes 1-3. If you've read it, you should recall how Guts threw up after he cut the daughter of the priest in half. She had only gone out of the carriage to calm the horses, but it was enough to get killed. Neither her nor the priest would have died if Guts had not agreed to travel with them. He knew that too. And as much as he wanted to deny his fault or that he cared about their deaths to Puck after the event, the reality of how he felt lies in his actions. He was completely defenseless to the girl stabbing him. And when he cut her in half, Guts threw up as the girls blood splattered on his face. And there was nothing he could do to stop it.

There's also Guts' reaction to when Vargas was caught, and both before and after he was executed. Guts had a tear in his eye when Vargas made his plea and his head was chopped off. The demon child's head resembling Vargas' also hints at how Guts felt. Vargas' mutilated body reminded him of what he himself lost. He could relate to him, and understood Vargas' desire for revenge. At the same time, he knew he couldn't save Vargas. He was just one man, and the execution was also a trap.
Another incident is when the Snail Count died. If you read the volume you should recall how much it pained Guts to become the center of Theresia's hate. He took the burden anyway, as it was the only way he could think of to motivate her to keep on living.

There's actually a lot more to these events, so don't let my hasty and poorly detailed analysis of them fool you. The unfortunate thing is that apparently you didn't even notice any of these details, yet you're claiming that Guts' seemed very shallow in the early volumes.

The art goes a long way now. But even in volumes 1-3, it wasn't just the art. It was Guts' actions that revealed the true nature of his character. And that's true even now.

CCS said:
You can argue that I just don't get it but that's the way it is.

Don't worry, there's no need to argue that.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
CCS said:
Hahaha you guys overreacted way too much to what I said. It's not like my input will at all affect how the movie actually turns out, it was just an opinion.

Anyway yeah, I feel the first 3 volumes are pretty bad when compared to Berserk overall. Opinion. You can argue that I just don't get it but that's the way it is. The art was pretty weak as far as Berserk goes. When you get to later volumes the art gives a whole lot more depth to Guts character. He's silent a lot so what he looks like by way of the art really matters. So in the early volumes Guts just seems like a really shallow "grim and dark" character (think Sasuke from Naruto). It wasn't until the Golden Age where I feel Miura hit his stride with really capturing expressions that reflected a more complicated state of mind. So I feel if they animated the first 3 volumes Guts character design would have to be updated to be closer to what he looks like around volume 15 so it actually looks like he has something going on in his head. I'm sure the animators will do this. The character design of him done on that promo poster looks really good.

The Golden Age introduced all these interesting side characters and Guts had relationships to deal with and the reader got a much better sense of him as a character. It wasn't grim and dark all the time, which is good, because stories suffer if they have too much darkness. There were moments of punctuated graphic violence in the midst of interesting bits of character development, romance, and intrigue. That I think would appeal to audiences more than just a guy with a sword cutting up demons for 1.5 hours alongside a comic relief character. I think that would alienate a lot of people.

Also it might seem that I think volumes 14-22 were bad because of what I just said but I feel Miura's art had much more intensity to it at that point and was able to add depth the the characters. His writing was also better and each section with an apostle really contributed to the themes in the manga. Also at that point we the audience are already clear about Guts motivations and knew him as a character, so it's fun to see him slice up demons for a while. Because we're MAD at those demons for what they did during the Eclipse.

Anyway that's my two cents. Don't take it personally.

To be honest I'm having a hard time replying to this. It's just that I didn't know there was a Collector on SKnet and it's intimidating. I'm suddenly feeling irrelevant. :magni: He's also apparently the world's biggest Berserk fan. Who knew?

Ramen summed this up pretty well. You're fully welcome to your opinion, it's just that there's a lot of depth there that you're either ignoring or fail to see. I think you should try re-reading 1-3. And then maybe again. There's a lot said about guts as a character. You could actually flip to many parts of Berserk and think "Wow, he's just chopping up demons, this Guts guy must be shallow" but that's just what it looks like on the outside, to those who aren't fully familiar with the journey he is on.

I can understand that you'd like parts of the Manga better than other parts. But to dismiss the beginning as lacking in depth is an opinion devoid of sense. Arguing that the art isn't up to par is similar to arguing that games that don't use turn of the century motion and face capture are unable to evoke emotion or pull a heartstring - In fact those games in particular I thought were especially touching or say full of depth, though on the surface they were rudimentary (lacking in polygons) and crudely textured, yet the characters embodied were fully believable. Anyhow, that's my opinion. Mine isn't worth more than yours. Unless your opinion is wrong... :slan:

Seriously though, try going through them again. I think you'd be surprised with what you find.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
If they do start with the Black swordsman arc, i wonder whether they will delve in the mystery that is the first page?

Guts: hey gurl you so fine! :guts:
*bass slappin'*

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I just wanted to say that volume 1 to 3 is the most nauseating read i ever had, outside of Clive Barker. And i say it in a good way, of course. If it had "better" art, it wouldn't feel as bleak and forbbiding. That style is what gives depth to the characters and the depicted world. Ah shit, i just read Naruto on your post, why am i replying anyway?

By the way, every character design in that promo poster is fucking awful, there i said it.

because stories suffer if they have too much darkness.

Seriously man, your opinion fucking blows.

skullsmoke.gif

Slime_Beherit said:
If they do start with the Black swordsman arc, i wonder whether they will delve in the mystery that is the first page?

Guts: hey gurl you so fine! :guts:
*bass slappin'*

That feels so out of character. I'm sure people around here might have an explanation that makes it fit, but it feels like it was just a page designed to draw attention for the first episode, and later things changed a bit. If that's the case they will probably remove it. It doesn't really add anything, anyway. (If he taped that with gusto, he would definitely go for Slan when given the chance. I know I would. :guts:)

Metatron said:
That feels so out of character. I'm sure people around here might have an explanation that makes it fit, but it feels like it was just a page designed to draw attention for the first episode, and later things changed a bit. If that's the case they will probably remove it. It doesn't really add anything, anyway. (If he taped that with gusto, he would definitely go for Slan when given the chance. I know I would. :guts:)

Get real. It's not to "draw attention", it's to convey a mood. To show us in as few pages as possible what the manga was all about. It's necessary to make readers curious about the main character, about the world around him, about everything. If you don't think that's something, you're out of your element.
OBj9W.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metatron said:
That feels so out of character. I'm sure people around here might have an explanation that makes it fit

More than one really, but suffices to say that Guts was at his darkest hour. You can see it as a glimpse of the path he might have followed had he never met Puck. In a way, when you relate it to his hatred of being touched at that time (a return of the symptoms of his childhood trauma that Casca's love had cured in volume 9), it can be seen as being as self-destructive as his use of the Berserk's armor. An utter disregard for himself within his quest for revenge.

Metatron said:
If that's the case they will probably remove it. It doesn't really add anything, anyway. (If he taped that with gusto, he would definitely go for Slan when given the chance. I know I would. :guts:)

I can't say I'd mind too much if they modified it somewhat (him luring the apostle and killing her without them having sex), but removing it altogether would also mean losing the tie-in with Carcus' death during the Occultation ceremony, and that'd suck.

Eluvei said:
Get real. It's not to "draw attention", it's to convey a mood. To show us in as few pages as possible what the manga was all about. It's necessary to make readers curious about the main character, about the world around him, about everything. If you don't think that's something, you're out of your element.
OBj9W.jpg

So... yeah... to draw attention. It's clearly an impacting first page. The author didn't make it like that for nothing. I won't say it's bad or anything, it's not, I don't hate the scene or anything. But as you said it yourself, he made that his first page in order to convey the mood and make the reader get interested. He chose to make an impacting first page, and that's no coincidence. Even with all the meaning in the world, a comic book is planed, that's all I said there. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
More than one really, but suffices to say that Guts was at his darkest hour. You can see it as a glimpse of the path he might have followed had he never met Puck. In a way, when you relate it to his hatred of being touched at that time (a return of the symptoms of his childhood trauma that Casca's love had cured in volume 9), it can be seen as being as self-destructive as his use of the Berserk's armor. An utter disregard for himself within his quest for revenge.

I can't say I'd mind too much if they modified it somewhat (him luring the apostle and killing her without them having sex), but removing it altogether would also mean losing the tie-in with Carcus' death during the Occultation ceremony, and that'd suck.

That's what I was thinking the second time, but then I thought I was probably reading too much into it and it was just a cool scene. I guess I don't give enough credit to things sometimes, but thank God I'm open to change my views.

Except in the days I'm too grumpy. :schierke:

Him killing the apostle it's fine, and I gotta say it is a cool scene. I guess the scene still annoys me a bit nowadays because it's just... sad, seeing Guts doing that. As you said it. He was his lowest there. Depressing. But at least she was good looking. I jest.

(do I? :troll:)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I was re-reading the first volumes, and the impact it gives is still immense. In terms of tone, it's just pitch-perfect, and the change to the golden age makes it even more poignant. Flawless. There's no denying it, the foundations of this manga are top-notch.

I guess it's why so many people say the first volumes are their favorites. The atmosphere there is unique. Miura works with shadows so well...

Darkman

Obey the one Law of Tooth & Claw
A little Introduction of myself, its my first post. :magni:

I learned of Berserk the original anime by Chance and rented it off of netflix. At the time I never knew of any manga nor did I know manga existed. As a kid I always watched Horror films, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Halloween, Phantasm and the likes. I was born into Horror and Horror scores and Berserk as the anime was more epic and more mysterious, more dark than any of those old Horror films. The anime was jaw dropping I watched it at the edge of my seat for like 2 or 3 days and at the ending I was like Oh my it ends like that.

For the longest time I thought thats it, then I started searching is that the end and stumbled accross Dark Horse Comics and picked up the whole collection that is available thus far. No disipointments just a sensational piece of art. I just wished I read and knew of the manga before viewing the anime as the original anime missed many areas and did a great injustice to the first three volumes. I always felt that first anime episode never felt right and I was in for a pleasent surprise reading the manga and finding differences and the chunks of darkly fascinating material left out. While the anime is still great the manga is that much better period.

It doesn't get anymore chilling than first stumbling upon concepts of the brand, the beherit, and the mysteries of a warrior's past.

The first invocation of doom :void:,

The First sight of the God Hand :ubik:

and its immense power and intrigue :schnoz:,

a great battle against The Count, the serpent, the forests, dead warriors :badbone:

and one crazy bad ass dude :guts: going after a endless hoard of demons :zodd:.

To me the first three volumes through to the end of The Guardians of Desire episodes is Berserk at its greatest hour. I could go on and on but this would make for one hell of a 3 hour anime film to kick off the anime in a satisfying and correct manner.

With all the action and suspense, flashbacks to a long dead friendship (Guts and Griffith) :femto: As most of you guys have said everthing is introduced here how can you not start with this.

BTW great forum, the information and continuing effort to keep up to date with the manga is greatly appreciated and I hope this stays alive for many years to come. Definitly a nice place for Berserk fans to get together.

All Hail Berserk :beast:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Welcome Darkman!

I'm not going to jump into this and quote other people, all I'll say is that I love the Black Swordsman arc as much as anything in Berserk and I truly hope they make those first three books into an epic anime to kick it off. Nothing would give me greater pleasure. That's how the series starts, so if they want to remain as faithful as possible there's no other way to do it. It wouldn't feel right if they just skipped all that.

Alright well I hope whatever they do turns out awesome. It'd be nice to see Femto and the rest of the God Hand animated in proper form. If they manage it right it could be very awesome.

turkitage

ターク
Oburi said:
I'm not going to jump into this and quote other people, all I'll say is that I love the Black Swordsman arc as much as anything in Berserk and I truly hope they make those first three books into an epic anime to kick it off. Nothing would give me greater pleasure. That's how the series starts, so if they want to remain as faithful as possible there's no other way to do it. It wouldn't feel right if they just skipped all that.

agreed

I really hope that the graphics of new Berserk movie will be much better than what we've seen in CMs.
Because CMs animation is worse than Berserk 1997 anime (I dont mean 1997 sux, I like it, and CMs looking pitiful even comparing to it)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
voodoo_sh said:
Because CMs animation is worse than Berserk 1997 anime (I dont mean 1997 sux, I like it, and CMs looking pitiful even comparing to it)
I'm not sure how you can say that. In terms of the number of frames used for animation, you're just plain wrong. The CMs showed much more fluid animation than was evident in any scene of the 1997 anime, which used several hours worth of keyframe movement to "fake" an animation effect.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I find both the 1997 anime and the new footage to be adequate for their times. Of course I'd like them to look better, but I'm not going to mind it too much either way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
In terms of animation it looks better. In terms of design, it looks worse. Which one do you prefer?

I'm not sure I'd say the design is worse at this point. It's not as good as I wish it were, but I never liked the TV series' character design either compared to that of the manga.

X

Xem

I'd say the still-frames were the most annoying part (aside from the Adon additions) in the original animation for me. If they can get rid of those and not be afraid to stay absolutely true to the manga then the "style" won't matter much to me.

Of course I say this now... we'll see.

Meh. Style always changes when making the transition to animation. How much it changes it's what differs. Go take a look at some anime, and compare to the manga, and you'll see sometimes you can barely recognize the characters. If I'm not mistaken, a good current example is Fractale. The anime's design is much simpler than the manga, and not in a necessary way.

Berserk's manga style is great. We know that use of dark strokes can't be made into a series of movies/TV series. Maybe they could spend a lot and make one single (incredibly awesome and Oscar candidate) movie trying to replicate the manga panels, down to the minimum details, but that's it. So, since that will be gone, what remains is the character design and use of color. And from what I can tell, the new design is a bit more faithful than the 97 one. But then, there's only one poster, and those are not always a precise indication of the final product. Also, the CMs are just that, and won't be in any movie, so it may be different.

I'm not saying anything new though, I know... In the end, we need to wait for the movie's trailers/CMs (those were not it).

I'm a bit worried with Guts' face, but his face in the poster resembles a lot Miura's current design, so they might be going that direction.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Metatron said:
Meh. Style always changes when making the transition to animation. How much it changes it's what differs. Go take a look at some anime, and compare to the manga, and you'll see sometimes you can barely recognize the characters.
Fractale is an original anime, those other pictures from before the anime were concept art, but they do look a lot more simple and they changed hair color around for some reason. A good example of differences in character design this season would be Level E, where the adaption character designs look more pleasing to the eye than the original manga designs. Don't think that's possible with Miura though, they can only be made simpler for animation.

Metatron said:
I'm a bit worried with Guts' face, but his face in the poster resembles a lot Miura's current design, so they might be going that direction.

Sh*****t I hate Miura's current design, the Best Guts I know is from 12-26 volumes of manga. I love that style!
But from 28 to 35 volumes Guts' design is crap, the face especially :judo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom