New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
voodoo_sh said:
Sh*****t I hate Miura's current design, the Best Guts I know is from 12-26 volumes of manga. I love that style!
But from 28 to 35 volumes Guts' design is crap, the face especially :judo:
...You do realize that Guts is looking gaunt and emaciated because of extended use of the Berserk Armor, and the long-term effects of walking around with ethereal wounds, right...?

Oburi

All praise Grail
voodoo_sh said:
Sh*****t I hate Miura's current design, the Best Guts I know is from 12-26 volumes of manga. I love that style!

I hear ya. And what's up with all those jagged lines on his face? It's like Miura learn to use an eraser will ya.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
voodoo_sh said:
I wholeheartedly disagree. I love Guts now, all banged up and scarred and shocked white hair. I'm a man and I have no problem admitting he's just so HANDSOME. Here, just look:
handsomeguts1.gif

Also this:
handsomeguts2.gif

geo jee

"Almost black..slightly white swordsman."
Walter said:
...You do realize that Guts is looking gaunt and emaciated because of extended use of the Berserk Armor, and the long-term effects of walking around with ethereal wounds, right...?

Really I didn't know that, I thought the Armor affected his senses in terms of sight, smell and the ethereal wound affected his ability to fight, but his shape, man I just thought Miura was just developing his drawing style like he has been doing all time, could you give us your reference, please?

EDIT: If you are meaning for his loss of weight then I get you, just got confused for a moment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
Really I didn't know that, I thought the Armor affected his senses in terms of sight, smell and the ethereal wound affected his ability to fight,
You're misunderstanding. The armor itself doesn't drain his body, apart from the aforementioned loss of senses. But using it in battle puts him in situations where his body is severely taxed. His bones break or shatter, he bleeds profusely, his muscles are stretched to their limits, and after all that, he isn't given a chance to really heal before he has to don the armor again, since he's the crux of the group. I don't really think I need to cite every example of Schierke warning Guts not to use the armor because of the physical toll it takes on his body. But you can see volumes 26-XX for more.

but his shape, man I just thought Miura was just developing his drawing style like he has been doing all time, could you give us your reference, please?
I don't really think I need to cite every example of Schierke warning Guts not to use the armor because of the physical toll it takes on his body. But you can see volumes 26-XX for more.

Guts starts to look gaunt at the end of Vol 27, which is the first time we see the group following the fight at Flora's mansion, and Guts' first use of the armor. The ethereal wounds won't stay closed, and reopen after each battle.

Here's what Schierke says about those days after the fight:
Schierke - He kept bleeding for days because the armour stuck onto him.
Schierke - And once we finally took it off, he lost consciousness and awakened from the pain over and over. And everytime, his wounds would open again.
And this is just a prelude to what happens later, on the piers of Vritannis, when he's impaled by a Makara, then roasted, and flung around for a few rounds with Daiba and Ganishka.

geo jee

Actually, what Walter said points me to what Flora said in Volume 24 when she implied that the talisman intended to oppose a powerful curse had a time limit, but still was enough for the length of Guts journey, could that mean that Guts life span is decreasing rapidly, along with the story itself, thus the end of the story is coming sooner than we thought (although I know that Miura could make the end of this story continue for 100 volumes if he wanted to), Also Guts health rapidly deteriorating, Griffith having his own castle, the coming of Fantasia (the dark era), this hole film adaptation and the news of a project that will cover all the manga strongly says that we are heading to the finale, so what you think? :schnoz:

Oburi

All praise Grail
geo jee said:
Also Guts health rapidly deteriorating, Griffith having his own castle, the coming of Fantasia (the dark era), this hole film adaptation and the news of a project that will cover all the manga strongly says that we are heading to the finale, so what you think? :schnoz:

Not really, no. Miura stated in our letter that he was 60-70% done and that was two years ago. As for the new animation, if they were to start at the beginning and faithfully cover the whole story it would take years and years for them to catch up to the manga, at which point the manga would have advanced even further.

Personally, I think the whole fantasia thing with Griffith finally attaining his kingdom is only the next of several remaining arcs, and with the length of the arcs, it's not an ending of any sort, just the next stage of the story.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
geo jee said:
Actually, what Walter said points me to what Flora said in Volume 24 when she implied that the talisman intended to oppose a powerful curse had a time limit, but still was enough for the length of Guts journey, could that mean that Guts life span is decreasing rapidly, along with the story itself, thus the end of the story is coming sooner than we thought (although I know that Miura could make the end of this story continue for 100 volumes if he wanted to), Also Guts health rapidly deteriorating, Griffith having his own castle, the coming of Fantasia (the dark era), this hole film adaptation and the news of a project that will cover all the manga strongly says that we are heading to the finale, so what you think? :schnoz:
I think Guts' health has got to deteriorate A WHOLE LOT MORE if he's gonna die or something, like you seem to think. Even if Guts comes close to dying due to the Berserker armor, that doesn't necessarily means he'll "die." Just look at Skully!

To me, the coming of Fantasia means that there's a whole layer of this story that needs to be explored. Sure we saw unicorns and dragons already, but how will this affect the people? The Sea God is just the beginning.

And just because the anime is going to adapt the entirety of the manga, it doesn't mean the manga's gonna end any time soon. Miura can keep drawing at his pace and they'll have plenty of material to animate each year.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
geo jee said:
Actually, what Walter said points me to what Flora said in Volume 24 when she implied that the talisman intended to oppose a powerful curse had a time limit, but still was enough for the length of Guts journey

Flora was referring to the Brand.

Sammoniac

You taffers!

He may be bonier now, but the overall drawing style of Guts did change drastically over the years. His nose is now much rounder, his mouth bigger, etc. He almost looks like a Marvel character sometimes. That was Miura's intention of sophisticating him, and not just the work of the armor.

Personally, I just love his appearance now. Very mature looking and detailed. Sure, he looks less of a "standard manga character", but Miura has worked for so long with different styles, and I hope he's gonna keep evolving in the future years.

His skills have attained such a high level of complexity that I now compare him to artists like Salvador Dali :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sammoniac said:
He may be bonier now, but the overall drawing style of Guts did change drastically over the years. His nose is now much rounder, his mouth bigger, etc. He almost looks like a Marvel character sometimes. That was Miura's intention of sophisticating him, and not just the work of the armor.
Why limit it to Guts? Miura's style has developed over time, which encompasses all characters. It's been evolving since the very beginning. My point was that Guts' appearance is dramatically different now than it was several years ago, and it has nothing to do with a stylistic change.

Gobolatula said:
I wholeheartedly disagree. I love Guts now, all banged up and scarred and shocked white hair. I'm a man and I have no problem admitting he's just so HANDSOME. Here, just look:

Agreed. I wouldn't change current Guts for anything in the past. I just hope he gets to remain human till the end of the story. I wouldn't be particularly happy if he ended up like SK, except with the Berserk's armor. I like him scarred, burned and human. It gives the highest impact cost ratio for struggling with the brand, protecting Casca and his friends all while paying a heavy price with his tortured body. Not that becoming a cold steel shell wouldn't be more tragic, but visually, this is hard to top.

Actually.. Now I'm curious to know if Casca will comment on the sorry state Guts will be in by the time they make it to Elfhelm.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Walter said:
Why limit it to Guts? Miura's style has developed over time, which encompasses all characters. It's been evolving since the very beginning. My point is that Guts' appearance is dramatically different now than it was several years ago, and it has nothing to do with a stylistic change.

That is correct, but the art style also changed a lot and that's mainly what some people complain about. I don't agree with them :puck:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
CCS said:
Man, Guts looks awesome these days, c'mon. He's so competent now. I totally have a man-crush on current Guts.

Yeah, he's a total hunk. Incredibly handsome. I love the way he is represented in the Manga right now. It'll be interesting to see how he looks by the end of the story.

About the Berserk Movie, do we have any news on it? Hey how do you think If they dont have even a trailer for now, can they produce entire movie till the mid of 2011 ?

voodoo_sh said:
About the Berserk Movie, do we have any news on it? Hey how do you think If they dont have even a trailer for now, can they produce entire movie till the mid of 2011 ?

Not having a trailer done doesn't mean they don't have any material done. They will probably wait a bit to release a trailer, unrelated to how much of the movie is done.

About his looks, armor or not, the design indeed changed a bit, but I like it. The transition is kinda smooth and reading the books from Vol. 1 to Vol. 31 I'm not once displeased or taken out of the reading by any changes in design. It all fits. It's all great since the beginning. :)

In the "movie's poster" his face is less rounded and resembles more the current design. But in the CM, it didn't quite look like that. So I have no idea.

But I'm pretty sure the end result won't be bad. If it's better than the first adaptation, I'm already pleased.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I love that Miura's art style has grown over the past 20 years, just like the story has pulled back to reveal many layers of complexity. Everything plot-wise and art-wise, from the first episode to the newest one, has changed over time and I love every bit of the journey so far. One thing readers never fail to forget when it comes to the increasing breaks in publication is how much detail there is in the current episodes. Yes, Berserk has always been incredibly detailed, but it has become more fantastic with time, with no end in sight. So shut it. /end rant :azan:

Back on topic, Oburi and a bunch of others have already said it, but my highest hopes are for the movie to cover the Black Swordsman arc as faithfully as possible; only hints at the Golden Age (Hey! like the manga! :troll:) Pleasepleasepleaseplease...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Using footage from the new Berserk CMs to put Skull Knight in the original anime:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/LMKiKi9RLqE[/flash]​

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
This makes me happy. What a great atmosphere. I can only imagine how freaky it would be to have Skull Knight show up in the middle of a dark forest.
Being alone in the dark, with just a fire would creep me out sincerely.

Great use of sound effects by the way. I like the tweaks you made to the footage. SK is masked in shadow when he first shows up, good attention to detail there. It's appropriately dark.

I think the studio working on the new anime should hire some of the experts here to ensure accuracy to the source material. :void:

Darkman

Obey the one Law of Tooth & Claw
Bravo :ubik:

I liked that very nice addition to the recut.

Indeed that was one of many important parts of the story that was left out of the original anime. :puck:

Such a chilling atmosphere and such a crucial usage of forshadowing events to come.

geo jee

Darkman said:
Bravo :ubik:

I liked that very nice addition to the recut.

Indeed that was one of many important parts of the story that was left out of the original anime. :puck:

Such a chilling atmosphere and such a crucial usage of forshadowing events to come.

I second that, you can make it a bit bigger if you want by inserting other parts of his departure (like his hole encounter with Griffith) while looking at the fire.
But other than that, one hell of a Recut. :troll:

I am glad to see more info about the new Berserk series/films came out. I stopped coming on here because of no news but I'm glad I came back. Griffith recut seems to be doing good as well.

FINALLY a new tweet. Too bad it just says "I know I haven't updated in a while. I will as soon as there is a new story" (or something of the sort). I've been waiting forever! It's been almost 2 months since something "new" has been said! I want a new trailer puhlleeease! :guts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom