New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
So, finally confirmation that Miura's okay.

And some new Puck goodness http://www.hakusensha.co.jp/message/index.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
So, finally confirmation that Miura's okay.

And some new Puck goodness http://www.hakusensha.co.jp/message/index.html

Great stuff. Miura says that since the refugees and victims can't see Hakusensha's website for now, he'd rather make a message for those who aren't in these places (the non-victims). And that though they've already been doing like that, they should:

:puck: Not panic-buy (don't uselessly stock on stuff)
:puck: Save (don't waste)
:puck: Donate

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Great stuff. Miura says that since the refugees and victims can't see Hakusensha's website for now, he'd rather make a message for those who aren't in these places (the non-victims). And that though they've already been doing like that, they should:

Whew, glad Miura's okay. Very good advice, too. If only his message could reach those in California (and now in WA State :schierke:) who are taking potassium iodide pills in preparation for the atomic cloud of death that doesn't actually exist. Don't panic-ingest! :puck:

puella

Berserk forever
I believed Miura was OK. However it feels good to be totally reassured now that it's been confirmed.
Even in such a simple illustration, his great talent can't be hidden. Concise, intelligent, effective and modest.
Thinking Miura should save electricity and necessities breaks my heart. :judo:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Such good news! It seemed like all my favorite mangaka were the last to be confirmed during this whole thing. :judo:

Aazealh said:

Smart man.

Is claymore a CG anime? I don't really don't know any particular CG based anime, or even if I've seen one. But I did just watch the entire series of Claymore (which I loved) and it was beautiful IMO.

X

Xem

Death May Die said:
Is claymore a CG anime? I don't really don't know any particular CG based anime, or even if I've seen one. But I did just watch the entire series of Claymore (which I loved) and it was beautiful IMO.

I'm pretty sure it works like this. There's regular animation, like Akira, then there's CG, like Toy Story. Berserk (I think) will be a combination of the two.... like Ghost in the Shell or somethin'.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Deci said:
I'm pretty sure it works like this. There's regular animation, like Akira, then there's CG, like Toy Story. Berserk (I think) will be a combination of the two.... like Ghost in the Shell or somethin'.

I'm pretty sure that explanation doesn't work.

CG is because it's made solely, well, on computers. The animation is not done traditionally style, drawing frame by frame, and they can use 3D models. In the case of Berserk they will probably use motion capture for animation and 3D models with textures that give you the anime look. It's probably less costly, but it never has that rough look traditional animation has, looking too clean most of the time. It works fine for sterile looks like science fiction and mecha anime, not so much for Berserk... So a very good art direction will be necessary. I'm confident they will make it look good.

But hell, sometimes I miss the old rough look 80s/90s animating had, current ones are already too clean, even when not fully CG. When you have a hard, violent, or medieval world, you could say "gritty", that old look complements the mood IMO. I never noticed it back then, but when I started seeing modern anime... I felt the change.

From the ads it looks like they're using traditional animation for the characters but may use CG for the complicated armor and for certain characters like Skull Knight. The recent Mad House anime version of Iron Man did that, using traditional animation for the human characters but CG for the cars, robots, and for Iron Man's armor. Fullmetal Alchemist also did it recently with Envy being animated sometimes as a cell-shaded 3D model, and sometimes switching him to traditional when they wanted a lot of stuff to pulsate or something. They don't change over in the same shot though.
It's complicated with Berserk though because Guts doesn't wear a mask most of the time (except when he's in Berserker mode) so they might chose to composite a traditionally animated head onto a CG armor body which could come out looking a little weird. Or they could use all CG for the action scenes where there's a lot of Guts in his armor moving around.

Japan seems to know that CG doesn't look as good as traditional so they try to avoid it, but sometimes it's just too convenient and cost effective to use CG. That's why it's really awesome when you've got modern anime like Gurren Lagaan that don't use CG for the mechas; It's becoming a rarity. Whereas in America producers seem to think that CG sells, so shows that don't need to be done with CG (like the new Green Lantern series) are being done with it even though it's more expensive.

Griffith said:
Great explanations Megatron and CBS. I'll never forget you guys. BTW, could some email me when the new anime comes out... wherever I am. :judo:

Why people think I'm a Decepticon? :judo:

Anyway, are you going on a journey for enlightenment or something? "Whatever you are"? :D

I just wish we had more news soon, but with the tsunami, I'm thinking the movie will be delayed. Since there was no confirmation it would be released this year before, I bet it'll be postponed for 2012. Though a small trailer would be nice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metatron said:
I just wish we had more news soon, but with the tsunami, I'm thinking the movie will be delayed. Since there was no confirmation it would be released this year before, I bet it'll be postponed for 2012. Though a small trailer would be nice.

Well they had announced a theatrical release for this summer, but yeah, given the circumstances it might be delayed.

voodoo_sh said:
2012 ? Thats possible. Oh man If this happen I'll go make sepuku

You'll go commit sepuku, you mean. Nah, don't do it. Take the delay as one more reason to keep on living. ;)

(I kinda need a huge delay :void:)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
In comparison to what's going on in Japan right now and the number of people who have died over there, a partial delay in an animated adaptation of Berserk isn't that big of a deal.

Rhombaad said:
In comparison to what's going on in Japan right now and the number of people who have died over there, a partial delay in an animated adaptation of Berserk isn't that big of a deal.

Indeed! But still, it's a deal. I can't bring myself to say I the tsunami tragedy altered my interest in the movie, after all.

Hm, it's a personal issue I'm having nowadays. We're talking about Japan's tragedy, but there are many other terrible things happening almost every single day around the world, children dying, war, starvation, etc. And none of those things affect our interests or daily lives. We only feel bad or talk about it when we see the news of what happened, otherwise we keep with our normal lives even if we know there are many people being brutally hurt right now, and not really caring. Because of this I try to refrain from expressing too much sympathy over a known case or disaster, because I start feeling hypocritical. I can't give too much attention to some and in other days forget about the rest, it bothers me. It bothers me some people are remembered, but so many others forgoten. It's how our society works, and it's just... It's been bothering me. I'm not saying it shouldn't be that way. We wouldn't have any mental health if we lived thinking of everything bad that's going on each second. Hypocrisy, I really hate it, and we all are guilty of it. We can often get out of hand and make others suffer or turn our backs to those who need it most. Entire groups of people, forgotten by the developed nations, by all of our society, by countries and people that love to make songs and movies about the plight of the poor and war torn, while at the same time they help keep the machine that consumes them going... So I at least try to control it as much as I can. I want to keep focused on the bigger picture, even though the media makes it difficult. :/

So I can't say I'm not a bit annoyed deep down, but my reason makes it OK.

This wasn't directed to any of you, BTW. It's just something that sticks with me everytime people start discussing one tragedy too much. Uh, hope I didn't stray from the topic too much, though it still relates to the tsunami and movie... Indeed such a tragedy, even though it's useless for me to say anything anymore. Japan is good at recovering, they've been through many hardships. It makes people stronger. I wish for that to happen.

And for a trailer by the end of the year, at least. :serpico:

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
Aazealh said:
Well they had announced a theatrical release for this summer, but yeah, given the circumstances it might be delayed.

I think you're right but i hope you're wrong, look up this anime guide for what is coming this summer(before someone ask it does include theatrical releases look at the bottom).

Here is the list: http://moetron.com/uploads/20110427_summer_guide.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom