New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
voodoo_sh said:
As a berserk fan, I want them to start from Black Swordsman arc. Someone called 'Black Swordsman arc' one-dimensional, and I partially agree.
The Golden Age arc is deeper and indeed more catching, and if they want to get Berserk fan base widened, they should start covering from Golden Age arc
so no problem here
I disagree. The Golden Age isn't very deep, in comparison to the Black Swordsman arc. In fact, it's a bit more straightforward. I think that a lot of people feel more "comfortable" with the golden age, because it's a reality that we can grasp in our minds. It makes sense. You can almost say "Oh, this is like medieval times."

The Golden Age is meant as just a flashback, to understand why Guts is Guts and why the world of Berserk is berserk. In volume 1, we're thrown into this dark, grimy hell of a world where monsters are barons and counts. And for some reason this man hates them. He sure doesn't seem like he's fighting for truth and justice and love. Volumes 1 through 3 are about painting a picture of this horrible reality that Guts has to survive in. We're not sure if Guts is a horrible person or not, the way he carries on. We read The Black Swordsman arc and it culminates with what seems to be the cause of Guts' anger: Griffith. We're left thinking, "Holy shit, what did this demon do? How did it happen? Why are there monsters everywhere? What exactly are these apostle monsters?" Then we're treated to the Golden Age, and not ALL of our questions are answered, but we're left understanding why this man, Guts, is so fucked up. We're left sympathizing with a maniac. And we're rooting for him to continue on his path of revenge. We're left torn over Griffith, now seeing the man that became Femto, the heartless demon that told his former friend he was worthless and beneath his notice.

The Black Swordsman arc is also a reminder that we "know what's coming" when we see The Golden Age. It's meant to be a reminder: It's not always gonna be this colorful and happy.

First Post! :badbone:
Honestly i think the way the film is going to work out is with guts trekking towards finding casca. While some large flashbacks about the golden age arc are happening at the same time . Then the flashbacks will catch up to speed with guts going towards the tower of conviction to fight mozgus or something like that.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
DaBakerMann said:
First Post! :badbone:
Honestly i think the way the film is going to work out is with guts trekking towards finding casca. While some large flashbacks about the golden age arc are happening at the same time . Then the flashbacks will catch up to speed with guts going towards the tower of conviction to fight mozgus or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Btw, welcome! :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well put Gobs, the Black Swordsman arc isn't one-dimensional, it's just analyzed that way by too many. It's the foundation and natural microcosm of the complexities of the entire series, and it just so happens to be short enough to be fit into a single film. On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing how doing a one-dimensional version of Golden Age over a series of films, because even then it would likely need to be condensed, is going to best serve the series or its fans.

This notion that because the Golden Age was the focus of the original anime, as it should have been at the time, a new animation project like this must go back to that well is ridiculous. I'm going to start calling it the Golden Calf Arc. If they'd focused mainly on the Black Swordsmen sequences available at the time in the first anime, and it was a success, would they have to do that again this time too? It's the chicken or the egg theory. I mean, why was the Golden Age successful as the focus of the anime in the first place? Because it's good. Why would Black Swordsman also work? Because it's also good, and a better introduction for new fans as well as continuation for fans of the original anime. So, let's not pretend the Black Swordsman is somehow so unmarketable compared to the Golden Age material, which is arguably harder to get into without the Black Swordsman arc coming before it. All of you talking about chronological completeness, are you saying it would be best to introduce the series by having Guts' raped as a child in the first ten minutes? There's an accessible introduction!

Finally, none of these casual fans that loved the original anime would scoff at seeing what became of Guts afterward, so the producers wouldn't be alienating or losing the audience attracted by the previous anime. On the contrary, they'd be building on it, and do you really think those casual fans are less interested in something new than seeing the same thing, which they obviously didn't get more into, done twice? That's just inane, and it's silly that people are lauding an approach so uncreative from both an artistic and business standpoint. Anyway, this is all academic at this point, it's going to be Golden Age; I just hope they do it justice and they don't stop there. I'm with Deci, still hoping for the best, but expecting the worst... with reason. If worse comes to worst, I'll just have to adjust my expectations in order to enjoy this for what it is, or basically settle for less. Sounds like a lot of you are way ahead of me though, which I guess is what they're counting on if they do indeed take the easy way out, as I fear.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I wonder how much Miura is involved in this. I wonder if he's thinking, "Wow, here we go again," sending script corrections back to the studio, scripts covering the same area as they covered before. Revisiting the same arc. Must be either tiresome or hopefully a welcome blast-from-the-past for him.

I've been wondering the same. It's hard to say for sure. Given all the inconsistencies we've seen though, I'd tend to think he's not involved too closely.

JezzaX said:
Oh don't get me wrong, as a Berserk fan, I would love to see it done exactly as the author intended and from a selfish point of view, I wouldn't want it any other way. What I'm talking about here is a pure business point of view for a studio.

Well you know, I think you should stick to speaking from your own point of view instead of pretending to be a studio executive, because you're not qualified in any way whatsoever to do so. Your guesses as to what the reasons might be for the studio to do things the way it's doing them aren't interesting nor enlightening. But most importantly they're not needed. The studio is doing whatever it wants to do regardless of our opinion on this forum, so you don't have to try and laboriously justify its decisions with misinformation, incorrect assumptions and backwards logic. What you say has no legitimacy and so it's barely even relevant to the discussion. Nor will it ever be a justification for what the studio is or isn't doing anyway. The role of fans isn't to excuse every single outrage the series they're supposedly fans of is subjected to in the name of their alleged understanding of business logic. I wish more people around here understood that.

JezzaX said:
The Golden age arc appeals to a more broad audience upon first glance due to the familiarity of the characters to those who are aware of the series but have never invested time in it and the naivety of those who aren't familiar with the story.

Don't post blind statements like that unless you've got something to back them up. Which you don't, in the present case. Those who are aware of the series are familar with Guts. That's who the series is all about. And I don't see why people who aren't familiar with the story would be more naive than others, nor what it has to do with the discussion. In short you're just stating false truths and expecting us to swallow them whole without noticing anything. Well that won't do. You're utterly failing to provide any reason as to why the Golden Age arc would appeal to a broader audience. In 1997, the TV series revolved around the Golden Age arc simply because that's where the manga was at. But we're not in 1997 anymore.

JezzaX said:
It's not my vision that is clouded as such, but a portion of the general public who have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to newly introduced media to their brain

Insulting the general public doesn't make your baseless allegations any more valid. Nor does it strengthen the idea that for some reason a 10 volumes arc that is a flashback would make for a better theatrical film than a 3 volumes one that was created by the author as the introduction to the series.

JezzaX said:
as a theatrical release (especially if it's done as my hope of a trilogy) there would be a far greater impact on those who aren't Berserk fans by giving them a more drawn out story with characters they can develop an emotion for across more than one film and that is something I'm prepared to grasp and understand

It'd be great if you could grasp and understand all of what I told you above too, namely that just stating that the Golden Age arc would have a "far greater impact" on the general public does not make it true. Nor is it at all sure that the studio decided to start with that part in order to have a "greater impact" on the public. There are many reasons, and not all of them valid, as to why a studio or distributor would want that. And again, as you have absolutely no idea what the actual reason is, nor have any authority on the matter, it would probably be better if you didn't waste everybody's time with this matter.

By the way, how about trying to grasp and understand that a series of movies could have started with a Black Swordsman arc and then moved on to the Golden Age arc? Or that before planning for the audience to develop feelings for the characters over the course of a trilogy, it might be good to plan for the first movie to be enough of a success that sequels will be greenlit? And speaking of developing emotion for the characters, have you even thought for a second about how Guts grows on the reader over the course of the Black Swordsman arc, and how the transition to the Golden Age arc works so well precisely because we already know how the character will end (the same goes for Griffith/Femto, but more intriguingly)? Guess not.

voodoo_sh said:
Someone called 'Black Swordsman arc' one-dimensional, and I partially agree.

You're partially wrong.

voodoo_sh said:
The Golden Age arc is deeper and indeed more catching

I don't see how. It's just another part of the story that builds on what the Black Swordsman arc introduced beforehand. The two are complementary.

voodoo_sh said:
if they want to get Berserk fan base widened, they should start covering from Golden Age arc

What makes you think so? Any movie is likely to widen the fan base, and as the Golden Age arc was already animated in the past, another part of the story would certainly have more chances to bring in people who overlooked it the first time around as well as people who already saw it and want something new.

DaBakerMann said:

Welcome to SK.net! Unfortunately what you describe isn't going to happen according to the little we know.

Personally I'm hoping they go with The Golden Age and concentrate on volumes 4 through 8 of the manga. What we've seen so far seems to hint that that's the route they're going to take. Just my opinion.

Wait that comment about Susumu turning down the film was a joke ,right?

Sammoniac

You taffers!
CCS said:
Wait that comment about Susumu turning down the film was a joke ,right?

Its WAS a joke, but maybe WON'T be a joke in the near future ... Let's just say that Hirasawa should definitely join FORCES with Studio 4C because this anime is the most ambitious Berserk project yet :azan:

Griffith

CCS said:
Personally I'm hoping they go with The Golden Age and concentrate on volumes 4 through 8 of the manga. What we've seen so far seems to hint that that's the route they're going to take. Just my opinion.

That all sounds well and good, but I've thought about this... A LOT. The original anime, discounting the first episode and about an ep and a half of added Adon filler, took at least sixteen episodes to cover volumes 4-8. So, let's do the math: 20 minutes x 16 = 320 minutes, and that's with some cuts and compromises already. So, unless it's going to be over five hours long (and for all we know it could be 90 minutes or less), one movie certainly isn't going to "concentrate" on volumes 4 through 8, more like skim them.

Griffith said:
That all sounds well and good, but I've thought about this... A LOT. The original anime took at least sixteen episodes to cover volumes 4-8, not counting the first episode and about an ep and a half of added Adon filler. So, let's do the math: 20 minutes x 16 = 320 minutes, and that's with some cuts and compromises already. So, unless it's going to be over five hours long (and for all we know it could be 90 minutes or less), one movie certainly isn't going to "concentrate" on volumes 4 through 8, more like skim them.
I think we have to be realistic and say the pacing is either going to be brutally fast or some characters are just not going to be focused on. People have short attention spans for things these days so we have to consider not everyone is a berserk fan who has read all the manga :judo: It is still going to take a hell of a budget just to recreate some of the scenes in berserk, but studio 4c is awesome..... so no worries???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Out of all the pages upon pages of discussions, these are the two core opinions I've seen:

"If You're Going to Do It, Do It Right." and "Just Do It."

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
IMAGES AHOY!

IncantatioN was nice enough to take and share some shots from the anime news section of YA.
ya-anime01.jpg

ya-anime02.jpg

ya-anime03.jpg

ya-anime04.jpg

ya-anime05.jpg

ya-anime06.jpg

ya-anime07.jpg

ya-anime08.jpg

ya-anime09.jpg

ya-anime10.jpg

ya-anime11.jpg

Welp that's the Golden Age all right. I'm stoked. I know Griffith doesn't agree with me that it's the best thing for them to cover, but I believe it is.

Also now see Gut's boot is in the snow. That's why the foot looked small on the lowres image.

Well I'm stoked.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I like that all the Casca images they chose are of her crying. Judo's last words are truer now than ever before.

She looks pretty good though! Especially compared to that commercial she was in. Is it me or can we see more nudity in that leafpile shot?

Griffith

DaBakerMann said:
I think we have to be realistic and say the pacing is either going to be brutally fast or some characters are just not going to be focused on. People have short attention spans for things these days so we have to consider not everyone is a berserk fan who has read all the manga :judo:It is still going to take a hell of a budget just to recreate some of the scenes in berserk, but studio 4c is awesome..... so no worries???
Walter said:
Out of all the pages upon pages of discussions, these are the two core opinions I've seen:

I don't know which group is more cynical; at least I think this can be done well, realistically. Also, DaBakerMann, I don't want to hear about how important it is to gear the movie towards people who aren't fans of Berserk. Last I checked this was happening because of all the fans Berserk has, not the ones it doesn't. We don't need to consider them: Fuck 'em! :guts:

Everyone stop with the fake business understanding, "Oh, I know they need to fuck it up because that makes good business sense." Shut up.

Gobolatula said:
IMAGES AHOY!

IncantatioN was nice enough to take and share some shots from the anime news section of YA.
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime01.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime02.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime03.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime04.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime05.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime06.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime07.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime08.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime09.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime10.jpg
http://www.erikthejuiceman.com/ya-anime11.jpg

Thank you, guys! The images of Casca that look like they're from volume 12 (though she's wearing the wrong armor, another wardrobe malfunction?) give me hope that these promotional photos aren't an indicator of what's going to be in the first film, so maybe it won't be as rushed as the shots of the second duel between Guts and Griffith would indicate.

CCS said:
I know Griffith doesn't agree with me that it's the best thing for them to cover, but I believe it is.

Actually, I was explaining why your particular proposal was misconceived using some facts; not surprising that doesn't mesh with your beliefs. As for all what's "the best thing for them to cover," see above about our would-be business advocates.

Griffith said:
I don't know which group is more cynical; at least I think this can be done well, realistically. Also, DaBakerMann, I don't want to hear about how important it is to gear the movie towards people who aren't fans of Berserk. Last I checked this was happening because of all the fans Berserk has, not the ones it doesn't. We don't need to consider them: Fuck 'em! :guts:

Everyone stop with the fake business understanding, "Oh, I know they need to fuck it up because that makes good business sense." Shut up.

And that's why we love ya Griff, tell it how it is. :slan: Why does Guts look a bit asian in the shots? I have to say as a huge fan of Berserk, I am going to be pissed if they don't cover the first 3 volumes. Why bother telling us your going to be "faithful" to the manga if your not, it's only going to annoy the fans. The one thing I like is that it's going to be released in January, that'll be a nice birthday gift for me...... I hope. :iva:

I think the only thing that has been bothering me so far is how spread out all the clips and pictures are from what we've seen. Going on Studio 4C's previous productions of doing 15 minute shorts, I start to wonder how the film might be broken up. On the flip side, the fact we've seen stuff from beyond the golden age arc in the original leaked images, leads me to have an ounce of optimism that they will cover the entirety of the manga in the correct order, even if the title of the first film seems to suggest it's about Griffith and the beherit.

THANKS INCANTATION & GOBOLATULA FOR THE SHOTS!!! I didn't realize there were going to be so many!!! What a cool surprise. :ubik:

Griffith said:
Thank you, guys! The images of Casca that look like they're from volume 12 (though she's wearing the wrong armor, another wardrobe malfunction?) give me hope that these promotional photos aren't an indicator of what's going to be in the first film, so maybe it won't be as rushed as the shots of the second duel between Guts and Griffith would indicate.

Great point!!! That would just be waaaaay too crazy if they tried to fit volumes 4-12 in one movie. Perhaps, this will really be more spread out that we thought. I will hold onto the hope with you Griff =).

PS, Lots of text on those pages... I will send 100 cyber man kisses to anyone who can translate for us. :slan:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
DirectDK said:
THANKS INCANTATION & GOBOLATULA FOR THE SHOTS!!! I didn't realize there were going to be so many!!! What a cool surprise. :ubik:
IncantatioN's the man here, who was able to get his magazine sooner than I could. I just resized them a little and uploaded. A lot of the text shots are closeups of the various bits of text on the pages, for possible translation purposes. Though, I think all the key info is all out there now. But, who knows?

Walter said:

I think in my case I'm both. Which is... REAAALLLY frustrating sometimes, because there's a tiny battle going on in my brain. I'm like "YYYYAY YAY YAY NEW ANIMEEEEEE," which gets killed by "EEEEEEhh.... What are they DOING?! Why are they doing bad stuff?! WHYYYYY" which is then shut up by, "YYYYAY YAY YAY NEW ANIMEEEEEE" and so on...

It's strange being excitedly happy and weary concurrently. The obvious solutions are to either pick a dumb side or stop giving a shit. And I don't think I'm capable of either. I need Berserk therapy..

DirectDK said:
PS, Lots of text on those pages... I will send 100 cyber man kisses to anyone who can translate for us. :slan:
OH MAN I'm gonna learn Japanese as fast as I can...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CCS said:
Personally I'm hoping they go with The Golden Age and concentrate on volumes 4 through 8 of the manga.

Starting with Guts & Donovan in the tent?

Griffith said:
The original anime, discounting the first episode and about an ep and a half of added Adon filler, took at least sixteen episodes to cover volumes 4-8. So, let's do the math: 20 minutes x 16 = 320 minutes, and that's with some cuts and compromises already. So, unless it's going to be over five hours long (and for all we know it could be 90 minutes or less), one movie certainly isn't going to "concentrate" on volumes 4 through 8, more like skim them.

Yeah... Even taking into account the fact it'll be directed and edited differently (being a theatrical release instead of a TV series), they couldn't fit that much into one movie without cutting out a lot of material.

DaBakerMann said:
I think we have to be realistic and say the pacing is either going to be brutally fast or some characters are just not going to be focused on.

At this point I think anybody willing to be realistic is ready to accept that these movies are likely not going to be as faithful to the original material as we were told they would be, but that isn't a reason to start excusing and rationalizing everything.

DaBakerMann said:
People have short attention spans for things these days so we have to consider not everyone is a berserk fan who has read all the manga :judo:

Why do we have to consider that? We're not being paid to market this movie to housewives. That shouldn't be our damn concern.

CCS said:
Welp that's the Golden Age all right. I'm stoked. I know Griffith doesn't agree with me that it's the best thing for them to cover, but I believe it is.

Then again you're the guy who believed Griffith and Femto were different people who would end up fighting one another.

Gobolatula said:
She looks pretty good though! Especially compared to that commercial she was in. Is it me or can we see more nudity in that leafpile shot?

What instantly struck me is that the smaller picture has her covered with the right vegetation (ferns). Maybe this is an indication that the final product will not necessarily correspond to the early footage we've seen? I guess I shouldn't be too hopeful, but I can't help it.

Griffith said:

I second that.

Griffith said:
The images of Casca that look like they're from volume 12 (though she's wearing the wrong armor, another wardrobe malfunction?)

Seems so. It's quickly becoming a trend.

JezzaX said:
I think the only thing that has been bothering me so far is how spread out all the clips and pictures are from what we've seen. Going on Studio 4C's previous productions of doing 15 minute shorts, I start to wonder how the film might be broken up. On the flip side, the fact we've seen stuff from beyond the golden age arc in the original leaked images, leads me to have an ounce of optimism that they will cover the entirety of the manga in the correct order, even if the title of the first film seems to suggest it's about Griffith and the beherit.

I don't know, I think as far as the movies are concerned it's already pretty clear we won't be seeing the entirety of the manga in the correct order. Unless it covers volumes 1-4 and ends with the water bucket scene between Guts and Griffith, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Gobolatula said:
IncantatioN's the man here, who was able to get his magazine sooner than I could. I just resized them a little and uploaded. A lot of the text shots are closeups of the various bits of text on the pages, for possible translation purposes. Though, I think all the key info is all out there now. But, who knows?

Most of it is just marketing hype, but there's a message from Miura himself! I'll try to post a translation of it later, but a clearer picture would be appreciated. As for the rest, they say the scene pictured in the magazine ("the moment of separation") is one of the greatest moment in Berserk/the Golden Age arc, that sort of stuff. They say there'll be a nationwide roadshow. The director says their goal is to do a great work, to be faithful to the original and create the atmosphere of the real Middle Ages-like world.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
So much reading! @_@

Well.. after reading all your guys' text for about an hour, I'm now too afraid to post my opinion out fear of getting ripped apart by Griffith.
(I mostly agree with what Jezzax said anyway.)

These images are great! Thank you!
Looking at these images makes me wonder where exactly will they start and end the first movie. They are giving a lot of attention Guts & Griffith's duel. I think that would be a good climatic ending, or maybe a cliff hanger would be better.
(ohhz noez! Griffith is getting captured? *gasp* Nuuuuuuu! :0 )

Although like many of you said, they would need to skim a lot of the story at a break-neck speed to get to that point in just the first movie. Still, I think that would be an amazing ending. And I think it would a nice point for the next movie to start on. (Not that I approve of skimming through the story. I'm just imagining the ending of the first movie with a goofy smile on my face.)

Good stuff Gobs, thanks for helping out so much! Sorry for the bad images guys, I took quick photos off my cellphone versus my camera because my card-reader was with a friend who's out of town. Gobs was patient enough to get them one by one and upload it for us.

It'll be awesome if anyone could translate the texts!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for taking those pictures, IncantatioN!

I was thinking about what the first film might contain while trying to fall asleep last night. Since the name of the film is Golden Age I - The Egg of the Supreme King, I was wondering if it might start with Gambino finding Guts beneath his mother's corpse and go right to the end of the encounter with Zodd. Afterall, one of the last things Zodd mentions before flying off is Griffith's crimson beherit (The Egg of the King). I think that would be an appropriate place to leave off and I think that amount of material could more adequately be covered in a 2 hour film than volumes 4 - 8.

The reason I think they may not go up to Griffith and Guts' second duel is, like Griffith pointed out, the fact that the images of Casca are from beyond Vol. 8. If that's the case, they've done a really poor job showcasing what will be in the first film and have given fans the wrong impression.

On a slightly different topic, I was also wondering about why Guts is in the same outfit that we see him wearing in the first promo image (poster?) of the movie when he fights Griffith for the second time. Perhaps they're going The Simpsons route. What I mean by that is they may be keeping the characters in the same armor, clothes, etc. throughout parts of the series. It's something animators have done in the past to tie one character to one specific set of clothing to make them more recognizable. It's a cheap way of doing things and really only makes sense if you're trying to reach the minds of children (which the animators shouldn't be doing for Berserk's audience).

If this is the case, we'll probably be seeing Guts in this armor all the way up to the eclipse. Same sword, same cape, etc. One of my favorite things about Berserk is Miura's attention to detail and his constant changing of Guts' armor (as well as the other Falcons), since it's boring for a character to be clad in the same exact armor for the entire series. Hell, the armor Guts wears after leaving the Falcons is one of my favorites. I would be really disappointed if they go with this way of doing things.

Anyway, it's just some stuff I was thinking about last night while dozing off.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Griffith said:

Exactly. This has been the only positive thing on my mind ever since the short promo clips. I can't help but get the feeling that they're doing a shoddy job promoting this thing (Hmm, I wonder why? :troll:) and that the images we've seen are too all over the place to paint a clear picture on what this film will cover. The only thing I'd say for a certainty at this point is that it will take place in The Golden Age, which I'm really bummed about. But besides that, I'm not even going to worry about this thing until a proper trailer or some concrete information is released. Going off of their twitter usage, we should have a good idea of what the movie's gonna be about a week before the theatrical release! :slan:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom